Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dating what I believe to be a very old bottle of Chanel Antaeus

First I'm so sorry for the fact that the pictures are sideways, mods, if you read this, and have the capability, feel free to do what you do. This web forum has to have the most frustrating picture upload option (sorry guys, still love you, just have problem with the pictures lol).

Anyways I hope I have this in the right thread as I don't suspect this to be fake, I'm more wondering re the date. My question is, is there a time when Chanel didn't put the batch code on the box or the bottle? Through "raiders of the lost scents" I've dated this bottle as pre 1990 (no bar code) but the fact there is no batch code confuses me. Again I don't think it's fake. It came celephane wrapped, smells amazing, came from a very reputable eBay seller in Russia (I know, Russia lol) but the guy seems to only sell vintage cologne and has almost 600 positive feedbacks and no negatives, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if some of you on here have purchased from him, Roman5467. And honestly it just looks legit, no concerns at all, except the missing batch code.

Also something I've never seen is the "ANTAEUS pour homme" and the "eau de toilette CHANEL paris" being on the same label as opposed to the "ANTAEUS" being near the middle and the "CHANEL" being at the bottom, as every other bottle I've ever seen is.

Anyways help me out my fellow basenoters, what exactly do I have here!

IMG_3968.jpgIMG_3966.jpgIMG_3967.jpg
    Canadians, please visit my splits page linked below for CREED splits, shipped from Canada so no exchange rate, no duty at the border and no international shipping rates!! Prices in Canadian Dollars!! Now have Aventus 17N01 ready to be split!!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/427...e-rate-no-duty!!

Default Re: Dating what I believe to be a very old bottle of Chanel Antaeus

I'm hoping Bavard chimes in on this thread because he's not only extremely knowledgeable, he's also an Anateus enthusiast.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Lyric Man by Amouage

Memory fails, but with the older bottles with EDT before "Chanel," I am not sure I have seen only Paris listed, as opposed to Paris and NY. That said, while conventional wisdom is that EDT above Chanel is a hallmark of the 80s and 90s, I have seen print ads from the late 80s without this indicator. While it is reasonable clear that sometime around the turn of the century is a critical benchmark for Antaeus quality, I am always highly skeptical that reformulations directly coincide with packaging changes.

Sans compter son âge quel trésor!
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics
    Currently wearing: 1818 by Brooks Brothers

Okay thanks for the information. It's a curious bottle / packaging. It smells delightful, I'm quite happy with it, just curious as to how old it might be.
    Canadians, please visit my splits page linked below for CREED splits, shipped from Canada so no exchange rate, no duty at the border and no international shipping rates!! Prices in Canadian Dollars!! Now have Aventus 17N01 ready to be split!!

Glad you enjoy it. With the caveats above, my best would be '90s, which is likely ideal.

In my own opinion, I got your bottle being dated from 1997-2001, non U.S manufactured vintage. Congrats on this Gem. Bet it smells fantastic.
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa Carbon by Prada

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Back when fragrance was fragrance per se
    And was labeled quite clearly that way
    Didn't know all twas there
    Just that growing some hair
    Could be done with a single good spray.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Congrats on landing that gem!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I'm curious how Jowan puts it as late as 1997 to 2001. I have a bottle like that with the sticker label. My guess would be 1994 at the latest, and more likely early 1980s.

Does it have the paper insert? When I've tried to compare the different bottles I have, my nose gets confused fairly quickly, but I've had the impression that the sticker label bottle is a few percentage points more animalic and intense.

Some early Egoiste bottles I've seen for sale have sticker labels, which indicates that sticker labels were in use by Chanel as late as the early 90s.

There was a juicy conspiracy theory from one poster that sticker label bottles were the work of an ingenious counterfeiter(s) who made perfect, near perfect, or even better copies of Chanel perfumes.

When bottles mention New York, it seems to indicate they were made in the US. Bottles made in France seemingly only mention Paris.

DSC_0457.jpg
    Last edited by Bavard; 13th June 2017 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I'm curious how Jowan puts it as late as 1997 to 2001. I have a bottle like that with the sticker label. My guess would be 1994 at the latest, and more likely early 1980s.

Does it have the paper insert? When I've tried to compare the different bottles I have, my nose gets confused fairly quickly, but I've had the impression that the sticker label bottle is a few percentage points more animalic and intense.
    I'm glad you chimed in Bavard. That's just my guestimation. I saw a bottle and box identical to that during my Navy days when we were overseas. My leading officer wore this fragrance, and it set on his desk. He got it when we were on our Pacific cruise. It could easily be that it was already aging and this was in 2001. It's the only time I've seen the box like that.

Yes it has a paper insert which opens up and describes, in about six different languages, different products which are available. And yes it's a sticker label. Appears to be the same as your second bottle in on the top left. I'm not the person to be describing what I smell but it starts quit strong, almost a leather vibe, and yes animalistic, kind of like Tom Ford's London in a way. It dries down to something sweeter, almost like honeycomb. I'm very much enjoying it and I will treasure it always lol.
    Last edited by Burke58; 13th June 2017 at 12:53 AM.

I thought 80s generally didn't have the volume on the front of the box.
    Didn't know about the sticker theory....

Quote Originally Posted by schnozz View Post
    Didn't know about the sticker theory....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/421...95#post3845995

Quote Originally Posted by Burke58 View Post
    Yes it has a paper insert which opens up and describes, in about six different languages, different products which are available. And yes it's a sticker label. Appears to be the same as your second bottle in on the top left. I'm not the person to be describing what I smell but it starts quite strong, almost a leather vibe, and yes animalistic, kind of like Tom Ford's London in a way. It dries down to something sweeter, almost like honeycomb. I'm very much enjoying it and I will treasure it always lol.
    Solid smelling notes from someone not to be describing what he smells.
    Last edited by Bavard; 13th June 2017 at 02:01 AM.

Unfortunately I have read the sticker and etched lot# almanac for Chanel and all.it did was make me enjoy my Chanel products and try my best to get a concrete year if I'm vintage hunting. It confused me to the point of no return. Thanks to all for the input. My guess was 75% belief, and 25%luck.

Rogue Perfumery
    Blog Entries

I'm noticing the "ingredients" listed: Alcohol, Water, Fragrance. Nothing more.
    Was it not in the latter part of the 90's that fragrances began listing 'possible allergens' a little more extensively?
    Non-IFRA-Compliant Fragrance Art: https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoguePerfumery
    New Tuberose Fragrance! Read about it here:
    https://rogueperfumery.com

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/421...95#post3845995

Solid smelling notes from someone not to be describing what he smells.
    Thanks Bavard, my nose is in training I suppose you could say, so thanks for the positive feedback!

Great find. I vote for early 1980s.

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    Great find. I vote for early 1980s.
    yes my guess as well. I've had a bunch of very decent offers for it so trying to decide if I want to sell it or treasure it. Thank you for the help,

Some early Egoiste bottles I've seen for sale have sticker labels, which indicates that sticker labels were in use by Chanel as late as the early 90s.

There was a juicy conspiracy theory from one poster that sticker label bottles were the work of an ingenious counterfeiter(s) who made perfect, near perfect, or even better copies of Chanel perfumes.

When bottles mention New York, it seems to indicate they were made in the US. Bottles made in France seemingly only mention Paris.

DSC_0457.jpg
    I have the same bottles. The Sport Colognes mention New York and Paris while the regular Antaeus only mentions Paris.
    Currently wearing: Antico Caruso by Profumum

Quote Originally Posted by Clueless_fragrance View Post
    Hi all. I'm wondering if anyone can help date this bottle I just picked up. Appears to me to be before 90 due to the box but any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Approximately 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    I'm noticing the "ingredients" listed: Alcohol, Water, Fragrance. Nothing more.
    Was it not in the latter part of the 90's that fragrances began listing 'possible allergens' a little more extensively?
    ROLS does say this but I’m looking at a sealed bottle right now that does not appear to have the bar code or green dot (waiting on confirmation) but does have the short list of ingredients. Bavard, or someone else who can, can you confirm that the short list of ingredients did not appear until the late 90’s? If so, and this box does not have the UPC or green dot, then I’m not sure what to make of it. Does anyone know for sure when Eau de Toilette moved below Chanel on the box? Thanks!!
    Currently wearing: Diaghilev by Roja Dove

DSC_0457.jpg
    I have the bottle in the top right corner "Paris/New York". When was that produced?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wildrnesxperienc View Post
    ROLS does say this but I’m looking at a sealed bottle right now that does not appear to have the bar code or green dot (waiting on confirmation) but does have the short list of ingredients. Bavard, or someone else who can, can you confirm that the short list of ingredients did not appear until the late 90’s? If so, and this box does not have the UPC or green dot, then I’m not sure what to make of it. Does anyone know for sure when Eau de Toilette moved below Chanel on the box? Thanks!!
    I think the switch may have happened gradually, around 1995 to 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by allkindsofwatches1 View Post
    I have the bottle in the top right corner "Paris/New York". When was that produced?
    That one has "Eau de Toilette" on the back. I think those are from the '80s.

That one has "Eau de Toilette" on the back. I think those are from the '80s.
    Great! Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think the switch may have happened gradually, around 1995 to 1997.
    Are you talking about when the short list of ingredients appeared or when Eau de Toilette moved below Chanel? Thank you!
    Currently wearing: Diaghilev by Roja Dove

Are you talking about when the short list of ingredients appeared or when Eau de Toilette moved below Chanel? Thank you!
    When "Eau de Toilette" moved.

Freed from BN Institution

According to Raiders of the Lost Scent. The short list of ingredients began appearing in 1998

http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...-perfumes.html
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel