Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: Let's talk about Ava Luxe

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    Is there another scent that you would compare Madame X to? I'm dying to know what it smells like and don't think I'm going to get the chance.
    You have to go vintage and I'm thinking of the great Lanvin classics from the 1930s... Rumeur, Scandal, My Sin...

stinkin' to high heaven

............................. ◘ surrounded by squares ◘
    Blog Entries

Had you smelled the original BAKIR? Just wondering how similar the two scents are. (I loved the vintage version!)

Off topic:
    I had original Bakir in the mid 80's. I have a newer version circa 2010-ish. It's the only perfume I use sparingly, as even this version is hard to come by.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    You have to go vintage and I'm thinking of the great Lanvin classics from the 1930s... Rumeur, Scandal, My Sin...
    Wow! I adore vintage Scandal. Sadly, I have never gotten the change to smell Rumeur.

Now more than ever, I wish she would rerelease Madam X!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    Off topic:
    I had original Bakir in the mid 80's. I have a newer version circa 2010-ish. It's the only perfume I use sparingly, as even this version is hard to come by.

I adored this perfume when it first came out. I remember my boyfriend at the time asking me what I was wearing and then being puzzled since he thought I was saying, "Back here." "Back WHERE?" he kept saying.

Basenotes Plus

I adored this perfume when it first came out. I remember my boyfriend at the time asking me what I was wearing and then being puzzled since he thought I was saying, "Back here." "Back WHERE?" he kept saying.
    Lol, that is hilarious! Like a perfume version of "Who's on first?"

I have the Long Lost version of Bakir, and I like it however I cannot opine as to the similarity to the original due to not having any experience.

Regarding Ava Luxe, I am very interested to read the impressions and reviews! Thank you, teardrop, for starting this thread and for sharing your thoughts with us!

I have only tried Amande, and honestly, it was not that great. To my nose, it was very similar to a candle scent (!!!) I found it synthetic and too sweet, the latter of which is nearly impossible for any perfume to achieve, as I love sweeties! Now, this may not be the best assessment, as the tiny bottle I had was obtained here, used and in a perfume lot that had two vintages I wanted... so the thing was used, and possibly not stored well, somewhere along the line. In fact, I do believe the Amande was a freebie given here, and was later sold in that lot, so it may have passed hands a few times before coming to me. Given all of the good reviews, I tend to think something was amiss with the one I had. I would test again, but the bottle tipped over at one point, and it all leaked out before I noticed it. I may just get some samples in the future though! There are enough interesting sounding ones to pique my interest for sure!
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

stinkin' to high heaven

............................. ◘ surrounded by squares ◘
    Blog Entries

~~~ Starblind ~~~ I had Rumeur a long time ago. I can't remember exactly how it smelled. I remember that I liked it.

~~~ cestrum ~~~ The Long Lost Perfume version is damn close, to the original. When my Germaine Monteil (?) version was down to its last drop, I nearly cried. I couldn't find anymore anywhere. This was before the internet. I had originally purchased it, on clearance, at a perfume outlet. This, should have been my clue it was going to disappear. When I found the Long Lost version, I was elated, to say the least.

I only know Amber Essence so far, but only the oil version. To me it pretty much smelled like the amber in Ambre Sultan, without the herbs and spices, but very mild and close to skin (maybe due to the oil base). As I have the reformulated version of Ambre Sultan, I have layered these two scents to get a richer amber. Unfortunetaly it soon began to smell rancid. But as I did not buy it but got it during a swap I don't know how old it was.
    The synthetic perfume materials are supposed to enhance and support the use of natural raw materials, not to replace them, nor in any way to beat them off the market. The synthetic chemicals present a certain challenge to nature, and the perfumer can assist nature in her fight by utilizing the synthetic materials to the advantage of the natural raw materials. (S. Arctander)
    Currently wearing: Snuff by Elsa Schiaparelli

Very interested in this thread, thank you for starting it, Teardrop! I have never smelled anything from Ava Luxe, mainly because I didn't know which perfumes were worth sampling. How were the shipping costs for the samples, if you don't mind me asking? I am still smarting from having to pay $25+ for shipping for 7 Neil Morris samples, so would like to avoid a similar situation!

Basenotes Plus

In case anyone needs it the contact info for Ava Luxe I have is:

www.ava-luxe.com

info@ava-luxe.com

I have a sample of Vamp (in the parfum extrait formulation) that has been lying around forever. Anyone wish to share their experiences with Vamp? (I can't help but think of that techno/rave song "Vamp" by Outlander that I used to play when I DJ'd lol)
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireV View Post
    Very interested in this thread, thank you for starting it, Teardrop! I have never smelled anything from Ava Luxe, mainly because I didn't know which perfumes were worth sampling. How were the shipping costs for the samples, if you don't mind me asking? I am still smarting from having to pay $25+ for shipping for 7 Neil Morris samples, so would like to avoid a similar situation!
    You're welcome Claire, & l'd really love to hear your thoughts on some of these! l paid $24.50 shipping, for 11 samples. They are generous 2.5ml spray samples, though!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Today l'm trying Viva. Notes are listed as ylang, tuberose, black coconut, gardenia, orange blossom, green lily, sandalwood & spice.

My first impression is that this one is very similar to Tuberose Diabolique, with the most prominent notes being tuberose & coconut. There are hints of ylang & spice in the opening phase, & at around the two hour mark a very nice, creamy sandalwood comes into play. Five hours in it's mainly the sandalwood base that remains, turning the fragrance from sweet & tropical to more of a woody oriental, & l am reminded once again of Guerlain's classic tropical-oriental, Mahora.

This one is right up my street, & recommended if, like me, you love both tropical & oriental fragrances.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Love's True Bluish Light today. Notes: white vanilla, white amber, milky notes, musk.

A very nice, natural vanilla, this. Not unlike Tihota, but done with a much lighter hand. To begin with, there are subtle woody, ambery tones here, & at around the three-hour mark it dries down to a smooth, white chocolate-like accord. lt's not piercingly sweet, & l don't really get musk here, unless it's of the white musk variety, but it's not obvious to me. lt's not a heavy gourmand, but it's comforting in a gentle & delicate manner. lf this fragrance were a fabric, it would be the softest, fluffiest towelling robe, rather than a thick, furry blanket, & so it works quite well for this time of year.

Definitely worth a try for vanilla fans!

Blog Entries

Kama today. This one is inspired by Kamadeva, the Hindu God of Love, for whom the Kama Sutra is named. Notes: exotic musks, ambergris, civet, black amber, labdanum, Bulgarian rose absolute.

This opens with tarry woods, underpinned by a dark amber. A few minutes in, the animalic musk & civet begin to show themselves, until one hour in the amber is sweeter, the labdanum is nuttier, & it's a furry, warm blanket of a comfort scent, highly reminiscent of perfumes like L'Ombre Fauve. lt's a little powdery, a little salty, & dirty in a very soft & subtle manner. Five hours in it's still smouldering nicely, & l suspect it'll linger for a good while yet.

lt reminds me a little of Neil Morris's Prowl in the opening phase, & l think that fans of animalic orientals, particularly L'Ombre Fauve, would love this one. Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Kama today. This one is inspired by Kamadeva, the Hindu God of Love, for whom the Kama Sutra is named. Notes: exotic musks, ambergris, civet, black amber, labdanum, Bulgarian rose absolute.

This opens with tarry woods, underpinned by a dark amber. A few minutes in, the animalic musk & civet begin to show themselves, until one hour in the amber is sweeter, the labdanum is nuttier, & it's a furry, warm blanket of a comfort scent, highly reminiscent of perfumes like L'Ombre Fauve. lt's a little powdery, a little salty, & dirty in a very soft & subtle manner. Five hours in it's still smouldering nicely, & l suspect it'll linger for a good while yet.

lt reminds me a little of Neil Morris's Prowl in the opening phase, & l think that fans of animalic orientals, particularly L'Ombre Fauve, would love this one. Very nice!
    Sounds like a must-try for me then, Teardrop - thank you! I forgot to thank you for the information on shipping, etc. Yikes, that is a little pricey, but I suppose worth it if you are doing a really deep exploration of a house, like you're doing. I must work through my Neil Morris samples first, before embarking on any more house-specific explorations....

By the way, have you tried Cuir d'Iris by PG? There are some overlaps with both Arabian Horse and L'Ombre Fauve, I think, with a distinctly "raw full-fat milk" creaminess to it that kind of turns my stomach but also attracts me at the same time. There is definitely that animalic, slightly greasy-sour patch he uses in both Intrigant Patchouli and L'Ombre Fauve.

Blog Entries

Thanks Claire, & you're welcome! Yes, l think you'd enjoy this one.

l have a few more Neil Morrris samples now too, & l will get to them after l've gone through this lot!

l haven't tried Cuir d'lris, but l do like a bit of creaminess, so l may need to investigate.

Blog Entries

Ambre D'Or. Made using Tunisian golden amber, described on the site as having "a thicker consistency, with a slight sweet and smoky almost tobacco like character with incense overtones".

There are certainly hints of tobacco & also woody patchouli here. The amber slowly grows sweeter & more caramelised over the first hour, but never becomes too heavy or dense, even on this warm day. One hour in, l detect a smoky quality, & although l don't really get incense, there is a sense of gently glowing embers giving off the sweetest smoke. Four hours in, this sensation remains, & although it doesn't appear to project far, it does give off nice little wafts when l move.

IMO a good option for anyone looking for a medium-weight amber with just a little complexity.

Really enjoying your reviews, Teardrop! Are any of these samples taking shape as a must-buy for you?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post

Wonderful review/description of Kama! I find it seductive and oddly comforting. My husband thinks it's the stinkiest/mothball-y thing around. There's a sort of dirty cigarette smoke note in there that I actually love (I know that sounds gross, but it's really kind of sophisticated and sexy). It's probably an acquired taste. :-)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireV View Post
    Really enjoying your reviews, Teardrop! Are any of these samples taking shape as a must-buy for you?
    Thanks, Claire! So far, l think Nag Champa is the most likely buy for me, if only for spraying on linens & curtains. l could be happy being surrounded by that smell always.

Wonderful review/description of Kama! I find it seductive and oddly comforting. My husband thinks it's the stinkiest/mothball-y thing around. There's a sort of dirty cigarette smoke note in there that I actually love (I know that sounds gross, but it's really kind of sophisticated and sexy). It's probably an acquired taste. :-)
    Thank you, Starblind! That doesn't sound gross to me at all, & l agree it is both seductive & comforting. lf l didn't already have a bottle of L'Ombre Fauve, l'd be tempted by this one too.

Blog Entries

Opoponax lntense. Notes: hesperides, lndian amber, myrrh, opoponax, frankincense, Siam benzoin, tolu balsam.

l immediately sense the deep, spicy resins here, but in the opening phase these are overlaid with sharply citrussy hesperidic notes, along with a toffee or chocolate-like accord, possibly from the amber/benzoin. For me this combination conjures up the taste of those dark chocolates with lime-flavoured soft centres, a combination which to me is just wrong, & sets my teeth on edge. Thankfully, 30-40 minutes in, this impression fades & it all settles into rich, smoky opoponax & nutty labdanum. Seven hours in there's no further development, but like the others in this line, l feel like it'll last a few hours yet.

After that opening phase, this is a warm & comforting scent that would be most enjoyable on autumn/winter evenings. However, l already own a bottle of Les Nereides' lmperial Opoponax, which l enjoy far more.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, teardrop, and for putting it eloquently why I obviously really did not get along too well either with Opoponax Intense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, teardrop, and for putting it eloquently why I obviously really did not get along too well either with Opoponax Intense.
    Ha, glad it's not just me! Thanks, Larimar.

Blog Entries

Madeline. Notes: Arabian musk, precious woods, vanilla bourbon, amber, fig, licorice, milk notes, brandy, spices.

This opens with a huge burst of spices, predominantly clove, but including hints of nutmeg & ginger. Over the first hour, the licorice note weaves in & out, before the scent becomes thicker, creamier & sweeter. At this point l begin to detect the milky/eggy/custard-like notes that produce the delicious aroma of that classic Yuletide tipple, Advocaat (known to our friends across the pond as eggnog). Those who have difficulty with lactonic notes would probably hate this, but l find it utterly yummy. lt's weird to be smelling of this in the middle of summer, but luckily it's quite cool here today, & l look forward to wearing this again nearer Christmas. l've only had it on for three hours, but l'm sensing that none of the fragrances from this line evolve much beyond this point, & that's ok. They do tend to last all day, though.

The power of bleu

I thought you guys might enjoy this Ava Luxe thread from 10 years ago (!) ...
    Sadly, a lot of the scents are long dc'ed. Participating in this week-long sample fest was a lot of fun and my first experience with Ava Luxe fragrances. I did eventually obtain a bottle of Love's True Bluish Light, which I still have and use. The topnotes are a little off, but otherwise it has held up well. I still consider it one of the most cuddle-y scents ever.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/200...highlight=Luxe

Edit to fix link!
    Last edited by shadesofbleu; 29th June 2017 at 04:15 PM.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Blog Entries

Thanks shades for posting the link! l did read through that thread a while ago, but l'll be interested to re-read it now that l've tried a few of these.

Today l'm trying Royal Parvati. This is named for the Hindu goddess of love & beauty, the wife of Lord Shiva. Notes: cypress leaf, rosewood, Caledonian sandalwood, Parvati sandalwood, cabrueva wood, Peru balsam, orris root, ambergris.

l had to look up cabrueva wood: apparently it's a sweet & floral tree resin, related to Peru & tolu balsams.

lt is immediately apparent that this is a deep, rich & complex wood fragrance. The opening phase is difficult to describe: it's earthy, animalic & bittersweet, somehow both dry & humid, with green facets. lt gives the effect of being in the deep undergrowth of a jungle or rainforest, filled with the scents of damp earth & dry wood. After the first hour, there is much more of the lightly spiced sandalwood found in Tom Ford's Santal Blush. Five hours in there's no sign of it turning sweet or creamy; it remains rich, deep & woody, & very firmly unisex.

l don't remember ever smelling pure sandalwood oil, but l feel like this is the closest thing to it that l've come across in a fragrance. ln a word, it is awesome. l can't recommend it highly enough to you sandalwood lovers out there!

l have one more from my list to try next week, & another surprise sample to finish up this round of sampling. l'll keep you guessing until then as to what it might be!

Basenotes Plus

I didn't know that Royal Parvati was sandalwood prominent. Interesting. Have you smelled 23? I have not.

Glad you liked Madeline. I sort of thought you would.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I didn't know that Royal Parvati was sandalwood prominent. Interesting. Have you smelled 23? I have not.

Glad you liked Madeline. I sort of thought you would.
    Thanks, mike! No l haven't tried No. 23, it was on my try list but it seems to be no longer available.

Basenotes Plus

I think indie perfumers can sometimes have magnificent sandalwood scents because they're more likely to have access to real Mysore (like Ryan does with Madhat or they do at places like IUNX, etc).

I never smelled 23 either but I've heard it's very sandalwood prominent.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Really enjoying your reviews, teardrop! Opoponax Intense sounds different from when I tried it; I suppose it's been tweaked. I don't recall any citrus but I had my sample some years ago. At that time, it smelled very much like the cabinet where my dad used to store his pipes and tobacco. Brought back lovely memories but that's precisely why it was something I didn't want to wear. That smell belongs to dad. I think I'd like to smell this one again-your description sounds awfully good, teardrop!

Madeline sounds like something I need! This one really sounds interesting.

I ordered my Vanille Jolie! This one sounds like an easy, fluffy, pretty thing and I can't wait for it to arrive. I'm still working on a list of samples so I didn't include any extras this time. I definitely want to try Madeline, Royal Parvati and Nag Champa (I agree, just a good smell, even if not worn on the body) from this thread. I'm thinking I need a sample of her Amande, too. Still reading up on a few others. So many new additions to the line since I last ordered!

Another change I noticed while ordering is that Serena Ava Franco is now Serena Ava Goode. Seems there has been some happy news in this perfumer's life!

Blog Entries

Thanks PerfumedLady, really looking forward to reading your impressions!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast