Code of Conduct

Default Major FOMO When It Comes to Fragrances

Ever since I've started this fragrance journey I haven't experienced this until I've looked into the out-spoken Aventus and scarce supply of Bleecker Street.

Vintage batches for aventus and searching for the right batches has kept me up at night. I've almost pulled the trigger on outrageously overpriced bleecker street because I thought it was impossible to get my hands on. This has lead to 1/4 of my collection being a bunch of different aventus batches. Searching for fragrances pre-formulation is also another one.

Normal people don't understand this when I try and explain, and its hard for me to justify why I'm doing this. Anybody else experiencing this? Its a hobby and an addiction at the same time
    Last edited by reckless03; 18th May 2017 at 09:57 AM.

Default Re: Major FOMO When It Comes to Fragrances

FOMO is more common than you realize. Why do you think many BNers have such huge wardrobes?

Rarity can indeed trigger demand. Understand the nature of your obsession: do you feel a need to have it in your possession? Personally I used to feel a need to sample a fragrance everyone here talks about. I'd buy them all only to end up not having the time to sample them thoroughly. I still get the itch sometimes but the FOMO aspect is gone.

So try asking yourself this one question:
    What is the absolutely worst thing that can happen to you if you don't find that rare vintage?

I have a friend(not a close friend), who has just started working as a counter manager for Creed. I asked if anyone had asked about batch codes yet? No, what do you mean she asked. I explained the batch code stress syndrome, she looked worried.
    DONNA

Luckily, Basenotes and its advice, inputs, recommendations but also external links etc. can somewhat counteract this- perhaps less so regarding the Aventus batches but more so when it comes to finding not necessarily the most affordable/inexpensive, but at the very least the best value for money purchasing and even sampling alternatives regarding other vintage/rarer/limited edition/exclusive release etc. fragrances

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I asked if anyone had asked about batch codes yet? No, what do you mean she asked.
    The response doesn't surprise me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Luckily, Basenotes and its advice, inputs, recommendations but also external links etc. can somewhat counteract this- perhaps less so regarding the Aventus batches but more so when it comes to finding not necessarily the most affordable/inexpensive, but at the very least the best value for money purchasing and even sampling alternatives regarding other vintage/rarer/limited edition/exclusive release etc. fragrances
    Yes - the cacophony of responses on BN helps to encourage skepticism, and skepticism is a wonderful inhibitor of FOMO.
    https://cologniac.com - raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Polo Red by Ralph Lauren

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Sampling can put fear of missing out (FOMO) to rest, I've found.

You can also think of the marketing point of view, imagine trying your own hand at generating a fear of missing out for perfume. You might start by making it especially expensive.

Good point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post

You can also think of the marketing point of view, imagine trying your own hand at generating a fear of missing out for perfume. You might start by making it especially expensive.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Good point.
    FOMOventus!

Agreed about sampling. I'm almost certain that samples lost value to retailers and makers when shoppers started using them more to prevent purchases than to decide them, and the industry caught on.

FOMO is both a blessing and a curse in science and tech. FOMO is a great tool to get people looking at new ideas. But coupled with inhibition of dismissal, quieting of opposition, hiding of reversion, or even suppression of paradoxical "disproof through greater attention" (a kind of logical Streisand effect), FOMO becomes a profound manipulator.

You can just tell them it's a lot better than searching for that one penny that is worth millions when it just looks like every other penny. LOL.

Smellcheck

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    and skepticism is a wonderful inhibitor of FOMO.
    So is age.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Flaubert liked tinsel better than silver because tinsel possessed all silver's attributes plus one in addition -- pathos.
    --Clive James, The Essential Essays, 1968-2002

I ward off any such danger by abandoning perfumes being discontinued or hard to get before they can abandon me. Then I make it a point to seek out something else, something I sense may be on the market and fairly stable for some time. But I fear that's just one type of disorder replacing another: FOA (fear of abandonment)! LOL
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    So is age.
    I call it 'experience'.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    So is age.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I call it 'experience'.
    True enough!

Quote Originally Posted by FiveoaksBouquet View Post
    I ward off any such danger by abandoning perfumes being discontinued or hard to get before they can abandon me. Then I make it a point to seek out something else, something I sense may be on the market and fairly stable for some time. But I fear that's just one type of disorder replacing another: FOA (fear of abandonment)! LOL
    It's a limiting factor. You just have to have enough limits to keep the numbers reasonable.

I think my approach is similar, in that I abandon once the first-retail-sale bottles dry up. I basically tell myself that eBay is off limits except under the most extreme circumstances, so I need to buy before they're only on eBay, AND it has to be something that was on my "buy" list. That limits the numbers severely, in that my buy list is small, as well as the further requirement that it be a good deal. Most DCs are abandoned by price and desire, then finally by first-sale availability.

Blog Entries

Patience is also key. The more you wait, the fewer you buy.

I will often wait years to buy a scent, preferring to wait for disco closeouts and other kinds of good deals. I just got Safran Troublant in a bottle style disco - 9 years after it went on my "buy" list. I passed up numerous chances to make the buy at full price over the years, waiting for a discounter to offer a really good price. Great bottle, too, because the scent seems to get smoother with age, and this is just like my original sample.