Code of Conduct

Default Confusion over Hermes Terre d'hermes edt - same as H flacon for 2017?

Hi - new to all this, trying to buy something lovely for my partner and stumbled across a bottle of Hermes Terre d'Hermes. This bottle is special edition and has what looks like houses drawn onto it. I sprayed it and love it and assumed it was the same scent as the original terre d'hermes but sprayed the original scent as well and it somehow smelt different - more cedar/pine. Since then, I've been searching online and think it's probably the same scent with a designer bottle, but I've also found some conflicting views on this.... is this the same scent? I've read that each year Hermes bring out new flacons- just the bottle changes, but also read that H flacon is a newer edt..... any help please....

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Confusion over Hermes Terre d'hermes edt - same as H flacon for 2017?

My understanding is that it is just a bottle design change (special edition bottle) but the same scent.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: Confusion over Hermes Terre d'hermes edt - same as H flacon for 2017?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    My understanding is that it is just a bottle design change (special edition bottle) but the same scent.
    Yes that's what I thought, but the scent smells different and I found a website which talked about designing special edition scents based on terre d'hermes so I wonder.......

There have been reports of TdH being reformulated a few years ago. But the yearly fancy flacons contain the same scent as the regular bottles. Current formulations may therfore be different from older bottles.
    1. Epic Man by Amouage (33 wears)
    2. Leather Oud by Christian Dior (30 wears)
    3. M7 by Yves Saint Laurent (26 wears)
    4. Oud Imperial (black) by Perris Monte Carlo (22 wears)
    5. Russian Tea Ritual by Masque (19 wears)
    6. Fate Man by Amouage (18 wears)

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Currently wearing: Opus VII by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    There have been reports of TdH being reformulated a few years ago. But the yearly fancy flacons contain the same scent as the regular bottles. Current formulations may therfore be different from older bottles.
    Do you know for sure that the 2017 limited edition is just the bottle as I read an article dated early 2017 which talked about people being invited to create a limited ed scent based on tdh and some would be picked to launch..... the reason I say this is because I feel that the smell of the limited ed was different to the original. The original seemed more of a woody traditional scent whereas the limited ed smelt more peppery and earthy- however I did spray that one on top of my hand and the original on the inside of my arm!
    Anyway, as far as you are aware, there are only 3 different tdh scents - parfum (pure), edt and fraiche (is the eau de parfum the same as pure?)
    Thanks!

If you check the Hermes website, it lists those three and there is no mention of any other versions except for their yearly limited edition bottles.
    1. Epic Man by Amouage (33 wears)
    2. Leather Oud by Christian Dior (30 wears)
    3. M7 by Yves Saint Laurent (26 wears)
    4. Oud Imperial (black) by Perris Monte Carlo (22 wears)
    5. Russian Tea Ritual by Masque (19 wears)
    6. Fate Man by Amouage (18 wears)

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Currently wearing: Opus VII by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    If you check the Hermes website, it lists those three and there is no mention of any other versions except for their yearly limited edition bottles.
    Thank you, I'll take a look.

While Terre d'Hermes has come in collector bottles, the juice is the same as the matching regular bottle (example: a collector bottle containing EdT is the same as the normal bottle EdT).

This is not the case with all fragrance manufacturers. Back when Beaute Prestige International/Shiseido had the Gaultier license, they tweaked the summer editions on a yearly basis. Ditto for Calvin Klein/Coty and Eternity Summer.
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

Niche & Hard-To-Find Sale (US Only): Frederic Malle, vintage Infusion de Vetiver, By Kilian

Thanks for the information, strange how it smells different though but hey, it's probably all psychological and because I put each scent on different places on my hand/arm!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Louise1976 View Post
    Thanks for the information, strange how it smells different though but hey, it's probably all psychological and because I put each scent on different places on my hand/arm!
    Aging can strongly affect fragrances. I believe that TdH contains some extremely volatile odorants - possibly dimethyl sulfide - which can escape the bottle with time. I discovered this by storing a fresh bottle in empty luggage and smelling DMS when I opened it after a couple of days.
    https://cologniac.com - raging for the machines

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Aging can strongly affect fragrances. I believe that TdH contains some extremely volatile odorants - possibly dimethyl sulfide - which can escape the bottle with time. I discovered this by storing a fresh bottle in empty luggage and smelling DMS when I opened it after a couple of days.
    Thanks for your comment. What does dms smell like?

Thanks for your comment. What does dms smell like?
    Thanks to everyone's comments yesterday, I've now worked out what the scent difference was, the bottle I sprayed on my hand was edt and the other tester I used on my other arm was the edp!!! Stupid me, should have looked! Now I know that I much prefer the edt - more patchouli and peppery notes than the edp.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Thanks to everyone's comments yesterday, I've now worked out what the scent difference was, the bottle I sprayed on my hand was edt and the other tester I used on my other arm was the edp!!! Stupid me, should have looked! Now I know that I much prefer the edt - more patchouli and peppery notes than the edp.
    Mystery solved!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.