Code of Conduct

Default Eau de Guerlain question

Hi all, I'm trying to see if someone could help me figure out whether I've received spoiled versions of Eau de Guerlain or not. I've bought and returned one bottle and received a second, and neither one smelled "fresh" and "clean" like most of the reviews point out. Luca Turin called it the perfect citrus but both bottles I've smelled have a slightly dirty, maybe strong on the oakmoss smell to them, and the citrus doesn't seem very prominent to my nose. Much more like Heritage than Imperiale or Eau de Rochas.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Eau de Guerlain question

Quote Originally Posted by dhc View Post
    Hi all, I'm trying to see if someone could help me figure out whether I've received spoiled versions of Eau de Guerlain or not. I've bought and returned one bottle and received a second, and neither one smelled "fresh" and "clean" like most of the reviews point out. Luca Turin called it the perfect citrus but both bottles I've smelled have a slightly dirty, maybe strong on the oakmoss smell to them, and the citrus doesn't seem very prominent to my nose. Much more like Heritage than Imperiale or Eau de Rochas.
    Eau de Guerlain is not exclusively a citrus frag. There is oak moss, musk, and patchouli to dirty it up. If you want 'clean' citrus try Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet or Heeley's Oranges and Lemons say the Bells of St. Clements. Those are purer. It's rare that a new full bottle of perfume is "bad" as in something happened to spoil it. Some difference comes from random reformulations, which EdG has gone through at least once...
    [SIZE=]See my Sale thread for partial bottles/samples Zoology, Penhaligon, Montale, marc de la morandiere, many others! [/SIZE]

As possum pie was saying, eau de guerlain is a bit more complex than a pure citrus cologne. Also, it's more about verbena than citrus. That said, I have not smelled the latest iterations.

Also, spoled perfume is usually very recognizable, it's off notes like varnish, or musty, or burnt - it's not just different but ok.

cacio

I have worn it for many years. Yes, spicy warm feel not citrus fresh, I don't like citrus traditional colognes and Eau de Guerlain was just fresh enough for me but with the added oakmoss gives it depth.
    DONNA

Bought it recently because I got a great reduction and I wasn't patient enough to wait beyond the top and middle notes. The opening is a very nice and bright citrus, but the drydown...nah. Smells like grandma or grandpa. Utter disappointment. By my bad.
    Currently wearing: Neroli by Czech & Speake

Excellent, I appreciate the replies!

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Not my favorite citrus but I do like it indeed. I get a fairly potent citrus with this one.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Try Guerlain's Eau de Fleurs de Cédrat instead. I think it might be more up your street. It's a superb citrus cologne. Eau de Cologne Impériale is good too but very, very short lived.
    Currently wearing: Musc by Bruno Acampora

Try the Guerlain Imperiale EdC - might work better for you.

Or, if it's citrus you're after, grab some Monsieur Balmain.

Eau de Guerlain, as mentioned above, is 'more' than just an EdC - it's a light, breezy chypre kinda thing . . .
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Yeah I bought all of the other earlier Les Eaux from Guerlain before buying Eau de Guerlain and that is probably why I felt like something was off. It makes more sense seeing it as a sort of chypre fragrance.

Balmain is pretty good!