Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Let's talk: The most fraudulent fragrance houses with extreme marketing

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    "Ask no questions, believe only what you see. No; believe half of what you see".

Arrr.

there ya go. Can't even believe my memory! Okay...been 65 years or so since I saw it so do I get a pass ya landbubber ya..?

Arrrr
    Summer grasses
    All that remain
    Of warriors' dreams--Basho

Default Re: Let's talk: The most fraudulent fragrance houses with extreme marketing

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    there ya go. Can't even believe my memory! Okay...been 65 years or so since I saw it so do I get a pass ya landbubber ya..?

Arrrr
    Arrr, you get a pass from the plank this time, matey.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    Please don't.
    LMAO!

OK - you've twisted my arm!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    If I gave voice to the paranoid Possum-Pie living deep within, I'd say the OP could be a plant that HOM hired to bash the company. A thread saying "I found a company that I love" generally gets far less posts than one saying that they are horrible. (We are up to 6 pages after all!!!)
    To shill, or to fake anti-shill, that is the question:
    Whether 'tis better for the brand to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous accusation,
    Or the loving Arms of a Sea of lies.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    To shill, or to fake anti-shill, that is the question:
    Whether 'tis better for the brand to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous accusation,
    Or the loving Arms of a Sea of lies.
    Cause this is shiller, shiller night
    And no one's gonna save you
    From the beast about to strike..
    (zombie walk)
    Summer grasses
    All that remain

Basenotes Junkie Still-Life With Red Rob's Avatar
    (Outside)Portland, Oregon, on the Mighty Columbia, rolling on to the ocean...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Incubus View Post
    LOL. I writing for myself. That's what I think. I could ask you the same, it have much more sense because house you defending have no breaks of any kind in marketing. Evidence, well good point, I link complaint on them, however they have no evidence about "excellence" of their scents. And there is significant lack of keenness for their fragrances.
    Again, your critique is subjective, which is why we are here...to discuss things that are subjective. But you come across as a very targeted, hostile "reviewer" of the house, which I find more interesting to discuss than your reaction to their frags, which I don't think you are expressing, actually. Maybe it's your level of fluency (believe me, I'm a student of a few languages, and don't always (most of the time...lol...) express what I mean to) in English, but you come across as not having experienced the company yourself to a degree warranting a slander campaign (which happens....read my amazon reviews when I get burned on a product...keee-rist, I let 'em have it! *insert embarrassed douchebag emoji, here*) such as you are trying to start. You are pointing out heresay comments on a third party sight, and daring us to come at you. It just feels wrong to me. I agree with any commentary about clever....no, scratch that...creative shill marketing addressed in this thread. At least you didn't come out saying: "Bro, their scents suck, bro!" or suggest an alternative "niche" house, writing "BRO! This house is sick! It smells sooooo awesome! Bro!"

But for me, this OP is like that.

Basenotes Junkie Still-Life With Red Rob's Avatar
    (Outside)Portland, Oregon, on the Mighty Columbia, rolling on to the ocean...
    Blog Entries

I know what you're saying. Indie dissonance is truly an acquired taste. One person's "chaotic dissonance" is another's "dynamic development and excellent note separation"!

One of the things I am most thankful for in this life, is the guy who taught me young to have a very broad view of beauty. Just some guy on TV, but it was one of the greatest gifts imaginable. Applied to fragrance, it makes the scrubbers few and far between. Even the scrubbers have a kind of tragic beauty, in what could have been, or almost was.
    Man, that is a beautiful last sentence, and so, so wise.
    Here's to the power of television! LOL!

"I watched an interview Christi gave with Brooklyn Fragrance Lover (one of the only YouTubers I watch) and I need to say that HOM also has Aroma Chemical based frags...so I wanted to correct that. After learning a bit more about the company, I'll sample a few more offerings before I write them off completely. Christi's energy and enthusiasm has won me over to try a few more frags."

I really like BFL. I may not go for the same scents, but his enthusiasm for the beauty of this hobby is, for me, real world/real time engagement with scents. But even there, there's bound to be marketing and corporate involvement. It's just how they do things. One needs to be savvy, or trust that some houses really want you to try their samples.

Rather than just slamming the OP, though, I want to point out observations I've made about "clever" marketing/packaging. Boudica frags which I have never tried came to mind as I read some critiques of the OP's hated house's marketing style. Boudica, which I've never tried any of, craft these beautiful, GOT/Celto-Saxon flacons and fill them with challenging, fantasy-inspired scents. Is this stuff Conan would wear? Do I want to smell like Conan? Man, I want a Boudica bottle right next to my recreationist copy of Excaliber hanging on the wall.

It's all marketing. They know there's a niche out there for that bit of spin. And for Boudica, the style works. Personally, I'm repulsed by companies claiming all natural. That's a lie, especially given that a lot of the scents all-natural-loving people would wear (oak moss/sandalwood/agar, etc) simply aren't available or used naturally. Synthetics have been there since the beginning, right?
    Last edited by Still-Life With Red Rob; 3rd July 2017 at 06:30 PM.

If I gave voice to the paranoid Possum-Pie living deep within, I'd say the OP could be a plant that HOM hired to bash the company. A thread saying "I found a company that I love" generally gets far less posts than one saying that they are horrible. (We are up to 6 pages after all!!!)
    Hmmm, sort of a reverse psychology angle, clever! I do kinda want to try them now, just to see what the fuss is about

That being said: I'd love to get my hands on Basenotes' site traffic data, so I could test these kinds of hypotheses... It could seriously render an interesting academic marketing/consumer psychology publication.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

The true all-natural perfumers suffer greatly to create what is possible in that genre - therefore, it really is criminal for others to claim they follow the rules when they don't.

Fragrance Bros. also transmit a bit of marketing innocently - I see nothing wrong with it, personally. Their piece on fake Creeds from the Creed boutique is a perfect example. Great service to fragrance lovers, that episode, even if it's almost an ad for Creed.

I think many reviewers of small houses and artisans sense the sadness of very interesting and even beautiful works not finding their audience. That always motivated me to review all-naturals, which I have no interest in as fragrances for normal wear. I felt like artistic talent was going unnoticed, and I could express the scents to those who would appreciate them. It's like jazz music. I feel like I "get" jazz more than many jazz fans, yet my tastes run toward country, techno, EDM-ish pop, and classical. But poke me right and I'll praise anybody who supports jazz in any way possible. In the end, it's all music. Or it's all fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Cause this is shiller, shiller night
    And no one's gonna save you
    From the beast about to strike..
    (zombie walk)
    LMAO!

Blog Entries

The true all-natural perfumers suffer greatly to create what is possible in that genre - therefore, it really is criminal for others to claim they follow the rules when they don't.

I think many reviewers of small houses and artisans sense the sadness of very interesting and even beautiful works not finding their audience. That always motivated me to review all-naturals, which I have no interest in as fragrances for normal wear. .
    I'm ok with "all natural" as long as they don't claim it is somehow better/mores spiritual/ healthier, etc. It irritates the heck out of me to see wild claims without scientific evidence. As a nurse, I see people who can't afford to lose money spend their last dime on a hope and a prayer of some "alternative cure". If it worked, don't you think the major pharmaceutical companies would be selling it? All they want is money, so why don't they? Because THERE IS NO EVIDENCE!!! People read "all natural" or "ancient Chinese remedy" and swallow it whole cloth. Sad. Sometimes there comes scientific evidence, and it becomes widely-known to be effective, MOST of the time there is little/no evidence. I see claims that natural frags are somehow healthier...actually the opposite is usually true. There are much more reported skin reactions to natural ingredients than artificial. I feel a support for small houses also, as long as they don't play on people's paranoia of chemicals.
    [SIZE=]See my Sale thread for partial bottles/samples Zoology, Penhaligon, Montale, marc de la morandiere, many others! [/SIZE]
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

Basenotes Plus

I am amused to find this thread of nonsense continues to be buoyant.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    If only you saw the amazing post I had to delete before sending, arguing for tolerance on the whole "more spiritual" claims. I spent two hours refreshing my thoughts on neoplatonism in the process. Hypatia, Synesius, and a humorous critique of the reduction of pagan spirituality to materialist naturalism. Henceforth to exist only as this erroneous abstract of the empty set.

Quite spiritual, by my definition.

With searching comes loss
    and the presence of absence:
    “My Novel” not found.

-traditional "winku"

https://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Basenotes Plus

With searching comes loss
    and the presence of absence:
    At the very moment I read this, I realized that Red's "scanner codes" are gone from his signature line!

Coincidence?

Oh my goodness. He is so cheesily fantastic. Why haven't I ever seen this dashing smiling pirate before?

He is definitely wearing The Red Room by HOM
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers (NOTE:- All club matters still on hold whilst I care for my dad now.)

Twitter - @PonkClub for regular twitter updates

My Tincture list

A perfumed life - Tinctures, perfumes, cordials, wines and ingredients
    Currently wearing: Charisma by Avon

Blog Entries

“A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.” Willie Wonka
    [SIZE=]See my Sale thread for partial bottles/samples Zoology, Penhaligon, Montale, marc de la morandiere, many others! [/SIZE]

Basenotes Plus

You guys are so much fun. Touche!
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Blog Entries

You guys are so much fun. Touche!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    At the very moment I read this, I realized that Red's "scanner codes" are gone from his signature line!

Coincidence?
    Coincidence? What's that?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Coincidence? What's that?
    A medi-technical term for the procreative act that produces sweet little incidences
    Summer grasses
    All that remain

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

A medi-tecnical term for the procreative act that produces sweet little incidences
    As opposed to coinky-DINKs!

I've forgotten what this thread is about now

Can the OP start again please?

Imagine my surprise to discover this thread was not about Creed.
    Last edited by Democritus; 4th July 2017 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Spelled "to" incorrectly

Those emoji's are LIFE!!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by kaern View Post
    i've forgotten what this thread is about now

can the op start again please?
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr1973 View Post
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    Just curious why you used 44 'o's, not 43 or 45 ....

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I KNEW IT! A Creed thread!!!

Seriously, one has to wonder if Creed did a bespoke for Michelle. Biggest open problem in fragrance conspiracy theories, IMO.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I'M curious as to why you counted! LMAO!

(44 is a majikal number...it MEANS something...I'm certain)
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Blog Entries

I KNEW IT! A Creed thread!!!

Seriously, one has to wonder if Creed did a bespoke for Michelle. Biggest open problem in fragrance conspiracy theories, IMO.
    Her signature being "Love in White" was kind of ironic, the first person outside of the company to own a bottle was Laura Bush. But can you really believe anything you hear/read about Creed?
    Last edited by Possum-Pie; 5th July 2017 at 04:36 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Her signature being "Love in White" was kind of ironic, the first person outside of the company to own a bottle was Laura Bush. But can you really believe anything you hear/read about Creed?
    Creed is quite good at leveraging their clientele. They're like:

"Oh, my, here I am, Mr. Creed SA walking along with an armload of non-existent historic Creed textiles that nobody cares about, and - OMG - I tripped and fell and the secret client list of who wears what just flew off the top where anybody can see it, and - OMG - Ellen Barkin who was so hot in - what ever happened to her? - ANYWAY she apparently likes the mannish Tabarome Millesime - well how's that for weird - whoops - I'd better put the secret list away before anybody sees it and frag-doxxes our very private list of clients who MAY have paid big money for our ***SECRET BESPOKES***!"

Um - yeah.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast