Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Unhappy How to overcome the awkwardness when you constantly test frags in the same shop

Well, in my small town, we have plenty of frag boutiques. But most are small and have limited choices. Sephora is quite the other way down the road so I constantly visit this perfume store with a large collection of perfumes.. Within few weeks, I have gone for sniffs for more than three times and bought two frags in a go. I would love to go for a sniff again and I am so afraid of being judged as the crazy girl who always comes here to sniff frags. The sales people are always the same people....OMG.. Does anyone has to go through the same awkwardness?

Default Re: How to overcome the awkwardness when you constantly test frags in the same shop

What if they judge you that way? Who cares.

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: How to overcome the awkwardness when you constantly test frags in the same shop

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaO View Post
    Within few weeks, I have gone for sniffs for more than three times and bought two frags in a go.
    I would think they would be happy to have you as a return customer.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Have experienced little to no awkwardness so far, possibly due to shopping at least occasionally in stores where testing takes place (although the number of testing/samplings still exceeds the one of full bottle purchases) and also being more concerned about taking an informed decision as a customer, almost irrespective how many testings it requires

No awkwardness here. I actually have gained rapports with these individuals. A lot on first name basis.

Basenotes Member

No reason to be awkward. They are just salespeople working a job. You are the potential buyer. You need to know what you're getting, so test away.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

If you're buying stuff every now and then, you should have little if any reason to feel awkward. Unless of course you're socially awkward regardless of whether fragrances or food trucks are involved.

Are the people in there friendly? Chatting and developing relationships helps. I've discovered that it even eliminates (almost) the application of pressure to try to sell you anything. They know I'll buy something eventually.........SOMEWHERE ELSE ONLINE, AT 40% LESS MUAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Just kidding, sort of.

don't deceive with belief

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    What if they judge you that way? Who cares.
    This.

Missing Oakmoss

Perfume can be a costly investment, so don't feel embarrassed by checking and re-checking how something smells. And if you like a fragrance, buy it from the store where you sampled it. I agree with IsoESuperman and sjg3839, over time a nice relationship will develop between you and the sales assistants - this can be mutually beneficial on a number of levels.

Think of it this way: No matter how frequently you go there and how much time you spend there, the people who work there go there more frequently and spend more time.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelVaillant View Post
    Think of it this way: No matter how frequently you go there and how much time you spend there, the people who work there go there more frequently and spend more time.
    Excellent!

Well, personally I think you should be ashamed or yourself

for buying 2 fragrances in a shop. You most likely could have found them cheaper online.

If sometimes you actually buy something, you have no reason to feel ashamed.
    My problem is different, and very simple... as a college student, I don't have that much money.
    Really, I'd like to give to the store i walk in my money, they are all nice to me... but i really can't.The other day I was testing ferrari bright neroli. It was priced 98$. I found online at 24$ (before you ask, in Italy). I felt bad about it, but what can i do? For sure, if my income were bigger, i would pay more (ok, not that much... but 20-25$ more it's realistic) but i simply can not. It's like or buying online, or don't buy.
    I feel really bad, but what can i do?
    So... i just started to go to a different place every time. unfortunately, i'm running low since i live in a small town. Don't know what to do next, lol.

I just shared my experience because i don't think you should be ashamed at all. Perfumes are expensive, and you have the right to test them.

I don't feel awkward sniffing around while choosing the perfect fragrance. I'm sure the sales people are happy seeing you around their shop and that it doesn't bother them. you have nothing to worry.

I really wouldn't worry about it. The SA knows that people want to wear a fragrance a few times before opening the wallet. A lot of people on Basenotes will tell you that buying a fragrance because of a spray on a test strip or a simple spray on the arm without letting it dry down might not be a great idea. For instance, I don't care for the initial opening of Polo Green, but I think the dry down is great. If I just went by the initial spray on a strip or my arm, I would not have it in my collection. So, don't feel awkward about testing a fragrance a few times before you make a decision. After all, you wouldn't buy a car without test driving it first, right?
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Basenotes Junkie Still-Life With Red Rob's Avatar
    (Outside)Portland, Oregon, on the Mighty Columbia, rolling on to the ocean...
    Blog Entries

They make their money catering to your curiosity about a frag. When I first sought more than the one scent I habitually wore, and wanted to explore the hobby, I felt awkward approaching the frag counter at Nordstrom...very awkward, in fact, confused, and probably confusing to the SA. Now (and I'm still not very comfortable in the store setting, personally) I know enough to just walk up, pick up the bottle I want to spray, then ask the SA to make me a samples of a couple more. They have bottles especially for testers and at Nordstrom anyway, they have drawers FILLED with decanting supplies. If they hesitate to make me a Marley or a Tom Ford or whatever I feel I want to try, I wouldn't pause to ask for a manager. Well, that's a little overbearing, but my point is: samples for you is part of what the SA at the frag counter is there for. And once you learn a little lingo here at the BN, you'll chat away with them. I feel like the SA's at Nordstrom fragrance area that I've encountered must be Basenoters, too...once they recognize you're a fraghead, they bend over backwards, because they recognize your interest isn't merely casual or spontaneous. I've actually never had a SA ever refuse to help. Sephora has a similar policy, no?

Sephora has actually been great to me. As soon as I start looking at the frags, they almost always come over immediately and ask if they can make samples for me. That is how I became a huge fan of Dior Sauvage. If I just tried it on a test strip, I don't think I would have liked it. I think it is great that they let you have free samples. Unfortunately, I heard that some Nordstroms are getting a little tight with the Creed frags. Apparently, some people get the juice and sell it on ebay. Do you know if Nordstroms is closely watching the sample giving of the higher end frags?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by My2scents4u View Post
    I heard that some Nordstroms are getting a little tight with the Creed frags. Apparently, some people get the juice and sell it on ebay. Do you know if Nordstroms is closely watching the sample giving of the higher end frags?
    I know I have bought samples on ebay before from sellers with nordstrom references in their name...like maybe they worked as SA's for them. Nordstrom was tight with samples with me when I was awkward at the counter initially until I learned to just not be awkward. A tip I learned: don't ask for a sample of, say, Sauvage or l'Homme Ultime or Spicebomb, which they have tons and tons of. For some reason they do seem reluctant to part with them...or some SA's I should say. I just ask them to make me a decant of the most expensive shit they have, if I want. Do it with the tone of authority that Nordstrom SA's respond to, and they will. I've gone in after 30 mile bike rides, unshaven, hairy, dirty, wanting to cover my BO with a new-to-me scent. Ask politely but with the tone that doesn't allow refusal and they'll make a sample. They have little 2-3 ml plastic atomizers with Nordstrom written on the side of it and specially made cards that the sample clips into that they write the name on. They definitely have the supplies and they should have the desire to make it for you. They've really never refused me, and a couple who see the lover's interest, make samples of their faves. It doesn't hurt to drop the names of the scents you bought from them most recently: "Oh, I really enjoy that you have Frederic Malle's line available now. Musc Ravageur is sooo expensive! Let me try that one there...no, I'm wearing Spice and Wood, now...I don't want to mix the two...just make me a sample would you? Thanks." Just like that. FWIW: they have backed off the Creeds for whatever reason, but then they were mostly an online option, weren't they? They definitely have ALL the TF's you could desire, and Diptyques too. Just ask. They'll deliver...they do for me, and I have no shame about looking like a bum. Their noses reveal that I'm serious when they smell me!

That is cool. I want to try several of TFs frags. I have yet to go into Nordstroms, but I will keep your advice in mind when I do go there. I think the SA realize that by being nice, it could mean sales. One place that is tight to the point of stinginess is Macys. They are always "out" of samples. If you bring your own vial, they will probably tackle you to the floor. Lol.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by My2scents4u View Post
    That is cool. I want to try several of TFs frags. I have yet to go into Nordstroms, but I will keep your advice in mind when I do go there. I think the SA realize that by being nice, it could mean sales. One place that is tight to the point of stinginess is Macys. They are always "out" of samples. If you bring your own vial, they will probably tackle you to the floor. Lol.
    Macys wouldn't give me a card like Nordstrom did, so I don't shop with them, lol!
    i did bring in my own atomizer one day, and the SA at Nordstrom looked aghast: "Oh, we have our own...I don't know where that thing's been" And he laughed and hooked me up, letting me see the secret stash drawer. Oh, yeah...they've got supplies to go with all those brown boxed tester bottles they are supplied with. Nordstrom has gone down a cheaper marketing path recently, IMO, but they still trump Macys by wanting so desperately to pander to your sense of luxury and decadence. Fotr the TFs they have the little 4ml splash bottles wit the "official" labels. If they didn't want you coming in and asking for two or three (my guy is willing to make three at a time) then why do they have pre-printed sheets of labels for each frag in the TF line up? They gave me samples last time of Costa Azzura, Noir de Noir and Tom Ford Tom Ford, which I really like...it's sort of in Tom's classic aesthetic along the lines of GPH and M7, if you ask me: different, but clearly, aesthetically and personally Tom Ford.

I am excited about trying more TF. I will stop by the Nordstoms near my house and let you know how it goes. I am hoping the SA there are like the ones at Sephora. Unfortunately, the Sephora that I go to is inside JC Penney, so their selection is rather limited (no TF, a few YSL--no Opium or M7--a TF creation, some Dior but no Homme intense, they did have Polo Red Extreme which I liked).
    Last edited by My2scents4u; 19th June 2017 at 04:14 AM.

Blog Entries

You can always check out the discounters, such as Fragrencenet and Fragrancex. There's others, too. You won't find M7 in its original formulation, for example, but the M7 Oud Absolut is pretty damn good, and it's like $50 at the discounters. AFAIK, TF isn't a nose or a scent designer, per se, but the aesthetic drive behind his scents. I feel like there are a few classic TF-style scents he helmed the production of, and I feel like there's a "type" of frag he likes his perfumers to make. the whole modern interpretations of classic masculine scents. Not all his stuff has it of course, but a few have that vibe for me.

Basenotes Plus

It is really a case of their awkwardness, as you apparently know more than they do about fragrances.

Who cares?

I could understand feeling awkward if you sampled there constantly and never bought anything, but you've already bought stuff there so it's not like you're taking advantage of them. As far as being the crazy girl who sniffs too many perfumes, you might as well! Life would be boring without our eccentricities and quirks--you're helping our planet. Sniff away.

I agree with you. When I first started really appreciating fragrances, I also felt awkward asking for samples or going in to a store to get a spray or two. The way I dealt with it was to look at reviews of a frag that I was interested in, and then explain to the SA, if approached, what I was looking for (i.e. specific notes, dry down characteristics, etc...). I hope that my original post did not come across as condescending. That was not my intention. : )

I agree with this. If there is any awkwardness, it is most likely just you feeling this way. They are most likely working in that section due to there own interest in fragrances.

Right. If I worked as a SA at Nordstroms or NM, I would encourage people to take samples. There are places where I will buy a frag from a particular SA because they were generous with samples.

It's only awkward if you constantly go there to test and don't buy anything (because you bought online). I wouldn't worry about it.
    "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

Its only awkward if you make it awkward.

Nothing wrong with this.