Code of Conduct
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Areej le Doré : The Official Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by exoticscents View Post
    I would have to say Oud Zen. Ouch :-)

On the other hand, I wore Flux de Fleur. I will need time with it. The artisanal One Million smell is a bit confusing. I find the opening with the mandarin vibes from Green Hojari a bit unfitting. I also get hints of Atlantic Ambergris in the base. I don't know why. I was preparing myself to be blown away but, perhaps, another day :-). The previous Oud Zen has stolen my heart with the romantic duo of Indian Oud and Sandal in the drier phases. The magnificence of pure materials just melts my Oriental heart. Pure Bliss.
    Good to know. Thank you for your reply.
    Veni, Vidi, Ego Emit.
    ( I came, I saw, I purchased. )

Wore Oud Zen today. I'm not initiated into the exotic scents at this point in my fragrance journey, so please excuse me for my obvious newbieness.

Oud Zen is big and loud. I only sprayed one shot on the top of my left wrist, and it projects like a nuclear reactor! Incredible projection! The sillage is also very impressive. I get a strong smell of burned rubber along with an animalic funk and an underlying burned wood smell as well. This lasted through the wear for about the first 7 hours, then it mellowed a bit. Sweetness also stepped in at about the 7 hour mark and increased from there. I still pick up the animalic and the wood at the 8.5 hour mark, but not the burned aspects so much. Afraid I wouldn't wear this consistently...
    Last edited by Scent Detective; 9th November 2017 at 03:10 AM.
    Currently wearing: Bowmakers by D.S. & Durga

Oud Zen is extraordinary, almost a sporadic case of perfumery. Oud Picante is right there as well. Those are the bottles I bought and they're the ones I wear the most, so I mentioned them first. Inverno Russo's top-down design is probably as good as anything I've known and it's possibly the strangest fragrance ever made. Smells like an array of things. After a few hours on fabric it's kind of of a more complex, more oriental L'Artisan's Dzing!.It feels like an alien and it's a hell of a fragrance .The words "ancient" and "dust" have been used to describe Flux de Fleur. They're appropriate. FdF is dark, tranquil and intelligent. After wearing it for an hour or two it feels like a soothing dust that makes me feel pleased and satisfied. Looking forward to Atlantic Ambergris. Hard to believe but it looks like everything this guy makes is good.
    Last edited by pluran; 12th November 2017 at 08:52 PM. Reason: hoe are the to

Basenotes Plus

Today I layered one spray each of Ottoman Empire and Oud Zen to the back of my neck. The mixture smells great!
    Veni, Vidi, Ego Emit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vmaster View Post
    Today I layered one spray each of Ottoman Empire and Oud Zen to the back of my neck. The mixture smells great!
    Awesome combo, I bet. Oud Zen makes a good layering partner due to its monolithic structure IMO. Unfortunately I have none left. I’d love to try it with Inverno Russo which could do with something extra to punch perforations on its sugar-frosted wall. Maybe I’ll pair it with Musk Rose attar...
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Smellcheck

It appears that ClaireV published a lengthy review of Flux de Fleurs just two days after I tested it last weekend. I really, really wish I had been able to read this before I tried my sample, because it explains a lot about the structure of the scent and the ways its components differ from traditional Western perfumery.

http://takeonethingoff.com/blog/2017...eurs-a-review/

And for anyone who (like me) hasn't seen it yet, she also previously wrote a lengthy essay on Areej's scents and FeelOud. I plan to re-read it carefully before venturing into the oud and sandalwood oils.

http://takeonethingoff.com/blog/2017...-extrait-form/

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    It appears that ClaireV published a lengthy review of Flux de Fleurs just two days after I tested it last weekend. I really, really wish I had been able to read this before I tried my sample, because it explains a lot about the structure of the scent and the ways its components differ from traditional Western perfumery.

And for anyone who (like me) hasn't seen it yet, she also previously wrote a lengthy essay on Areej's scents and FeelOud. I plan to re-read it carefully before venturing into the oud and sandalwood oils.

Thanks for the links.

Basenotes Plus

Some ouds, like Cambodi, are easy to enjoy from your first sniff. Other ouds, like some from India and China, will be off-putting to newcomers at first and require multiple wearings to fully appreciate (and get used to) the scent. It would be the same for someone that has never drunk wine being given an expensive aged dry wine. It tastes gross at first, then after a few glasses, you begin to appreciate the various flavors. It just takes time.

Claire's review of Flux de Fleurs is a wonderful read. She has a great way with words.
    Last edited by Vmaster; 12th November 2017 at 02:14 AM.
    Veni, Vidi, Ego Emit.

Who better to share this with but the amazing folks at Basenotes? I just received my package from Russian Adam (DHL by the way) and I wanted to share how wonderful he is/was to purchase from. Really, though, I am just adding a +1 to all of the positive comments that have been made about him already here. My precioussssssss (Atlantic Ambergris) arrived safe and sound today, along with Bengal Sandal Aira from FeelOud (blind buy, smells amazing, but no comments - Areej thread Plus I haven't tried it yet :P). The packaging (that box!! Who could DARE throw that away! lol) is gorgeous. And the icing on the cake? The green glass on the top of the cap! I hadn't expected that! A beautiful touch, really... I'm uploading a picture.

I appreciated all of the four in the sample set and thought they were all excellent perfumes, however AA was The One for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Looks like an amazing haul, pfranka! Glad to see Atlantic Ambergris getting some love. I’m enjoying it with more frequent wearings.

@Cook.bot:Thanks for the link to ClaireV’s illuminating review of Flux de Fleur. I too find the Indian influence the strongest within the composition, which is not that surprising given the incorporation of shamama attar. I wish the florals have greater tenacity though.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 12th November 2017 at 04:08 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Yes, indeed, ClaireV clarifies (no pun intended) quite a bit here, and I do think that with this most recent batch of Areej fragrances, we 'westerners' may need a bit of re-educating in order to fully appreciate and/or understand both the style and the ingredients being highlighted.

Smellcheck

Quote Originally Posted by pfranka View Post
    The packaging (that box!! Who could DARE throw that away! lol) is gorgeous.
    Yes, that is stunning. Reminds one of the old fabric-lined boxes of Guerlain and Patou.

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    with this most recent batch of Areej fragrances, we 'westerners' may need a bit of re-educating
    For me it's probably going to take more than "a bit". But I'll keep trying; I really want to fall in love with something from this commendable house.

User of Toilet Water

FYI: Luckyscent is now offering Areej le Dore samples at $10 ($8 for Oud Picante) for .5ml.

And after wearing Atlantic Ambergris from my sample yesterday I decided to go ahead and order it and Oud Picante. I still don't understand AA, but I really enjoyed it. It was airy like something fresh and clean with some spices added. It seemed much less barbershoppy now.
    Last edited by Bangkok Hound; 13th November 2017 at 01:51 AM.
    Currently wearing: Opus II by Amouage

Wow...that is a beautiful bottle and box! Atlantic Ambergris is the one I want to try next. I'll be getting a sample sometime soon...
    Currently wearing: Bowmakers by D.S. & Durga

flex de fleur is getting better and better. in a few years time, it will be completely different from what it is today.

Wearing Oud Zen today. I really dig the transition from heavy funky wood to a rich and creamy wood with wafts of powder and saffron. The oud is absolutely fantastic in this fragrance. It's odd as I do see how some find the oud in this more demanding, but I've found that for myself it tends to let the other "instruments" come forward in the symphony as well. Love it. Very glad I bought a back up of this.

Wore Atlantic Ambergris yesterday and it doesn't seem to be working for me. It's a very unique fragrance and a good one at that with a myriad of amazing ingredients...just not enjoy it as much as the Ouds of the line.

User of Toilet Water

Currently wearing: Opus II by Amouage

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    Thanks for this .

Blog Entries

^ ^ Looking good, Nikhil! The ‘tache suits you ever so well.

Ahahaha thank you so much my friends. Very kind of you :-) Means a lot.
    Currently wearing: Musk Aoud by Roja Dove

Blog Entries

Wore 2 sprays of Inverno Russo yesterday - 1 shot to the chest under my shirt and another to the crook of one arm. It’s been raining a lot recently so the weather was blissfully cool. I found the florals sticking around longer than usual though the rose remained elusive throughout. I caught whiffs every now and then - figured what I put on was perfectly calibrated to perform at such levels. The deer musk + oud combo in the heart worked a real treat this time, musky sweet and a touch powdery, the animalics purring in the background, comfortably cosy. Had a feeling I was probably smelling as ‘huggable’ as I would ever be but too bad I had to spend the day alone so I couldn’t test that ‘theory’.

Overall I must say this is a fragrance especially suited for Fall and Winter. Or indoors with sufficiently cool air-conditioning.

Does the perfumer have any plans to bring Siberian Musk back? Even if in a slightly different formulation.

According to my correspondence and instagram posts, I believe so.

Quote Originally Posted by litworth View Post
    Does the perfumer have any plans to bring Siberian Musk back? Even if in a slightly different formulation.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    According to my correspondence and instagram posts, I believe so.
    Thanks for replying.

Read a nice article @ fragrantica:

https://www.fragrantica.com/news/Rus...in--10193.html

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ace11 View Post
    Thank you for the link. Sergey was pretty spot on with his analyses IMO
    and wasted few words.

User of Toilet Water