Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor
    Basenotes Member

Default What am I missing from my small collection?

So I made my second blind buy purchase this week and got Herod I know as someone new to fragrances it probably wasn't a good idea in hindsight. However, just like my previous blind buy I am absolutely in love with this fragrance. I know it isn't really the correct season for something like Herod but I just can't get enough of it now that I've actually gotten to smell it. I guess my question is based on the scents I already have and already plan on buying is there anything else I should be looking at?

So far I have Herod, Reflection man, Armani code profumo, Invictus aqua, and CK one. I plan to buy Boss bottled intense edp, Sauvage, The one edp, Bleu edp, maybea bottle of La nuit de l'homme if I can find a vintage bottle at a good price because I do like the scent, finallu I also plan on trying Aventus, Green irish tweed, and Pegasus before I actually put them on my list. Thanks in advance everyone, take care and God bless!

Default Re: What am I missing from my small collection?

Maybe also adding a good masculine rose scent like Habit Rouge EDT/EDP, Santos de Cartier, Ungaro II/III/III Parfum Aromatique, Davidoff Zino, Esencia Loewe and also a vetiver, like Creed OV, Yves Rocher Cuir Vetiver, Lanvin Vetyver, Chopard Noble Vetiver, TDH Parfum, Yardley Citrus & Wood, Etro Vetiver

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Maybe also adding a good masculine rose scent like Habit Rouge EDT/EDP, Santos de Cartier, Ungaro II/III/III Parfum Aromatique, Davidoff Zino, Esencia Loewe and also a vetiver, like Creed OV, Yves Rocher Cuir Vetiver, Lanvin Vetyver, Chopard Noble Vetiver, TDH Parfum, Yardley Citrus & Wood, Etro Vetiver
    That is quite a lot to look at, thank you for the response I'll see which ones I can test at a department store and then go from there. Again thank you!

No problem, the likeliest guesses (based on certain previous personal testings and an average estimation of what most department stores/malls/boutiques/single brand stores/outlets/perfumeries etc. usually retail) Habit Rouge EDT and occasionally the EDP concentration as well, Ungaro III and Ungaro III Parfum Aromatique, Creed OV, Yves Rocher Cuir Vetiver, TDH Parfum are perhaps among the likeliest to be found during an average sampling session in most well-supplied fragrance stores

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    No problem, the likeliest guesses (based on certain previous personal testings and an average estimation of what most department stores/malls/boutiques/single brand stores/outlets/perfumeries etc. usually retail) Habit Rouge EDT and occasionally the EDP concentration as well, Ungaro III and Ungaro III Parfum Aromatique, Creed OV, Yves Rocher Cuir Vetiver, TDH Parfum are perhaps among the likeliest to be found during an average sampling session in most well-supplied fragrance stores
    Sounds good I'll be on the lookout next time I go to the mall/Macy's or Nordstrom or when I visit family in Massachusetts I'll try to stop by some department stores there to.

Dependent

Pick up some creed decants, you can get a "sample" pack from the split board.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by guitarphil View Post
    Pick up some creed decants, you can get a "sample" pack from the split board.
    That's something I'll definitely have to do since I am interested in trying Aventus and Green irish tweed. I probably won't buy from the forums though. I'm a bit iffy with sharing my home address with people from the internet.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Anxiety View Post
    I know it isn't really the correct season for something like Herod but I just can't get enough of it now that I've actually gotten to smell it.
    Any season is appropriate IMO. Congrats on the purchase.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Any season is appropriate IMO. Congrats on the purchase.
    Thanks! I almost didn't jump on it I'm quite poor right now but I kept seeing a lot of reviews on it and I just had to have it. I didn't want to do another blind buy since I'm so new at this but I couldn't find any stores that stocked it after buying it I realized there is a Parfums de Marly boutique in Boston, which isn't to far away and I nearly died I kept thinking what if i hate it then I wasted money etc..I was gonna drive up this weekend to go test it but it arrived early here today and I fell in love with it so it was a great buy!

A leather maybe? CH Men is a nice one.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    A leather maybe? CH Men is a nice one.
    I was actually thinking of getting ch man or prive because of jeremy's videos on them but haven't been able to find a place to try them. I've also heard a lot of praise for tuscan leather which I also haven't been able to find anywhere. Maybe I'll buy some samples of them in the future to give them a try. Cheers!

Basenotes Plus

Perhaps sample Dior Homme, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Homme Parfum.

Welcome to BN Anxiety and hope you have fun here.

Hello and welcome!

I'd recommend the following:
    Fougere: Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Vetiver: Givenchy Vetiver
    Citrus: Allure Homme Edition Blanche
    Leathery/Woody/Incense: Comme de Garcons 2 Man
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Gris Clair by Serge Lutens

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Perhaps sample Dior Homme, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Homme Parfum.

Welcome to BN Anxiety and hope you have fun here.
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I'll take a look at these. I know I've tried one of them at least I think i did my girlfriend said it smelled like makeup and said i couldn't buy it lol. However I'll give that whole line another chance since I don't even know which one it was she didn't like. Take care and God bless!

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    Hello and welcome!

I'd recommend the following:
    Fougere: Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Vetiver: Givenchy Vetiver
    Citrus: Allure Homme Edition Blanche
    Leathery/Woody/Incense: Comme de Garcons 2 Man
    Thank you so much for the suggestions, I'll be sure to check them out when I get the chance! Also thank you for describing the kind of scents that helps me especially with the second one because I do like citrusy smelling fragrances. Cheers!

So I made my second blind buy purchase this week and got Herod I know as someone new to fragrances it probably wasn't a good idea in hindsight. However, just like my previous blind buy I am absolutely in love with this fragrance. I know it isn't really the correct season for something like Herod but I just can't get enough of it now that I've actually gotten to smell it. I guess my question is based on the scents I already have and already plan on buying is there anything else I should be looking at?

So far I have Herod, Reflection man, Armani code profumo, Invictus aqua, and CK one. I plan to buy Boss bottled intense edp, Sauvage, The one edp, Bleu edp, maybea bottle of La nuit de l'homme if I can find a vintage bottle at a good price because I do like the scent, finallu I also plan on trying Aventus, Green irish tweed, and Pegasus before I actually put them on my list. Thanks in advance everyone, take care and God bless!
    As far as ones you can readily try at the department store... Versace Eros, Polo Red, Spicebomb, 1 Million, Terre D'hermes

Thank you so much for the suggestions, I'll be sure to check them out when I get the chance! Also thank you for describing the kind of scents that helps me especially with the second one because I do like citrusy smelling fragrances. Cheers!
    You're very welcome! The Givenchy and Chanel should be available for a sniff at most fragrance counters... The other two are going to be more challenging to sample. 2man samples should be available at Luckyscent or surrender to chance if you're looking for a test drive
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Gris Clair by Serge Lutens

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    You're very welcome! The Givenchy and Chanel should be available for a sniff at most fragrance counters... The other two are going to be more challenging to sample. 2man samples should be available at Luckyscent or surrender to chance if you're looking for a test drive
    Yeah I saw the allure stuff when I was at Myer in Melbourne Australia over the summer girlfriend doesn't particularly like Bleu which is what I went to the chanel isle to try on so after I got to smell Bleu which I love she made me try on Armani code profumo and that's what we ended up getting I bought her ysl black opium she had to have the special edition bottle lol. I'll be sure to actually give it a try probably when she isn't around so she doesn't think I'm trying to buy Bleu haha!

don't deceive with belief

I would suggest Bel Ami Vetiver.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I would suggest Bel Ami Vetiver.
    I'll give it a sniff when I get the chance, hopefully I can find it in a department store, thanks! Take care and God bless!

Blog Entries

Since you're still new to this hobby, here's a piece of advice I wish someone had given me when I was starting out: sample, sample, sample. Not only will you geometrically expand your experience at a fraction of the cost of full bottle or blind purchases, you will also figure out your taste preference before committing to full bottle purchases. So do check out sample/decanting sites like Surrender to Chance, decantshop, etc. You could start with sample packs by house/brand or perhaps a favorite note/genre.
    Currently wearing: L'Envol by Cartier

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Since you're still new to this hobby, here's a piece of advice I wish someone had given me when I was starting out: sample, sample, sample. Not only will you geometrically expand your experience at a fraction of the cost of full bottle or blind purchases, you will also figure out your taste preference before committing to full bottle purchases. So do check out sample/decanting sites like Surrender to Chance, decantshop, etc. You could start with sample packs by house/brand or perhaps a favorite note/genre.
    Thank you for the advice but personally I don't find buying a fraction of a bottle to be appealing. I've gotten samples from stores which is nice but I wouldn't drop 10 or 20 dollars on something I may not end up liking. I only blind bought Reflection man and Herod because I was 90% sure I'd like them but I won't be doing a blind buy ever again it jsut hurts my full time student income which is $0 a month until I get a job haha. Again though thanks for the advice but for now I'll stick to sniffing at stores when available, if I can't find a particualr scent I jsut won't be able to try it so I won't buy it. Take care and God bless!