Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default eBay horror stories - what should i do regarding Perry Ellis Black Vanilla Oud?

It seems every year I get to post another eBay horror story.

To make a long story short: I've been on eBay for over 16 years with 100% feedback. I recently sold 6 bottles of Perry Ellis Black Vanilla OUD that I purchased at a duty free store. I sold it heavily discounted at $38.99 and it was the cheapest bottle on eBay because I wanted to get rid of my stock.

The first 5 people all gave me 100% positive reviews on the exact same item. The very last person, who has all their feedback set to PRIVATE, is threatening to open up a case claiming the $38 juice is fake and "only last 10 minutes on his skin and tester strip.".

I usually sell high-end cologne items worth several hundred dollars, obviously I wouldn't risk my reputation for 16 years on selling fake $38 fragrance. Plus, everyone else who got the same exact fragrance was happy and gave me positive feedback.

This guy didn't leave feedback yet. I really don't care if he leaves feedback because I want to leave eBay anyway because of stuff like this.

This Buyers feedback is set to PRIVATE so Sellers cant be warned of his previous tactics because it's set to PRIVATE. Who does that? I'm sure this isn't his first time doing this?

Now that he has opened the bottle obviously I cant sell it as brand new. This is a great way to sample fragrances for free.

I shipped it USPS Priority mail which cost me $7.20, plus all my time to list it and to wait at post office, plus around $6 eBay fees..

Now he wants me to give him 50% off in order for him to keep it and sell/give it away to someone else, or to return the USED item and for me to pay return shipping.

He already got an awesome deal as they normally sell for $98

What would you do? How will eBay handle this? since they always side with Buyer?

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: eBay horror stories - what should i do regarding Perry Ellis Black Vanilla Oud?

Quote Originally Posted by richfisher6969 View Post

What would you do? How will eBay handle this? since they always side with Buyer?
    Well, you said you don't care as you're contemplating leaving Ebay anyway. Your options are somewhat limited. Take the option you feel you can live with best (none are good for you) and block him from bidding on any of your listings. This individual is trouble.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: eBay horror stories - what should i do regarding Perry Ellis Black Vanilla Oud?

Mind you sharing his eBay user id ?
    Current favorites:

- Bleu De Chanel EDP
    - 1969 Revolte
    - Narciso Rodriguez For Him EDT
    - Aventus
    - 1876 Mata Hari
    - Nio
    - Bois d'Argent

http://www.prayforfrance.org/

Quote Originally Posted by ladida View Post
    Mind you sharing his eBay user id ?
    I second this. I'd like to add them to my blocked buyer list.

Screw 'em.

Tell him you know your product is legit and you know he's full of shit. Let him leave a negative feedback, you're allowed to reply to it and the reply show's up on your own page, right? And if you're planning on leaving eBay anyway...

Don't allow yourself to be bullied with the idea that he could potentially leave bad feedback for you. People know how this stuff works and can see when somebody's negative feedback is retaliatory or vindictive. Don't sweat it.

Tell him to open up a case with eBay, and then ignore him moving forward. I can't stand people like that.
    Top 10 Rotation: December, 2017: Spice and Wood, Bleecker Street, Invasion Barbare, Layton, Ormonde Man, Viking, Club 75, Dia Man, Note de Yuzu, Tabac Rouge

If you have enough (+) feedback to offset his potentially (-) feedback, you could tell him to go right on ahead and open a case... The fact that you sold the same bottles to others only bolsters your position.

Or

Take it back, issue the refund and sell the bottle for roughly the same seeing as you could get $38 for a 99.99% full bottle that normally goes for $90-100 new.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Gris Clair by Serge Lutens

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    If you have enough (+) feedback to offset his potentially (-) feedback, you could tell him to go right on ahead and open a case... The fact that you sold the same bottles to others only bolsters your position.

Or

Take it back, issue the refund and sell the bottle for roughly the same seeing as you could get $38 for a 99.99% full bottle that normally goes for $90-100 new.
    Yeah, but then I would lose $7.20 postage each way ( $14.40 ) plus my ebay fees ($6). Then I would have to re-sell it and re-mail it for another $7.20 plus ebay fees ($6).

Here is what he wrote today:

"no disrespect to you or your business but this cologne have absolutely no perfume lasting capability, it literally last only less ten minutes on my skin or test paper strip. Obviously there is something very wrong with this batch. most of my high over $30 end colognes last 10-20 hours on me or test strips. I am very sorry but i don't have any use of cologne that don't last on me at all. I love the bottle design a lot it better looking than my tom ford collections bottles. I would like to return for full refund if possible or i could take 50% off and maybe give it away someone."

He has also been on ebay for 16 years with 100 feedback, even though it is set to PRIVATE, so I highly doubt ebay will block him after all this time. He has like 1550 feedbacks.
    Last edited by richfisher6969; 16th July 2017 at 06:07 AM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

My advice is to refund the 50% and let him keep it. Because if he files SNAD, you'll have to refund 100% and have to pay for return shipping to get it back.

PayPal is likely to side with him.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    My advice is to refund the 50% and let him keep it. Because if he files SNAD, you'll have to refund 100% and have to pay for return shipping to get it back.

PayPal is likely to side with him.
    It's such a shame ebay/paypal always sides with the buyer, especially given the circumstances.

How am I responsible for how a fragrance will perform on an a specific individual's skin chemistry?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Think of how may returns B&M stores get, often for no reason other than the customer changed their mind. Many of these items have to be damaged out.

I think if one is going to sell on eBay under the current rules, one needs to choose the solution that best serves one's business, while trying not to take it personally. Of course you cannot be responsible for how a fragrance will perform on anyone's skin. But you can accept in advance the fact that it may not perform equally well on everyone, and that some will want to do a return, and price your products with that in mind.

People have private feedback for many reasons. Maybe they don't want people to know they buy size 5x underwear, who knows?

Think of how may returns B&M stores get, often for no reason other than the customer changed their mind. Many of these items have to be damaged out.

I think if one is going to sell on eBay under the current rules, one needs to choose the solution that best serves one's business, while trying not to take it personally. Of course you cannot be responsible for how a fragrance will perform on anyone's skin. But you can accept in advance the fact that it may not perform equally well on everyone, and that some will want to do a return, and price your products with that in mind.

People have private feedback for many reasons. Maybe they don't want people to know they buy size 5x underwear, who knows?

I am not a big chain store like a WALMART or MACYS. I cant afford this.

To add insult to injury, it says "NO RETURNS" all over my listing..at least in 3 separate locations.
    It's very clear I don't accept returns. The buyer knew this, and bought from me anyway.

Of course I'm taking it personally. Everyone else who bought from me gave it glowing reviews.

I ended all my other ebay listings ,and fortunately already had a zero balance in my paypal account, so now my paypal says i have a negative $37.99 or whatever. Good luck with them getting it.

People also have PRIVATE feedback to hide a dubious history/past of negatives....as Sellers oftentimes revise their original Positive feedback by adding WARNINGS to stay away from the Buyer.

Feedback should be transparent.
    Last edited by richfisher6969; 16th July 2017 at 08:04 AM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

So, I guess you don't plan to buy anything using PayPal ever again, either?

Correct.

Plus, I believe a wise person told me last year that if a Buyer was willing to keep an item if you give them a reduced price, then it's not legit.

So much for eBay Seller Protection!!
    Last edited by richfisher6969; 16th July 2017 at 11:55 AM.

Basenotes Plus

I think if you are willing to give up PayPal and all you have worked for in terms of your good ratings et al for $38.99, maybe it is time to throw in the proverbial towel. I'm not saying it is right or wrong, good or bad. You have to make a decision that is best for you. Sometimes we have to come to a reckoning based on what is perceived by others as a small detail. It may be that your frustration with ebay has been building for some time. Or, perhaps, you are having a very bad week. I hope whatever you decide, it gives you peace of mind.

Smellcheck

As a friend of mine used to say when faced with an unrecoupable loss in a different, uh, "underground" economy in the pre-digital era, "Just consider it Hippie Income Tax".

Blog Entries

I don't know about you, but just one horror story a year for someone active on Ebay is pretty awesome. Instead of being ideologically passionate about an incident, put a dollar value on the trouble and move on with it. Someone having a dispute on $39 and eventually losing $20 is not worth frowning upon compared to the opportunities and eyeballs the platform provides.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Wow! A plethora of varying opinions from the early posters to the late posters.

This guide is exactly how I feel most people would regard eBay users who intentionally elect to have non-transparent "private" feedback.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Private-Hidd...1874588/g.html

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

That was written in 2006. Since 2008 eBay sellers have not been allowed to leave negative or neutral feedback for buyers.

People have different reasons for wanting to have private feedback. Maybe they have relatives who know their eBay handle and they want to keep their purchases private. Maybe they buy in a narrow collecting category in which they have rival buyers, and they want to conceal who they buy from. (Buyer usernames are now private but they weren't always, and some buyers used to stalk others to learn who they buy from.) I think it's a mistake to assume that buyers necessarily have sinister reasons for desiring privacy.

BTW I thought your buyer's message was polite. However, I get that it's frustrating to you that he wants to return or get a refund.

One more thing: stating on your listing that you don't take returns is not the same as saying that you don't refund. EBay considers the statement "no returns" to mean that you prefer to refund without accepting a return. This may sound outrageous but some vendors actually do not want to receive items back.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 18th July 2017 at 05:21 PM.

Yes, but people get the gist of how a lot of Sellers feel about private feedback even 11 years later.

And scammers can be polite

I believe someone on Basenotes told me last year that if an eBay user ask for a discount in order to keep the item then it's a scam and a Seller should never accept that.

We will keep our fingers crossed and see how it turns out.
    Last edited by richfisher6969; 18th July 2017 at 05:39 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

At the end of the day, what you do is your call, but to me your reaction to your current buyer's request seems out of proportion to the actual situation. Maybe you are really just fed up with selling on eBay because of the fact that it is unfavorable to sellers in various ways, and this buyer's complaint is the straw that broke the camel's back.

My H used to sell occasionally on eBay. Just odd items, machinist tools, household items we no longer needed, the occasional perfume he had gotten tired of, etc. He had a return that soured him-- a man who bought a simple machinist's tool, could not figure out how to use it, and returned it for a refund. We lost the initial shipping cost when refunding, but it could have been worse; this was before sellers had to pay for the return shipping on SNAD claims. He blocked that buyer and kept selling. For my H the last straw was PayPal allowing SNAD returns for 180 days while making sellers pay for return shipping. He hasn't listed anything since then.

It's useful to be able to use PayPal as a buyer, so I would not want to do anything to close my PayPal account. I'd refund this guy, stop selling, and carry on as a buyer.

I would be outraged like your husband if eBay allows up to 6 months to get a full refund, and also force him to pay shipping both ways. I would never want to encourage, or reward, a company that has that policy as a buyer or a seller.

I think my reasoning is perfectly appropriate. I'm not responsible on how a brand new sealed fragrance performs on anyone's skin. The buyer bought what I was selling: a brand new sealed original fragrance.

If the performance sucks on his skin chemistry, I am not responsible. It's bad business for eBay to force Sellers to not only refund, but pay for shipping both ways. Ridiculous.

Plus, I can never sell it as brand new again. Not-to-mention they usually sell at $98 (plus tax) ,and he got it for only $38.

I'm not going to start selling fake Perry Ellis out of my parents basement at $38 when I usually sell high-end stuff worth hundreds or even $1200. It doesn't make any sense that I would risk my 100% feedback over 16 years.

I may be quibbling over $20 but likewise he is quibbling over $38. And I highly doubt Perry Ellis has "bad batches" as this fragrance just came out a few years ago.

As I said, we will keep our fingers crossed.
    Last edited by richfisher6969; 18th July 2017 at 06:06 PM.

Please keep us posted... I hope everything works out for the best.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

Thank you checkmate for the kind words.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

There are two ways to go forward, ultimately.

1. Make this the mountain you die on, so to speak-- possibly losing your prized 16 year, 100% feedback on a relatively small dollar amount, which you will probably be forced to refund anyway if he files SNAD. In the process you may also lose the use of PayPal as a buyer.

2. Make a dispassionate decision based on what is best for you, your business, and your own buying.

There is no right or wrong here. But do think about the way each path forward could play out.

I wish you well. Let us know how it goes! Maybe a bit of hand holding for this nervous buyer would be sufficient?

Quote Originally Posted by richfisher6969 View Post
    Thank you checkmate for the kind words.
    You're very welcome

There are two ways to go forward, ultimately.

1. Make this the mountain you die on, so to speak-- possibly losing your prized 16 year, 100% feedback on a relatively small dollar amount, which you will probably be forced to refund anyway if he files SNAD. In the process you may also lose the use of PayPal as a buyer.

2. Make a dispassionate decision based on what is best for you, your business, and your own buying.

There is no right or wrong here. But do think about the way each path forward could play out.

I wish you well. Let us know how it goes! Maybe a bit of hand holding for this nervous buyer would be sufficient?
    Very valid points... As the old saying goes, you can win a battle but lose the war.

Mother Teresa

Basenotes Plus

Wishing you the best.
    Last edited by Zephyr1973; 19th July 2017 at 04:57 AM.

This is how I would deal with it because it has happened to me. State your case in the words you have chosen here in this thread. Stick to it. Let ebay make the decision on whether or not to allow him to get the refund. Like others have said, the private feedback and his offer of 50% off should get you to win the case. I have won mine with less. Remember, this guy might be trying to pull this crap all the time, ebay will know that as well. I think you have an easy case to win.

Thank you. I have won the case and eBay has ruled in my favor.

"We reviewed this case and have closed it without any refund to the buyer. The case will not affect your seller performance and any negative feedback will be removed. This item isn't covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee."

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    I second this. I'd like to add them to my blocked buyer list.

rkremmer