Code of Conduct

Default Finally tried latest generation Egoiste

I must say I am impressed - enough that I bought a bottle. Now I am not comparing this to the vintage form. I am comparing it to a bottle I've previously owned which I'm guessing is from somewhere around 2010.

This current formulation is BETTTER than the last one. It has smoothened out the dated aspects of the scent while retaining the good stuff and the essence of Egoiste. Is it vintage quality? Probably not. But is it better than the previous and worth having? Definitely. Still packs a good sillage and smells great. I highly recommend.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Finally tried latest generation Egoiste

Well that's very good to hear.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I like the version I bought last year a lot more than the version I had in 2011 as well. I never considered exactly why, but your claim that they "smoothened out the dated aspects of the scent while retaining the good stuff and essence of Egoiste" seems to make sense to me.

Basenotes Junkie Still-Life With Red Rob's Avatar
    (Outside)Portland, Oregon, on the Mighty Columbia, rolling on to the ocean...
    Blog Entries

I've read others say this about Égoïste, that the current is preferable to stuff a few years old. I'm glad I have a recent bottle, then.

The current is more of a mass market appeal fragrance now with the interested bits voted off the island for a more pleasant ride for the amateur nose.
    Definitely thinner, more ambery than the vintage from the early 90s. "Can be worn in summer" should be all you need to know about how its changed.
    The reform in the tall bottle was still pretty good with an inferior sandalwood compared to the original.
    Still prefer both tall bottles over the newest, but im a bit of a purist on sandalwood, not so much of an amber fan.
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    3 Latest Videos: Guerlain - L'Homme Ideal Cologne / CoSTUME NATIONAL - 21 / Guerlain - L'Homme Ideal EDT
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    The current is more of a mass market appeal fragrance now with the interested bits voted off the island for a more pleasant ride for the amateur nose.
    Definitely thinner, more ambery than the vintage from the early 90s. "Can be worn in summer" should be all you need to know about how its changed.
    The reform in the tall bottle was still pretty good with an inferior sandalwood compared to the original.
    Still prefer both tall bottles over the newest, but im a bit of a purist on sandalwood, not so much of an amber fan.
    Even non-amateur noses enjoy the latest stuff, too. The original formulation certainly isn't a challenging wear. I mean, in the 90's someone would smell it on you and say "damn that's great" not "what the hell are you wearing?". The idea that it was unwearable in the Summer is an interesting one.

Great fragrance indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Still-Life With Red Rob View Post
    Even non-amateur noses enjoy the latest stuff, too. The original formulation certainly isn't a challenging wear. I mean, in the 90's someone would smell it on you and say "damn that's great" not "what the hell are you wearing?". The idea that it was unwearable in the Summer is an interesting one.
    Im not saying the new stuff is bad, I just have a preference.
    I have it on my hand right now, I went to spray after my last post.
    It seems less complex to me, I cant find the dewy rose easy and there is a rough spiciness (not tobacco) but its not something that makes me think of cinnamon like the old stuff.
    Its not ruined, but its also not restored like others have said. Its more creamy and a bit fizzy.
    IMO its moved closer to Edition Blanche than it has the vintage Egoiste.
    I couldnt wear the vintage in summer, too deep, bigger, rich.
    The newer one is thinner and doesnt project nearly as much. Making it more wearable in warmer temps.
    More mass market for easy digestion. Money makes the world go 'round. Inertia, eat your heart out.
    3 Latest Videos: Guerlain - L'Homme Ideal Cologne / CoSTUME NATIONAL - 21 / Guerlain - L'Homme Ideal EDT

Blog Entries

Im not saying the new stuff is bad, I just have a preference.
    I have it on my hand right now, I went to spray after my last post.
    It seems less complex to me, I cant find the dewy rose easy and there is a rough spiciness (not tobacco) but its not something that makes me think of cinnamon like the old stuff.
    Its not ruined, but its also not restored like others have said. Its more creamy and a bit fizzy.
    IMO its moved closer to Edition Blanche than it has the vintage Egoiste.
    I couldnt wear the vintage in summer, too deep, bigger, rich.
    The newer one is thinner and doesnt project nearly as much. Making it more wearable in warmer temps.
    More mass market for easy digestion. Money makes the world go 'round. Inertia, eat your heart out.
    Yeah, and modern aesthetics don't want the powerhouse frags. The cinnamon is one of my favorite features to it, along with that creaminess you mention, that seems tied up with the "sandalwood" note. I gave my son several decants of my faves when he mentioned he wanted some cologne. I never caught him wearing any of it EXCEPT the Égoïste, and it was so nice to smell it someone else. "Man! That smells so good and it really makes a guy smell unique" I told him. That was my initial reaction when I got in his car and smelled it in all that enclosed glory. It may have a mass market appeal, Mav, but it still, for me, in the current formulation, is unique enough in terms of craftsmanship and quality of ingredients taht I thought my son smelled too good to just hang out with the Sauvage and Aqua di Gio wearers in his crew. "I've got a date", he smiled. "Yeah, you do now!" I responded.

It may have a mass market appeal, Mav, but it still, for me, in the current formulation, is unique enough in terms of craftsmanship and quality of ingredients taht I thought my son smelled too good to just hang out with the Sauvage and Aqua di Gio wearers in his crew. "I've got a date", he smiled. "Yeah, you do now!" I responded.
    Like I said, im not saying its bad! I just dont think its restored like others have claimed.
    Still one of the best on the current market, but the bar is awfully low right now.
    You're a good father for introducing your son to fragrances worth wearing and enjoying. Now he knows better. Happy Father's Day.

Like I said, im not saying its bad! I just dont think its restored like others have claimed.
    No one made the claim of restoration to vintage quality, just being better than other recent iterations. But then again, maybe everyone else here is an amateur.

Currently wearing: Cologne du 68 by Guerlain

I love the "old" stuff, and the stuff from about 3 years ago too. Glad to hear that it's still pretty good regardless. I won't be needing more anytime soon, but just in case...
    Current Spring Favorites:
    1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men
    5. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    6. Ermenegildo Zegna - Haitian Vetiver
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    9. Creed - Green Valley
    10. Parfumerie Generale - Grand Siecle Intense 7.1

I think exactly the same. My 2011 bottle performs much better than that of 2014 and the recent one I tried in store. It's 'edgier', though, and there's a bit of a Jicky'ness, if you know what I mean.

Blog Entries

Well, "vintage", in my opinion, can be a unicorn that's often dreamed of but never realized; sometimes the reformulations...or the forced formula alterations...are as good as it's gonna get. I've chased after the vintage Fahrenheit, for example, and got burned, but I bought a recent formulation and found it...OK. I mean it's a good frag, and still has that metallic/petroly Iris thing at the top, but is it even a reference of the original? Barely. So I can appreciate how those who love the original simply cannot find the same degree of satisfaction with the current Égoïste.

I have Egoiste from 2010, and i find it stronger and fuller than the newest formulation. It's also more heavy in overall smell than the newest.

[QUOTE=Still-Life With Red Rob;4142641The original formulation certainly isn't a challenging wear. I mean, in the 90's someone would smell it on you and say "damn that's great" not "what the hell are you wearing?". The idea that it was unwearable in the Summer is an interesting one.[/QUOTE]

I beg to differ - sorry. It certainly wasn't challenging back in the day (I wore it when it first appeared) but for those schooled on the aquatics or gourmands that came later, there are aspects of the vintage that might prove difficult. I'm thinking of the musky, slightly sweaty ambrette that still surprises me in the drydown.

Guys I have a bottle from 2012. Please educate me. Is it considered as a current version? Or is it different? I personally like it but I cannot test it against neither a vintage nor the latest as Egoiste is not avalable in Australian stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Guys I have a bottle from 2012. Please educate me. Is it considered as a current version? Or is it different? I personally like it but I cannot test it against neither a vintage nor the latest as Egoiste is not avalable in Australian stores.
    It's not vintage, but it's not the much-praised current version either. The consensus seems to be that the formulation was improved a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by jabar View Post
    No one made the claim of restoration to vintage quality, just being better than other recent iterations.
    I wouldnt say "no one" did.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrè Moreau View Post
    I sampled a Chanel "Egoiste" bottle (NOT "Egoiste Platinum" !) , produced in early 2015.
    ...and I was stunned about how good it smelled.
    Very rich topnotes, very persistent basenotes, and above all, a really warm and cozy sandalwood note.

Let's say it honestly: in this case I can't talk about the "superiority" of vintage perfumes.

Back at home, I tried my Egoiste bottles -at least 20 years older- and I couldn't find so many differences.
    I disagree with him on this one,

I've been meaning to do a side by side with this one. I still have a full bottle from 1998, and it is a fragrance I know quite intimately. It was my signature frag up through '93 (no one in high school was wearing this).

I have a day off today. I'll head over to a Chanel counter and sample the current formulation.
    Currently wearing: Derby by Guerlain

Always be smelling

Still one of the best on the current market, but the bar is awfully low right now.
    You're a good father for introducing your son to fragrances worth wearing and enjoying. Now he knows better. Happy Father's Day.
    Well, "vintage", in my opinion, can be a unicorn that's often dreamed of but never realized; sometimes the reformulations...or the forced formula alterations...are as good as it's gonna get. I've chased after the vintage Fahrenheit, for example, and got burned, but I bought a recent formulation and found it...OK. I mean it's a good frag, and still has that metallic/petroly Iris thing at the top, but is it even a reference of the original? Barely. So I can appreciate how those who love the original simply cannot find the same degree of satisfaction with the current Égoïste.
    I have been on both sides of the argument on vintages.
    I have come to realize that generally if you have grown up with a vintage it is hard to get accustomed to new formulation even if differences are minute.
    Also differences are very subjective - depends on sensitivity and like of a nose to a particular note(s).
    I agree with Mega that current Egoiste is not as dense. It is as if current is an EDT/EDC while vintage its EDP.
    I agree with Red Rob that current EDT is more wearable and a great frag. I think it is good enough that one does not need to hunt for vintage version.
    And I agree with Red Rob about Fahrenheit too. It is great in current iteration and almost as good as vintage (many of my friends here disagree).
    I think the reason is that I did not grow up with these fragrances, my exposure is very recent and they have been reformed well. I tried the current formulation and then the vintage and found not much difference.
    But there are frags where I just can't stand reformulations - Paco Rabanne PH, Antaeus, Mitsouku and many more.

I bought a bottle direct from the Chanel website back in January. I was thoroughly impressed with the current formulation that's out. The current formula wears more true to its Eau de Toilette concentration while the older vintages seem to wear like a Parfum. Personally, I do enjoy the fact that what's out no jumps a bit more off the skin even though you sacrifice a little bit of longevity. Hats off to Chanel for not totally botching this.
    MadHat Scents

Brineapple (Pineapple, Guava, Ylang Ylang, Marine Notes, Green Tea, Cade, Guaiacwood, Cedar Wood, Ozone) / Fur - ONLY 60ML REMAINING - (Vintage Musks, Woods, Leather) / Onsen Wood (Hinoki/Hiba/Cedar/Yuzu) / Vert Moss (Oakmoss Absolute, Cologne, Vetiver, Incense, Cedar) / L.O.M. Leather Oud Musk (Leather, Oud, Musk, Beeswax, Tobacco, Strawberry, Incense & Amber)

I like the fact that this was released almost 30 years ago and it still smells modern and doesnt smell dated at all. The same goes for Fahrenheit. Truly timeless.

Ok, just got back home from the Chanel counter. The SA gave me a generous 2ml atomizer sample. I'm testing on a strip alongside a spritz from my 1998 bottle.
    Right off I can say there is indeed a difference.

New formulation seems "thinner", a bit disjointed -I can smell a separation between notes which actually makes it easy for me to pinpoint what is making the difference:

1. Reduced eugenol and isoeugenol. Likely replaced with a material like methyl diantilis. The gap is either being filled with extra cinnamaldehyde, or the lack of isoeugenol just makes it stand out as a "red hots" note. Isoeugenol is spicy, woody, peppery and dry.

2. Coumarin has been mostly replaced with a coumarin replacer such as coumarex, which has an off note that I find easy to recognize; something like gamma hexalactone which has a bitter, grassy coconut note that I do not like

3. The citrus top note has been reworked, probably to accommodate the resticted use of citral. I notice a good deal of hedione throughout the fragrance to either help boost the citrus notes or is just more apparent due to the disconnected nature of the reformulation. Plus the linalool seems less present.

4. The sandalwood note reminds me of sandaxol in BOTH formulations. However it's very cohesive in the '98 formula whereas it's one of the first notes that stood out to me with the new juice.

Overall, the new formula is VERY MUCH like the original. The recognizable "Egoiste accord" is still there and I still consider the new juice to be a very classy frag.
    Had I not ever been so acquainted with the original, I'd probably not have been so discerning.
    Given the heavy restrictions on major components such as coumarin, isoeugenol, eugenol and citral, Chanel has done a great job at keeping this gem alive.
    Currently wearing: Derby by Guerlain

Thank you Manuel for that detailed assessment. Enjoyable to read and learn from posts like this.

Blog Entries

I certainly can't see me preferring the vintage if it had Eugenol

Thanks, Manuel. That was a really informative read. Thoroughly worth reading.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Thank you for sharing these impressions with us- always liked Egoiste in any formulation (personally smelled, assuming that there are multiple batches, versions etc.)

I'm very sceptical about post-2000 reformulations, but this thread made me curious.