Code of Conduct

Default An evening with Gold Cap Guerlain Vetiver

This stuff has some bite to start.
    I definitely see some similar features with Givenchy Vetyver with its nutmeg spice and Chanel's Sycomore but not as bright and crisp, same type of Haitian vetiver.

This one is green, grassy, but bitingly chewy, nearly leathery at points and a wisp of smoke from time to time. I get a touch a clove rather than tobacco.
    Some soapy musk hovering around in the background to keep it above the rough.
    Make no mistake, this one is clearly a "man with money" vetiver in how it presents itself.

Everything is clear with this one, and its excellent.
    I also have a 2000 version bottle with the ribs and there is much more interference from the unsettling musk to its detriment.
    I'm really lucky to have secured a 50ml bottle of this stuff sub-$30.

Its excellent and recommended for vetiver enthusiasts looking for a classically styled smooth operator.

s-l500.jpg
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    3 Latest Videos: Guerlain - L'Homme Ideal Cologne / CoSTUME NATIONAL - 21 / Guerlain - L'Homme Ideal EDT
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store
    Currently wearing: Paradis Perdu by Frapin

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: An evening with Gold Cap Guerlain Vetiver

Lucky to have a large full bottle of this. Excellent fragrance.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Gold cap all the way!!!! Yes, it is all that and a bag of chips.
    Striving still to Truth unknown
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

Thanks for the review.

Thanks for your impressions. I only own a fairly recent bottle and enjoy it quite a bit. Have sniffed the ribbed bottle and found it very nice as well. I once had a gold cap vintage in my hand, but had to pass because it had been ruined by improper storage.

I once had the gold cap version and enjoyed it except for a damp hay smell or scent of wet lawn clippings in a compost pile in the summer. Best way I can describe it. It was late 90's and before I bought the bottle I never realized this note. I am not sure if my bottle was bad or this is a note I later picked up. I wanted to revisit the scent early 2000's so I bought the ribbed bottle which is supposed to symbolize the decades of a mans life and have been pleased. I know people talk about how it is lighter and more citrus than previous. I even wrote Guerlain at the time and they insisted the formula in the ribbed was the same as previous versions. I have the large 4.2 oz/125ml bottle with about 70-75% full so I am set for a long time since I don't wear that often.

Can you go into a little more detail on the musk note that interferes in the green ribbed version?

I have a decant of the gold capped version, and if I'm being totally honest, I find the differences between it and my ribbed-bottle version to be minute: for me the ribbed version is a very slightly sweeter (the musk you refer to?) and brighter, and the gold cap is a hair mossier and darker, and the effervescent opening is a little toned down. Both excellent, but not different enough for me that I'd be able to tell them apart without a detailed side by side comparison.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 6th June 2017 at 04:13 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Institution

MegaMav - have you smelled gold cap Eau de Cologne? IMO it's even better than the EdT.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: No. 88 by Czech & Speake

Smellcheck

Would any of you guys have an opinion on which of the versions you're discussing might be more appropriate for a female to wear?

From LiveJazz's description it sounds like maybe the ribbed bottle might be?

I really love Sycomore, and I'm looking for another vetiver that's bright and not too barbershoppy.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm going to be wearing this all summer and my friends will ask, "Where's
    the classy lady who just shampooed her horse?"

--MsMaryO on Air de Cabochard

Although not ultimately getting to buy this particular version/release, did get to test it and the experience was quite pleasant and rewarding each time, perhaps even more so by the standards of a long term Guerlain fan

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Would any of you guys have an opinion on which of the versions you're discussing might be more appropriate for a female to wear?

From LiveJazz's description it sounds like maybe the ribbed bottle might be?

I really love Sycomore, and I'm looking for another vetiver that's bright and not too barbershoppy.
    I would not call any of the Guerlain versions 'bright' but I think you'll be happy with the current release. The tobacco is a bit toned down.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: No. 88 by Czech & Speake

Interesting take on it. Thanks for the review.

I don't own the gold cap version of Guerlain Vetiver EDT, but I have the older EDC plus the ribbed bottle. The older EDC is stoic and a bit gritty. But it's very honest. I have to be in the right mood for wearing this more raw, less refined take on vetiver, but it's so nice to appreciate. I actually don't mind the musk component to the ribbed bottle. It's a refreshing alternative on the vetiver theme. That's what I'm starting to discover, that there is no "ultimate vetiver" for me. What's ultimate is having a good handful of vetiver variations to enjoy. But I must eventually pick up a gold cap Guerlain Vetiver. Nice score on that 50ml!

Incidentally, to answer cook.bot's question, I'd say that you might enjoy the ribbed bottle version of Guerlain Vetiver. Keep in mind that it's not a pure vetiver and that there's a bit much going on... but in my book it's quite pleasant and could be wearable by women as well. From my bottle anyway. I would exercise some caution when buying older Guerlain Vetiver, as in my experience it's possible to buy turned examples. I'd be watchful of the fragrance color.
    Last edited by cytherian; 11th June 2017 at 09:20 PM.
    Price Reductions! Click HERE for sales of: YSL KOUROS (vintage), CHANEL Antaeus A/S (vintage), Hermes Equipage, CHANEL Egoiste (vintage), Carven Vetiver, and many others!
    Currently wearing: Woto by Deviline

Always be smelling

I think with this, as with most guerlains, EDC is the way to go. Vintage of course.
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    MegaMav - have you smelled gold cap Eau de Cologne? IMO it's even better than the EdT.
    I have not. I've seen bottles floating around on eBay from time to time but the asking prices are astronomical.

Regarding the Ribbed vs. Gold Cap, I just feel that the ribbed bottle muskiness is much thicker with a sweaty twinge.
    The gold cap is more clear, vibrant with its vetiver IMO. Smells a bit cleaner to me. Depends what you like.
    I'll probably hang into both bottles, but if you have the gold cap and you're expecting the same exact experience with the ribbed bottle, you'll probably be disappointed.
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    3 Latest Videos: Guerlain - L'Homme Ideal Cologne / CoSTUME NATIONAL - 21 / Guerlain - L'Homme Ideal EDT
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store
    Currently wearing: Paradis Perdu by Frapin