Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Tuscan Leather. Does it deserve the legendary status?

Oh yes! I think it´s legendary stuff!

Tuscan Leather was the first to use ithat particular aromachemical for leather, so it's notable in that regard, as well as being one of the brand-making releases for Tom Ford.

Do I like it? Not particularly. I think Ombré Leather 16 was a significant improvement, but it will always be the flanker, not the original.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, L'Erbolario Méharées, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, West Third Brand Amérique

It does for me, because it was the fragrance that started me down this road of fragrance addiction. Literally, the first expensive, non-designer fragrance I ever bought, and I had always been a "signature scent" kind of guy, with just like 2 or 3 frags in seasonal rotation. Tuscan Leather really opened my eyes to the wonderful world of fragrance.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    It does for me, because it was the fragrance that started me down this road of fragrance addiction. Literally, the first expensive, non-designer fragrance I ever bought, and I had always been a "signature scent" kind of guy, with just like 2 or 3 frags in seasonal rotation. Tuscan Leather really opened my eyes to the wonderful world of fragrance.
    Same for me!

I agree with the majority here: a good (and once special) take on leather fragrances with (once) great performance but not a masterpiece or legend.
    Currently wearing: Ébène by Pierre Balmain

Wow. Legendary? I know it's highly regarded but never expected anyone to think legendary. I don't know. It smells great but I don't like that raspberry note at all.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Wow. Legendary? I know it's highly regarded but never expected anyone to think legendary. I don't know. It smells great but I don't like that raspberry note at all.
    Thats funny you say that, I have been seeking out vintage 2011/2012 juice specifically because the raspberry note is more pronounced! lol I love it and think it balances out the composition better when it is a little bit stronger

Banned

I love it and think it balances out the composition better when it is a little bit stronger
    I agree with you about the raspberry note. It makes the whole experience more interesting. I'd love to smell some vintage some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Tuscan Leather was the first to use ithat particular aromachemical for leather, so it's notable in that regard, as well as being one of the brand-making releases for Tom Ford.

Do I like it? Not particularly. I think Ombré Leather 16 was a significant improvement, but it will always be the flanker, not the original.
    Agreed.
    And many that came after Tuscan Leather, including clones form notable niche companies are sometimes better in presentation.
    Waiting for Hednic's 8th star

Tuscan Leather is legendary.
    It does deserve that status.
    Waiting for Hednic's 8th star

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewthecologneguy View Post

Yes it does. I’ve had many fragrance SAs that work for other companies tell me this is the scent they wear. It’s epic

Thats funny you say that, I have been seeking out vintage 2011/2012 juice specifically because the raspberry note is more pronounced! lol I love it and think it balances out the composition better when it is a little bit stronger
    I agree. I get that it’s a strange and distinctive accord, but I love me that smoked raspberry, and it’s why I still enjoy TL more than the copies that focus on the leather aromachemical it pioneered.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Bought an 8.4oz flacon when it first came out back in 2007/2008 and the raspberry note was prominent. I never really go the ashtray vibe some people describe; rather, it dried down to a buttery leather that was really quite nice. Haven't tried it in ages (newer versions), but considering imitation is the highest form of flattery, I'd say it's a legend.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    Bought an 8.4oz flacon when it first came out back in 2007/2008 and the raspberry note was prominent. I never really go the ashtray vibe some people describe; rather, it dried down to a buttery leather that was really quite nice. Haven't tried it in ages (newer versions), but considering imitation is the highest form of flattery, I'd say it's a legend.
    Do you still have any left from this flacon?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    Do you still have any left from this flacon?
    No, I ended up selling it several years ago. Wish I still had it, but need to get my nose on the current formulation to see how it measures up.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    No, I ended up selling it several years ago. Wish I still had it, but need to get my nose on the current formulation to see how it measures up.
    I own and love the current formulation. Haven't tried the older stuff, but I imagine it is much better.

Basenotes Plus

Legendary, yes. Deserved, yes. It may not be the most original fragrance today, but the fact that so many fragrances have been created in its shadow is just proof of its influence. After years without it, I recently picked up a bottle of the current formulation. I still love it and am happy it is back in my collection.

Cool Re: Tuscan Leather. Does it deserve the legendary status?

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I don't think the ability to be copied many years later reduces it's impact on the landscape. If truly successful, there will be enough people spending enough resources to do just that. In fact, I think to be "legendary" - you must have people out there copying you (or at least trying to).

There are so many fake paintings in the art world. It doesn't detract from the original. Even if the fake is almost identical to the original. The genius is in the original idea and it's execution. Many have come since copying Elvis, the Beetles, the assembly line, and the iPhone. Being copied proves you did something to be legendary. Being the original mind behind something that takes that giant leap forward is what makes you great. Being a good cover band and just copying others does not - nor does it diminish the one you are copying.
    More perfumers have copied TL and Aventus than just about anything!! Give it up, gentlemen. It's legendary!! HALL OF FAME!
    My Signature Lineup: Ambre Tabac, Green Leather, Alexandria II, MFK Baccarat Rouge 540, Grand Soir, Spice & Wood, Vetiver Geranium, Royal Mayfair, Pardon, Roja Dove Enigma, Jubilation XXV, Prada L'homme, AVENTUS, GIT, Clive Christian C and X, Herod, Velvet Orchid, Black Orchid, Layton, Layton Exclusif, Pegasus, ADP Colonia, Leather Concentree,Tuscan Leather,Noir de Noir, Oud Wood, Noir Extreme, APOM, BEL AMI, Genghis Khan, Reflection Man, Kalemat Black, Cedrat Boise, Interlude Man,

Will always love this one. Sums up the scent of several years for me.

Legendary, Ethereal with a leather Jacket!!!
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Basenotes Plus

How does it compare to Knize Ten?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    Legendary, Ethereal with a leather Jacket!!!
    Agreed!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    How does it compare to Knize Ten?
    Haven't yet had the opportunity to smell this one.