Code of Conduct

Default Reed Diffuser Base issue

I have searched and tried many recipes for reed diffuser bases around here.

First : Ethyl 99.9% + Water = Fail

Second : DPG + Ethyl 99.9% = Likely to work until alcohol evaporated then it stopped working

Third : Custom base from local shop = It works but evaporated rate was really fast. 3-4 days for 50 ml with a mix of 30% essential oils / fragrance and 70% base. It placed in a room with normal temperature (25 c) so this will never be accepted by most customers. A product page said I can put DPG in a mix to reduce evaporate rate. I did and it didn't work. It was like DPG left in a bottle an nothing wicked up the reed so there was no smell at all. I don't know what this base is made of but only "Hydrocarbons" in a product page.

Fourth : I am trying to find Dowanol DPM and Dowanol TPM based on some suggestions here. I could find DPM but not TPM. However it sold in a big lot (190 kg for each barrel). I can afford it but It too much for me to use as of now.

Some suggested about DPG fragrance grade but I couldn't find them here.

Here is the question. Is there any recommend solution for this? I just need a base that works with acceptable evaporate rate. Thank you.

Default Re: Reed Diffuser Base issue

As you have discovered DPG is no good in Reed Diffusers. The only solvents that I have used, with success, are Dowanol DPM, Dowanol TPM, and a series of hydrocarbons called Iso Par ( several different Iso Pars). They all evaporate at different rates, so by testing your fragrance with a variety of mixtures you can regulate the evaporation of your product. It is usual for your Reed Diffuser to last for between 4 and 6 weeks.

If you can buy Dowanol DPM I don't understand why you cannot buy TPM, as they are made by the same people. The minimum amount you can buy is a problem that I cannot answer, I'm afraid. When I was using these I was not responsible for buying them, sorry.

Others have asked the same question and a different solvent was mentioned, but I do not remember what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    As you have discovered DPG is no good in Reed Diffusers. The only solvents that I have used, with success, are Dowanol DPM, Dowanol TPM, and a series of hydrocarbons called Iso Par ( several different Iso Pars). They all evaporate at different rates, so by testing your fragrance with a variety of mixtures you can regulate the evaporation of your product. It is usual for your Reed Diffuser to last for between 4 and 6 weeks.

If you can buy Dowanol DPM I don't understand why you cannot buy TPM, as they are made by the same people. The minimum amount you can buy is a problem that I cannot answer, I'm afraid. When I was using these I was not responsible for buying them, sorry.

Others have asked the same question and a different solvent was mentioned, but I do not remember what it was.
    Thank you very much. I cannot find TPM because no one in my country imported them, only DPM imported. Can I use only DPM for a reed in this case? If not then could you please suggest me any alternate solution for this?

DPM evaporated more quickly than TPM, so TPM is used to slow the product. You could try creating a fragrance that evaporates slowly on its own or try one of the Iso Pars. Other than that, I'm afraid I cannot help you. Anyone else remember what the "other solvent" was? I think Chris Bartlett mentioned it.

I just found the chemical I was thinking of; it is called Methoxymethyl Butanol.
    Last edited by David Ruskin; 19th May 2017 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    DPM evaporated more quickly than TPM, so TPM is used to slow the product. You could try creating a fragrance that evaporates slowly on its own or try one of the Iso Pars. Other than that, I'm afraid I cannot help you. Anyone else remember what the "other solvent" was? I think Chris Bartlett mentioned it.

I just found the chemical I was thinking of; it is called Methoxymethyl Butanol.
    Thank you very much. I hope this forum could have a "like" button so I can give a thank without re-quoted.