Code of Conduct
Page 60 of 98 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 70 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,800 of 2925
    Basenotes Member

Default Re: Areej le Doré : The Official Discussion Thread

My sample set arrived and I have all four scents on different parts of my arm. I started with Malik, Oud, Koh and lastly Baikal. But I'll sniff a bit longer before I say anything...IMG_20181031_191349.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Scent Detective View Post
    Just ordered the sample set and a bottle of Baikal Gris. I believe this is the coniferous fragrance Russian Adam told me he was working on a while back. I had asked him if he would consider making such a fragrance, and he said he was in the process of doing so. Looking forward to his interpretation.
    Check his recent Instagram post. Russian Fir... It is the one. Very hopeful that this will be a hit.
    Currently wearing: Layton by Parfums de Marly

That's a nice looking sample set.

Quote Originally Posted by Tosef View Post
    My sample set arrived and I have all four scents on different parts of my arm. I started with Malik, Oud, Koh and lastly Baikal. But I'll sniff a bit longer before I say anything...IMG_20181031_191349.jpg

Supposed to get my sample set today, really looking forward to it.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Scent Detective View Post
    ...a bottle of Baikal Gris. I believe this is the coniferous fragrance Russian Adam told me he was working on a while back. I had asked him if he would consider making such a fragrance, and he said he was in the process of doing so. Looking forward to his interpretation.
    Oh then this sounds even better now!
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

For me if you order via DHL on mon/tues, you should get it by Friday or Saturday . If it's Wednesday, then it'll probably end up being Monday. This all depends on how your customs operate, as well as local holidays / religious days that might impede the speed of your delivery.

For those that have received these already.....any first impressions?!

Basenotes Plus

New and extended review of ALD's newest rose oud frag:

http://www.kafkaesqueblog.com/2018/1...malik-al-taif/

I put a maple stick, fresh rose petal, and 50 cents under my pillow and also woke up to gifts from the Areej Fairy.

I started out with the one I presumed I'd dislike the most (Koh-I-Noor). Take this review with a grain of salt, many of them I had to edit right as I finished writing about them because the scent had already changed character in the time it took me to get my thoughts down.

Koh-I-Noor:Very rich floral, and as someone who has not liked Areej's past floral offerings I can already tell that this will not be getting regular reaches from me but it is far FAR more wearable than indolis or walimah. It's nowhere near as bitter. To be quite frank, it's fascinating that this smells as raw as it does. If you closed your eyes and didn't know any better you would swear without doubt that someone was holding a bouquet of flowers under your nose. And now 5 minutes in I'm getting some nice sandalwood blended in as well... okay the more this dries down the less floral it becomes and the more of a blend it is between the sandalwood, deer musk, tonka bean and florals. I can't immediately identify when I'd wear this, but it didn't make me gag like indolis did, I can tell you that much.

Oud Luwak: Okay... so I was hearing that apparently this was described as "smokey". But I don't really get that, if anything Russian oud gives me more smokey vibes than this. Russian oud gives me a dry dusty sort of character. This is somewhere between Russian Oud and EO #1. A girl I was briefly seeing hated when I'd climb into bed with Russian oud. I find this to be far more wearable. No chocolate but I'm definitely getting a deep coffee/agarwood note. This isn't like Russian Oud in the slightest though. I keep sniffing my hand while looking at the note card but it's just a deep dark delicious oud. To those familiar with oud oils there is zero barnyard, and zero "rubberiness". I get a tiny bit of the Cedarwood and Coffee the rest is just a beautiful blend of dark ouds. Damn, it's getting darker and richer by the minute without ever getting skanky. Will be a regular wear for me.

Malik Al Taif:The first hit is a rose so rich that it actually comes off like he's got some raspberry in here. wow. A few minutes in no change yet, you're just sort of dunked into this rich rosy paradise. It comes off sweet. Not sweet like a MFK Oud Satin Mood sort of way, but sweet like Roja's UAE or Kuwait. I'm chuckling as I'm smelling it because for some reason whenever I smell it I just feel happy (???). This some how manages to be extremely beautiful while being entirely unisex. This is a spring/summer blue skies and sunny sort of fragrance. The type of fragrance you'd wear your freshies during. (Virgin Island Water, Roja Vetiver). I think the saffron backing is what's keeping it from falling into fem category. The saffron seems to provide this "toasty" character. If you're one of those guys that loves baccarat 540 extrait you may have found a replacement for your date night frag.

Baikal Ambergris:blast of ambergris and a note I can only assume is the listed "Russian fir balsam". I may have to differ to kafkaesque's blog to figure out what the hell is going on. I don't have enough experience with ambergris to figure out what is what The Russian Fir Balsam adds a crisp somewhat cold temp "christmas tree" smell. This is someone's fall/winter signature scent without question though. What I assume to be the ambergris/russian fir opening is just easier to digest than Bortnikoff's Vetiver Nocturne. That said, I think Vetiver Nocturne's dry down is more stunning. about 5 minutes in now and the Oakmoss is really coming out. This is a great scent. I can tell that this is going to be my winter day time daily driver, and oud luwak is going to be my winter night time daily driver. Hold on about what I said about the Vetiver Nocturne having the better dry down. This is starting to become just a phenomenal mix of cedar wood, Oakmoss, and the ambergris opening. while this sits on skin very light I see this more masculine than feminine or unisex.

General first impression summary: Fanbois rejoice. This is the exact opposite of Creed releasing Viking (most underwhelming release ever). Oud Luwak steps out on it's own to be a complex, enjoyable, and publicly wearable oud with zero skank or rubber tire notes. Malik Al Taif Provides a beautiful bright spring/summer unisex frag. Baikal Ambergris Has your fall/winter signature scent needs taken care of with a lightly woody, ultimately oakmoss&ambergris mix. and Koh-I-Noor, a delicious sandalwood/floral that doesn't make my face shrivel up from bitterness but will still be getting sold off by me because I wouldn't ever be in a situation t wear this chit. Not sure which I'd identify as "the best" as the 3 I'm keeping have completely different character and are enjoyable in different ways. Will take a few more wears. CHEERS!

sidenote: Vetiver Nocturne, Oud Maximus, and L'Heure Exquise available on Bortnikoff's website now
    Last edited by wood&leather; 1st November 2018 at 02:35 AM.
    Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: Bonheur by Bortnikoff

For Context: I'm doing an initial ranking of the last 2 Areej and Last 2 Bortnikoff collections in my head and it's kind of working out to be something like

1: Russian Oud
    2: Bonheur
    3: Vetiver Nocturne
    4: Malik Al Taif
    5: Baikal Gris
    6:Oud Maximus / Oud Luwak (tie)
    7: Russian Musk
    8: L'heure Exquise
    9: Coup de Foudre
    10: Walimah, Mysterious Oud

Ranking not being on quality of the creation but rather how much I enjoy smelling them.

Edit: If I had to rank them in order of which I think are more "crowd pleasing": Bonheur > Malik Al Taif > Baikal Gris > L'heure Exquise > Oud Luwak > Rest
    Last edited by wood&leather; 1st November 2018 at 02:44 AM.
    Don't stank.

Basenotes Member

Great first impressions - thanks for that!

Quote Originally Posted by wood&leather View Post
    I put a maple stick, fresh rose petal, and 50 cents under my pillow and also woke up to gifts from the Areej Fairy.

I started out with the one I presumed I'd dislike the most (Koh-I-Noor). Take this review with a grain of salt, many of them I had to edit right as I finished writing about them because the scent had already changed character in the time it took me to get my thoughts down.

Koh-I-Noor:Very rich floral, and as someone who has not liked Areej's past floral offerings I can already tell that this will not be getting regular reaches from me but it is far FAR more wearable than indolis or walimah. It's nowhere near as bitter. To be quite frank, it's fascinating that this smells as raw as it does. If you closed your eyes and didn't know any better you would swear without doubt that someone was holding a bouquet of flowers under your nose. And now 5 minutes in I'm getting some nice sandalwood blended in as well... okay the more this dries down the less floral it becomes and the more of a blend it is between the sandalwood, deer musk, tonka bean and florals. I can't immediately identify when I'd wear this, but it didn't make me gag like indolis did, I can tell you that much.

Oud Luwak: Okay... so I was hearing that apparently this was described as "smokey". But I don't really get that, if anything Russian oud gives me more smokey vibes than this. Russian oud gives me a dry dusty sort of character. This is somewhere between Russian Oud and EO #1. A girl I was briefly seeing hated when I'd climb into bed with Russian oud. I find this to be far more wearable. No chocolate but I'm definitely getting a deep coffee/agarwood note. This isn't like Russian Oud in the slightest though. I keep sniffing my hand while looking at the note card but it's just a deep dark delicious oud. To those familiar with oud oils there is zero barnyard, and zero "rubberiness". I get a tiny bit of the Cedarwood and Coffee the rest is just a beautiful blend of dark ouds. Damn, it's getting darker and richer by the minute without ever getting skanky. Will be a regular wear for me.

Malik Al Taif:The first hit is a rose so rich that it actually comes off like he's got some raspberry in here. wow. A few minutes in no change yet, you're just sort of dunked into this rich rosy paradise. It comes off sweet. Not sweet like a MFK Oud Satin Mood sort of way, but sweet like Roja's UAE or Kuwait. I'm chuckling as I'm smelling it because for some reason whenever I smell it I just feel happy (???). This some how manages to be extremely beautiful while being entirely unisex. This is a spring/summer blue skies and sunny sort of fragrance. The type of fragrance you'd wear your freshies during. (Virgin Island Water, Roja Vetiver). I think the saffron backing is what's keeping it from falling into fem category. The saffron seems to provide this "toasty" character. If you're one of those guys that loves baccarat 540 extrait you may have found a replacement for your date night frag.

Baikal Ambergris:blast of ambergris and a note I can only assume is the listed "Russian fir balsam". I may have to differ to kafkaesque's blog to figure out what the hell is going on. I don't have enough experience with ambergris to figure out what is what . This is someone's fall/winter signature scent without question though. What I assume to be the ambergris/russian fir opening is just easier to digest than Bortnikoff's Vetiver Nocturne. That said, I think Vetiver Nocturne's dry down is more stunning. about 5 minutes in now and the Oakmoss is really coming out. This is a great scent. I can tell that this is going to be my winter day time daily driver, and oud luwak is going to be my winter night time daily driver. Hold on about what I said about the Vetiver Nocturne having the better dry down. This is starting to become just a phenomenal mix of cedar wood, Oakmoss, and the ambergris opening. while this sits on skin very light I see this more masculine than feminine or unisex.

General first impression summary: Fanbois rejoice. This is the exact opposite of Creed releasing Viking (most underwhelming release ever). Oud Luwak steps out on it's own to be a complex, enjoyable, and publicly wearable oud with zero skank or rubber tire notes. Malik Al Taif Provides a beautiful bright spring/summer unisex frag. Baikal Ambergris Has your fall/winter signature scent needs taken care of with a lightly woody, ultimately oakmoss&ambergris mix. and Koh-I-Noor, a delicious sandalwood/floral that doesn't make my face shrivel up from bitterness but will still be getting sold off by me because I wouldn't ever be in a situation t wear this chit. Not sure which I'd identify as "the best" as the 3 I'm keeping have completely different character and are enjoyable in different ways. Will take a few more wears. CHEERS!

sidenote: Vetiver Nocturne, Oud Maximus, and L'Heure Exquise available on Bortnikoff's website now
    Great detailed review,as far koh i noor concerned u cant just become from a YouTube reviewer to a designer of a fragrance,

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 dual sim using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rock_mac View Post
    Great detailed review,as far koh i noor concerned u cant just become from a YouTube reviewer to a designer of a fragrance,

I've got to pause you there to say you need to put some more respek on Nikhil's name lol. He's not some rando bro-tuber pumping out "top 10 frags to pull chicks" reviews. Nikhil is the type of guy to buy pure single note extracts or absolutes just to train his nose better so that he can better understand other fragrances. In fact, the only thing probably stopping Nikhil from launching his own successful line is that he already has a full-time job (doctor I believe).

I also say with full transparency that I've never cared for Areej Le Dore's previous florals (Walimah and Indolis), that's why I started with Koh-I-Noor first in the review. All things considered, it's the most likable Areej floral I've encountered to date but still not my cup of tea.
    Don't stank.

I know what he does and what kind of person he is now,to add to that to design ،a fragrance,ideas it takes lot of experience and testing of years to make a good product ,
    To tell u more, he envies Jeremy for eg and says bad about him lol when never met him personally, he thinks all perfume magic is in india, and the western designers or makers are fool.
    I've got to pause you there to say you need to put some more respek on Nikhil's name lol. He's not some rando bro-tuber pumping out "top 10 frags to pull chicks" reviews. Nikhil is the type of guy to buy pure single note extracts or absolutes just to train his nose better so that he can better understand other fragrances. In fact, the only thing probably stopping Nikhil from launching his own successful line is that he already has a full-time job (doctor I believe).

I also say with full transparency that I've never cared for Areej Le Dore's previous florals (Walimah and Indolis), that's why I started with Koh-I-Noor first in the review. All things considered, it's the most likable Areej floral I've encountered to date but still not my cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by rock_mac View Post
    To tell u more, he envies Jeremy for eg and says bad about him lol when never met him personally, he thinks all perfume magic is in india, and the western designers or makers are fool.
    I could activate a huge thread derail by commenting on my opinions of Jeremy Fragrances, but I'll just politely accept your views and keep the thread on topic. Cheers
    Don't stank.

Very nice reviews, W&L!

I'd most like to try Baikal Gris. I don't think I've smelled real, raw ambergris, and I'm very curious. Your description sounds tempting, and I never did get to try the last ambergris-themed release, Atlantic Ambergris (were there others?). As I recall, it took awhile for that the community to make sense of that one, and it ended up gaining respect despite being a challenge. Sounds like Baikal might be a little more tame. Have you smelled AA to compare its take on the note?
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I could activate a huge thread derail by commenting on my opinions of Jeremy Fragrances, but I'll just politely accept your views and keep the thread on topic. Cheers
    They make a lovely ignore button for situations like this. Good show keeping your cool against a troll attempt. I like Areej too. Never sniffed any Bortnikoffs as of yet.
    oh look, I have a signature

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    They make a lovely ignore button for situations like this. Good show keeping your cool against a troll attempt. I like Areej too. Never sniffed any Bortnikoffs as of yet.
    Troll attempt?

Basenotes Plus

This sounds promising so far. Can't wait for my samples to arrive next week.

My dear everyone got their own opinions

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Very nice reviews, W&L!

I'd most like to try Baikal Gris. I don't think I've smelled real, raw ambergris, and I'm very curious. Your description sounds tempting, and I never did get to try the last ambergris-themed release, Atlantic Ambergris (were there others?). As I recall, it took awhile for that the community to make sense of that one, and it ended up gaining respect despite being a challenge. Sounds like Baikal might be a little more tame. Have you smelled AA to compare its take on the note?
    in regards to the bolded that's actually a really interesting point that I failed to acknowledge, but now that I think about it, this entire collection is far less "brutal" than areej's past collections. That's really the only way I can describe it. Russian Oud, Inverno Russo, and even Walimah to a certain degree were just beasty, not in projection but in the character of the fragrances. Sadly, I have never tried AA but Oud Luwak, Baikal Gris, and Koh I Noor seem to be more nuanced and dare I say crowd pleasing?
    Don't stank.

in regards to the bolded that's actually a really interesting point that I failed to acknowledge, but now that I think about it, this entire collection is far less "brutal" than areej's past collections. That's really the only way I can describe it. Russian Oud, Inverno Russo, and even Walimah to a certain degree were just beasty, not in projection but in the character of the fragrances. Sadly, I have never tried AA but Oud Luwak, Baikal Gris, and Koh I Noor seem to be more nuanced and dare I say crowd pleasing?
    I got that sense from looking at the listed notes and now from reading Kafkaesque and your writeups. It's smart change of direction for Russian Adam to try, and it might actually be more difficult for him to pull of with some of these rowdy materials. I've admired his works for awhile for their materials, but I think the word you used, "brutal," is appropriate for a number of them. They require a certain olfactory adjustment period. Not a bad thing, but it's good to weave in some more "composed" feeling scents that use such wonderful materials but are a little more chilled out.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    New and extended review of ALD's newest rose oud frag:

http://www.kafkaesqueblog.com/2018/1...malik-al-taif/
    A review like that, i might just get 2 more...

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I like Areej too. Never sniffed any Bortnikoffs as of yet.
    Bortnikoff has sample sets from collection 1 an 2 available on his site now. My favorites in order are 1) Bonheur 2) Toss up between Oud Maximus/Vetiver Nocturne 3) L'heure Exquise 4) Coupe de Foudre 5) Mysterious Oud which I borderline hate

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Still waiting on mine to ship...should have waited to order from Luckyscent and save the money.
    I bought the full bottles on his site, and they apparently shipped yesterday. You'll get the full bottles before lucky scent does. I just saw the sample set pop up on their site early and decided to snag em cause god knows when my bottles will get through customs.

I think the word you used, "brutal," is appropriate for a number of them. They require a certain olfactory adjustment period. Not a bad thing, but it's good to weave in some more "composed" feeling scents that use such wonderful materials but are a little more chilled out.
    too much real life. sometimes I really like spraying a single spray of Russian oud on my chest before going to bed. Other nights I've reached for the bottle, stopped mid-reach and thought "good god, no" and reached for something like Creation-E which is way more "plush" in character.

russian oud is like doing a shot of jack daniels. creation-e is like sipping brandy. love both but depends on my mood.
    Don't stank.

Quote Originally Posted by U2u View Post
    Check his recent Instagram post. Russian Fir... It is the one. Very hopeful that this will be a hit.
    Sweet! Thanks for the "conifer"mation! Sorry for the bad pun...

I'm very excited to try this one!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Oh then this sounds even better now!
    I know...I'm very hopeful!

Basenotes Member

Very nice reviews, W&L!

Fortunately, I have a FB of AA and of course this was my reference point when testing Baikal Gris yesterday evening. The Ambergris in AA, especially in the opening, is way more in your face and pronounced then in Baikal. Baikal opens with more green notes (fir and violet leaf). AA speaks to me like no other perfume, that deep oceanic (not "aquatic" but real deep blue salty sea) smell in it is breath-taking and triggers a lot of good memories of me from my childhood vacations. So, I think what I'm trying to say is that to me, at least after first test, Baikal Gris is not as Ambergris focused as AA.

Basenotes Member

Bortnikoff has sample sets from collection 1 an 2 available on his site now. My favorites in order are 1) Bonheur 2) Toss up between Oud Maximus/Vetiver Nocturne 3) L'heure Exquise 4) Coupe de Foudre 5) Mysterious Oud which I borderline hate.
    That's interesting! For me it was:
    1) Oud Maximus
    2) Mysterious Oud
    3) L'heure Exquisite (that drydown is heavenly ��)
    4) Bonheur
    5) Vetiver Nocturne
    6) Coup de Foudre

I have to say tho, that I have tested all of them just one time so far. So the ranking might change again...

Quote Originally Posted by Tosef View Post
    The Ambergris in AA, especially in the opening, is way more in your face and pronounced then in Baikal. Baikal opens with more green notes (fir and violet leaf). AA speaks to me like no other perfume, that deep oceanic (not "aquatic" but real deep blue salty sea) smell in it
    That pretty much settles it. It sounds like you're also noticing that this ALD collection seems more nuanced and composed as opposed to "in your face" or "brutal" as his previous collections. Will be interesting how the community as a whole interprets and accepts this. Strifeknot will be happy lol, he mentioned that he preferred Bortnikoff cause his frags were more well composed.

Edit: I like your top 6 list. And I completely get it (excluding Mysterious Oud cause it doesn't do anything great for me personally). I love Oud Maximus, but it's kind of like a novelty fragrance for me. That parmesan/cheese opening is just so damn strong that I feel I can only enjoy it at home. Although its' dry down is considerably more pleasant. I enjoyed l'heure exquise as well but to me it felt like "Tame and Conservative Inverno Russo" and I couldn't pull my interpretation away from that so I docked it a few points. Every non-frag enthusiast that gets a nose on my bonheur bottle goes crazy over it though. Give Vetiver Nocturne another shot. At first I hated it because the opening can be "old womanesque" with the strong green fougére, but eventually some sandalwood and florals get added in and it's heavenly. I'll admit, the opening on VN is tough though.
    Don't stank.

Page 60 of 98 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 70 ... LastLast