Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Vintage Bel Ami

  1. #1
    Basenotes Member travis453's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    63

    Default Vintage Bel Ami

    I started an ISO post months ago which eventually got deleted because of me not meeting marketplace criteria. However, since then, I've managed to get every bottle through probing the internet like I'm the FBI.

    Of the three fragrances I was after, one truly stands out. The vintage shaker bottle of Bel Ami. The hype surrounding this fragrance is completely necessary. I have not smelled such a well balanced fragrance in my life. The current Bel Ami formulation is basically a diet version of the original, linear and somewhat harsh. The original is full bodied, smooth, and endlessly complex. I strongly recommend purchasing a bottle! This fragrance is a true benchmark in quality and complexity.

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    226,595

    Default Re: Vintage Bel Ami

    I agree. It's a classic and glad to have a bottle.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Vintage Bel Ami

    How does it smell like?

  4. #4
    Lifelong Sniffaholic
    30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    13,772
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Vintage Bel Ami

    This is my favorite fragrance to smell on my husband.

  5. #5
    Basenotes Member travis453's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: Vintage Bel Ami

    Quote Originally Posted by Nino View Post
    How does it smell like?
    Simply put, oak moss and leather. If you smell the current formulation, then imagine a much creamier, fuller version. I'm not kidding when I say the new one is like a diet. It is most easily put as Diet Coke vs Coca-Cola. Such a smooth leather note in the vintage. I get the same smoothness from the leather in the vintage Eau d'Hermes.

  6. #6
    Basenotes Plus
    purecaramel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    in a garden with 7 senses
    Posts
    2,974

    Default Re: Vintage Bel Ami

    Quote Originally Posted by travis453 View Post
    Simply put, oak moss and leather. If you smell the current formulation, then imagine a much creamier, fuller version. I'm not kidding when I say the new one is like a diet. It is most easily put as Diet Coke vs Coca-Cola. Such a smooth leather note in the vintage. I get the same smoothness from the leather in the vintage Eau d'Hermes.
    This.
    If you read a few of the many reviews of this on Basenotes, you may get an idea. It's a Classic Leather base , spiced up luxuriously.
    Similar leathers can be found in Maxim's pour Homme and Missoni uomo.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Ho Hang Club by Balenciaga

  7. #7
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    3,751

    Default Re: Vintage Bel Ami

    Good points on Bel Ami, and a nice shout-out for Eau d'Hermes.

  8. #8
    Basenotes Plus
    purecaramel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    in a garden with 7 senses
    Posts
    2,974

    Default Re: Vintage Bel Ami

    Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    This.
    If you read a few of the many reviews of this on Basenotes, you may get an idea. It's a Classic Leather base , spiced up luxuriously.
    Similar leathers can be found in Maxim's pour Homme and Missoni uomo.
    Proviso. I am one of those, who view this fragrance, in Vintage, to be a Masterpiece of Masculine Perfumery.
    Up there with Patou and Bugatti 1992.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Ho Hang Club by Balenciaga

  9. #9

    Default Re: Vintage Bel Ami

    I had it at one time. Smelled very similar to Aramis (vintage) so I sold it.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

    Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait


    My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

    http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

  10. #10
    Basenotes Plus
    purecaramel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    in a garden with 7 senses
    Posts
    2,974

    Default Re: Vintage Bel Ami

    Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    I had it at one time. Smelled very similar to Aramis (vintage) so I sold it.
    How wonderful this hobby is, in it's subjectivity. When I first sniffed Aramis, in 1968, I dismissed it as Woman's perfume. In later year's, sniffing I realized that my first impressions held. I leave it to the girls. I 'll take their Cabochard, particularily Vintage perfume, instead.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Ho Hang Club by Balenciaga

  11. #11
    Dependent cytherian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    On a cliff overlooking Manhattan
    Posts
    3,204

    Default Re: Vintage Bel Ami

    Quote Originally Posted by travis453 View Post
    Of the three fragrances I was after, one truly stands out. The vintage shaker bottle of Bel Ami. The hype surrounding this fragrance is completely necessary. I have not smelled such a well balanced fragrance in my life. The current Bel Ami formulation is basically a diet version of the original, linear and somewhat harsh. The original is full bodied, smooth, and endlessly complex. I strongly recommend purchasing a bottle! This fragrance is a true benchmark in quality and complexity.
    Congrats on getting it finally. Definitely a terrific fragrance, enough that it seems to have inspired others, such as Roja Dove's Fetish Pour Homme. The current is actually pretty good on its own, but you have to appreciate it without the original in mind... otherwise you feel sorely disappointed. Some have said it's like a "diet" version.
    Click HERE for sales of: YSL KOUROS (vintage), CHANEL Antaeus A/S (vintage), Hermes Equipage, CHANEL Egoiste (vintage), Carven Vetiver, and many others!

  12. #12
    Basenotes Plus
    purecaramel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    in a garden with 7 senses
    Posts
    2,974

    Default Re: Vintage Bel Ami

    Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    Congrats on getting it finally. Definitely a terrific fragrance, enough that it seems to have inspired others, such as Roja Dove's Fetish Pour Homme. The current is actually pretty good on its own, but you have to appreciate it without the original in mind... otherwise you feel sorely disappointed. Some have said it's like a "diet" version.
    Yes would say this up until about 2014-15.

    The latest seems a huge disappointment, more like a facsimile, with a very generic, grating, wood drydown.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Ho Hang Club by Balenciaga

  13. #13
    Super Member Cevenol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Toronto, Bahia, Languedoc
    Posts
    470

    Default Re: Vintage Bel Ami

    Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    This.
    If you read a few of the many reviews of this on Basenotes, you may get an idea. It's a Classic Leather base , spiced up luxuriously.
    Similar leathers can be found in Maxim's pour Homme and Missoni uomo.
    Do you mean Maxim's is on par, or similar, or a replacement? I'm on the look out for a shaker.
    Currently wearing: Macassar by Rochas

  14. #14

    Default Re: Vintage Bel Ami

    Love it... My favorite fragrance in my collection, hands down. In terms of Maxim's PH, it's a wonderful fragrance but wears differently from Bel Ami. IMO, it wouldn't be redundant to have both in your collection if you're into leather fragrances.

    Additionally, Coach Leatherware 01 is my favorite "summer leather." It has been discontinued, but can be found with a bit a hunting.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

    Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Aoud Vanille by Mancera

  15. #15
    Super Member Cevenol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Toronto, Bahia, Languedoc
    Posts
    470

    Default Re: Vintage Bel Ami

    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    Love it... My favorite fragrance in my collection, hands down. In terms of Maxim's PH, it's a wonderful fragrance but wears differently from Bel Ami. IMO, it wouldn't be redundant to have both in your collection if you're into leather fragrances.

    Additionally, Coach Leatherware 01 is my favorite "summer leather." It has been discontinued, but can be found with a bit a hunting.
    Nice, I'd like to complete the Maxim's, Moschino, Bel Ami trifecta as they often seem to come up together sometimes
    Currently wearing: Macassar by Rochas

  16. #16
    Always be smelling
    epapsiou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Oud Forest
    Posts
    3,570

    Default Re: Vintage Bel Ami

    Quote Originally Posted by Cevenol View Post
    Nice, I'd like to complete the Maxim's, Moschino, Bel Ami trifecta as they often seem to come up together sometimes
    Because they are the best of that genre.
    Moschino is the best followed by BelAmi.
    Maxim is one notch below them.
    Belami modern is good too. The problem is the name. They should have named it Belami Fresh and it would not get any hate from us here.

    Like the Belami Vetiver. Gets a lot of love.

  17. #17
    Dependent Diddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Posts
    3,131

    Default Re: Vintage Bel Ami

    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    Love it... My favorite fragrance in my collection, hands down. .
    You have a very nice collection, and that's a big statement. And I can totally understand it.


    BTW, thank you so very much for introducing me to Leatherware No. 1!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Dependent Monsieur Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Lower Franconia
    Posts
    3,349

    Default Re: Vintage Bel Ami

    Quote Originally Posted by Cevenol View Post
    Do you mean Maxim's is on par, or similar, or a replacement? I'm on the look out for a shaker.
    None of the above

  19. #19
    Basenotes Plus
    purecaramel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    in a garden with 7 senses
    Posts
    2,974

    Default Re: Vintage Bel Ami

    Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    None of the above
    The order of precendance according to Camel
    Bel Ami shakers
    Moschino pour Homme, Dior Jules lifts it's leg somewhere in here.
    Maxim's pour Homme
    Missoni Uomo
    Bel Ami Broad Shoulder bottle.
    Last edited by purecaramel; 18th July 2017 at 06:02 PM.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Ho Hang Club by Balenciaga

  20. #20
    Super Member Cevenol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Toronto, Bahia, Languedoc
    Posts
    470

    Default Re: Vintage Bel Ami

    I was wearing Maxim's yesterday after reading this thread and I enjoyed it, later on went for a bit of Moschino as it'd been awhile, Moschino is much much better imo.
    Might pick up a bottle of Jules later this summer in Paris, I think I read here they did a good job with the current one. I find it hard to believe because Dior
    Currently wearing: Macassar by Rochas

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 5th January 2017, 07:38 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16th January 2016, 06:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000