Code of Conduct

Thread: Is this legit?

Default Is this legit?

So I am looking for this oil.

http://www.avinaturals.com/product/s...od-oil-mysore/

The price looks very promising but I am not sure if it is legit.

Does this price make sense? because usually it is much more expensive.

Thanks .

Default Re: Is this legit?

$1500 per Kilo seems a tad expensive to me, but it is ages since I used genuine Sandalwood. Or are you looking at the rip off price charged for small samples?

I would be suspicious of anyone selling"genuine" Sandalwood from India, I don't think it exists.

Thanks for your comment David .

I am looking at the 25ml of this.
    I thought sandalwood mysore is more expensive,but 25ml for around 50$ seems rather cheap (I usually use small amounts).
    And can you please tell me why does it look suspicious? I mean,the origin of this oil is from India.

Very unlikely it is authentic, the price is just wrong. It is way too cheap. The government sells 100 grams of sandalwood (the wood, not the oil) at around $30. You can have a look here . A few years back the government of Karnataka(The state where Mysore Sandalwood comes from) used to sell authentic sandalwood oil for around $25 per 5 grams. They no longer sell it since they cannot source it anymore.

I recently got a quote for authentic Mysore sandalwood from a supplier I trust and the retail price I got was around $100-$120 for a tola(12 ml).

As a general rule I would stay away from Indian sandalwood sellers especially the ones that sell online.

I see.
    Thanks man .
    I will probably look for another source.

Considering some of the other products the seller lists under "essential oils" include muguet oil, honeysuckle oil, and emu oil, I suggest that the sandalwoods are certainly not authentic.

Basenotes Plus

There is no possible way that is legitimate. I paid a crazy high price for a 1/4 tola a year ago thru a respected source. Real Mysore is NOT cheap. Expect to be in pain when paying for it!

Three years ago when I was just beginning to delve into the creation of perfumery, I also bought "completely natural" extracts on a similar Indian site( hyacinth, rose, sandalwood, honeysuckle, jasmine and so on.) at ridiculous prices. Even then (without experience), when I received all this raw material, I immediately felt that this is NOT genuine natural extracts, although the seller answered on all direct questions only "yes, yes, yes .. .it is absolutely genuine and naturals". Then on this site I found a thread where there was a discussion of this particular Indian supplier and people shared their private correspondence with this person where he recognizes himself that of course for such prices there can not be any completely natural extracts ... Therefore, I will repeat once again how here on the site already mentioned about the Indian suppliers: "Beware of like the plague!" here is the old thread : http://www.basenotes.net/threads/219...t=shiva+export
    Last edited by Dmitriy; 17th July 2017 at 08:27 AM.

How about this one: Fougere Absolute. "The botanical name of this oil is Fougere. This is a liquid brownish yellow in color. The country from which this oil originally came is France and one of the principal methods of extraction of this oil is sensitization. This is an important oil as far as absolute oils are concerned."

Okay thank you guys I see I will try to find another source.

Thank you .

Quote Originally Posted by Alysoun View Post
    How about this one: Fougere Absolute. "The botanical name of this oil is Fougere. This is a liquid brownish yellow in color. The country from which this oil originally came is France and one of the principal methods of extraction of this oil is sensitization. This is an important oil as far as absolute oils are concerned."
    Ha! They also sell chypre oil, which they say is cypress, but then they also sell cypress. They also miraculously sell hyacinth absolute, which they ciaim in one sentence is extracted from the flowers, and then in another sentence say it is a blend of essential ols and absolutes "to make smell like hyacinth". I'm sure they are not trying to deliberately mislead anybody about their fragrance oil business - they are just confused.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Alysoun View Post
    Fougere Absolute... the principal methods of extraction of this oil is sensitization.
    What a LAUGH!

The principal method of extraction is sensitization....?

RUN! Do not ever buy *anything* from this vendor.
    Last edited by pkiler; 17th July 2017 at 07:25 PM.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Yea thanks again .