Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Fragrancenet sending out old bottles again

Quote Originally Posted by Shave-A-Thon View Post
    I know they're not expensive fragrances but it's frustrating to receive bottles past their retail shelf life.
    For me it would be the opposite; the older the better.
    My Top '11' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: pour homme (vtg)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Ferrari: Essence Oud Edp
    - Dior: Fahrenheit (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Mancera: Cedrat Boise
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Knize Ten
    - Amouage: Interlude

Interesting how this could have just as easily been a "I received two vintage bottles from fragrancenet, Huzzah!" thread. I suppose it is all a matter of one's perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    For me it would be the opposite; the older the better.
    If the bottles were stored properly and had production dates from the heyday of powerhouse fragrances (1980's and 1990's), I would heartily agree. For Aramis Havana, that would be the mid 1990's. I bought Aramis in the early 1980's and I'm not so sure the current formulation is nearly as strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinky Pete View Post
    Interesting how this could have just as easily been a "I received two vintage bottles from fragrancenet, Huzzah!" thread. I suppose it is all a matter of one's perspective.
    That would be like calling Chivas Regal from 2012 a vintage bottle!

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    It's not milk FFS.
    An almost unprecedented level of chrono-neuroticism. 18 months, 7 months....yikes.

It's the gray market - beggars can't be choosers. Aside from that, it shouldn't make a shred of difference if it's a few years old. The stuff with these oven-esque warehouses and UPS trucks damaging the liquid content is way overblown. If that were true, there would be loads of spoiled stuff that is only a few years old - yet, there isn't.
    Currently wearing: Berlin im Winter by Baruti

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    An almost unprecedented level of chrono-neuroticism. 18 months, 7 months....yikes.

It's the gray market - beggars can't be choosers. Aside from that, it shouldn't make a shred of difference if it's a few years old. The stuff with these oven-esque warehouses and UPS trucks damaging the liquid content is way overblown. If that were true, there would be loads of spoiled stuff that is only a few years old - yet, there isn't.

This isn't 18 months and 7 months. These bottles are 48 months and 55 months. Most of the millions of customers who buy from the discounters haven't a clue as to how old their bottles are and don't realize the difference. You'll read loads of complaints on the BBB site or on Amazon about "fakes", and they don't realize the juice doesn't smell strong is because of the date of the bottle and how it's been stored since it was produced 2, 3, 4 or 5 years ago.

The fact that there's millions being made by a whole chain of distributors and retailers who don't really know the difference from real product vs. counterfeit product shouldn't be dismissed with a flippant "beggars can't be choosers" line. With so many major fragrance houses now selling online direct to the public, there's no reason they can't have more control of their returned product and sell them at a major discount as they're eliminating the secondary levels of wholesaling. There will still be a market for their brand new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Krycek View Post
    I wonder if the actual perfume house ever accidentally produces a batch with a slight flaw and proceeds to sell the batch directly to the online discounter at an even cheaper price.
    This is an interesting question and one I don't think I have ever seen asked. Like a second or blemished article. I don't know what quality control steps are in place and how those are applied while the product is being manufactured. Are they conducting test samples at particular intervals as certain ingredients are being added or do they wait until a finished product to test the perfume was properly blended. I would suppose there has to be some quality control in the manufacturing process. They don't just pour everything in, call it good and hope for the best. There was a good video about Guerlain on youtube and it showed their blending and talked about the costs of some of the ingredients but they didn't go into too much detail about how they ensure the consistency of the product.

Shave-A-Thon, go pay full price retail. You cant have it both ways, freshest of the fresh and cheapest of the cheap.
    You have ZERO knowledge of how perfumes are stored, yet you'll make assumptions to be the worst case scenario for as long as they are old.
    None of us have a problem with our grey market, discounter fragrances.
    Can we close this thread now? Its at "beating the dead equine" level now.
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    3 Latest Videos: Guerlain - L'Homme Ideal Cologne / CoSTUME NATIONAL - 21 / Guerlain - L'Homme Ideal EDT
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store

If the bottles were stored properly and had production dates from the heyday of powerhouse fragrances (1980's and 1990's), I would heartily agree. For Aramis Havana, that would be the mid 1990's. I bought Aramis in the early 1980's and I'm not so sure the current formulation is nearly as strong.
    I agree of course but if same formulations I also prefer the older ones.....
    My Top '11' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: pour homme (vtg)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Ferrari: Essence Oud Edp
    - Dior: Fahrenheit (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Mancera: Cedrat Boise
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Knize Ten
    - Amouage: Interlude

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    Shave-A-Thon, go pay full price retail. You cant have it both ways, freshest of the fresh and cheapest of the cheap.
    You have ZERO knowledge of how perfumes are stored, yet you'll make assumptions to be the worst case scenario for as long as they are old.
    None of us have a problem with our grey market, discounter fragrances.
    Can we close this thread now? Its at "beating the dead equine" level now.
    Never stop an opposing or wrong position from self-destructing in front of a huge audience.

This is a highly educational thread on the realities of fragrance aging, reformulation, store buying for authentic new juice, etc. If the OP wants to demonstrate both the advantages of in-store buys for fresh juice and the awesomeness of vintage, aged fragrances, and non-reformulations which can be obtained through discounters, as well as the maxim caveat emptor, while making consumer over-protection look foolish, there is no way I'm going to stop him!
    Currently wearing: Roadster by Cartier

Basenotes Plus

I once received a 4 year old bottle from the Creed Boutique. It was and still is wonderful.
    Currently wearing: Pulp by Byredo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post
    I once received a 4 year old bottle from the Creed Boutique. It was and still is wonderful.
    It makes me wonder if the whole fragrance shelf-life thing is statistical and real, regulatory and an annoyance, or simply motivated by marketing as an excuse to move embarrassing failures off the shelf. Maybe a combination of all of these.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    It's the gray market - beggars can't be choosers.
    This.
    Current Favorites (not in any particular order)
    Rose 31
    Nio
    APOM
    Endymion
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    Royal Oud
    1725 Casanova
    Reflection Man
    Dior Homme
    Original Vetiver
    Aqua Celestia
    Aqua Universalis
    Millesime Imperial
    Hanae Mori HM EDT
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Bergamote Soleil

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    It makes me wonder if the whole fragrance shelf-life thing is statistical and real, regulatory and an annoyance, or simply motivated by marketing as an excuse to move embarrassing failures off the shelf. Maybe a combination of all of these.
    Right. I suspect that the second and third considerations are the most likely.

Fragrances don't really expire. Ideally I would want an older bottle, because there are so many reformulations happening.
    My Ultimate Top 5:

Fahrenheit (1988)
    Le Vetiver Itasca (2010)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)

LOL, you must new to fragrances , given the rate reformulations are happening, and older bottle is always a good thing.

Missing Oakmoss

Older bottles aren't always better, unless they contain well-stored vintage fragrances (which maintain their quality for decades). My main issue with older batches of modern reformulations, is that some years were noteworthy for bad batches - like 2015 Mitsouko EDP. Companies typically don't go to the bother and expense of recalling such batches, they just offload the stock.

ETA: They don't necessarily replace iffy batches in their own boutiques, for that matter.
    Last edited by Bonnette; 4th June 2017 at 08:44 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Older bottles aren't always better, unless they contain well-stored vintage fragrances (which maintain their quality for decades). My main issue with older batches of modern reformulations, is that some years were noteworthy for bad batches - like 2015 Mitsouko EDP. Companies typically don't go to the bother and expense of recalling such batches, they just offload the stock.

ETA: They don't necessarily replace iffy batches in their own boutiques, for that matter.
    Also citrus. Even the cheap stuff. Topnotes age very rapidly, and fresh really matters. I rarely buy citrus frags or colognes from anywhere but stores or boutiques with heavy sales. I do NOT want an old bottle from a discounter.

Are there any online retailers who sell the older CH Men? Im told the new one doesnt last

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Are there any online retailers who sell the older CH Men? Im told the new one doesnt last
    The issue is more that you can't know for certain what you'll get, no matter where you buy it. You can order three bottles of the same fragrance in a single day from the same retailer, and get three different batches - it all depends on what's in the warehouse. And those bottles come from all over, there's no single source. Everything is fluid, no pun intended.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

This isn't 18 months and 7 months. These bottles are 48 months and 55 months. Most of the millions of customers who buy from the discounters haven't a clue as to how old their bottles are and don't realize the difference. You'll read loads of complaints on the BBB site or on Amazon about "fakes", and they don't realize the juice doesn't smell strong is because of the date of the bottle and how it's been stored since it was produced 2, 3, 4 or 5 years ago.

The fact that there's millions being made by a whole chain of distributors and retailers who don't really know the difference from real product vs. counterfeit product shouldn't be dismissed with a flippant "beggars can't be choosers" line. With so many major fragrance houses now selling online direct to the public, there's no reason they can't have more control of their returned product and sell them at a major discount as they're eliminating the secondary levels of wholesaling. There will still be a market for their brand new stuff.
    I was referring to post #8 where you returned something because it was 18 months old, but honestly 5-6 years doesn't bother me a bit and like many others who've expressed the sentiment, I'd prefer older bottles in many cases (agree with citrus tops degrading - which can happen once you own it as well, so it is not exclusively a discounter phenomenon). Call me a cynic, but my take is that a fair percentage of the folks on Amazon complaining about fakes either:

- Don't recall what it smelled like/never smelled it before
    - Are taking advantage of the lenient refund policy that Amazon has (where you keep the bottle and are fully reimbursed)

That said, I don't doubt that some 3rd party Amazon sellers have actually sold fakes or poorly stored items, but I don't think it is as common as the reviews would lead one to believe.

I'm of the opinion that many people underestimate the environmental resiliency of modern (non-natural) fragrances. I'm not sure why you think "beggars can't be choosers" is dismissive and flippant, especially in light of the majority of other responses on this thread and the other one you created. I posted it because I think it is absolutely relevant and entirely applicable to your concerns about receiving "old" fragrances from gray market discounters, summed up in a concise colloquialism, which I stand by 100%. If it is not a phrase you're familiar with and you thought I was implying that those (including myself) who buy from discounters are literally beggars, I wasn't.
    Currently wearing: Berlin im Winter by Baruti

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    The issue is more that you can't know for certain what you'll get, no matter where you buy it. You can order three bottles of the same fragrance in a single day from the same retailer, and get three different batches - it all depends on what's in the warehouse. And those bottles come from all over, there's no single source. Everything is fluid, no pun intended.
    Makes sense. Thank you.

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Makes sense. Thank you.
    Lesson learned the hard (and expensive) way!

I'll echo what others have stated here and say that I actually prefer a fragrance after its had some time to age or mature, it brings out subtle nuances to my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    If you don't like them, you're going to blame it on fragrancenet in accordance with any assumptions you've made as to the storage, so just return them.
    good suggestion. The right thing is to return if you are not completly satisfied.

to my knowledge fragrance that are old have more mature fragrance, they smell better than the new ones. Ageing is an important part in perfume manufacturing.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_smell View Post
    to my knowledge fragrance that are old have more mature fragrance, they smell better than the new ones. Ageing is an important part in perfume manufacturing.
    As someone who's been buying since the early 1970's and experienced all the powerhouses of the 1980's when buying retail at major department stores was practically the only option, I would agree with you. I have bottles that are still 25% or more full that are over 30 years old and they still smell great with nice longevity.

The case here is that there are about 3 or 4 main 3rd party distributors where all the discounters are getting their product. Some bottles are returns from major retailers, others are bought at closeouts and others are grey market that could travel from the far reaches of the globe, and others could just be fakes or counterfeits. In summary, there's no control of the environmental conditions in which they were stored, in what could have been a very long and very arduous journey to your shelf.

It's been nearly a month since my original post and I should add that I decided to keep the 2 bottles of Bogart Pour Homme that I ordered despite being nearly 4.5 years old.
    The projection isn't nearly what I've heard, but many reviews recommend avoiding the later bottles because they seem weaker anyway. The 4 year od Aramis Havana was just too weak and to Fragrancenet's credit, they emailed a prepaid shipping label and I returned it for credit.

Just bought a bottle of Creed Erolfa from Fragrancenet last week. Received a 2016 batch in the mail yesterday. I'm pleasantly surprised, smells great!
    MadHat Scents

Brineapple (Pineapple, Guava, Ylang Ylang, Marine Notes, Green Tea, Cade, Guaiacwood, Cedar Wood, Ozone) / Fur - ONLY 60ML REMAINING - (Vintage Musks, Woods, Leather) / Onsen Wood (Hinoki/Hiba/Cedar/Yuzu) / Vert Moss (Oakmoss Absolute, Cologne, Vetiver, Incense, Cedar) / L.O.M. Leather Oud Musk (Leather, Oud, Musk, Beeswax, Tobacco, Strawberry, Incense & Amber)

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Just bought a bottle of Creed Erolfa from Fragrancenet last week. Received a 2016 batch in the mail yesterday. I'm pleasantly surprised, smells great!
    I just checked and noticed that both Fragrancenet and Notino were in the same ballpark for the 4 oz. bottle ($172).

Blog Entries

I've made many purchases through Fragrancenet over the years, and they were all fine. The only complaint I have about them is that while located literally 4 1/2 hours from my house, they take a LONG TIME to get to me. Part of it is that Fragrancenet takes a few days to ship, and partly b/c they use FEDEX which sucks. 1 week delivery time from 4 1/2 hours away. I've gotten frags from the other side of the country in 3 days when the seller uses USPS.
    [SIZE=]See my Sale thread for partial bottles/samples Zoology, Penhaligon, Montale, marc de la morandiere, many others! [/SIZE]
    Currently wearing: Fate Man by Amouage

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    I've made many purchases through Fragrancenet over the years, and they were all fine. The only complaint I have about them is that while located literally 4 1/2 hours from my house, they take a LONG TIME to get to me. Part of it is that Fragrancenet takes a few days to ship, and partly b/c they use FEDEX which sucks. 1 week delivery time from 4 1/2 hours away. I've gotten frags from the other side of the country in 3 days when the seller uses USPS.
    If you sign up with Shoprunner, purchased are delivered in two days.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.