Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Fragrances that burn your nose

I daubed Timbuktu on from a sample vial and loved it. Immediately went online to find a good price on it. Before I purchased, I wanted to test longevity and Projection. I almost always transfer juice into an atomizer before making a final decision. They just smell different when sprayed. I'm glad I did...After 1 hour the pepper in the Timbuktu began burning my nose. What a shame...I loved it otherwise. Any frags burn your nose?
    [SIZE=]See my Sale thread for partial bottles/samples Zoology, Penhaligon, Montale, marc de la morandiere, many others! [/SIZE]
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

Default Re: Fragrances that burn your nose

Not in terms of a physical adverse reaction (yet), but fragrances like ADG, vintage Joop Homme (no problem with the current one though), CK Crave, Davidoff Good Life, Diavolo and Mediterraneo by Antonio Banderas could be among the likeliest

No nose burns yet, but I did experience coughing from ELDO Rien to the point where I had to scrub it off.

A shame, because it's a great scent.
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

Niche & Hard-To-Find Sale (US Only): Frederic Malle, vintage Infusion de Vetiver, By Kilian

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    Any frags burn your nose?
    Aramis.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Aramis.
    I agree with Hednic.

Clove Oil in the Vintage.

Clove Oil and Harsh Citrus Synthetics today.
    Last edited by purecaramel; 17th July 2017 at 11:53 PM.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

Oud Isapahan
    I've just been on Trip Advisor. There was no information on a cut knee.

Luke Graves
    Currently wearing: Eva Kant by O'Driù

Blog Entries

Any fragrance overloaded with Norlimbanol or Ambroxan...
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Blog Entries

You say "burns your nose" like it's a bad thing!

Very seriously - I'm a huge fan of pepper, peppers, and other spicy things. I distinguish between good and bad "burns the nose". There is a kind of dry burning (more like ground white pepper) that I may or may not like, and things like burning plastics and lachrymators that are (almost) always bad, but certain more oily or humid burnings (black pepper, peppercorns, jalapeño, chili oil) are always a good thing to me. Even the lachrymator benzyl bromide has a certain endearing spiciness, that I remember well.

I agree that Timbuktu is dry and spicy, but kept subtle, it doesn't really burn, IMO. Too much, and yes - I can see it being challenging.
    https://cologniac.com - raging for the machines

None yet.

Basenotes Junkie RichMan'sOldSpice's Avatar

Sex Panther

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by richman'soldspice View Post
    sex panther
    LOL

Smellcheck

I was so hoping hednic would say "Cocaine".

Cook.bot :gigglesnort:

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
    “Art is a lie that tells the truth” - Pablo Picasso
    Currently wearing: L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    You say "burns your nose" like it's a bad thing!

Very seriously - I'm a huge fan of pepper, peppers, and other spicy things. I distinguish between good and bad "burns the nose". There is a kind of dry burning (more like ground white pepper) that I may or may not like, and things like burning plastics and lachrymators that are (almost) always bad, but certain more oily or humid burnings (black pepper, peppercorns, jalapeño, chili oil) are always a good thing to me. Even the lachrymator benzyl bromide has a certain endearing spiciness, that I remember well.

I agree that Timbuktu is dry and spicy, but kept subtle, it doesn't really burn, IMO. Too much, and yes - I can see it being challenging.
    I dumped my dauber vial into an atomizer. More coverage that way. Spritzed about 1 ml on, maybe it was too much, but that was the only way I could get it to project. Enjoyed the scent for awhile, then my nose started burning the way it does if you go in a chlorinated swimming pool all day. A dry painful burn. I was quite disappointed b/c as I said, I Loved the Timbuktu aroma. Can't remember ever having that happen before, and I have tried other 'pepper' frags.
    [SIZE=]See my Sale thread for partial bottles/samples Zoology, Penhaligon, Montale, marc de la morandiere, many others! [/SIZE]

The opening of Green Irish Tweed gives the nostrils a bit of a burn, but soon settles down. Sauvage is the worst for me.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Any fragrance overloaded with Norlimbanol or Ambroxan...
    This!
    Mi sagli smo glave, u strahu da biće još gore...i biće, jer sagli smo glave...a ljubav živi...

Blog Entries

I dumped my dauber vial into an atomizer. More coverage that way. Spritzed about 1 ml on, maybe it was too much, but that was the only way I could get it to project. Enjoyed the scent for awhile, then my nose started burning the way it does if you go in a chlorinated swimming pool all day. A dry painful burn. I was quite disappointed b/c as I said, I Loved the Timbuktu aroma. Can't remember ever having that happen before, and I have tried other 'pepper' frags.
    This explains everything.

I had read the Guide on this scent, but not closely enough, so I was surprised how weak it was. However, later that day, I realized that it is actually very pervasive and powerful in a subtle way. Re-reading the Guide, Turin talks about this subtle radiance. I have smelled it on others wearing Timbuktu. Same thing - mega-sillage, but very under the radar.

One mL is a TON. You were piling it on.

+1 on Timbuktu. Tobacco Rose by Papillon has a similar sinus searing effect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    This explains everything.

I had read the Guide on this scent, but not closely enough, so I was surprised how weak it was. However, later that day, I realized that it is actually very pervasive and powerful in a subtle way. Re-reading the Guide, Turin talks about this subtle radiance. I have smelled it on others wearing Timbuktu. Same thing - mega-sillage, but very under the radar.

One mL is a TON. You were piling it on.
    LOL, yea, I still smell it on my t shirt 20 hours later. It went on so lightly that I re-applied. It's only the pepper note that sears my sinuses...The rest is subtle and calm. I'm glad I atomized before I bought a FB. I've always preached that you can't judge a fragrance well without spritzing. Daubing gives you odor, but tells nothing about projection,sillage, or subtlety.

Default Fragrances that burn your nose

Y'all hush about Timbuktu!!! [emoji23]

The fragrance that immediately came to my mind was the abomination created by L'Artisan named Skin on Skin. Woof! Your ears, nose and throat would have less an attack from you snorting turpentine!!! Smelling the southbound end of a northbound dog would be less abrasive. It's the only fragrance that has caused my beautiful wife to threaten me with physical harm for making her smell it. Off of quick memory, it's my worst blind buy. It's a shame too, as it was a very nice looking presentation upon arrival. Very impressive. Then one spray on the back of my hand and I immediately realized what a bad mistake I had made.

So I lovely gifted the bottle to Mythrol. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I'm sure he'd be willing to set up samples or decants or the whole enchilada, for anyone interested.

The only way I can describe the fragrance signature is: take Armani Prive Cuir Amethyste (which I enjoy) and dial the volume up times 500% and then mix in some drunken dirtiness and a little bit of naughty. I once stated something about this fragrance similar to this: It should've been named - Two Drunk Homeless People Getting It On In A Dumpster While A Bourbon Street Hooker Beats Them With A Whip, but I suppose that was too long a name for the bottle.

Now I feel like I need to run saline solution through my nose and take a shower, just from talking about that wretched thing. Shame on you L'Artisan. Shame on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Diddy; 18th July 2017 at 02:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Y'all hush about Timbuktu!!! [emoji23]

The fragrance that immediately came to my mind was the abomination created by L'Artisan named Skin on Skin. Woof! Your ears, nose and throat would have less an attack from you snorting turpentine!!! Smelling the southbound end of a northbound dog would be less abrasive. It's the only fragrance that has caused my beautiful wife to threaten me with physical harm for making her smell it. Off of quick memory, it's my worst blind buy. It's a shame too, as it was a very nice looking presentation upon arrival. Very impressive. Then one spray on the back of my hand and I immediately realized what a bad mistake I had made.

So I lovely gifted the bottle to Mythrol. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I'm sure he'd be willing to set up samples or decants or the whole enchilada, for anyone interested.

The only way I can describe the fragrance signature is: take Armani Prive Cuir Amethyste (which I enjoy) and dial the volume up times 500% and then mix in some drunken dirtiness and a little bit of naughty. I once stated something about this fragrance similar to this: It should've been named - Two Drunk Homeless People Getting It On In A Dumpster While A Bourbon Street Hooker Beats Them With A Whip, but I suppose that was too long a name for the bottle.

Now I feel like I need to run saline solution through my nose and take a shower, just from talking about that wretched thing. Shame on you L'Artisan. Shame on you.

L'Artisan frags often are powerful. I like their projection...usually. I've tried 10 of them and they are never boring!

L'Artisan frags often are powerful. I like their projection...usually. I've tried 10 of them and they are never boring!
    I can agree with that statement. I've never been bored by anything I've tried. It's ranged from love - to intrigue- to physical assault.

I've seen some people state the beauty of Skin of Skin, and I can only imagine that they are surrounded by horrific smells daily for this to be "sensual", or something for "cuddling". If I cuddled up next to my wife wearing it, you'd hear about me in the news. 'Woman kills husband, revives him with CPR, and then kills him again for wearing fragrance to bed.'

Blog Entries

Joking aside, I have more respect for noses who fail big with an "outside the box" offering than one who constantly scores with mediocre dept. store safe frags. :

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I was so hoping hednic would say "Cocaine".
    Actually pretty sweet and inoffensive.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

L'Artisan frags often are powerful. I like their projection...
    This is something you don't hear very often. L'Artisan fragrances have slways been described as quiet and transient, with notably few exceptions.
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Blog Entries

This is something you don't hear very often. L'Artisan fragrances have slways been described as quiet and transient, with notably few exceptions.
    I love primarily those exceptions!!! Fou d'Absinthe at the top of the list. Maybe that's quiet to others, but to me it's loud! Seville a l'Aube is pretty loud to me, too. Unafraid incense. Even Timbuktu is a subtle screamer, if that makes sense.

One I could never understand from the perspective of others is L'Eau de Jatamansi. I find it fairly normal and persistent, where many call it feeble.

Blog Entries

Ive tried Piment Brûlant, Traversée du Bosphore, Vétiver, Navegar, L'Eau du Navigateur, Séville à l'Aube, Caligna,Timbuktu, Fou d'Absinthe, and Méchant Loup. I agree they may not be "projection monsters, but many have one loud note...gourmand and cloying, or have a licorice, pepper or pine note that screams out. I think both observations are correct. They are quiet and transient, but often with a loud screaming note in the middle of them. The only one I've owned out of the above is Piment Brulant. Unfortunately when I bought another bottle there was no cocoa note at all. Don't know if it was a bad batch or yet another victim of reformulation.