Code of Conduct

Default Transiting from naturral to synthetic

Hi

I've been working with naturals for almost a year, I tried many things, but everything I do seems to be too powdery or, sometimes I find a good accord, but beside that there seems to have a cloud of indistinct notes that I do not want.

As I read on many posts on this forum, it seems to be a problem that comes with working with naturals.

Now, I think i could give a try to synthetics, but I have already spend a lot of money on my naturals and I'm a bit afraid of spending a lot more, so I'm looking for some advises.

What are the most indispensable ACs. What can I get that is not expensive and that is useful. Will I be able to make something "special" while working with the bascs ACs - (or the ones everybody find so indispensable)

Can I blend my naturals with ACs?

Any advise you may think of will be useful for me

Thank you
    Last edited by Simbsp; 19th June 2017 at 03:23 PM.

Super Member aestheticindustrialist's Avatar

Default Re: Transiting from naturral to synthetic

Quote Originally Posted by Simbsp View Post

What are the most indispensable ACs. What can I get that is not expensive and that is useful. Will I be able to make something "special" while working with the bascs ACs - (or the ones everybody find so indispensable)

Can I blend my naturals with ACs?
    Welcome to the dark side! This post: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...=1#post3173944 and the thread in particular was very helpful when I began to research with which ACs I wanted to work. And yes, your ACs can blend with your EOs/naturals.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by aestheticindustrialist View Post
    Welcome to the dark side! This post: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...=1#post3173944 and the thread in particular was very helpful when I began to research with which ACs I wanted to work. And yes, your ACs can blend with your EOs/naturals.

Cheers.
    Thank you for your answer.

But when I look at that list I only see the many many many many dollars I will have to put again in that bottomless pit of money that is perfumery (well I don't know if this English expression is correct, but I guess you will understand what I mean).
    Last edited by Simbsp; 19th June 2017 at 05:43 PM.

You control how many your buy, and Chris divided that list into 4 sets of 25, notating which ones are likely most important. Research those first 25 and pick 10 to start with. You can acquire your first ten for under $100 shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Simbsp View Post
    Thank you for your answer.

But when I look at that list I only see the many many many many dollars I will have to put again in that bottomless pit of money that is perfumery (well I don't know if this English expression is correct, but I guess you will understand what I mean).
    Spending a lot of money is known risk, yes. But it also depends on how you handle it. You could start and see what Hedione, Iso E Super, Ambrox, Ethylene Brassylate and iso-methyl ionone can do for you. (No doubt someone else will modify this suggestion.) These are probably five of the most common and most versatile synthetic compounds. They are not expensive either. If you can tame your curiosity to get to known other synthetics, you can work with those for quite some time. Then you can judge what they are worth for you.

{If you cannot handle your curiosity, order small samples just to get acquainted with it, and only order more, if you really need it. Or give yourself an allowance to spend on perfumery.}

Quote Originally Posted by filousoph View Post
    These are probably five of the most common and most versatile synthetic compounds.
    A good suggestion!

Simbsp, alternatively, one could also go in a different direction, choosing less compulsively used materials in place of the popular bigshots. Think about what you want to do and then research those terms on here and see which chemicals are recommended.

Are you looking to expand your musk/fixation/diffusion capabilities? Exaltolide is a great starting point.

Floralizer? Rosalva will augment your floral/fruit EOs in unique ways. Hexyl Cinnamic Aldehyde is a good AC, too, for citrus-floral directions.

I'd avoid the aliphatic aldehydes, choose a few musks, a few acetates (Benzyl, Geranyl, Linalyl), and whatever else falls in line with your immediate goal.

Otherwise, the widely agreed Top 100 for beginners already exist on that list.

Think about what it is you are trying to achieve first. There is, and will be, an endless dripping tap on the wallet when you enter the realms of perfumery. However it is not quite, but nearly pointless, buying an interesting chemical, no matter how useful to others, if you aren't going to do anything other than just sniff it for curiosity and fun.

Find your own objectives. Are you seeking diffusiveness, longevity, sharpness, lightness etc etc etc? What is the next range or area of perfume you wish to make? This is all about you and your journey. Everyones is slightly different. That line of careful thought will then guide you to where your money will be spent in a more useful fashion. You won't resent the cost if the material then becomes invaluable to you.

Some of my biggest errors of judgement was/is when I buy too many at a time to make the postage worth it. Buying lots just gives you too much to learn all at once in my experience. Better small and regular purchases and aiming towards a self imposed mindset target of creative ideas.
    Currently wearing: Diorling by Christian Dior

like mummy said: buy in small(er) amounts, but not just for the reason she said … in the end you will do a monthly purchase for sure …

Thanks to everybody for your suggestions.