Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 204
  1. #1
    Always be smelling
    epapsiou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Oud Forest
    Posts
    3,448

    Lightbulb @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    Great People of Basenotes,
    Manhattan meetup is back. Better than ever. Why ? Cause since the last meetup I have scoured the city for best fragrance shops. Spent hundreds of hours of painstaking research on fragrance district. And because I say so.

    Date:
    Sat Aug 12 and Sun Aug 13



    Itinerary (Subject to change):


    Saturday:
    1. Twisted Lily (9:45am - 11:40am) - We all meet here. They will open for us at 9:30 AM. A BN special private event.
    2. Osswald(12:00pm-1:45pm) - 20 min subway ride from TL. They open at noon so we would be the first ones there.
    3. Bergdorf Goodman (2:00pm-5:00pm) - 10 min subway ride for Osswald. Barneys is close by and so we can go there for a quick look later if there is interest.
    4. End the day with Fragrance District and K-Town dinner . Maybe Karaoke or more sniffing at someone's hotel room/lobby/bar.


    This is going to be the day for smaller shops. There are 2 logistic issues:
    1. Twisted Lily,Osswald, Aedes - all open around 12pm and close at 7pm. I am sure that all of us would be ready to sniff by 10am and so we have to start at a bigger store like Bergdorf or Barneys else we will end up wasting precious 2 hours.
    2. Twisted Lily is in Brooklyn (25 mins subway ride from downtown manhattan) while all others are in Manhattan. Going there and back would cost us an hour. Am trying to squeeze it on Saturday. But if we run over at Aedes or Barney's Downtown TL will have to be done on Sunday.


    Sunday:
    1. Midtown or DowntownBarneys (11:00am - 1:30pm) - Opens at 11 AM. If we decide to do downtown boutiques we will meet at DOWNTOWN Barneys else Midtown Barneys.
    2. Boutiques (2:00pm - ***) - This will be the last part of our meetup. I think some of us would have left by Sunday afternoon and so the ones who remain shall decide where to go.
      Options are:
      • Arabian Oud in Time Square
      • BN9, Creed, Elie Saab - Upper East
      • BN9, Byredo, Le Labo, Atelier, SMN,Odin, Aedes, Fueguia 1833 - Downtown
      • Saks is another option. But I think after doing BG and Barneys there is not much here that we would not have covered already except BN9, Prada Olafactories and Cartier Prive


    Sunday is the day for hitting the stuff we missed on Saturday.
    For past meetups read up here and here


    Swapping:

    Please update your swaplist and testlist in the wardrobe section. With over 10 basenoters we could have a mini swap meet
    Probably get a few unloved bottles and we can exchange.
    I have made a spreadsheet that may be more convenient if wardrobes are not up to date
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

    Please join us this year. You would not want to miss this one.

    Basenoters coming to this meetup:

    Bavard
    IsoESuperman
    Cytherian
    tdem1961
    runstile
    cazaubon
    fiveoaksBouquet
    easykiller
    MegaMav
    epapsiou


    and a few more who are not sure yet.
    Last edited by epapsiou; 11th August 2017 at 12:55 PM.

  2. #2
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    3,715

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    I'm in. Any of those weekends work for me.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus Sport by Chanel

  3. #3
    Smellcheck
    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Carolinas
    Posts
    1,145

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    I usually spend all of August travelling with my employer, but there is a very slight chance I could make it for the first weekend, August 5/6. But don't count that as a solid vote when tallying the responses, since I won't know for certain til mid-July. *Fingers crossed.*

  4. #4
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    21,500
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    I have a travel permit. Barring unforseen tragedies, I am going.
    https://cologniac.com - raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

  5. #5
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    21,500
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    Time number 3 is adjacent to the solar eclipse on that Monday, 8/21/17. As NY is away from the path of the shadow, it's probably a negative factor. OTOH it allows linked travel plans.
    https://cologniac.com - raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

  6. #6

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    Sounds wonderful, but the only weekend that works for me is the 12th. I will follow the thread to see how it pans out.

  7. #7
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    21,500
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    Sounds wonderful, but the only weekend that works for me is the 12th. I will follow the thread to see how it pans out.
    That would probably be best for me, too!
    https://cologniac.com - raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

  8. #8
    Always be smelling
    epapsiou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Oud Forest
    Posts
    3,448

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    Thanks for your input folks. Seems like 12th has the most supporters so far.

  9. #9
    Basenotes Plus
    thediamondsea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,467

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    I'm in, barring any medical weirdness. I should be way past surgery by then, and back on my feet. This also gives me plenty of time to save up some $$$.

    NYC in summer--paradise on earth . (Of course, it can't be any worse than here).
    Currently wearing: Mitsouko by Guerlain

  10. #10
    Always be smelling
    epapsiou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Oud Forest
    Posts
    3,448

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    Quote Originally Posted by thediamondsea View Post
    I'm in, barring any medical weirdness. I should be way past surgery by then, and back on my feet. This also gives me plenty of time to save up some $$$.

    NYC in summer--paradise on earth . (Of course, it can't be any worse than here).
    Look on the bright side - days will be longer. We can sniff till 9 PM . Followed by late night drinks

  11. #11
    don't deceive with belief
    freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    14,008

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    I hate / hated NYC in summer. MY favourite time to visit is December and January, but also like November.

    Unfortunately, due to a host of issues and commitments, I am unable to attend.

  12. #12
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    21,500
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I hate / hated NYC in summer. MY favourite time to visit is December and January, but also like November.

    Unfortunately, due to a host of issues and commitments, I am unable to attend.
    Yes, the holiday season in NYC is awesome. I think those are my two faves, too.
    https://cologniac.com - raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

  13. #13
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    21,500
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    Quote Originally Posted by thediamondsea View Post
    I'm in, barring any medical weirdness. I should be way past surgery by then, and back on my feet. This also gives me plenty of time to save up some $$$.

    NYC in summer--paradise on earth . (Of course, it can't be any worse than here).
    That's right - it's like stepping into the AC for you!
    https://cologniac.com - raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

  14. #14
    People of Zee Wurl, Relax
    IsoESuperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,752

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    Whenever it is, I'll be there...I swear


  15. #15
    Always be smelling
    epapsiou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Oud Forest
    Posts
    3,448

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Whenever it is, I'll be there...I swear

    It may be hard to believe but I sang this one in a talent show.
    I think I was better than the all-for-one dudes. Judges disagreed. Crowd too
    Last edited by epapsiou; 28th June 2017 at 08:32 PM.

  16. #16
    queen of the universe
    jujy54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rustbeltistan on Erie
    Posts
    4,038

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    12th is the one weekend that doesn't work for me. We have a wedding to go to in Bethesda. NYC in August is smelly in its own right; perfume will come in handy!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!
    Currently wearing: 1000 by Jean Patou

  17. #17
    Dependent MegaMav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    3,191

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    Whatever date is decided, I'll let you know.
    Work demands pop up on short notice.
    I'll have to take the train down to Penn Station if I can make it.
    If I do make it, I'll bring a few fragrances for people to try on demand.
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    3 Latest Videos: Profumo di Firenze - 1954 Colonia Fiorentina / Profumo di Firenze - 1954 Dolce Prospettiva / Guerlain - L'Homme Ideal EDP
    Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store

  18. #18
    Freed from BN Institution
    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    25,575

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    Will there be some photos similar that of the Denver meet up?
    Currently wearing: 17/17 Irisss by Xerjoff

  19. #19
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    21,500
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Will there be some photos similar that of the Denver meet up?
    There should be a ton of them. I'm a relentless picture-taker. I took just short of 3000 pictures on my last 9-day trip to Europe.

    Curses! Just 6 more pictures! Next time, I'll be sure to take MORE!!!

    Seriously, I take lots of pictures in museums - at least 2 of every item I like - one for the item and one for the description. If I like the item a lot, several angles. And we visited multiple museums on our trip.
    https://cologniac.com - raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

  20. #20
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    21,500
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    Whatever date is decided, I'll let you know.
    Work demands pop up on short notice.
    I'll have to take the train down to Penn Station if I can make it.
    If I do make it, I'll bring a few fragrances for people to try on demand.
    Awesome!!!
    https://cologniac.com - raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

  21. #21
    Freed from BN Institution
    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    25,575

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    There should be a ton of them. I'm a relentless picture-taker. I took just short of 3000 pictures on my last 9-day trip to Europe.

    Curses! Just 6 more pictures! Next time, I'll be sure to take MORE!!!

    Seriously, I take lots of pictures in museums - at least 2 of every item I like - one for the item and one for the description. If I like the item a lot, several angles. And we visited multiple museums on our trip.
    Need a cameraman, look no further!

    3000 pictures must have taken a lot of storage space on the hard drive. Were you able to go through them all later?
    Currently wearing: 17/17 Irisss by Xerjoff

  22. #22
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    21,500
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Need a cameraman, look no further!

    3000 pictures must have taken a lot of storage space on the hard drive. Were you able to go through them all later?
    Definitely took space - this is why I opt for big drives always!

    I have NOT even sat down to look at them all. I have gone through several times to show people parts of the trip they were interested in, but never the whole thing. A dozen here, a few dozen there.

    I used to feel weird taking a lot of pictures, but now that video is here and uses so much more space, I feel kind of selective and miserly by just taking pictures.
    https://cologniac.com - raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

  23. #23
    Freed from BN Institution
    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    25,575

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Definitely took space - this is why I opt for big drives always!

    I have NOT even sat down to look at them all. I have gone through several times to show people parts of the trip they were interested in, but never the whole thing. A dozen here, a few dozen there.

    I used to feel weird taking a lot of pictures, but now that video is here and uses so much more space, I feel kind of selective and miserly by just taking pictures.
    Any of the photos scenic? Those are always wonderful to see, as I'm a sucker for those kinds of photos. Perhaps you can post a few pics of scenery somewhere?
    Currently wearing: 17/17 Irisss by Xerjoff

  24. #24
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    21,500
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Any of the photos scenic? Those are always wonderful to see, as I'm a sucker for those kinds of photos. Perhaps you can post a few pics of scenery somewhere?
    Some of them are probably scenic, although they may require editing out edges. I tend to take extra picture around the edges of what I'm interested in, so that I have something to cut away. Except food pictures, because those are so easy to compose and I generally want to cut out edges of plates and whatnot anyway.

    I'll need to get my online photo accounts in order (they've been unused for years), but yes - I have plenty of room available on those accounts, so I can probably find some great pictures in the mass. If I don't get to them up soon, I can put them up at the same time that I do the BN meetup pictures, in August.
    https://cologniac.com - raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

  25. #25
    easykiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    740
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    Definitely interested. The 12th sounds good. Especially interested in the shops in the fragrance district. Will drive up from South Jersey for this.
    John aka Easykiller

  26. #26
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    21,500
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    Quote Originally Posted by easykiller View Post
    Definitely interested. The 12th sounds good. Especially interested in the shops in the fragrance district. Will drive up from South Jersey for this.
    Very cool! Yes - I'm also interested in the fragrance district. Heard some great stories from fragrance lovers who've shopped there. I've never been there.
    https://cologniac.com - raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

  27. #27
    Always be smelling
    epapsiou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Oud Forest
    Posts
    3,448

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Very cool! Yes - I'm also interested in the fragrance district. Heard some great stories from fragrance lovers who've shopped there. I've never been there.
    It is fun but not what it used to be. I think fragrancenet etc took a lot of their business away.
    Bring cash and be prepared to haggle.

  28. #28
    People of Zee Wurl, Relax
    IsoESuperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,752

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    It may be hard to believe but I sang this one in a talent show.
    I think I was better than the all-for-one dudes. Judges disagreed. Crowd too
    Way to set yourself up. I know I'll be demanding to hear a live rendition from epapsiou, who's with me?!

    At the very least, I hope that performance was taped.

  29. #29
    Always be smelling
    epapsiou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Oud Forest
    Posts
    3,448

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Way to set yourself up. I know I'll be demanding to hear a live rendition from epapsiou, who's with me?!

    At the very least, I hope that performance was taped.
    So Saturday after sniffing we can all go to K-Town for karoke and drinks.
    Maybe some bulgogi

  30. #30
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    3,715

    Default Re: @@ Manhattan Meetup is Back @@

    Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    So Saturday after sniffing we can all go to K-Town for karoke and drinks.
    Maybe some bulgogi
    I like this plan.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus Sport by Chanel

Similar Threads

  1. Back Again - Manhattan Meetup || Sep 25 2016 || Double the fun
    By epapsiou in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 30th September 2016, 05:36 PM
  2. Meetup in Manhattan : Sunday July 17th
    By epapsiou in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: 18th August 2016, 07:35 PM
  3. Manhattan NY Meetup Plan (who is interested)
    By noirdrakkar in forum USA
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 30th March 2014, 12:22 PM
  4. Off to Manhattan
    By debbborra in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 30th December 2008, 11:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000