Code of Conduct

Thread: Derby question

Default Derby question

How does current Derby measure up to vintage?
    Thank you

don't deceive with belief

Default Re: Derby question

I have recently tried it at Neiman, and it is similar to my vintage based on a paper strip test. However, I did not fully explore the dry down, but the first half is comparable, with perhaps a little less pronounced leathery chypre accord (the similar accord in Azuree and Bandit). I would choose a vintage in good condition over the current at the same price, but wouldn't be willing to pay too much of a premium. All I can say is it is not drastically reformulated in how it smells like over the first 0-2 hours or so.
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

I started out with samples of the current and vintage. I could tell they were the same overall fragrance, but I personally liked the current version more. It just smelled fresher, and of course, that's because it is!

I don't know if the vintage might have been missing some top notes. That's very possible. But overall, the vintage smelled a bit dated. I've never regretted my decision.
    Basenotes sales: 18.21SweetTobacco, TiffanyforMenConcen, de Bachmakov, Atelier PomeloParadis & VetiverFatal, St James of London, TiffanyforMen mini, 17 CubaParis frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, ReyaneInsurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

I have a 1985 'Eagle' bottle in good condition and I wear it every now and again, usually on special occasions. I'd never smelled the current version until the end of last year and always wondered how they compared. When I finally sampled the current version I was surprised to find they both smell very much the same. The new was instantly recognisable to my nose and I feel that any subtle differences are probably just due to age. The original is 32 years old after all...!

I have one from a few years ago and it reminds me of vintage Fendi Uomo, at least at one point in its development. I haven't tried vintage Derby.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    I started out with samples of the current and vintage. I could tell they were the same overall fragrance, but I personally liked the current version more. It just smelled fresher, and of course, that's because it is!

I don't know if the vintage might have been missing some top notes. That's very possible. But overall, the vintage smelled a bit dated. I've never regretted my decision.
    This sometimes happens. I have a few vintage frags that their top notes are dulled down or gone. They smell like the dry-down right out of the bottle. As for Derby, They reformulated to replace the large amount of oakmoss, so it doesn't have that natural note that it did in the 80s.

Edit: I see that the new Derby also has Oakmoss listed, so if they reformulated b/c of the oakmoss, they didn't replace it only used less.
    Last edited by Possum-Pie; 24th June 2017 at 11:23 AM.
    [SIZE=]See my Sale thread for partial bottles/samples Zoology, Penhaligon, Montale, marc de la morandiere, many others! [/SIZE]
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    When I finally sampled the current version I was surprised to find they both smell very much the same.
    Pretty much my experience also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Seconding what others said. Still good. Now, if the new bottle wasn't so ugly...

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Seconding what others said. Still good. Now, if the new bottle wasn't so ugly...

cacio
    Agree on the bottle...
    I love my sample, good to know I wouldn't miss too much

Thank you fellas!

don't deceive with belief

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Now, if the new bottle wasn't so ugly...

cacio
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevenol View Post
    Agree on the bottle...

+1 ......
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

For those who say the newer is alike the older in the first two hours, I confess I'm not acquainted with the current Derby, but I know well the original from the 1980s, and I suspect the main differences are probably very noticeable after the third hour or so. That oakmoss is irreplaceable.

Edit: folks, I've been out for a while and just noticed that now there is a different forum for vintage lovers. Sorry for the annoyance, I know this oakmoss talk may be annoying when searching the virtues of current stuff.
    Last edited by smeller; 24th June 2017 at 02:30 AM. Reason: didn't see the "new" vintage forum

I have the current version (2015) and it has both oakmoss and treemoss listed in ingredients list. It's very powerfull and strong, especially in the start, it has very good longevity. I use it mainly in colder weather, because it can become very heavy.