Code of Conduct

Default Heat Exposure and Ordering During Summer

I've heard that heat exposure is bad for fragrances and can essentially alter their chemistry. Well, and this may be a stupid question (or maybe not), but does anyone here hold off on buying fragrances over the summer for this reason? I guess a related question is how long does it take for this problem to be a problem? Obviously, for it to get to me during the summer, it has to travel in a truck and then most likely sit in my mailbox (or, possibly even worse, by my door in the sunlight). Then again, the bottle will be in two boxes -- the cardboard shipment box and then the box it's packaged in. So, with all of this being said, do you think it's safe to order fragrances during the summer? Thanks.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Heat Exposure and Ordering During Summer

Quote Originally Posted by J-S View Post
    but does anyone here hold off on buying fragrances over the summer for this reason?
    I personally don't.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

don't deceive with belief

Most of those bottles would get baked in any case, in warehouses for example.

Relax, you are buying perfumes.

Not bananas or pineapples.
    Currently wearing: Bogart by Jacques Bogart

It takes an extended period (weeks or months) of warmer temperatures to have a perfume damaged, so I wouldn't worry about this either.

cacio

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post

Right, the fragrances still have to be stored somewhere, no telling what environment its in. Them being hot in the mail is probably the least worry. If its a concern you can use fragrancenet and use shoprunner which is mostly 2 day shipping. If you have amex you have free shop runner as well. Also sites like Notino tend to wrap the packages pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I personally don't.
    Just for the record, you personally don't buy, or don't hold off on buying?

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post

Right, and fragrances are much more expensive than bananas or pineapples, and are items you plan to have for much longer! But I get your point. As long as they're more resistant than maybe I'm fearing they are, I guess it's not a problem.

I can't help but wonder about the Canadians. They live in a place where its routinely -30 degrees (a light chill they say) and their mailboxes are outside on the street so any juice they order sits inside a freezing cold metal box until they go and collect it. The switch in temperatures from sorting office>delivery depot>van>icebox on the street>home can't do the fragrance any favours. Any cannucks care to chime in?

I would be more worry about wearing the right fragrance in the summer, as the heat could evaporate some ingredients of the perfume. I experienced this first hand. Although some fragrances are more resilient than others.

I don't worry about buying fragrances online in the summer because transit times aren't long if you're buying from a reputable American-based source.

It takes four business days for the average LuckyScent or FragranceNet order to go from the loading dock to my doorstep, and Notino and Sephora are even faster at two days. Two to four days is nothing when it comes to heat exposure for everything but perishables. And of course, fragrance is not a perishable.
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

Niche & Hard-To-Find Sale (US Only): Frederic Malle, vintage Infusion de Vetiver, By Kilian

All personally ordered fragrances shipped (and most likely also stored) during summer were never harmed due to heat exposure so far, without the slightest negative impact on their performance
    Currently wearing: Zeus by Kelsey Berwin

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    It takes an extended period (weeks or months) of warmer temperatures to have a perfume damaged, so I wouldn't worry about this either.

cacio
    This

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    I can't help but wonder about the Canadians. They live in a place where its routinely -30 degrees (a light chill they say) and their mailboxes are outside on the street so any juice they order sits inside a freezing cold metal box until they go and collect it. The switch in temperatures from sorting office>delivery depot>van>icebox on the street>home can't do the fragrance any favours. Any cannucks care to chime in?
    Not a cannuck, but as a scientist I can assure you that temperature CHANGE per se is not deleterious to solutions in a sealed container. Only the sum of time AT various temperatures affects the substance. Temperature benefit or detriment is RELATIVE to a given temperature, too. Thus, cooling something is beneficial relative to the state of keeping it at the higher temperature, and detrimental relative to keeping it at the lower temperature. In other words, cool is always better, so the more time there, the better.

The same is not true of things that depend on constant temperature to maintain physical (not chemical) form, like gels and emulsions. Also, leaky bottles on their sides can get pumped dry by temperature fluctuations. But other than that, temperature fluctuations crack sidewalks, not fragrances.
    https://cologniac.com - raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Valcan by Kanebo