Code of Conduct

Thread: New to Guerlain

Lightbulb New to Guerlain

Been wanting to try out some Guerlain perfumes for women. I am in my early 20s and have been hooked on fragrances. What are your must have (Top 5) perfumes From Guerlain would you suggest for a newcomer like me. I would try smelling out the scents from your list because I don't know where to start. I am looking for floral-sweet scents with a hint of freshness and uniqueness to it.

Blog Entries

Default Re: New to Guerlain

I think it's important to sniff some of the "classic" Guerlains for reference, even if you don't like them personally. Shalimar and Mitsouko are two "must sniffs" on that list.

Looking at what you like, maybe two suggestions. Both are available at Overstock.com for decent prices, too. These are my taste - not necessarily the most likely to please YOU.

Idylle

I smelled Idylle on a young lady in France, and it was fantastic, because she did not hold back, and used a lot. This one is very floral and fresh, but not terribly sweet, IMO.

Guerlain-Idylle-Womens-3.4-ounce-Eau-de-Parfum-Spray-057a67d6-87de-43d3-b419-62bd322b13e5_600.jpg

La Petite Robe Noire Eau Fraiche

This one (LPRNEF) has been described as very fresh floral sweet - "pistachio macaron drier sheets" - and I tend to agree with that description. I personally like this one.
    Guerlain-La-Petite-Robe-Noire-Eau-Fraiche-Womens-1.6-ounce-Eau-de-Toilette-Spray-18a857d6-4e6d-4.jpg
    https://cologniac.com - raging for the machines

Guerlain classics are like caviar or Blue Cheese, an acquired taste. Work your way into those slowly. I would start with something that I just wrote about today, Shalimar Cologne 2015 (not the old style bottle of yesteryear) which I am very taken with. La Petite Robe Noir means Little Black Dress and that is No 2 on my list. No 3 is Pampelune from the Aqua allegoria range, a summertime Grapefruit hit.........No 4 is Nahema, a rosy Turkish Delight and then L'Instant for women, a honeyed confection.
    The years teach us much, which the days never knew

Thank u all...I appreciate it a lot even though it's just two responses. Point me to a right way to start.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaO View Post
    Thank u all...I appreciate it a lot even though it's just two responses. Point me to a right way to start.
    You should get some more today. Plenty of Guerlain lovers here!!!

Within their regular line: perhaps Insolence EDT and EDP, but also the Aqua Allegoria product range- the latter even more appropriate as a light, but not too sporty, rather smart-casual selection for summer.

Within their exclusive line: Songe d`un Bois d`Ete.
    Currently wearing: Elite by Floris

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I wore Nahema recently, an older version maybe, and it was great.

I would suggest getting out of the house and going to a Guerlain concession, if there is one within easy distance. You might be able to try more than five fragrances, and probably speak with some well-trained and insightful staff who know something about the brand.

As others were saying, the fruity floral offer in Guerlain is la petite robe noire (and flankers). But one should smell the classics as well: Mitsouko, Jicky, Shalimar, Chamade, etc

cacio

Samsara gets a lot of love here, deservedly so in my opinion

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Funwithfrags View Post
    I would suggest getting out of the house and going to a Guerlain concession, if there is one within easy distance. You might be able to try more than five fragrances, and probably speak with some well-trained and insightful staff who know something about the brand.
    Good advice.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Samsara for sure, crowdpleaser

Shalimar if you like vanilla spicey

You can smell them at Sephora, widely available.

I'd definitely recommend trying Shalimar, L'Heure Bleu, Jicky and Mitsouko as reference perfumes to try and understand the house's trajectory. Maybe also Nahema. A department store SA will be happy to help, I'm sure.

Development is a big part of Guerlain's frags - the first 45 mins of wear will see their scents change *a lot*, so give them time to stretch their legs.

Sweet florals with a hint of freshness - L'Instant Guerlain EDT would be worth a shot as would La Petite Robe Noire and flankers, as others have said. Aqua Allegoria can be nice, but their longevity isn't great and they wear more like colognes than perfumes. Mon Guerlain doesn't get a lot of love on BN (mostly for its overtly mainstream appeal), but it definitely has its fans and is worth a sniff.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Apres l'Ondee. It's a tad unusual and it might take a couple of tries to acquire the taste for it, but it's a truly beautiful fragrance. Also, if you can get hold of some Eau de Shalimar or Shalimar Legère-thingie, give them a try. Much fresher and easier to wear than full-fat Shalimar but still retain the characteristics of the 'Guerlinade' for which the house is famous.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
    “Art is a lie that tells the truth” - Pablo Picasso
    Currently wearing: L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

in a fragrant coma always

Jardins de Bagatelle
    blah, blah, blah...
    Currently wearing: Patchouli by Molinard

11 to sample to get to know Guerlain, these are classics!

L'Heure Bleue
    Mitsouko
    Jicky
    Apres l'Ondee
    Shalimar
    Samsara
    Vol de Nuit
    Chamade
    Nahema
    Sous le Vent
    Vega

10 that would be what you are looking for.

Idylle
    Insolence
    La Petite Robe Noire
    Aqua Allegoria Rosa Fizz- new this year
    Aqua Allegoria Rosa Pop- from last year
    Mon Guerlain
    Shalimar Parfum Initial
    L'Instant de Guerlain
    L'Instant Magic
    With Love- if you can find it, it's great

Basenotes Plus

I'll chime in and second most of the advice you've got here. I can't tell where you're located, but if you're in the US, *and* IF you have a well-stocked Guerlain counter near you--probably a Saks 5th Avenue, a Neiman Marcus, or a Bergdorf Goodman--then that's definitely the place where you should go. Let the staff guide you, because they're trained specifically to help you find "your" Guerlain, the philosophy being that there is (at least) one for everyone (and I think they're right). Take your time and be patient, because the perfumes will talk to you if you listen (I know that sounds corny, but it's true). Just try to forget any hangups you may have about "old lady" smells (if you have them); also, if you share your generation's horror of powder, try to leave that at the door as well, or at least try to get around it by asking yourself what kind of powder it is, and/or how much powder there compared to the other Guerlains you're smelling. Any SA worth their commission will love the chance to introduce a newcomer. And you can be honest about your reactions--remember, the SA didn't make the perfume, so you're not going to hurt their feelings.

If you're on your own, it helps to have a few of the big names in your scent vocabulary, as it were. Try to get samples of Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleue and Shalimar--these are the Big Three, and the perfumes you'll read and hear the most about. You may not love any of them (they're all growers and not showers, especially these days), but they'll reward you if you revisit them over time. Try them all, then go about your perfume-exploring life, and then come back again. They'll change as your nose changes.

Otherwise, ff you're looking for a Guerlain to buy and wear in the near future, then it depends on what you like. If you like vanilla, gourmands, or the whole Si Armani kind of thing, then march straight to Mon Guerlain--it has the good Guerlain vanilla in it. Or you could do Le Petite Robe Noire with its cherry candy. (This also might be a good crossover if you like Narciso Rodriguez for Her). If you like Chloe EdP, with its very very clean, fresh vibe, then try Idylle. If you like your perfumes to smell like what the label says, then the Aquas Allegorias are easily translatable; the new Rosas (Pop and Fizz) or Teazzura (green tea) are fun, as is the Pamplelune (grapefruit) that already got mentioned several times.

Insolence and Apres l'Ondee are also personal favorites of mine, because I loooove violets. I can't think of any current big mainstream perfumes that features violets, which is a crying shame, but whatevs. Check those out, too. And nobody here mentioned Chant d'Aromes, which is a little like a kinder, gentler Mitsouko.

And have fun! I'm jealous. I wish I could smell all these for the first time all over again.

Blog Entries

l only just saw this thread!

As many have mentioned, the classics may take time to grow on you. But l agree with the recommendations for Samsara & L'lnstant.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

L' Instant Magic would be great for a 20 year old.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thediamondsea View Post

If you're on your own, it helps to have a few of the big names in your scent vocabulary, as it were.

I wish I could smell all these for the first time all over again.
    When I became a BNer, I intentionally avoided Guerlain for some time (maybe a year or so), to build up not only my vocabulary, but my appreciation. Turns out to have been a good move. I didn't have to "fail and try again" to attain a basic understanding of the house and its offerings. Still, I find that "reapproaching" then house with open eyes, intermittently, is a useful tool for increasing appreciation.

Guerlain has so much historical baggage, but that is half the fun, really, and well worth allowing it to influence appreciation of the scents themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Guerlain has so much historical baggage, but that is half the fun, really, and well worth allowing it to influence appreciation of the scents themselves.
    Too true! They're a house whose history is inextricably tied to their scents.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
    “Art is a lie that tells the truth” - Pablo Picasso
    Currently wearing: L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by thediamondsea View Post
    I'll chime in and second most of the advice you've got here. I can't tell where you're located, but if you're in the US, *and* IF you have a well-stocked Guerlain counter near you--probably a Saks 5th Avenue, a Neiman Marcus, or a Bergdorf Goodman--then that's definitely the place where you should go. Let the staff guide you, because they're trained specifically to help you find "your" Guerlain, the philosophy being that there is (at least) one for everyone (and I think they're right). Take your time and be patient, because the perfumes will talk to you if you listen (I know that sounds corny, but it's true). Just try to forget any hangups you may have about "old lady" smells (if you have them); also, if you share your generation's horror of powder, try to leave that at the door as well, or at least try to get around it by asking yourself what kind of powder it is, and/or how much powder there compared to the other Guerlains you're smelling. Any SA worth their commission will love the chance to introduce a newcomer. And you can be honest about your reactions--remember, the SA didn't make the perfume, so you're not going to hurt their feelings.

If you're on your own, it helps to have a few of the big names in your scent vocabulary, as it were. Try to get samples of Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleue and Shalimar--these are the Big Three, and the perfumes you'll read and hear the most about. You may not love any of them (they're all growers and not showers, especially these days), but they'll reward you if you revisit them over time. Try them all, then go about your perfume-exploring life, and then come back again. They'll change as your nose changes.

Otherwise, ff you're looking for a Guerlain to buy and wear in the near future, then it depends on what you like. If you like vanilla, gourmands, or the whole Si Armani kind of thing, then march straight to Mon Guerlain--it has the good Guerlain vanilla in it. Or you could do Le Petite Robe Noire with its cherry candy. (This also might be a good crossover if you like Narciso Rodriguez for Her). If you like Chloe EdP, with its very very clean, fresh vibe, then try Idylle. If you like your perfumes to smell like what the label says, then the Aquas Allegorias are easily translatable; the new Rosas (Pop and Fizz) or Teazzura (green tea) are fun, as is the Pamplelune (grapefruit) that already got mentioned several times.

Insolence and Apres l'Ondee are also personal favorites of mine, because I loooove violets. I can't think of any current big mainstream perfumes that features violets, which is a crying shame, but whatevs. Check those out, too. And nobody here mentioned Chant d'Aromes, which is a little like a kinder, gentler Mitsouko.

And have fun! I'm jealous. I wish I could smell all these for the first time all over again.
    OT: thediamondsea, have you tried CB I Hate Perfumes A Room with a View? It is a cascade of violets, and the kind that grow in dirt, not the candied kind...

On topic:

Yes, visit a counter!

If not possible, then get wee samples of the feminine classics: L'Heure Bleue, Mitsuoko, Apres l'Ondee, and Shalimar. Then get slightly bigger (spray) samples of the modem feminines...for you, I would second recommendations for La Petite Robe Noir (which I own and love) and Mon Guerlain (which was not for me but I enjoyed trying it). Then also get 2 or 3 spray samples of Aqua Allegorias still in production whose notes appeal to you.

Shalimar is pretty easy to sample for free...I've found it at Sephora, ULTA, and most department stores.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk