Code of Conduct
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Areej le Doré : The Official Discussion Thread

HELPFUL TIP #1

Due to the limited sample size and nuanced complexity of the compositions I’d recommend at least ONE sampling to be done on a piece of fabric and keeping it in a suitably sized ziplock bag. I find this approach useful in slowing down fragrance evolution, tracking its development and assessing which notes are more prominent in sillage/projection.

If you have other tips/methods you have found useful, please share with us here in this thread.

P/s:
    How I wish someone would cut up my credit card and stop me from buying these but I have the 16-digit number memorized so that won’t help as much as I thought it would. Crashing the internet server is still an option though, lol. Maybe I’ll just call up the bank..(and asked for a temporary raise in credit limit.) j/k
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 13th October 2017 at 08:52 AM.
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    HELPFUL TIP #1

Due to the limited sample size and nuanced complexity of the compositions I’d recommend at least ONE sampling to be done on a piece of fabric and keeping it in a suitably sized ziplock bag. I find this approach useful in slowing down fragrance evolution, tracking its development and assessing which notes are more prominent in sillage/projection.

If you have other tips/methods you have found useful, please share with us here in this thread.

P/s:
    How I wish someone would cut up my credit card and stop me from buying these but I have the 16-digit number memorized so that won’t help as much as I thought it would. Crashing the internet server is still an option though, lol. Maybe I’ll just call up the bank..(and asked for a temporary raise in credit limit.) j/k
    I'm surprised I have the mental fortitude to keep my savings safe from this hobby . +1 for tip

Quote Originally Posted by kswer View Post
    Got an email from STC this morning saying the sample set was in my cart. WTF? I bought that yesterday. Turns out, for some reason I have no idea about, PayPal wasn't charged and it seems I didn't get my order. I am so mad right now that I will bad mouth STC every opportunity I can get.
    I'm going to take an opportunity to bad mouth STC. I ordered my samples on Tuesday10/3. I paid extra, and selected an expedited shipping option. It's now Friday 10/13 10:00AM PST and the tracking says "awaiting item". STC is the worst shipper/ takes forever to ship. I got something from Ensar Oud from Jordan in two days.

I hope Russian Adam uses another service next time around. I'll be lucky if I get this package Monday. It would have arrived at my home today if they would have shipped Wednesday like they should have. I wanted to sample these and add to my Areej bottle order if I really liked something. Now my bottle of Flux de Fleur will ship before I can even get samples from the slow ass STC. I'm done with STC. When I pay for expedited shipping I expect to get it. The girls at STC just like to do things when they get around to them. Their customer service sucks.They always act like they're overwhelmed. Maybe they should get some more help if they're that busy.

I have a question for the ones that ordered the samples. Have you received yours? Is it in the "awaiting item" mode? Has it been shipped and moving? Let's see if there's any consistency since we all ordered the same thing on the same day. Go ahead and share with us, look at your order status and give us a heads up on how your shipping is coming along.

UPDATE:

Placed order with STC at 8:38 A.M Oct 10th. Took 84 hours just to be Accepted at USPS Origin Facility at 8:36 P.M on Oct 13th.

If STC would like to comment on their side of the story my order number is 117395.

I've emailed their customer service to start a discussion on what happened. So far no response from STC.

I'm guessing at this point, no response is their response.

I realize I may not be their best customer, but I have spent $877.63 since I started buying from them.

UPDATE 2: NOW USPS IS SCREWING UP/ Amazing, 8 days to get from Colorado to Nevada via Priority Mail.

Notice on10/15 9:31am says on it's way to Reno/Then exactly 24 hrs later on the 16th @ 9:31 am/ on it's way to Reno
    Definitely didn't leave the facility on the 15th and got stuck for another 24 hrs

Expected Delivery by: Monday, October 16, 2017 by 8:00pm Mail just delivered/ No samples today

Postal Product:
    Priority Mail®
    Features:
    USPS Tracking®
    Up to $100 insurance included Restrictions Apply 

October 16, 2017, 9:31 am In Transit to Destination On its way to RENO, NV 89509
    The item is currently in transit to the destination as of October 16, 2017 at 9:31 am. It is on its way to RENO, NV 89509.
    October 15, 2017, 9:31 am In Transit to Destination On its way to RENO, NV 89509
    October 14, 2017, 12:31 am Departed USPS Regional Facility DENVER CO NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    October 13, 2017, 10:01 pm Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility DENVER CO NETWORK DISTRIBUTION
    October 13, 2017, 8:46 pm Accepted at USPS Origin Facility DENVER, CO 80220
    October 12, 2017 Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item

UPDATE:3 - Still no samples delivered 10/17
    Last edited by thebeck; 17th October 2017 at 06:33 PM.
    When I post a review or thoughts in general, don't expect a note break down or detailed information. My intent is for you to sample yourself, or have you not waste your money on a sample, as I've done. The only way you'll ever know what something smells like - is to sample.
    Only your nose can lead you the way, so follow it. Get a large piggy bank dedicated for sampling only, and a huge box for all the duds.

Basenotes Plus

A detailed review of Flux de Fleur from Kafkaesque:

http://www.kafkaesqueblog.com/2017/1...#comment-38981

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    A detailed review of Flux de Fleur from Kafkaesque:

http://www.kafkaesqueblog.com/2017/1...#comment-38981
    Thanks for the link.

It seems he thought it was too strong and unbalanced overall for his taste. At least that was my interpretation.

Now I know why I selected Flux de Fleur for my blind buy because I like a nice heavy, dark fruity, floral Oriental blend.

People are saying Inverno Russo is a little soft,(which actually turned me off for a blind buy) and now we're hearing Flux de Fleur may be a little over the top(which actually turned me on). This is good news because it's sounding like the 4 new scents are diverse enough to appeal to different tastes.
    I hope we all find one that's a perfect match for our own personality and taste profile.

Kafkaesque is one of the best and knowledgeable reviewers out there. After reading his review I think Flux de Fleur is going to be a huge hit for me. Hey man, thanks again for a very well thought out review. It's always a pleasure to read your reviews.

I can hardly wait until next week, after many of us will have had an opportunity to sample all four.
    Last edited by thebeck; 13th October 2017 at 07:56 PM.
    When I post a review or thoughts in general, don't expect a note break down or detailed information. My intent is for you to sample yourself, or have you not waste your money on a sample, as I've done. The only way you'll ever know what something smells like - is to sample.
    Only your nose can lead you the way, so follow it. Get a large piggy bank dedicated for sampling only, and a huge box for all the duds.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Thanks for the link.

It seems he thought it was too strong and unbalanced overall for his taste. At least that was my interpretation.

Now I know why I selected Flux de Fleur because I like a nice heavy, dark fruity, floral Oriental blend.

People are saying Inverno Russo is a little soft,(which actually turned me off for a blind buy) and now we're hearing Flux de Fleur may be a little over the top(which actually turned me on). This is good news because it's sounding like the 4 new scents are diverse enough to appeal to different tastes.

I can hardly wait until next week, after many of us will have had an opportunity to sample all four.
    Yes, Kafkaesque seemed to have a problem with the spices/spiceyness of Flux de Fleur. And since I haven't smelled it yet, I can't speak to this, unfortunately.

Yes, Kafkaesque seemed to have a problem with the spices/spiceyness of Flux de Fleur. And since I haven't smelled it yet, I can't speak to this, unfortunately.
    I can't imagine Fleur de Flux being more spicy than "Basenotes Kiss My Ass" from O'Driu which I own and love. But as you say, unfortunately neither of us has smelled it yet.
    Last edited by thebeck; 13th October 2017 at 07:46 PM.

Basenotes Plus

I'm going to take an opportunity to bad mouth STC. I ordered my samples on Tuesday10/3. I paid extra, and selected an expedited shipping option. It's now Friday 10/13 10:00AM PST and the tracking says "awaiting item". STC is the worst shipper/ takes forever to ship. I got something from Ensar Oud from Jordan in two days.

I hope Russian Adam uses another service next time around. I'll be lucky if I get this package Monday. It would have arrived at my home today if they would have shipped Wednesday like they should have. I wanted to sample these and add to my Areej bottle order if I really liked something. Now my bottle of Flux de Fleur will ship before I can even get samples from the slow ass STC. I'm done with STC. When I pay for expedited shipping I expect to get it. The girls at STC just like to do things when they get around to them. Their customer service sucks.They always act like they're overwhelmed. Maybe they should get some more help if they're that busy.

I have a question for the ones that ordered the samples. Have you received yours? Is it in the "awaiting item" mode? Has it been shipped and moving? Let's see if there's any consistency since we all ordered the same thing on the same day. Go ahead and share with us, look at your order status and give us a heads up on how your shipping is coming along.
    Yup, still in Pre Shipment Info sent
    I ordered it on October 10th 7, 30 in the morning
    Lately though, I have gotten pre shipment right up into the day before I received my package
    USPS just revamped it's website. Soooooo, who knows.
    Kinda will be funny if I get my splits from Strife before StC .
    Yeah, mmm.
    Maybe next time someone here on Basenotes can handle the USA samples.
    Just a thought.

Got my order from Areej yesterday. Wearing Fleur de Flux today. Personally, I wouldn't classify this as a heavy, dark fragrance. Floral, fruity, and a bit of spice, yes. It is beautiful, although if there were more fruit notes it would be too much for me. The opening, with its classical French backdrop, is the best part for me. Taking a quick whiff of the new four last night I would recommend sampling, not blind buying. Complex, innovative and somewhat difficult, these are not what you find at the department store.

I too saw the videos from the feel Oud site and I was very pressed. I sampled some of the Oud’s he produced and liked them a lot but did not buy any. Instead I bought two sandalwoods because I had been looking for sandalwood for a long time and love it. I was very impressed with his. I bought Ottoman Empire and was not disappointed. I have great confidence in the blind purchases I made this week with Atlantic Ambergris and Flux de Fleur. I can’t wait to receive them. I am so enjoying this forum and everyone’s input and excitement.
    Currently wearing: Parfum Privé by Aftelier

Basenotes Plus

Just received my samples, and after sniffing for about 5 minutes (take that into account!), my initial impressions are the following:

Flux de Fleur - a much more complex, layered, and beautifully fruity rendition of Tauer's Maroc Pour Elle

Atlantic Ambergris - highly unusual and slightly marine and slightly nutty/cardamom-y composition that reminds me of nothing I've ever smelled before. Unisex, leaning a bit masculine

Inverno Russo - GORGEOUS animalic/indolic/oudy rose! Ottoman Empire + delicious civet and musk

Oud Picante - just like the copy says: spicy Borneo oud + coffee

My favorite: Inverno Russo (unsurprisingly!)
    Last edited by Starblind; 13th October 2017 at 10:17 PM.

You gotta love it. Starblind and kswer, both from California have received their samples from Areej before STC can even get theirs in the USPS tracking system.

If I would have know STC was going to be so inconsiderate to its customers, I would have paid the extra shipping charges to Areej.

Oh well, live and learn.

STC should be ashamed of themselves.
    Last edited by thebeck; 14th October 2017 at 02:32 AM.

Always be smelling

You gotta love it. Starblind and kswer, both from California have received their samples from Areej before STC can even get theirs in the USPS tracking system.

If I would have know STC was going to be so inconsiderate to its customers, I would have paid the extra shipping charges to Areej.

Oh well, live and learn.

STC should be ashamed of themselves.
    I dont know about your order but they shipped mine within a day. I paid for cheap shipping ($4) so it will take 3 days but they did have priority shipping option for extra.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    I dont know about your order but they shipped mine within a day. I paid for cheap shipping ($4) so it will take 3 days but they did have priority shipping option for extra.
    Paid $10.95 shipping. USPS says "awaiting item" as of 5 minutes ago.

Basenotes Plus

That's what I paid , $3.95. Mmph.
    Hey , with you tracking from USPS, did it show it moving from destination to destination.
    Mine still reads , Pre Shipment info sent to USPS Awaiting Item
    Anyways, so what do you think about them.

I'll check if you already reported about your findings in earlier posts.
    Glad you got yours.
    Last edited by JBS1; 14th October 2017 at 03:13 AM. Reason: cant speeel

Blog Entries

@Starblind, I’m not at all surprised you love Inverno Russo - it’s almost like a love child of Ottoman Empire and Siberian Musk, don’t you think?

@kswer, I agree about the sampling advice but for an entirely different reason: the price. IMO the compositions are competently done, highly wearable and constructed with high grade materials but at these prices buyers more accustomed to sub-100 price tags expect to be blown out of their bathtubs.

@thebeck, I totally get your frustration. I’d be PO’d too if I were you. I wouldn’t second guess myself over Flux de Fleur though It does have a potent opening but hardly the unbalanced beast certain reviews may have you believe, at least not to my nose. I’ll wear 2 sprays next time round and see where that takes me.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 14th October 2017 at 05:34 AM.

Basenotes Plus

@Starblind, I’m not at all surprised you love Inverno Russo - it’s almost like a love child of Ottoman Empire and Siberian Musk. .
    Exactly! I'm a bit surprised by just how animalic it is. I gave my husband a sniff and all he said was "Butt." (He's obviously a perfume connoisseur!)

I finally figured out what Atlantis Ambergris reminds me of; it's HoM's Blackbird.

Blog Entries

@Starblind, LOL. I must be anosmic to the ‘butt’ accord then for I smell little in the way of animalics here. Perhaps synthetic civet just doesn’t register very well on my radar.

Interesting take on Atlantic Ambergris . Have yet to smell HoM Blackbird so perhaps someone else can chime in.

Just smelled Blackbird and Atlantic Ambergris side by side. Faint resemblance to me. My initial reaction to AA was "Wow, this is new but there is a unique note in there that I have smelled before." I have not yet figured out where. Am going to do a full wearing tomorrow so maybe that will help me remember. Or maybe look up ambergris centric frags!

@Starblind, I’m not at all surprised you love Inverno Russo - it’s almost like a love child of Ottoman Empire and Siberian Musk, don’t you think?

@kswer, I agree about the sampling advice but for an entirely different reason: the price. IMO the compositions are competently done, highly wearable and constructed with high grade materials but at these prices buyers more accustomed to sub-100 price tags expect to be blown out of their bathtubs.

@thebeck, I totally get your frustration. I’d be PO’d too if I were you. I wouldn’t second guess myself over Flux de Fleur though It does have a potent opening but hardly the unbalanced beast certain reviews may have you believe, at least not to my nose. I’ll wear 2 sprays next time round and see where that takes me.
    I will be looking for thoughts on a two spray wearing of Inverno Russo. I get my samples on Monday, and I'm hoping Flux de Fleur smells exactly like your description.

Basenotes Plus

Finally I am getting some movement on my samples.
    Monday.
    Very happy.

I don't get the connection of Atlantic Ambergris to Blabckbird at all, unless Blackbird changed a bit with the new packaging? Blackbird was this odd leather, incense and green note with subtle musky woods IMO.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I don't get the connection of Atlantic Ambergris to Blabckbird at all, unless Blackbird changed a bit with the new packaging? Blackbird was this odd leather, incense and green note with subtle musky woods IMO.
    Yes, it's Black No.1 now.

Ended up wearing Inverno Russo yesterday. While I have a lousy nose here are some impressions...
    It opens with a blast of fruit and florals with a bit of Musk in the background. The florals are too combined for me to sort out but the fruit seems to be peach. While I don't mind peach, in Mitsouko, with its stiff backbone, it is beautiful, here it is a bit sweet for my taste. I associate sweet floral or fruit fragrances as being feminine and this almost crosses into that here. When this sweetness dies down IR really starts to shine. The peach fades, the Musk comes forward and now we are talking. The combination of florals and Musk resembles Siberian Musk, just with a different set of florals. It is gorgeous. As it moves into drydown all I could think of was Siberian Musk. If you missed a bottle of SM this is as close to it as you can get unless he releases SM Intense as has been talked about. Just so you know, I thought SM was the best of the initial three releases. And not by a little. These impressions of IR were from a wearing of 4/5 sprays. I noticed it behaved differently when I did one spray on my arm.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I said that AA reminded me of Blackbird, not that they are twins or duplicates by any stretch of the imagination. But I'm wearing them both today and I still think that they are playing in the same unusual ball park. Blackbird is darker, oilier, and more urban, while AA is lighter and more floral, but there is a sort of airy, but oudy marine thing going on with both that makes them odd and almost indefinable in the same kind of way. I can't think of any other scents that smell like either of them. I am a fan of both and think they're highly imaginative and practically unique.

Quote Originally Posted by kswer View Post
    Ended up wearing Inverno Russo yesterday. While I have a lousy nose here are some impressions...
    It opens with a blast of fruit and florals with a bit of Musk in the background. The florals are too combined for me to sort out but the fruit seems to be peach. While I don't mind peach, in Mitsouko, with its stiff backbone, it is beautiful, here it is a bit sweet for my taste. I associate sweet floral or fruit fragrances as being feminine and this almost crosses into that here. When this sweetness dies down IR really starts to shine. The peach fades, the Musk comes forward and now we are talking. The combination of florals and Musk resembles Siberian Musk, just with a different set of florals. It is gorgeous. As it moves into drydown all I could think of was Siberian Musk. If you missed a bottle of SM this is as close to it as you can get unless he releases SM Intense as has been talked about. Just so you know, I thought SM was the best of the initial three releases. And not by a little. These impressions of IR were from a wearing of 4/5 sprays. I noticed it behaved differently when I did one spray on my arm.
    I'm a guy who enjoys florals on myself than most men usually do. Sounds like from this description I'm going to enjoy Inverno Russo.

And kswer - your nose is just fine, and we enjoy your input.

We've had some one and two spray reviews of this one. I'm happy you did the 4/5 spray. That's more like it.
    Last edited by thebeck; 15th October 2017 at 09:57 PM.

Blog Entries

+1 on what kswer said re: this is as close as one could gets to the amazing Siberian Musk.

Incidentally I’m wearing the last few sprays of Inverno Russo today ( 2 to chest/solar plexus, 1 to the back and 1 to the crook of one arm), probably the equivalent of 2-3 full sprays from the bottle. The rose may be a little more prominent in the first 30 min but for the most part it sings harmoniously as a well-blended natural-smelling floral musk, not a musky rose nor a rosy musk, resting on a warm ambery bed of muted spices, sandalwood and resins. Still waiting if the ‘animalic’ aspect will rear its head...
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 16th October 2017 at 02:58 AM.

Oud Picante wearing today. When I did one spray on my arm I understood why he named this Oud Picante. The cumin made me think of Mexican food. When I did my usual 4/5 sprays that wasn't the case so much. The coffee note combined with the Oud was what jumped out at me. I actually liked both versions! This is a well blended and well balanced fragrance. In general, I like Oudh to be offset with compatible notes so the Oud doesn't become overbearing. As it wore on the Oud would pair up with other notes and they would peek out. Sometimes the cumin, sometimes the tobacco and all enjoyable. Based on notes this one had my least expectations and that's always good. Based on one wearing each I would probably pick this over Oud Zen just because it is more multidimensional.

They're definitely both unique and I would imagine both smelling different on others, especially Blackbird!

I said that AA reminded me of Blackbird, not that they are twins or duplicates by any stretch of the imagination. But I'm wearing them both today and I still think that they are playing in the same unusual ball park. Blackbird is darker, oilier, and more urban, while AA is lighter and more floral, but there is a sort of airy, but oudy marine thing going on with both that makes them odd and almost indefinable in the same kind of way. I can't think of any other scents that smell like either of them. I am a fan of both and think they're highly imaginative and practically unique.

Atlantic Ambergris reviewed by Kafkaesque:

http://www.kafkaesqueblog.com/2017/1...tic-ambergris/
    Currently wearing: Ruh by Pekji

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast