Code of Conduct

Default Do you show off your vintage collection? Do you find others are interested?

I was curious about whether those who proudly talking about and/or display their vintage bottles have been able to get others interested in the hobby. I have not gotten anyone especially interested, though I have certainly provided details about it, such as mentioning BN and Fragrantica, talking about ebay prices, pointing out how much more "chemical" today's scents are, etc.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Do you show off your vintage collection? Do you find others are interested?

The only one who has taken a keen interest in my collection, vintage and non-vintage is one of my grandsons who will be the recipient of it all soon.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: Do you show off your vintage collection? Do you find others are interested?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    The only one who has taken a keen interest in my collection, vintage and non-vintage is one of my grandsons who will be the recipient of it all soon.
    Why "soon"?
    Basenotes sales: 18.21 Sweet Tobacco, Tiffany for Men Concentree, TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Pomelo Paradis & Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris fragrances, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Missing Oakmoss

I don't talk about my collection outside of Basenotes or with online sellers I value...even so, I doubt that ours is a preoccupation that is communicable. Friends who have seen my bottles look bemused, at best!

Owning a comparatively moderate sized collection anyway and all fragrances, both vintage and non-vintage being "lumped together" in a few common storage spaces, with no other organizing criteria than randomness and perhaps the time of purchase.

Have thus neither thought of any more organized, more distinct, more professional etc. mode of display yet.

Also very few people outside of BN know about this collection of recent releases, with a few vintages interspersed, in the first place.

On the other hand, while not exactly showing them off nor even displaying them very visibly, if someone, especially if interested in fragrances but pretty much anyone who saw them and asked me questions about it would like to know more, would have no problem not just with discussing but actually showing them as well.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 17th June 2017 at 01:00 PM.
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

I would love to, but in many many years only one person was mildly interested.

Blog Entries

My vintage gets the coldest and darkest spot in the refrigerator! Least likely to be seen!
    Currently wearing: Roadster by Cartier

Basenotes Plus

Most people in my life are more interested in avoiding perfume than talking about it. Most are mildly amused (as am I) that I am even interested in it. But I am lucky in that my husband supports my habit, and my sister-in-law spent an entire day taking me shopping in my search for vintages.

My collection is mostly stored in the basement where it's cool and dark, so few people ever see it.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    I don't talk about my collection outside of Basenotes or with online sellers I value...even so, I doubt that ours is a preoccupation that is communicable. Friends who have seen my bottles look bemused, at best!
    My situation precisely. Sometimes I think it would be nice to have a comrade IRL to share this with, but I guess there are already enough enablers on Basenotes... except that we can't actually smell each other!

And hednic, you should address that "soon" comment before people start to get alarmed!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mmmmmmm, soapy tarry fatty medicated meat strips. Glorious.
    --FruitDiet on Peau d'Espagne

My lovely ladyfriend 'adopted' my passion, both new and vintage. She's really interested. I did the same with her knack on chairs and mid century modern furniture. Some of my co-workers started wearing multiple fragrances because of my habit bringing scents to work from time to time. But I don't display my scents and keep them boxed.

My husband and son will listen to me wax rhapsodic about vintage perfume for a short while, and then I know its time to change the subject. :-)

Every once in a while one of the women at work will say that I smell nice and ask what I am wearing. Then when I start to tell them about some obscure non commercial fragrance with a weird name and manufacturer they get this deer in the headlights look. I then know its time to slowly stop talking and back away. He He He. Very few people are interested even in the least little bit except on this website.

Rick
    " I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Hednic, hopefuly not too soon Drink that red wine my friend!

In terms of my collection, it basically stays under wraps. The bulk of my collection is kept in my basement, where it's cool, dark and dry (dehumidifiers). All there is to look at are the decants that I have in my dresser, unless we head into my basement. One of my nephews seems curious, but I don't know that I'd call it a bonafied interest. I'm thinking he'll really come around when he has his first dance and is looking for a fragrance to wear

All of my family and nearly all of my friends have ZERO interest in the hobby with the exception of two female friends, so bottle display with the intent to share doesn't make a lot of sense. Most of my friends just chalk this hobby up to me continuing to walk to the beat of a different drummer
    Last edited by checkmate; 20th June 2017 at 10:59 AM.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

Don't you dare be soon. I jolly well hope that was a glib slip of speech.

I don't show off my collection as such. It stays behind closed doors for only those who express an interest. Then whoomph.
    Currently wearing: Yendi by Roberto Capucci

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I was curious about whether those who proudly talking about and/or display their vintage bottles have been able to get others interested in the hobby. I have not gotten anyone especially interested, though I have certainly provided details about it, such as mentioning BN and Fragrantica, talking about ebay prices, pointing out how much more "chemical" today's scents are, etc.
    I'm not necessarily trying to get others interested in the hobby of enjoying vintage fragrances, although I would probably love it if they did. To date, no one has expressed the slightest interest in taking it up. I first mention that I'm especially interested in perfume, but that I usually only buy used perfume, mostly on eBay, and preferably from the 1980s or earlier. This is about as much information as they can handle, and we change the subject.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Minister of Misfits

The only ones who know my love of fragrance, besides my husband, are all of you.
    No matter where you go, there you are.

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I'm not necessarily trying to get others interested in the hobby of enjoying vintage fragrances, although I would probably love it if they did. To date, no one has expressed the slightest interest in taking it up. I first mention that I'm especially interested in perfume, but that I usually only buy used perfume, mostly on eBay, and preferably from the 1980s or earlier. This is about as much information as they can handle, and we change the subject.
    Ha same here.
    "You buy used perfumes!!!"
    I want to say "and you should too" but I just smile and wave.
    Lower demand for vintages is good for us

Last edited by epapsiou; 20th June 2017 at 01:10 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by DOCPSYCHO View Post
    they get this deer in the headlights look. I then know its time to slowly stop talking and back away.
    I know that look very well. What got me to actually stop bringing it up was when THEY started backing away from ME.

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Ha same here.
    "You buy used perfumes!!!"
    Yeah, I quickly learned to not admit to that, too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mmmmmmm, soapy tarry fatty medicated meat strips. Glorious.
    --FruitDiet on Peau d'Espagne

Quote Originally Posted by DOCPSYCHO View Post
    Every once in a while one of the women at work will say that I smell nice and ask what I am wearing. Then when I start to tell them about some obscure non commercial fragrance with a weird name and manufacturer they get this deer in the headlights look. I then know its time to slowly stop talking and back away. He He He. Very few people are interested even in the least little bit except on this website.

Rick
    haha.

Only a handful of people know about my collection. A few know I'm into the hobby but they don't know how deep I'm getting in to it right now.

Those few got some of my bottles as gifts for their birthdays (vintages of Chanel no5, Shalimar edc, Aramis, Pierre Cardin PM, and newer bottles like Clean Shower Fresh, Love and Luck, Taxi and Giorgio Beverly Hills) the ones I have barely used in the rotation.
    LOWBROW TO THE CORE
    Currently wearing: La Nuit by Paco Rabanne

No, I'm never proud of showing these old bottles. I don't do that. My secret pride comes from the way they smell.