Code of Conduct

Default Perfume for Mom: Please Help !

Ladies and Lads who know feminine fragrances, I need your help.

I need to buy a perfume for my Mom, so I headed out to the local outlet mall and the various fragrance discounters( I am based in the US) and was utterly disappointed. Back in the day I have bought things for her like Fendi Theorema or even Ellen Tracy and they had redeeming values. Almost everything I samples this week smelled like bugspray ! Have I hit the reformulation brick wall ?

I need some suggestioms on what to do, what perfume will work for a 60 year old who usually wears perfume on special occasions and perhaps casual one as well ? I am thinking of Chanel.No. 5. Or 19. Need a dense complex EDP, max budget around $130, which is what No. 5 seems to be selling at for a 3.4 oz.

Thanks in advance !
    Last edited by ISmellGood; 19th June 2017 at 03:23 PM.
    Currently wearing: Pour Un Homme by Caron

Default Re: Perfume for Mom: Please Help !

I am your mom's age but don't like Chanel No.5. I think you are a very thoughtful son to
    want to surprise her in this way.
    I would suggest Thierry Mugler Alien (a sensual sambac jasmine-centric scent that
    projects well,) Coco by Chanel or Guerlain Shalimar. Or you could get her a voucher and let her
    pick her own (not as personal but maybe more sensible.)
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: Velvet Orchid by Tom Ford

Always hard to know what another person would like.

I agree with you that the Chanels are a good choice, classic and elegant. No 5 more floral and soapy, and no 19 greener and somewhat fresher. Not sure what you mean by dense, both have good projection and longevity, but I wouldn't describe them as dense in the way, say, an oriental perfume (like said Coco) would be.

don't deceive with belief

A few suggestions -

Coco EdP - spicy oriental
    No 19 Poudre - wonderful iris
    Narciso EdP (summery floral - the one in the white bottle)

If your mom is into florals, Ostara by Penhaligon's is very well done. It shines with a prominent but creamy daffodil note that is infused with sunshine It has been discontinued (though it was released in 2015) and is available at Notino. There is a fairly large supporting cast, but the star of the show is definitely the daffodil. The dry down is less "yellow" and leans more toward the white musk infused ambery vanilla side of things... It's very nice and definitely a fragrance that smells like "spring" captured in a bottle.

In terms of a fragrance that can be sampled at store fronts and bought reasonably online, Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana is worth checking out. It's quite versatile, doesn't smell "perfumey" and smells quite nice.
    Last edited by checkmate; 19th June 2017 at 08:26 PM.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Gris Clair by Serge Lutens

don't deceive with belief

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    If your mom is into florals, Ostara by Penhaligon's is very well done. It shines with a prominent but creamy daffodil note that is infused with sunshine It has been discontinued (though it was released in 2015) and is available at Notino. There is a fairly large supporting cast, but the star of the show is definitely the daffodil. The dry down is less "yellow" and leans more toward the white musk infused ambery vanilla side of things... It's very nice and definitely a fragrance that smells like "spring" captured in a bottle.
    This is a great suggestion, agree 100%.

Good Suggestions!
    Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    A few suggestions -

Coco EdP - spicy oriental
    No 19 Poudre - wonderful iris
    Narciso EdP (summery floral - the one in the white bottle)

Thank You all for your great suggestions !

First question for all : Am I to assume I can ignore the 'reformulation' issue with the above suggestions, or should I search for
    some 'vintage; versions for things like Coco ? The Shalimar I sampled this past weekend was nothing like what I remember from the early 2000s.

So far I have (ignoring Shalimar)
    - Coco EDP By Chanel
    - Mugler Alien
    - No 19 Poudre Chanel
    - Narciso EdP whute bottle
    - Ostara by Penhaligon (The only Penhaligon I have smelled is Bleinhem Bouquet but my educated guess is they are centuries apart !)
    - D&G Light Blue

Thanks !
    Gotham

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    I am your mom's age but don't like Chanel No.5. I think you are a very thoughtful son to
    want to surprise her in this way.
    I would suggest Thierry Mugler Alien (a sensual sambac jasmine-centric scent that
    projects well,) Coco by Chanel or Guerlain Shalimar. Or you could get her a voucher and let her
    pick her own (not as personal but maybe more sensible.)

Thank You kewart, I actually took my Mom with me so no surprise but we were both disappointed at the state of scents these days, longevity and lack of a
    solid base is my number one gripe, though I understand that can be attributed to IFRA regulations.

I actually liked the Angel that one of the sales associated showed us but it came off as a little masculine but will definitely try the Alien.
    Like I mentioned, the Shalimar we sampled was a shadow of its former self, but Coco seems like a good option, hopefully it didn't get changed a whole lot.

Gotham

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Always hard to know what another person would like.

I agree with you that the Chanels are a good choice, classic and elegant. No 5 more floral and soapy, and no 19 greener and somewhat fresher. Not sure what you mean by dense, both have good projection and longevity, but I wouldn't describe them as dense in the way, say, an oriental perfume (like said Coco) would be.
    Thank you cacio,

By 'dense' I was trying to mean deep or complex, long-lasting and good sillage ! I was thinking of the Chanels because they are classics they would be more accessible
    at a Macys or something tlike that to sample before being bought.

Quote Originally Posted by ISmellGood View Post
    Thank You all for your great suggestions !

First question for all : Am I to assume I can ignore the 'reformulation' issue with the above suggestions, or should I search for
    some 'vintage; versions for things like Coco ? The Shalimar I sampled this past weekend was nothing like what I remember from the early 2000s.

So far I have (ignoring Shalimar)
    - Coco EDP By Chanel
    - Mugler Alien
    - No 19 Poudre Chanel
    - Narciso EdP whute bottle
    - Ostara by Penhaligon (The only Penhaligon I have smelled is Bleinhem Bouquet but my educated guess is they are centuries apart !)
    - D&G Light Blue

Thanks !
    Gotham
    It's hard to not recommend vintage formulations in the scents you'd mentioned. I own an love vintage Chanel No 19 EDT, which I find to be very unisex. Having tried to newest 19, they're worlds apart!

There are some great reviews of Ostara both on BN and fragrantica and it's nice to know that you won't have to worry about reformulation! After sampling this, I was blown away, which doesn't happen often! It smells "composed" yet "playful," if that makes sense

If your mom enjoys bright florals that aren't "perfumey," this is a solid contender.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    Another for this one. Smells divine on a woman.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

What about J'Adore or one of its flankers?
    Striving still to Truth unknown
    Currently wearing: Déclaration by Cartier

I'm two years older than your mother and for a new release, I liked Stash (available at Ulta). It smells like perfume used to smell. Longevity is not the greatest, but it's so cheap you can keep spraying, or there is a body oil that you can layer with the edp.

Nothing smells like it used to anymore. L'Heure Bleue is not bad, but only in the parfum form.
    It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.--Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

Miss Dior Cherrie, Aromatics Elixir, Soir de Lune, Ô D'Azur, Must de Cartier Parfum.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    Good call.

J'adore Absolu is a very solid perfume. A close friend of mine wears this as her "special occasion" fragrance and it smells wonderful on her.

Mother Teresa

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    I did sample J'Adore this weekend, and maybe at that point I was dejected by the IFRA apolocalypse we are facing nowbut as the post above says "it seems Nothing smells like it used to anymore" !

It does seem that the niche houses still have redeeming values. I have been impressed by Acqua Di Parma, L'artisan. Mancera etc.
    So the Penhalogons Ostara suggestion above seems very promising to me.

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    Good call.

J'adore Absolu is a very solid perfume. A close friend of mine wears this as her "special occasion" fragrance and it smells wonderful on her.
    I will have to try out the Absolu.

If you both liked Angel but it felt too masculine I recommend Angel Muse.

Alien lasts a thousand years, and it's beautiful (though on me quite linear).

Good luck, and what a sweet gift!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Amouage Myths Woman or anything by Divine, both top tier fragrance houses. Don't be fooled by Ostara. It's basically Marc Jacobs' Daisy with a cloying dark amber honey accord similar to Chole. It's not as bright a fragrance as one would expect, in fact, Daisy is much better and young even though it has a synthetic magazine feel to it. Ostara is a 'special' one time use fragrance that will sit on the shelf and the bottle is ugly as hell and would remind me I was born closer to 1900 than 2000.
    Last edited by rucksack; 20th June 2017 at 08:22 AM.

I think the original Bulgari (for her) is an absolutely elegant and timeline perfume. It smells like quality to me as well. I completely emptied a full bottle I had, and the only reason I didn't replace it is because I bought a bottle for my 61 year old mother in law (and I'm the type of person who likes to smell somewhat original)

Blog Entries

This is complex, luscious rose. You'll just have to take my word for it.
    Tulipano Nero-
    http://www.lusciouscargo.com/product/PDFEDT100.html
    Currently wearing: French Cancan by Caron