Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default BOGUE MEM Arrival!

Just got an email from Luckyscent saying they now have Bogue's newest scent Mem. ClaireV gave this one a beautiful review recently and it sounds pretty unusual and definitely worth sampling.

Has anyone already tried this?

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Default Re: BOGUE MEM Arrival!

I haven't tried it. From this house, I've tried Maai and Cadavre Exquis. I'd be curious to try the others including this new one.

I think I need to sample this one first. Interested in hearing thoughts on it. I like the wood notes but there are a handful of notes in this one that can go either way for me. After reading sometimes it's masculine, sometimes its feminine in the description furthers this for me. MAAI was clearly and amazing fragrance, but just wasn't for me as it was far too feminine-leaning for my liking. Good stuff coming out of Bogue regardless, great perfumer using the best ingredients available.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Will request this as a free sample with my next order.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I think I need to sample this one first. Interested in hearing thoughts on it. I like the wood notes but there are a handful of notes in this one that can go either way for me. After reading sometimes it's masculine, sometimes its feminine in the description furthers this for me. MAAI was clearly and amazing fragrance, but just wasn't for me as it was far too feminine-leaning for my liking. Good stuff coming out of Bogue regardless, great perfumer using the best ingredients available.
    From the sounds of it, Bogue is trying to take the unisex route on this one. I loved Maai, but wearing it wore me out, it was simply too big and a bit too strident for me. I actually enjoyed Aeon 001 a bit more.

Ordered a sample today.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Ordered a sample today.
    Me, too!

It is very dense; its more than that, the material seems to clot in the air inside your nose. You have to be prepared for an almost unctuous reconstituted lavender, I felt like it was a lavender factory next to a slaughterhouse, not the smell of slaughterhouse so much as the air around the slaughterhouse is suffuse with aerated particles of scent and you feel it physically, aside from just smelling it (it suffuses your mouth and gut). I'm also reminded of going to my father's cardio research labs as a child, the pungency of the materials involved in research filling the air.

The opening recalls MAAI, but where MAAI soared, this snarls along more slowly, teasing a sense of safety out of you as it bends into a thick of animalaics and the florals. And what florals. The ylang ylang figures in prominently in my nose. Sharp sour soapy lavender. A glowing low green ring of mint.

I do get the unburned incense reference in the dry-down, as per Claire V somewhere, that stage is more approachable, reminds me of dry-down of C Palatin in ways (Douchefour's perfume to me was more an affect of passion than it was truly passionate and ultimately left me very neutral, but this Gardoni creation is passionate, even as it's deliberate and precise). But prepare for that assault of lavender density along with the animalaics and that strange alien sparkle. Like traversing a very weird nasal DMT trip and returning to reality or the normal scale of things in the basenotes.

It's out there. It feels constructed deliberately as a challenge, far more than MAAI. It evokes death as fecundity's door for me, not just nature's fecundity, but a hyper-dense man-made one, what with our disturbing proclivity for amplification and scientific manipulation/perversion.

"The Earth Laughs Flowers" reads a quote on package, and I'm wondering if there's a sinister irony to that.
    Last edited by ctboom; 26th May 2017 at 06:22 PM.
    Currently wearing: New Sibet by Slumberhouse

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ctboom View Post
    It is very dense; its more than that, the material seems to clot in the air inside your nose. You have to be prepared for an almost unctuous reconstituted lavender, I felt like it was a lavender factory next to a slaughterhouse, not the smell of slaughterhouse so much as the air around the slaughterhouse is suffuse with aerated particles of scent and you feel it physically, aside from just smelling it (it suffuses your mouth and gut). I'm also reminded of going to my father's cardio research labs as a child, the pungency of the materials involved in research filling the air.

The opening recalls MAAI, but where MAAI soared, this snarls along more slowly, teasing a sense of safety out of you as it bends into thickness of animalaics and the florals. And what florals. The ylang ylang figures in prominently in my nose. Sharp sour soapy lavender. A glowing low green ring of mint.

I do get the unburned incense reference in the dry-down, as per Claire V somewhere, that stage is more approachable, reminds me of dry-down of C Palatin in ways (that perfume to me was more an affect of passion than it was truly passionate, but this one is passionate, even as it's deliberate and precise). But prepare for that assault of lavender density along with the animalaics and that strange alien sparkle. Like traversing a very weird nasal DMT trip and returning to reality or the normal scale of things in the basenotes.

It's out there. It feels constructed deliberately as a challenge, far more than MAAI. It evokes death as fecundity's door for me, not just nature's fecundity, but a hyper-dense man-made one, what with our proclivity for amplification and scientific manipulation/perversion.

"The Earth Laughs Flowers" reads a quote on package, and I'm wondering if there's a sinister irony to that.
    WOW! Thank you for this in depth and rather amazing review! I will be expecting something far more interesting than I had anticipated from my sample!

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    WOW! Thank you for this in depth and rather amazing review! I will be expecting something far more interesting than I had anticipated from my sample!
    "...the earth laughs in flowers..."

Gardoni seems to be quoting Emerson:

Hamatreya
    By Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bulkeley, Hunt, Willard, Hosmer, Meriam, Flint,
    Possessed the land which rendered to their toil
    Hay, corn, roots, hemp, flax, apples, wool, and wood.
    Each of these landlords walked amidst his farm,
    Saying, “’Tis mine, my children’s and my name’s.
    How sweet the west wind sounds in my own trees!
    How graceful climb those shadows on my hill!
    I fancy these pure waters and the flags
    Know me, as does my dog: we sympathize;
    And, I affirm, my actions smack of the soil.”

Where are these men? Asleep beneath their grounds:
    And strangers, fond as they, their furrows plough.
    Earth laughs in flowers, to see her boastful boys
    Earth-proud, proud of the earth which is not theirs;
    Who steer the plough, but cannot steer their feet
    Clear of the grave.
    They added ridge to valley, brook to pond,
    And sighed for all that bounded their domain;
    “This suits me for a pasture; that’s my park;
    We must have clay, lime, gravel, granite-ledge,
    And misty lowland, where to go for peat.
    The land is well,—lies fairly to the south.
    ’Tis good, when you have crossed the sea and back,
    To find the sitfast acres where you left them.”

Ah! the hot owner sees not Death, who adds
    Him to his land, a lump of mould the more.
    Hear what the Earth say:—

EARTH-SONG

“Mine and yours;
    Mine, not yours.
    Earth endures;
    Stars abide—
    Shine down in the old sea;
    Old are the shores;
    But where are old men?
    I who have seen much,
    Such have I never seen.

“The lawyer’s deed
    Ran sure,
    In tail,
    To them and to their heirs
    Who shall succeed,
    Without fail,
    Forevermore.

“Here is the land,
    Shaggy with wood,
    With its old valley,
    Mound and flood.
    But the heritors?—
    Fled like the flood's foam.
    The lawyer and the laws,
    And the kingdom,
    Clean swept herefrom.

“They called me theirs,
    Who so controlled me;
    Yet every one
    Wished to stay, and is gone,
    How am I theirs,
    If they cannot hold me,
    But I hold them?”

When I heard the Earth-song
    I was no longer brave;
    My avarice cooled
    Like lust in the chill of the grave.
    Currently wearing: New Sibet by Slumberhouse

any additional reviews on this one?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Mandaguy View Post
    any additional reviews on this one?
    I'm wondering why we don't have reviews for Bogue's MEM or for for Marlou's L'animal Sauvage.

I tried it. Far from ctboom's experience, I got lavender layered with fruit. Not sweet, but dense. No animalics to my nose, either, and no incense. I found it to smell of quality, but my skin ate all the nuance and left a linear fruity fragrance. Not a fun fruit like Bombay Bling, or an interesting fruit like Bat, or an over-th-top fruit like Pulp, but like assorted macerated fruits in a bowl. I was disappointed. I love and own Maai, and from the notes this should have been a must-buy. There's always next time.
    It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.--Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.
    Currently wearing: Classic 1920 by Bois 1920

Quote Originally Posted by foxbins View Post
    I tried it. Far from ctboom's experience, I got lavender layered with fruit. Not sweet, but dense. No animalics to my nose, either, and no incense. I found it to smell of quality, but my skin ate all the nuance and left a linear fruity fragrance. Not a fun fruit like Bombay Bling, or an interesting fruit like Bat, or an over-th-top fruit like Pulp, but like assorted macerated fruits in a bowl. I was disappointed. I love and own Maai, and from the notes this should have been a must-buy. There's always next time.
    thank you
    Current Go-To:
    Javanese Patchouli (Zegna), Vintage Tabarome (Creed), Vetiver Ext. (R Dove), Kobe (Xerjoff), M1849 (Creed), L'Air du Desert Marocain (Tauer), Colonia Essenza (Acqua di Parma), Musc Infini (Ex Nihilo), Bergamot Ext. (R Dove), Musk Oud (By Killian), Violettes du Czar (Legrand)

Basenotes Institution

I ordered a decant of this. I am a big fan of lavender scents and I wanted to see what all the fuss is about.

I thoroughly enjoy my decant of Cologne Reloaded.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Bois de Mysore by Mizensir

Basenotes Institution

Wearing this now.

My head is spinning trying to orient my perceptions around this strange little creature. I get the aromatic, sharp smells that are co-mingled with the caramel sweet fruit notes. I love that. Underneath it is something dark and black...or is there?
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I'll be getting a bottle (or two) soon. Just phenomenal, it's up there with la nuit by Paco rabanne and Siberian Musk by Areej Le Dore. Strongly animalic with an indolic sweetness I find hard to describe. Can't say I smell the lavender but that may be the point; he transformed it into something else, if so, bravo! Definitely a love but a hard sell if self conscious

I love noun and mem not really a fan of maai or o/e
    Currently wearing: Pulp by Byredo

Maai is holy grail territory for me and after Luca's and Claire's reviews I was very keen on trying this. Unfortunately, I find it pretty awful. The creamy lavender-skin-white floral opening is very promising, but then functional perfumery hell breaks loose on my skin: plasticky florality pumped up with ethyl-maltol, household cleaner smell blended with the urinous notes to give an olfactory portrait of a superficially scrubbed restaurant toilet. Plus, serious nose and throat irritation from some materials (probably aldehydes, but also something else with a Scoville-unit effect in my respiratiory tract), which doesn't happen often. A real scrubber and to me, in complete opposition to Maai, an unsatisfying attempt at postmodern jouissance with various grand perfume traditions. n.b.: If Luca thinks these florals come across as natural then he's quite right about his nose having been "corrupted by decades of reading synthetic large-type print."

Basenotes Plus

I love this so much. I am wearing a sample today. Ordered a full bottle. An extraordinary scent with many facets that I can't in my inexperience even comment on.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    I love this so much. I am wearing a sample today. Ordered a full bottle. An extraordinary scent with many facets that I can't in my inexperience even comment on.
    I almost wore this this morning, instead I chose another 'winter floral' (Rose Flash). I will wear Mem tonight. I love this stuff.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Excellent fragrance. Dominique Ropion wishes he had made it.

I'm looking for a unique take on lavender as I've been on a sort of "lavender kick" as of late. This caught my eye. But, I'm reading such mixed reviews... Is this a lavender-forward fragrance or does it at least play a predominant role? I enjoy the work of Bogue tremendously, but MAAI felt a little too 1920's femme on me.

Basenotes Plus

it's quite Lavender forward in my opinion.

Always lavender, but so much else...

So the lavender is pretty prominent throughout? The only reason I'm concerned is that I see a few similar notes to MAAI (jasmine, ylang ylang) which white florals took the wheel and wrecked the fragrance from me.

it's quite Lavender forward in my opinion.

Always lavender, but so much else...

Basenotes Plus

So the lavender is pretty prominent throughout? The only reason I'm concerned is that I see a few similar notes to MAAI (jasmine, ylang ylang) which white florals took the wheel and wrecked the fragrance from me.
    I would say Mem goes in a more Lavender-forward direction, without a doubt, and animalic complexity rather than indolic white floral complexity.

You hit the nail on the head. Thanks for the response! I can do animalic...indolic not so much.

I would say Mem goes in a more Lavender-forward direction, without a doubt, and animalic complexity rather than indolic white floral complexity.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I'm also very intrigued about this one, and have come close to blind-buying twice.

I'm looking for a unique take on lavender as I've been on a sort of "lavender kick" as of late. This caught my eye. But, I'm reading such mixed reviews... Is this a lavender-forward fragrance or does it at least play a predominant role? I enjoy the work of Bogue tremendously, but MAAI felt a little too 1920's femme on me.
    Have you tried Music For A While? And, how are you liking Beau de Jour?
    50 sprays a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Basenotes Institution

Ryan it's not floral. It's VERY strange and unique and bold and some people I've made smell it hate it. A few were very intrigued. There is really nothing that I have ever smelled like this.

Having said that, it is not a good candidate for a blind buy lol.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I was on the same page as you but reviews I'm reading are all over the damn place...tons of lavender, no lavender...I may have to sample this instead of blind buying for once. I'm loving Beau de Jour...it's hard to describe other than the most expensive shaving cream you could possibly imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I'm also very intrigued about this one, and have come close to blind-buying twice.

Have you tried Music For A While? And, how are you liking Beau de Jour?