Code of Conduct

Default Gillette Body - Very Aggressive Cartridge Razor

Wandering through the local supermarket, i noticed that they were clearing out Gillette Body cartridge razors at half price, and that the four pack replacement cartridiges were reduced from $20 to $1. I read the back of the packet which said,
    " Even less irritation, even on the most important areas of your body"

So curiosity got the best of me, and I bought some to check out on my face - which is an important area of the body too.

I looked at the razor this morning and noticed that it had very big gap width between the blades, relative to typical cartridge razors - which meant that it was going to be an aggressive razor. I used the same cream that I had used yesterday in conjunction with a new cartrdige razor - and where I had achieved zero nicks. But using Gillette Body with that cream today resulted in five bloody nicks, three small spot ones and two more significant ones. This razor was just as aggressive as I had earlier feared.

The other thing I hadn't thought of, is that the cartridge has a wider area above the blades, making it impossible to get to the whiskers just under my nose - I had to use a DE razor to get them.

So I can see this razor being useful for someone with thick whiskers wanting to cut off a seven day growth. Or for people who like using savage razors like shavettes.

It would also be useful for its main intended task - to shave body hair - as the wide gap between the blades means it won't clog up as quickly with hair, as would be the case for a typical cartridge razor. But after the nicks it did to my face, I'm somewhat wary of trying it elsewhere.

If I do test it elsewhere, I will report back here.

Has anybody else used Gillette Body?

Cheers,
    Renato
    (I try it, so that you don't have to)
    Last edited by Renato; 7th July 2017 at 03:18 AM.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Gillette Body - Very Aggressive Cartridge Razor

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    But after the nicks it did to my face, I'm somewhat wary of trying it elsewhere.

If I do test it elsewhere, I will report back here.

Cheers,
    Renato
    (I try it, so that you don't have to)
    Please do.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

If you want to save 200+ dollars per year, you might want to consider switching to "wet shaving", using a double edged razor.

You only need to buy the razor once. Razor blades are about 10 - 25 cents each on places like amazon and each will last 3 to 4 shaves. A good shaving brush (around 11 dollars) will last you years, and proper shaving cream or shaving soap if you don't have hard water (around 25 dollars) will last you at least six months. Don't do shave club, etc. as you don't need a membership to do this kind of stuff.

Anyways, I just felt I should say something. Carry on!
    Last edited by Vmaster; 7th July 2017 at 03:26 AM.
    Veni, Vidi, Ego Emit.
    ( I came, I saw, I purchased. )
    Currently wearing: L'Homme de Coeur by Divine

Quote Originally Posted by Vmaster View Post
    If you want to save 200+ dollars per year, you might want to consider switching to "wet shaving", using a double edged razor.

You only need to buy the razor once. Razor blades are about 10 - 25 cents each on places like amazon and each will last 3 to 4 shaves. A good shaving brush (around 11 dollars) will last you years, and proper shaving cream or shaving soap if you don't have hard water (around 25 dollars) will last you at least six months. Don't do shave club, etc. as you don't need a membership to do this kind of stuff.

Anyways, I just felt I should say something. Carry on!
    Thanks, but I own about 12 good DE razors (Merkur, Jagger, Gillette, Ikon plus two others I can't remember), and seven or eight not so good cheap ones. After three or four years of enthusiastically using them, I've switched back to cartridge for the closer shave, without having to do three or four passes as would be the case with DE (I've gotten slack)

If one uses a Razorpit to clean the cartridge razor after every use (even disposables) , the cost is minuscule, since they then last for ages.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 7th July 2017 at 09:10 AM.

While admitting to not having tested this yet, will report back as well with some impressions if ever getting and using it (quite likely to at least consider this at some point, having little to no reluctance towards male body hair removal/trimming anyway).
    Especially since the aggressiveness can indeed be an issue on the face, but perhaps less so in the very areas of initial/main use of this body razor.
    Currently wearing: Ambré Noble by Zara

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    While admitting to not having tested this yet, will report back as well with some impressions if ever getting and using it (quite likely to at least consider this at some point, having little to no reluctance towards male body hair removal/trimming anyway).
    Especially since the aggressiveness can indeed be an issue on the face, but perhaps less so in the very areas of initial/main use of this body razor.
    Thanks. I still haven't tried it elsewhere yet.
    The one obvious area where it should be better than a regular cartridge razor is the hair at the back of one's neck, in the week or weeks prior to a haircut, where it can get quite scruffy.
    Regards,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Out of idle curiosity, I tried this razor on the back of my neck, bits of my back I could reach, and parts of my chest.
    I am pleased to report that it was nowhere near as savage there as it was on my face. It worked very well.
    Regards,
    Renato