Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Piercing Icy Green/Aromatic for Spring

Loong long time lurker, first time poster. Finally starting to embrace my addiction to scent and refine my tastes. Relatively new to niche (not considering Creed truly niche... which is not to say I don't love many of their offerings)

I am on the hunt for a piercing "cold/icy" with a predominantly green undertone (bright greens, not super dark/earthy like the darker vetivers and so forth) for spring, and cooler summer days. I want to err on metallic rather ran powdery. Evocative of a rugged landscape shrouded in green, with rocky outcroppings jutting out here and there.

My notes and fragrance-specific vocabulary sucks.. so if you'll indulge me for a moment:

I'm hiking along a craggy mountain ridge (a la New England, Germany, Switzerland, etc) in the peak of spring, with swirling morning starting to fade in the valley. Streams glisten as the sun starts poking through in patches at the higher elevations, though water droplets tinged with moss and fern can still be felt tingling my nostrils upon a deep breath. Far enough into spring that the musty aromas of damp ground leaves has been completely overtaken by ferns, moss, and greenery.

SMW: Comes first to my mind. I like this, though I think the blackcurrant is a bit strong in some batches. SMW is a touch too airy/light, but the closest I have come thus far. Performs far better on me than Himalaya does. This has the piercing effect I find Himalaya lacks, though lacks the greener base of Himalaya.

Himalaya Again close, but the dry down for me is a bit too dry. It fades into something a little too safe and generic IMO, and on my skin, this one is gone fast. (That said I have a bottle and love it)

GIT Love the natural(ish) green opening, and this scent in general(also own a bottle), but the powder comes in too quickly on my skin. Lacks the piercing effect I am seeking.

Montblanc Legend So sue me... bought this early in my career, and love the metallic "ozonic" feel. That said, there is obv no green in here. The metallic I like is in the same vein as this, Fierce, and egoiste platinum. Has the piercing atmospheric qualities I seek.

So far, I have had decent results with 2 sprays of Himalaya, layered beneath 1 spray of MB Legend. Some might call this heresy, and I accept that... but to me, it adds the piercing metallic from MB to complement the greens and much more refined notes of HM.

I am generally looking into more into niche offerings, but care not at all about niche vs. designer. I care about 1) scent and 2) performance in that order.

Thank you for any recommendations!

Default Re: Piercing Icy Green/Aromatic for Spring

Green Valley by Creed is a nice one. Welcome aboard!

Welcome!

In mainstream, Chanel Cristalle (and even more so Cristalle eau verte) is piercingly green.
    In niche, among the vetivers, Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire is superzingy and fresh, with no darkness.
    In vintage, my own favorite Paco Rabanne Metal is supergreen, fresh and slightly metallic, though it has also some fresh florals you may or may not like.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Green Valley by Creed is a nice one. Welcome aboard!

Thank you for the suggestion.. definitely caught my eye. Sad that it's discontinued, as a) it was expensive to begin with, b) supply has vanished and c) demand has not vanished.

In all fairness, I did not specify any sort of price. Should I ever happen upon a decent price for a split or smaller size, I will certainly give this a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Welcome!

In mainstream, Chanel Cristalle (and even more so Cristalle eau verte) is piercingly green.
    In niche, among the vetivers, Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire is superzingy and fresh, with no darkness.
    In vintage, my own favorite Paco Rabanne Metal is supergreen, fresh and slightly metallic, though it has also some fresh florals you may or may not like.

cacio
    Thank you for the recommendations! Never ceases to astound me how many options there are with fragrance. I have yet to come across any of those other than the PR.

Florals are fine, as long as they don't overtake on the drydown.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Perhaps Nu Green by Honore Des Pres
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Vintage (90's frosted glass bottle) Jacques Fath Green Water. Absolutely wonderful scent and the best use of mint as a complementary note that I've ever encountered.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Classic Vanilla by Pinaud

Also adding Cerruti Image Harmony, 1881 Edition Blanche by the same house, Givenchy Greenenergy and perhaps even Hermes Eau de Gentiane Blanche

+1 for Chanel Cristalle and Paco Rabanne Mētāl.
    Also, Ninféo Mio by Annick Goutal. Citrus, galbanum and tomato leaves.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
    “Art is a lie that tells the truth” - Pablo Picasso
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

The Different Company - De Bachmakov.
    4160 Tuesdays - Doe In The Snow.
    Currently wearing: KL Homme by Lagerfeld

Fendi Theorema Uomo may be worth sampling.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

Quote Originally Posted by sail_fast View Post
    I am on the hunt for a piercing "cold/icy" with a predominantly green undertone (bright greens, not super dark/earthy like the darker vetivers and so forth) for spring, and cooler summer days. I want to err on metallic rather ran powdery. Evocative of a rugged landscape shrouded in green, with rocky outcroppings jutting out here and there.

[...]

Thank you for any recommendations!
    I suggest you hunt down a bottle of Dior's Eau Sauvage Extreme (my SOTD today). It might just be what you are looking for. They have testers in most large department stores, although stock is limited. I see this one as quite niche.

The other one you might want to try is Creed's Original Vetiver. Very fresh and green. Not dark at all.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

don't deceive with belief

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Tindrer - Baruti

The way I'm interpreting your description, this fits like a glove. Lasts forever too.

You like Montblanc Legend... have you tried Emblem? It's cited as icy ozonic with an excellent sage note.

I like both but prefer Legend Intense over regular Legend.
    Currently wearing: Dunhill Icon by Dunhill

Holy moly... blown away by the number of responses -- thank you! I'm going to be a busy guy.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Perhaps Nu Green by Honore Des Pres
    Notes look intriguing, and judging by how many of your posts I have read, I imagine you know your way around fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    Vintage (90's frosted glass bottle) Jacques Fath Green Water. Absolutely wonderful scent and the best use of mint as a complementary note that I've ever encountered.
    Thank you! Not sure how I feel about mint, as I had the pleasure of fighting it for years in my mother's garden.... perhaps I will come around.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Also adding Cerruti Image Harmony, 1881 Edition Blanche by the same house, Givenchy Greenenergy and perhaps even Hermes Eau de Gentiane Blanche
    Thanks! Greenenergy notes piqued my interest of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Hesta Jones View Post
    +1 for Chanel Cristalle and Paco Rabanne Mētāl.
    Also, Ninféo Mio by Annick Goutal. Citrus, galbanum and tomato leaves.

Not sure if this means anything, but some of those are marketed for women. I care not at all about specification, but does that bear any significance? I mean. Presumably these won't be the sappy sugary/powdery messes I smell on (sadly) many women. I'm certainly not against being adventurous.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    4160 Tuesdays - Doe In The Snow.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by adam090273 View Post
    Fendi Theorema Uomo may be worth sampling.
    Saw this pop up in a couple other threads. Would not have occurred to me. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Eau Radieuse by Humiecki & Graef
    Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I suggest you hunt down a bottle of Dior's Eau Sauvage Extreme (my SOTD today). It might just be what you are looking for. They have testers in most large department stores, although stock is limited. I see this one as quite niche.

The other one you might want to try is Creed's Original Vetiver. Very fresh and green. Not dark at all.
    Interesting. I have only smelled the newest Sauvage, which is the only sample besides CK midnight in Paris that I had to scrub off. Lord knows how it garners so many compliments... headache inducing chemicals to me.

That said, I have never smelled any of the Eau Sauvages.

I actually sampled Original Vetiver... starts out a little too dark vetivery for me, but lightens up considerably and quickly. The dry down is very nice. I don't hate it, but it's not quite what I have in mind... particularly for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Interesting. Never tried, but note pyramid looks pretty appealing. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Tindrer - Baruti

The way I'm interpreting your description, this fits like a glove. Lasts forever too.
    It's weird how excited I got when I read about this one, and frankly saw where you are from. I wish it wasn't quite so hard to get. I didn't look super hard, but I cannot find a sample anywhere, and I only see one retail spot.

I would LOVE to have some longevity. I feel like I spend my life chasing longevity (stopped trying for projection in greens a while back).

Quote Originally Posted by jabar View Post
    You like Montblanc Legend... have you tried Emblem? It's cited as icy ozonic with an excellent sage note.

I like both but prefer Legend Intense over regular Legend.
    I have not, but I generally don't love sage. That said, that's just what I know from actual sage in a cooking context. I have tried legend intense -- I like it, but I bought it mostly because I wanted that airy-er metallic feel rather than a fruiter feel (I wear aventus frequently)

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sail_fast View Post
    Not sure if this means anything, but some of those are marketed for women. I care not at all about specification, but does that bear any significance? I mean. Presumably these won't be the sappy sugary/powdery messes I smell on (sadly) many women. I'm certainly not against being adventurous.
    From the ones I personally suggested, the one I'd recommend most strongly would be Ninféo Mio and it's definitely very unisex. Cristalle is perhaps on the feminine aside of the divide, but easily worn by a guy, IMO. Mētāl was recommended to me by cacio (if I remember correctly), although I would say it leans feminine.
    +1 for Eau Sauvage - in contrast, it leans masculine but is definitely wearable by women, especially the cologne. It's gorgeous.

Last edited by Miss Hesta Jones; 18th May 2017 at 10:23 PM.
    “Art is a lie that tells the truth” - Pablo Picasso
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Go Lauder for Men or Private Collection by Estee Lauder
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Basenotes Plus

How about Le Sillage Blanc by Dusita?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    How about Le Sillage Blanc by Dusita?
    Yes,
    It has just been released.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Smellcheck

I don't have any improvements on the suggestions offered (except to ditto the Rabanne Metal, I love it on men), but I wanted to compliment you on your restraint. I thought I had set a record, lurking for four years before I ever posted a word, but you have me beat.

Welcome aboard, sailor!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Flaubert liked tinsel better than silver because tinsel possessed all silver's attributes plus one in addition -- pathos.
    --Clive James, The Essential Essays, 1968-2002

Swiss Army Unlimited. Very under-rated and gets nearly no attention but it's excellent, and it seems like what you want, so long as some sweetness is okay.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Also an excellent option.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca
    Currently wearing: Irish Leather by Memo

Hermes - Eau de Gentiane Blanche
    Loewe - Esencia pour Homme
    Fragrances of Ireland - Patrick
    Dior - Jules

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Tindrer - Baruti

OP if you're looking for Baruti samples, both IndieScents and IndigoPerfumery carry them - the former CA based, the later US based. Shipping from Indie is higher, but I like their spray samples.