Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Need Help ! Received $150 to Luckyscent as a gift..What modern scent would you buy for this Sum

Remember guys, the OP can only shop at Lucky Scent and he has $150. Bear that in mind.
    Last edited by tspencer; 19th May 2017 at 04:45 AM.

Default Re: Need Help ! Received $150 to Luckyscent as a gift..What modern scent would you buy for this Sum

If I had that $150 I'd buy Nobile 1942 Estroverso without hesitation, and have a little left over to spend on another scent

Or, as others have mentioned, Lubin Itasca

Can't go wrong either way
    Last edited by cpp214; 19th May 2017 at 06:38 AM.
    Currently wearing: Équipage by Hermès

Also adding Endymion and Opus 1870 by Penhaligons- modern niche, good for compliments, also any EDP by Hugh Parsons that is available, especially Hugh Parsons Blue and perhaps also French Lover and Geranium pour Monsieur by Frederic Malle
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Domenico Caraceni 1913

$135 for 100 ml

Oh yeah, Endymion! That would be another great choice!

Basenotes Institution FSU92grad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    If I had that $150 I'd buy Nobile 1942 Estroverso without hesitation, and have a little left over to spend on another scent

Or, as others have mentioned, Lubin Itasca

Can't go wrong either way
    Yea guys ! I actually had Lubin Itasca and sold it to a lady on ebay....Just wasn't wearing it enough and to be honest (my opinion only) it was kind of cloying and very PERFUMEY in the heat here in Florida....I wore it sometimes on the cool days in Florida which isn't very often...You have to keep in mind Florida is a very muggy, humid hot place to live and sometimes the more heavier scents like Killian's, Sauvage and others that are REALLY potent to me just don't do too well in the heat....You instantly become "Mr. Cologne guy"....I realize you can back off the sprays but even then they can almost become annoying.....So, I guess I need something that is more natural smelling, not synthetic with good lasting power but NOT too potent...
    TOP TEN FOR SUMMER:
    1.) MFK Baccarat Rouge 540
    2.) MFK Aqua Celestin
    3.) MFK Pluriel Masculine
    4.) MFK Petit Matin
    5.) ADG Profumo
    6.) Mojave Ghost
    7.) Gypsy Water
    8.) Eight & Bob Nuit de Megeve
    9.) Dusita Issara
    10.) Ferrari Bright Neroli
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

I find it harder to find a good spring/summer scent with longevity and sillage versus fall/winter, which is much easier. That's the challenge I've been at lately, trying numerous samples. Most citrus or "fresh" scents have modest lasting power on me.

My favorite from Lucky Scent right now that does have decent longevity is Cedrat Boise by Mancera. I'm a fan of Fat Electrician "a thoroughly modern vetiver" as well. It feels spring-like to me. Decent longevity but not as strong as Cedrat Boise. I love Salvia Scleria for spring and summer, but longevity is weak.

I'd be interested to see what you end up selecting.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni

daviddavid.net

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Hey,

There are so many options laid out in this thread. I hope you are getting samples man. You're going to need about a month to test samples before you spend that $150. I'm wearing Tam Dao EDP today. Such a clean and amazing sandalwood. It's just heavenly and the moments where I get an occasional waft of the scent makes me immediately want to take another whiff off my arm. My 3 recommendations of Tam Dao EDP, Xerxoff Nio and Le Labo 'The Noir 29' are 'must tries'. I don't own 'The Noir 29' or Nio yet because I am way over budget on my fragrances and need time to pay off some of the costs. I still have Killian's Straight to Heaven Extreme, Xerxoff's Nio and Le Labo's 'The Noir 29' to buy and it just seems impossible to spend that much for a while longer.

Anyway, if you're buying samples, you're going to have a tough decision. Lot's of top shelf options for $150.

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    Hey,

There are so many options laid out in this thread. I hope you are getting samples man.
    Yeah...good call, I just spent $75 on samples from Lucky Scent. Once you account for samples, the $150 doesn't go very far. Blind buy is always risky, everyone is so different. In my pursuit of a new spring/summer scent, I ordered all these:

Discovery Set Sampler Set - (7 samples)- J.F. Schwarzlose
    Myths Man - Eau de Parfum - Amouage
    Burning Barbershop - Eau de Parfum - D.S. & Durga
    Le Sillage Blanc - Eau de Parfum - Dusita
    Cologne a la Russe - Eau de Cologne - Institut Tres Bien
    Incident Diplomatique - Eau de Parfum - Jovoy Paris
    Cuir Cordoba - Eau de Parfum - Keiko Mecheri
    Close Up - Eau de Parfum - Olfactive Studio
    L'Eau - Eau de Parfum - Tauer Perfumes

Lucky Scent also has a May set of 5 and a Men's set of a dozen samples you could try.

daviddavid.net

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards

Parle Moi de Parfum Woody Perfecto is a good vetiver scent while Cedar Woodpecker seems more aligned with a version of Dior Homme Sport with a little less emphasis on bright airy citrus.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Parle Moi de Parfum Woody Perfecto is a good vetiver scent while Cedar Woodpecker seems more aligned with a version of Dior Homme Sport with a little less emphasis on bright airy citrus.
    I tried the Cedar Woodpecker. Sillage was not good for me. Didn't try Woody Perfecto, but all the other Parle de Parfum scents were pretty weak on my skin.

daviddavid.net

Rania J - Lavande 44

Different Company - Sel de Vetiver

IMO, it's tough to gauge any fragrance's sillage from a vial sample. I didn't have a problem with the sillage or weakness in the fragrance but I was spraying from an atomizer from Cedar Woodpecker, Woody Perfecto or Milky Musk which are the only fragrances in the line I've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    I tried the Cedar Woodpecker. Sillage was not good for me. Didn't try Woody Perfecto, but all the other Parle de Parfum scents were pretty weak on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Domenico Caraceni 1913

$135 for 100 ml
    This one is great.

Hey,

There are so many options laid out in this thread. I hope you are getting samples man. You're going to need about a month to test samples before you spend that $150. I'm wearing Tam Dao EDP today. Such a clean and amazing sandalwood. It's just heavenly and the moments where I get an occasional waft of the scent makes me immediately want to take another whiff off my arm. My 3 recommendations of Tam Dao EDP, Xerxoff Nio and Le Labo 'The Noir 29' are 'must tries'. I don't own 'The Noir 29' or Nio yet because I am way over budget on my fragrances and need time to pay off some of the costs. I still have Killian's Straight to Heaven Extreme, Xerxoff's Nio and Le Labo's 'The Noir 29' to buy and it just seems impossible to spend that much for a while longer.

Anyway, if you're buying samples, you're going to have a tough decision. Lot's of top shelf options for $150.
    Dude, I know ! It's going to be tough but got a lot of suggestions....I ordered about 8 samples....So many good ones to choose from...I have Xernoff's Nio already and as I've mentioned years ago that stuff is perhaps the best citrus scent on the market...Longevity and sillage is amazing...Very well made and exceptional quality....I did order a sample of both Noir 29 and Tam dao....Although, we have a store in Tampa that I can go buy and smell Tam Dao....I had Philosykos but sold it....Just never wore the stuff....I got the Parfum not the Toilette version...Too "grassy" or "herbal" though...Something just didn't work right with my chemistry...BUT I loved the fig note in it....
    TOP TEN FOR SUMMER:
    2.) MFK Aqua Celestin
    4.) MFK Petit Matin
    5.) ADG Profumo
    6.) Mojave Ghost
    7.) Gypsy Water
    9.) Dusita Issara

Hey,

Man Tam Dao seems to be a frag i need to try out. Sandalwood is about my favorite note. I see it comes in two different concentrations. Is the EDP very different from the EDT (apart from lasting longer)?

Too late now, but I would have suggested Pulp at $150 for 50ml. A great spring/summer scent at your price, and one Luckyscent recommends as well. Regardless of your stated preferences, just smell it!

1. Epic Man by Amouage (33 wears)
    2. Leather Oud by Christian Dior (31 wears)
    3. M7 by Yves Saint Laurent (27 wears)
    4. Oud Imperial (black) by Perris Monte Carlo (22 wears)
    5. Russian Tea Ritual by Masque (20 wears)
    6. Fate Man by Amouage (19 wears)

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Currently wearing: M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Avignon
    “You must have a perfume. A perfume is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?” Oscar Wilde

Two years ago, I received the exact same thing from my uncle.

With my gift, I bought the Sophie Matisse Art Edition of By Kilian's Bamboo Harmony, which quickly became a summer staple for me. It's a hard to describe scent - not a citrus, not a tea, not an aquatic, not a musk - but a fragrance that combines the best aspects from all four genres. And if you buy the travel spray or refill, you won't have to go over your budget by much.
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

Niche & Hard-To-Find Sale (US Only): Frederic Malle, vintage Infusion de Vetiver, By Kilian

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    Two years ago, I received the exact same thing from my uncle.

With my gift, I bought the Sophie Matisse Art Edition of By Kilian's Bamboo Harmony, which quickly became a summer staple for me. It's a hard to describe scent - not a citrus, not a tea, not an aquatic, not a musk - but a fragrance that combines the best aspects from all four genres. And if you buy the travel spray or refill, you won't have to go over your budget by much.
    Thanks MFfan....Will look into for sure !
    TOP TEN FOR SUMMER:
    2.) MFK Aqua Celestin
    4.) MFK Petit Matin
    5.) ADG Profumo
    6.) Mojave Ghost
    7.) Gypsy Water
    9.) Dusita Issara

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Too late now, but I would have suggested Pulp at $150 for 50ml. A great spring/summer scent at your price, and one Luckyscent recommends as well. Regardless of your stated preferences, just smell it!

Is it different enough from Mojave Ghost and Gypsy Water do you think?
    TOP TEN FOR SUMMER:
    2.) MFK Aqua Celestin
    4.) MFK Petit Matin
    5.) ADG Profumo
    6.) Mojave Ghost
    7.) Gypsy Water
    9.) Dusita Issara

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Hey Rynegne....Good to hear from you again.....Yes, Cedar Woodpecker I hear is pretty awesome.....I definitely sample...

How is your fragrance business going? Are you still doing that or no?
    TOP TEN FOR SUMMER:
    2.) MFK Aqua Celestin
    4.) MFK Petit Matin
    5.) ADG Profumo
    6.) Mojave Ghost
    7.) Gypsy Water
    9.) Dusita Issara

Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    Oh yes. Pulp is ripe fruit over a soft floral and woody base. Excellent spring and summer daytime scent.
    1. Epic Man by Amouage (33 wears)
    2. Leather Oud by Christian Dior (31 wears)
    3. M7 by Yves Saint Laurent (27 wears)
    4. Oud Imperial (black) by Perris Monte Carlo (22 wears)
    5. Russian Tea Ritual by Masque (20 wears)
    6. Fate Man by Amouage (19 wears)

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Currently wearing: M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

don't deceive with belief

I have most of the MFK's so that is out...I have Byredo Bal D' Afrique, Mojave Ghost, Gypsy Water.....

Remember for me, longevity and projection are super important.....Prefer a relatively safe daily scent great for the Florida heat ? Something unique if possible but smells terrific to the opposite sex...

Thoughts ?
    Odin 07 Tanoke
    Currently wearing: Cuba by Czech & Speake

Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    Man Tam Dao seems to be a frag i need to try out. Sandalwood is about my favorite note. I see it comes in two different concentrations. Is the EDP very different from the EDT (apart from lasting longer)?
    I have not tried the EDT. It was overwhelmingly recommended by the sandalwood experts that if I got Tam Dao to get the EDP. I have no reason to doubt them. One person on her in particular, Mythrol has tested and evaluated an enormous number of sandalwood fragrances and even sent me samples of several of his top picks. The guy knows his sandalwood. As you can see here:
    http://www.basenotes.net/entries/125...agrance-Finale

or, you can skip all the reading and 'listen' to Mythrol breakdown the sandalwood fragrances with his opinions:
    https://soundcloud.com/mythrol/the-q...agrance-finale

Enjoy the research.
    Last edited by tspencer; 21st May 2017 at 02:07 AM.

Basenotes Plus

It definitely is. It's sweeter, smoother, and fruitier than both. Great staying power. Love it.
    Currently wearing: Pulp by Byredo

Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post
    It definitely is. It's sweeter, smoother, and fruitier than both. Great staying power. Love it.
    I will definitely sample...Another one that I have samples that has captured my attention is the new one from Eight and Bob....It's called Nuit de Megeve...

It's definitely worth sniffing...
    TOP TEN FOR SUMMER:
    2.) MFK Aqua Celestin
    4.) MFK Petit Matin
    5.) ADG Profumo
    6.) Mojave Ghost
    7.) Gypsy Water
    9.) Dusita Issara

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Another one that I have samples that has captured my attention is the new one from Eight and Bob....It's called Nuit de Megeve...
    Smelled this at Bloomingdales about a month ago. Very nice.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Smelled this at Bloomingdales about a month ago. Very nice.

Yes...This one could be a full bottle worthy purchase....I think Lucky Scent has it....Not a fan of Eight and Bob but this one really made me do a double take...
    TOP TEN FOR SUMMER:
    2.) MFK Aqua Celestin
    4.) MFK Petit Matin
    5.) ADG Profumo
    6.) Mojave Ghost
    7.) Gypsy Water
    9.) Dusita Issara