Code of Conduct

Thread: Vintage Bel Ami

Default Vintage Bel Ami

I started an ISO post months ago which eventually got deleted because of me not meeting marketplace criteria. However, since then, I've managed to get every bottle through probing the internet like I'm the FBI.

Of the three fragrances I was after, one truly stands out. The vintage shaker bottle of Bel Ami. The hype surrounding this fragrance is completely necessary. I have not smelled such a well balanced fragrance in my life. The current Bel Ami formulation is basically a diet version of the original, linear and somewhat harsh. The original is full bodied, smooth, and endlessly complex. I strongly recommend purchasing a bottle! This fragrance is a true benchmark in quality and complexity.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Vintage Bel Ami

I agree. It's a classic and glad to have a bottle.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

How does it smell like?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

This is my favorite fragrance to smell on my husband.

Quote Originally Posted by Nino View Post
    How does it smell like?
    Simply put, oak moss and leather. If you smell the current formulation, then imagine a much creamier, fuller version. I'm not kidding when I say the new one is like a diet. It is most easily put as Diet Coke vs Coca-Cola. Such a smooth leather note in the vintage. I get the same smoothness from the leather in the vintage Eau d'Hermes.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by travis453 View Post
    Simply put, oak moss and leather. If you smell the current formulation, then imagine a much creamier, fuller version. I'm not kidding when I say the new one is like a diet. It is most easily put as Diet Coke vs Coca-Cola. Such a smooth leather note in the vintage. I get the same smoothness from the leather in the vintage Eau d'Hermes.
    This.
    If you read a few of the many reviews of this on Basenotes, you may get an idea. It's a Classic Leather base , spiced up luxuriously.
    Similar leathers can be found in Maxim's pour Homme and Missoni uomo.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Ho Hang Club by Balenciaga

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Good points on Bel Ami, and a nice shout-out for Eau d'Hermes.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    This.
    If you read a few of the many reviews of this on Basenotes, you may get an idea. It's a Classic Leather base , spiced up luxuriously.
    Proviso. I am one of those, who view this fragrance, in Vintage, to be a Masterpiece of Masculine Perfumery.
    Up there with Patou and Bugatti 1992.

I had it at one time. Smelled very similar to Aramis (vintage) so I sold it.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    I had it at one time. Smelled very similar to Aramis (vintage) so I sold it.
    How wonderful this hobby is, in it's subjectivity. When I first sniffed Aramis, in 1968, I dismissed it as Woman's perfume. In later year's, sniffing I realized that my first impressions held. I leave it to the girls. I 'll take their Cabochard, particularily Vintage perfume, instead.

Quote Originally Posted by travis453 View Post
    Of the three fragrances I was after, one truly stands out. The vintage shaker bottle of Bel Ami. The hype surrounding this fragrance is completely necessary. I have not smelled such a well balanced fragrance in my life. The current Bel Ami formulation is basically a diet version of the original, linear and somewhat harsh. The original is full bodied, smooth, and endlessly complex. I strongly recommend purchasing a bottle! This fragrance is a true benchmark in quality and complexity.
    Congrats on getting it finally. Definitely a terrific fragrance, enough that it seems to have inspired others, such as Roja Dove's Fetish Pour Homme. The current is actually pretty good on its own, but you have to appreciate it without the original in mind... otherwise you feel sorely disappointed. Some have said it's like a "diet" version.
    Click HERE for sales of: YSL KOUROS (vintage), CHANEL Antaeus A/S (vintage), Hermes Equipage, CHANEL Egoiste (vintage), Carven Vetiver, and many others!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    Congrats on getting it finally. Definitely a terrific fragrance, enough that it seems to have inspired others, such as Roja Dove's Fetish Pour Homme. The current is actually pretty good on its own, but you have to appreciate it without the original in mind... otherwise you feel sorely disappointed. Some have said it's like a "diet" version.
    Yes would say this up until about 2014-15.

The latest seems a huge disappointment, more like a facsimile, with a very generic, grating, wood drydown.

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    This.
    Do you mean Maxim's is on par, or similar, or a replacement? I'm on the look out for a shaker.
    Currently wearing: Macassar by Rochas

Love it... My favorite fragrance in my collection, hands down. In terms of Maxim's PH, it's a wonderful fragrance but wears differently from Bel Ami. IMO, it wouldn't be redundant to have both in your collection if you're into leather fragrances.

Additionally, Coach Leatherware 01 is my favorite "summer leather." It has been discontinued, but can be found with a bit a hunting.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Aoud Vanille by Mancera

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    Love it... My favorite fragrance in my collection, hands down. In terms of Maxim's PH, it's a wonderful fragrance but wears differently from Bel Ami. IMO, it wouldn't be redundant to have both in your collection if you're into leather fragrances.

Additionally, Coach Leatherware 01 is my favorite "summer leather." It has been discontinued, but can be found with a bit a hunting.
    Nice, I'd like to complete the Maxim's, Moschino, Bel Ami trifecta as they often seem to come up together sometimes

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Cevenol View Post
    Nice, I'd like to complete the Maxim's, Moschino, Bel Ami trifecta as they often seem to come up together sometimes
    Because they are the best of that genre.
    Moschino is the best followed by BelAmi.
    Maxim is one notch below them.
    Belami modern is good too. The problem is the name. They should have named it Belami Fresh and it would not get any hate from us here.

Like the Belami Vetiver. Gets a lot of love.

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    Love it... My favorite fragrance in my collection, hands down. .
    You have a very nice collection, and that's a big statement. And I can totally understand it.

BTW, thank you so very much for introducing me to Leatherware No. 1!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cevenol View Post
    Do you mean Maxim's is on par, or similar, or a replacement? I'm on the look out for a shaker.
    None of the above

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    None of the above
    The order of precendance according to Camel
    Bel Ami shakers
    Moschino pour Homme, Dior Jules lifts it's leg somewhere in here.
    Maxim's pour Homme
    Missoni Uomo
    Bel Ami Broad Shoulder bottle.
    Last edited by purecaramel; 18th July 2017 at 06:02 PM.

I was wearing Maxim's yesterday after reading this thread and I enjoyed it, later on went for a bit of Moschino as it'd been awhile, Moschino is much much better imo.
    Might pick up a bottle of Jules later this summer in Paris, I think I read here they did a good job with the current one. I find it hard to believe because Dior