Code of Conduct

Default Drakkar Vs Giorgio

Hello, which one would be your choice : Drakkar Noir or Giorgio B.Hills for men, both current formulations?
    Which one would be the more "quality" fragrance, smelling more expensive and has better sillage and longevity?
    Thnx

Default Re: Drakkar Vs Giorgio

I would go for Giorgio

I'd go with Drakkar, although I like Giorgio, as well
    Currently wearing: Dunhill Icon by Dunhill

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Easy win for Giorgio IMHO

Current formulation: Drakkar
    Vintage formulation: Giorgio

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Drakkar Noir for me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

If you're looking for richer with more opulence: Giorgio
    If you're looking for fresher with more versatility: Drakkar
    If you're trying to decide which to buy between the two, I'd say be a big shot and get both.
    Currently wearing: Derby by Guerlain

Tough because they're so different... I'd say Drakkar because it's more versatile.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

Default Drakkar Vs Giorgio

I've never been a fan of Drakkar Noir, old or current. Not my thing.

So it's not a fair fight for me.

I own and love GBH. I've got a version that was straight after the Elizabeth Arden reissue, but I understand it's been tinkered with further since then.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Freschi View Post
    Current formulation: Drakkar
    Vintage formulation: Giorgio
    This, although instead of Drakkar Noir in its current formulation, I suggest also sniffing Caesars Man which is similar smelling and less expensive. If we were talking original formulations it would be Giorgio for Men by miles... (though I love DN too).
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie
    Currently wearing: Rose Cut by Ann Gerard

Drakkar

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    This, although instead of Drakkar Noir in its current formulation, I suggest also sniffing Caesars Man which is similar smelling and less expensive. If we were talking original formulations it would be Giorgio for Men by miles... (though I love DN too).
    +1 for sure

Another in the Drakkar-family to consider is Duc de Vervins by Houbigant. It's a wonderful fougere and is sort of a "greener, soapier" Drakkar Noir.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

Giorgio. Lovely and very unique composition.

Drakkar never really appealed to me, though if you know you like both, its soapy nature might make more versatile, if that's important to you.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Giorgio easily gets my vote over DN. Never really got along with DN although I do enjoy others that are fairly similar.

Also agree that Duc de Vervins would be worth a sniff. I already have Caesar's Man and I found the two smelled close enough that I don't need to own both given how infrequently I wear these, but the Houbigant has just a touch more green freshness to it.

If you put it next to DN, Caesar's Man & Duc de Vervins, then scent-wise Giorgio would be the outlier IMO with its rich aldehydic honeyed patchouli at the forefront. The other three are more lavender forward fougeres.

I would say Drakkar. It still has that appeal that made me like the frag in the 80's.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I would pass the current versions of both, (though I think current GBH is a worse re-re-reformulation than current DN), and would buy the vintage versions of both.
    Vintage bottles of both DN and GBH are still relatively plentiful and affordable through online auctions. (DN 100 ml for as low as $25, GBH 120 ml for as low as $23.5, both including shipping.These may not be brand new bottles in the box, but usually ~100% full bottles.)

Owning and loving both, Drakkar far more in terms of distinguished, suave, dark, classy sophistication, while Giorgio in a more direct, natural, raw, uncomplicated way
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Drakkar Noir.

Drakkar Noir.

I haven't smelled the new Giorgio, but I still have about a quarter of a bottle I purchased in the 1980's and although it's gotten darker in color over the years, it's still very powerful as was Drakkar back then. I don't know if it's the bottle I bought a few months ago, but my bottle of Drakkar (2016 batch date) is quite weak. I get about an hour of projection and four hours of longevity.

In the end i bought Giorgio. Batch 6AA1, lists oakmoss and treemoss in ingredients. Very powerfull, it lasts on my skin 10-12 hours. Regarding the smell, to my nose, a combo between Kouros and Gentleman.

Congratulations and enjoy- a great choice that can be had comparatively inexpensively, while providing quite a bit of performance, heft, intensity and powerhouse masculinity not always easily attainable at such bargain rates
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Thanks, it was very inexpensive - 16€

Giorgio was finely reformulated
    Drakkar has become a cologne!

Quote Originally Posted by bibo View Post
    Giorgio was finely reformulated
    Drakkar has become a cologne!
    Do you have the new Giorgio Beverly Hills? If so, how strong is it? The original was incredible. I still have about 25% of my bottle from the mid 1980's.

Quote Originally Posted by exploretoi View Post
    In the end i bought Giorgio. Batch 6AA1, lists oakmoss and treemoss in ingredients. Very powerfull, it lasts on my skin 10-12 hours. Regarding the smell, to my nose, a combo between Kouros and Gentleman.
    I still have about 25 ml left of my mid 1980's bottle. The batch code is 2MZ014 (I think, as it's partially rubbed out). I bought it sometime around 1985. The sticker at the bottom of the bottle reads "Giorgio Beverly Hills, Beverly Hills, CA 90210 Made in USA". It was originally a greenish yellow when i bought it. Note that it's turned to brown (like the photos of some of the vintage bottles sold on Ebay). It still smells very strong. When you take off the cap, you can smell it from six inches away.

------
    Last edited by bibo; 28th June 2017 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shave-A-Thon View Post
    Do you have the new Giorgio Beverly Hills? If so, how strong is it? The original was incredible. I still have about 25% of my bottle from the mid 1980's.
    it is nice you have to overspray a bit...but you don't have to empty the bottle like you have with Drakkar!
    I tasted Drakkar Vintage and it is a beast compared to the new fluff!

Quote Originally Posted by bibo View Post
    it is nice you have to overspray a bit...but you don't have to empty the bottle like you have with Drakkar!
    I tasted Drakkar Vintage and it is a beast compared to the new fluff!
    I bought the Drakkar in a large splash bottle when it first came out. It was really powerful stuff. I bought a bottle from Amazon last year with a 2016 batch date that was very weak. I wrote them an email and explained it, so they exchanged the bottle. The 2nd bottle had a 2015 batch date and though it's a year older, it was much stronger but not nearly the projection of vintage Drakkar. What was interesting is that the batch code font was larger on the 2015 bottle than the 2016 bottle and seemed to be imprinted on the side. Does anyone know if that's where Drakkar is now placing their batch codes? Are they not etched or engraved into the bottom of the bottles?

In current formulation Giorgio is still pretty respectable and actually outperforms my vintage bottles. The deep oakmoss in the base is gone, the honey is FAR less skanky / animalic, and I detect some kind of generic gummy / spicy base that's nowhere to be found in the vintage. The floral component, as with many reformulated powerhouses, leans that little bit closer to "hospital air freshener". But it's still fantastic value for money and super manly.

I really like the current formulation of Drakkar but don't expect it to perform like Giorgio. It's also consistently more expensive than Giorgio. To be honest, my vintage (late 90s) Cosmair bottle of Drakkar doesn't perform any better than the new stuff.
    Currently wearing: Patchouli by Floris