Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: BOGUE MEM Arrival!

And, I believe you're a "lavender" guy...so I trust your word. I think I was hoping for a sort of lavender and old hay from descriptions I've read but now I'm just questioning everything.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Ryan it's not floral. It's VERY strange and unique and bold and some people I've made smell it hate it. A few were very intrigued. There is really nothing that I have ever smelled like this.

Having said that, it is not a good candidate for a blind buy lol.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    And, I believe you're a "lavender" guy...so I trust your word. I think I was hoping for a sort of lavender and old hay from descriptions I've read but now I'm just questioning everything.
    I don't think of 'lavender and old hay' when I wear MEM. It's so hard to describe. Turin comes close. There is a part of it that smells like floor wax. Serious. I love that part.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Diorella by Christian Dior

Damn, I wasn't able to find what Turin had to say on Google...but I've been looking for a unique lavender forward niche for a while now. Doesn't necessarily have to be floral. I enjoy a good green-stemmy, herbal and earthy lavender as much as I do the floral stuff.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    It's VERY strange and unique and bold and some people I've made smell it hate it. A few were very intrigued. There is really nothing that I have ever smelled like this.

Having said that, it is not a good candidate for a blind buy lol.
    I think this puts it in 'safe blind buy' category for me.
    a bottle a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Castile by Penhaligon's

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I think this puts it in 'safe blind buy' category for me.
    lol
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

I should not have but I just blind bought this. Hopefully my experience is more positive than MAAI.
    ((props))

-- Eckhart Tolle

User of Toilet Water

Have any of you MEM lovers also tried Pekji's Zeybek? After sampling it, I thought it was a tamer version of MEM, so I bought a bottle. After giving it a full wearing, it didn't seem so tame after all and seemed very close to MEM. I still need to try them side by side though.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    Have any of you MEM lovers also tried Pekji's Zeybek? After sampling it, I thought it was a tamer version of MEM, so I bought a bottle. After giving it a full wearing, it didn't seem so tame after all and seemed very close to MEM. I still need to try them side by side though.
    I haven't tried much from that line. Thanks for the tip.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

I'm looking for a unique take on lavender as I've been on a sort of "lavender kick" as of late. This caught my eye. But, I'm reading such mixed reviews... Is this a lavender-forward fragrance or does it at least play a predominant role? I enjoy the work of Bogue tremendously, but MAAI felt a little too 1920's femme on me.
    I blind bought Mem. It's such an experience! Every time I wear it my enjoyment of it takes several strides forward. It ain't your Beau de Jour's lavender.. and Mem has nothing to do with that shaving cream vibe. Not much in the way of spices, the lavender is big, bold and 3D while the woody, vanilla, amber, ambroxan(?) base warms it up just enough. The animalics are not utilized in the same manner as in Maai so I wouldn't worry about it being a civet or castoreum bomb... Gorgeous apricot and mint notes. It's sort of like wearing an Escher painting... it keeps shifting perspectives throughout the wearing.

I could almost recommend it as a blind buy if you hadn't had a less-than-expected experience with Maai- it's a Bogue after all and it's got Antonio's signature all over it.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

I'm amped up to try it. If it's anything like your description it will be a win. Beau de Jour is a suit and tie fragrance light on lavender. I'm down for the more raw, dirtier and untamed stuff. I was looking for a more unique take on the note so it sounds like this is about as far out on the uniqueness spectrum as one can go with lavender. I find the barbershop stuff to be a little one dimensional...this sounds like it's anything but!

Quote Originally Posted by Oud Dude View Post
    I blind bought Mem. It's such an experience! Every time I wear it my enjoyment of it takes several strides forward. It ain't your Beau de Jour's lavender.. and Mem has nothing to do with that shaving cream vibe. Not much in the way of spices, the lavender is big, bold and 3D while the woody, vanilla, amber, ambroxan(?) base warms it up just enough. The animalics are not utilized in the same manner as in Maai so I wouldn't worry about it being a civet or castoreum bomb... Gorgeous apricot and mint notes. It's sort of like wearing an Escher painting... it keeps shifting perspectives throughout the wearing.

I could almost recommend it as a blind buy if you hadn't had a less-than-expected experience with Maai- it's a Bogue after all and it's got Antonio's signature all over it.

Basenotes Plus

I’m really enjoying MAAI,I know this isn’t as animalic but MAAI has me wanting to sample the whole line.
    Can’t wait till my sample arrives.
    Make It Happen!

Current Top 10
    1.Encens Mythique d’Orient
    2.L’Heure Perdue
    3.Le Monarque II/Argentium Halo De Lune/Sultanate Of Oman
    4.Candy Aoud/(Dior) Vetiver/Santal Noir
    5.Vision In A Dream Psychedelic/Prolixe
    6.L’Heure Mysterieuse/Au Hasard
    7.Al-Khatt
    8.Le Monarque III/V
    9.Fetish Parfum Pour Homme/Les Sables Roses
    10.Dhajala/Fidelis/Misia Eau de Parfum

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by RawMia View Post
    I’m really enjoying MAAI,I know this isn’t as animalic but MAAI has me wanting to sample the whole line.
    Can’t wait till my sample arrives.
    Maai is amazing. A throwback to 1920s frags it feels like.

Basenotes Plus

I find the barbershop stuff to be a little one dimensional...this sounds like it's anything but!
    Spot on! It's lavender from every angle and even if you don't love it you'll definitely appreciate it. Also, as expensive as it is, it's a still strong ROI as it lasts forever... I've applied it in the morning and woke up the next day with it still humming along. Excited to read what you think.

MEM has arrived! Much better experience ordering from LuckyScent this time around.

But on to MEM...Nice packaging on the outside and box - not that I give a Sh*#...but nice nonetheless. Silicon cap which is odd...just like the Bogue line I suppose and I say that in a good way. Upon pulling the silicon cap and hearing it literally pop I noticed some fragrant gunk at the base of the atomizer where the bottle is crimped. I grabbed some Isopropyl Alcohol and cleaned it up. The smell of MEM is lingering on my hands. Although not a real full wear I have some impressions.

I thought of three things when I first sniffed. Carnival, Nucky Thompson (Boardwalk Empire) and Sicily. I have no idea why carnival or Sicily came to mind...But Nucky came to mind as I sniffed this more and more. For those of you that haven't seen the show, you get the idea from the photo below. I could imagine the fictional politician gone gangster wearing this strolling down the boardwalk looking dressed to the nines in a lavender cologne. The lavender cologne meeting some of the smells of the boardwalk - salted sea breeze, sea-soaked wooden boards, cotton candy and fragrant women of the 20s passing by to the point in which their fragrance isn't loud or overbearing but there's that slight feminine lift to the air surrounding the lavender scented man.

I need a bit of time wearing this to get the full detail of the fragrance and it's top to bottom notes. But, wow...what an impression this made just from first sniff. I absolutely love when fragrances can transport you to a time or place or even make conjure up images in your head both fictional and non. That's art!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Maai is amazing. A throwback to 1920s frags it feels like.
    Then sign me up for 1920 frags or any other fragrances in this genre!
    Make It Happen!

Current Top 10
    1.Encens Mythique d’Orient
    2.L’Heure Perdue
    3.Le Monarque II/Argentium Halo De Lune/Sultanate Of Oman
    4.Candy Aoud/(Dior) Vetiver/Santal Noir
    5.Vision In A Dream Psychedelic/Prolixe
    6.L’Heure Mysterieuse/Au Hasard
    7.Al-Khatt
    8.Le Monarque III/V
    9.Fetish Parfum Pour Homme/Les Sables Roses
    10.Dhajala/Fidelis/Misia Eau de Parfum

Basenotes Plus

MEM has arrived! Much better experience ordering from LuckyScent this time around.

But on to MEM...Nice packaging on the outside and box - not that I give a Sh*#...but nice nonetheless. Silicon cap which is odd...just like the Bogue line I suppose and I say that in a good way. Upon pulling the silicon cap and hearing it literally pop I noticed some fragrant gunk at the base of the atomizer where the bottle is crimped. I grabbed some Isopropyl Alcohol and cleaned it up. The smell of MEM is lingering on my hands. Although not a real full wear I have some impressions.

I thought of three things when I first sniffed. Carnival, Nucky Thompson (Boardwalk Empire) and Sicily. I have no idea why carnival or Sicily came to mind...But Nucky came to mind as I sniffed this more and more. For those of you that haven't seen the show, you get the idea from the photo below. I could imagine the fictional politician gone gangster wearing this strolling down the boardwalk looking dressed to the nines in a lavender cologne. The lavender cologne meeting some of the smells of the boardwalk - salted sea breeze, sea-soaked wooden boards, cotton candy and fragrant women of the 20s passing by to the point in which their fragrance isn't loud or overbearing but there's that slight feminine lift to the air surrounding the lavender scented man.

I need a bit of time wearing this to get the full detail of the fragrance and it's top to bottom notes. But, wow...what an impression this made just from first sniff. I absolutely love when fragrances can transport you to a time or place or even make conjure up images in your head both fictional and non. That's art!

Love the early review! Please update as you get to know it a little better. Mem has many tales to tell!

Basenotes Institution

Yeah interesting R, I smelled 'carnival' too from my first wearing. Almost like cotton candy...but something else. Perhaps cotton candy and the smell of a *place* mixed.

-- Eckhart Tolle