Code of Conduct

Default New found respect for current version guerlain vetiver

Never had nor will chase gold cap vintage.

I had the green ribbed bottle in maybe 2009 and hated it. Smelled very dated and i wrote it off along with the even worse habit rouge.

Yesterday i gave the current GV a sniff. I think it is much better than the green ribbed bottle. Much more wearable. I bought it.
    Worth trying if you thought the green ribbed smelled stale and Like sweat.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: New found respect for current version guerlain vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Yesterday i gave the current GV a sniff. I think it is much better than the green ribbed bottle. Much more wearable. I bought it.
    Congrats! Enjoy it!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The ribbed bottle formula is indeed bad. Habit Rouge as well. There are way better from Guerlain.

Was Habit Rouge ever in a ribbed bottle? I missed that, if that is the case..... Anyway, great fragrance, glad you are enjoying it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    The ribbed bottle formula is indeed bad. Habit Rouge as well. There are way better from Guerlain.
    Striving still to Truth unknown
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    Was Habit Rouge ever in a ribbed bottle? I missed that, if that is the case..... Anyway, great fragrance, glad you are enjoying it!
    No, not that I know. My phrase was dubious, sorry.

BTW does the new Vetiver remember the formular previous to the ribbed bottle one? It was so good back in the days.
    Last edited by Beck; 23rd June 2017 at 02:53 AM.

The new version is great , it lasts forever on my skin.

Personally admitting to be quite pleased with the recent formulations and the current take on this one

don't deceive with belief

I love it in all its iterations, though prefer earlier versions.

Bottle design changes and reformulations are not related, When the marketing folks decide to change the packaging, they don't send an email to Thierry Wasser, saying, "Hey, could you please change the scent too?" Reformulations are made whenever a new IFRA restriction is published or raw materials are discontinued or altered, not when a new bottle design is introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    Bottle design changes and reformulations are not related, When the marketing folks decide to change the packaging, they don't send an email to Thierry Wasser, saying, "Hey, could you please change the scent too?" Reformulations are made whenever a new IFRA restriction is published or raw materials are discontinued or altered, not when a new bottle design is introduced.
    Corporate line.

I know how project management works within a company.
    Projects start with "how much money can we save on this entire product, or product line?" NOT "How much money can we save on the bottle?"
    While I may agree with bottle changes arent a sure fire indication of reformulation, I think human response to design changes by shouting "reformulation!" should be a good indication that there is a strong correlation.
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    3 Latest Videos: Guerlain - L'Homme Ideal Cologne / CoSTUME NATIONAL - 21 / Guerlain - L'Homme Ideal EDT
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store
    Currently wearing: Paradis Perdu by Frapin

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    Corporate line.

I know how project management works within a company.
    Projects start with "how much money can we save on this entire product, or product line?" NOT "How much money can we save on the bottle?"
    While I may agree with bottle changes arent a sure fire indication of reformulation, I think human response to design changes by shouting "reformulation!" should be a good indication that there is a strong correlation.
    Yes, there have been so many obvious reformulations that go along with a design change that the absence of a reformulation seems to be the exception rather than the rule!

Always be smelling

I have tried various formulation of Guerlain Vetiver and I think all are good.
    Some are great.
    I find the EDC formulation the best. Now EDC went through many versions too but I think they are all great. Citrus soft Vetiver. Smooth.
    EDT is a bit more amped up - somewhere between EDC and TF Grey Vetiver EDP. But the softy silky feeling of EDC is missing.
    The current EDT is as good (if not better) than ribbed frosted bottle.
    The gold cap version that MegaMav has is the one that I have not tried.

From my limited and unscientific testing I have hypothesized that Guerlain suffered a bad reformulation phase from late 2000s to early 2010s. Vetiver, Heritage were the ones most affected. Habit Rouge, Derby not as much.
    Past 2015 all their stuff is reformed well. I would avoid 2008-2014.
    Last edited by epapsiou; 22nd June 2017 at 09:19 PM.
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

Sorry, are you speaking about the silver metal cap or the latest dark green cap?
    I find the silver cap one of the best versions..
    I would like to know if the dark green cap has been reformulated!

I had the ribbed bottle and after trying to like it I threw it in the trash. It has imo this chemical accord that is just horrid and dated. This fragrance in this formulation could be the poster child for the term "bug spray" you here from time to time.

I always thought that Tom Fords Grey Vetiver was this one brought up to date and done right. Good to hear though that the new bottle smells better.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I had the ribbed bottle and after trying to like it I threw it in the trash. It has imo this chemical accord that is just horrid and dated. This fragrance in this formulation could be the poster child for the term "bug spray" you here from time to time.

I always thought that Tom Fords Grey Vetiver was this one brought up to date and done right. Good to hear though that the new bottle smells better.
    Funny, I always thought Grey Vetiver was Guerlain Vetiver's run-off from an alley stop during a fun night out.

Thanks OP, might have to grab another (more recent) bottle of the real GV to see how it compares to the ones I have.
    I still don't know who Alice is...

Basenotes Plus

Ill have to give the new version a go as well. I realky didn't start appreciating vetiver dominant fragrances until this year. It sounds cliche but my favorite thus far was Roja Dove Vetiver Extrait, that is until i had the opportunity to sniff some 1980s Guerlain Vetiver Eau de Cologne. WOW! Awesome stuff. I was fortunate enough to acquire a bottle from a very kind and generous basenoter. It will be getting alot of use next spring!
    Current Rotation:
    Aqua di Gio Profumo
    D&G The One EdP
    JPG Le Male
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Homme Eau Extreme
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Virgin Island Water
    MFK Aqua Universalis Forte
    Clive Christian No 1
    Clive Christian 1872
    Dior Sauvage
    Paco Rabanne Invictus

"Waste time wondering which "cologne" pulls better, and your genes will spread only by accident. A perfume should be right for the man, not for the job"
    Luca Turin