Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default 4160 Tuesdays sampling group

A sample pass spawned by a sample pass. Having sent out Raw Silk & Red Roses by 4160 Tuesdays in the Retro Roses pass, I found we had a lot of interest in this house. As luck and friendship would have it, our wonderful Kiliwia had just sampled a load of these and generously donated her samples for us to sniff. This thread is for discussion of those samples, and any other 4160 Tuesdays scents you'd like to talk about!

As we had enough interest before we began, I'm not currently accepting sign-ups. However, this could change if any remainders at the end of our groups. In the meantime, all are welcome here-even if not in one of our groups, to discuss this house to your heart's content!

In all, we have 40(!!) samples! We've divided up into two groups of three samplers; each group will start with 20 samples. When each group finishes the first 20, we'll swap packages and mail down the line again. Again, if any remnants are left at the end, we'll see if someone here would like to have them.

Our samplers and mailing order:
    -Bavard (who already has his group's package on the way!)
    -IsoESuperman
    -epapsiou

And I currently have the other 20 samples. When finished, I'll mail to
    -N.CAL FragranceReviewer, and he to
    -cestrum nocturnum

And the scents! Here is what we're sampling-

In the package that I just mailed to Bavard:

Mother Nature's Naughty Daughters

Sex Goddess

Tokyo Spring Blossom

Who Knew?

The Buddhawood Box

A Kiss by the Fireside

Shazam

The Great Randello

The Sexiest Scent on the Planet, Ever. (IMHO)

Black Velvet Cafe

Doe in the Snow

Centrepiece

The Lion Cupboard

Silk, Lace & Chocolate

Evil Max

Crimes of Passion: Maxed Out

Crimes of Passion: Goddess of Love & Perfume

Crimes of Passion: Dirty Honey

The Vintage Cities: New York 1955

The Vintage Cities: Rome 1963

In the other package, which I currently have:

Mother Nature's Naughty Daughters

Sex Goddess

Ealing Green

Time to Draw the Raffle Numbers

Sunshine & Pancakes

Rosa Ribes

Flora Psychedelica

Goodbye Piccadilly

Sleep Knot

Tart's Knicker Drawer

Mrs. Gloss & the Goss

Lady Rose Lion (Monkey Unicorn)

The Dark Heart of Old Havana

Captured by Candlelight

What Katie Did on Friday Night

What I Did on My Holidays

Crimes of Passion: Raw Silk & Red Roses

Crimes of Passion: Inevitable Crimes of Passion

The Vintage Cities: Paris 1948

The Vintage Cities: London 1969

Whew! Samplers take note, the first two scents, Mother Nature's Naughty Daughters and Sex Goddess are in both packages. Feel free to use those up before we swap the packages between coasts! I have already sampled everything I mailed to Bavard , and I'll begin sampling the other half of these this week. I'll be back with some of my impressions soon, while we wait for Bavard's package to arrive.

Many thanks to Kiliwia; this is so greatly appreciated! Samplers, have fun and to anyone who'd like to discuss with us, welcome!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 23rd July 2017 at 05:16 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: 4160 Tuesdays sampling group

OMG! I will be watching this one

I was sent Doe in the Snow by two people - and I fell in love. Then I bought Dirty Honey blind and fell in love LOL!

Good Pass!

WOW!!! Enjoy, as its a very interesting house. In another UK Facebook group we did a sample pass, adding to it as it went. Discovered some I would not have considered and others I thought I would love but turns out I didn't.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Bal d'Afrique by Byredo

Thanks, ladies! I'm just a little over halfway through these and I do think this one is going to be a blast! Very interesting house, indeed. donna, I remember just reveling in curiosity at your SotDs while you were doing the FB pass. I was so excited to see that many you mentioned were here in this enormous set! I'm the same as you, I don't need them all but I do need several. And I'm often surprised by my likes and dislikes with this house, too.

Doe in the Snow was the first 4160 FB I bought, Zephyr! I ordered a sample (I did expect to like this one and LOVED it) and immediately turned around and bought the bottle. Still my favorite, too (although I'm loving many!). It's a scent that's so me I wonder how I ever lived without it. I never intend to again! Definitely backup worthy, in multiples if I have my way.

I just tried Dirty Honey before mailing and this one can come live at my house, too! I love honey and this one is so true. And dirty, but not in a way that makes me feel I need a shower. Surprisingly easy to wear, though dirty and sweet. Just smells good! Heck of a blind buy, Zephyr!

Some thoughts on the scent that bore this pass-Raw Silk & Red Roses. The Crimes of Passion series is full of great scents but this one is tops for me. This was another must-have FB right away kind of scent for me. It reminds me of the very earliest fruity florals from the late 70s - early 80s. It's peachy and aldehydic but no laundry, no sweets, as in today's fruity florals. The closest rose I can compare this to is Malle's Une Rose. In fact, I bought this to replace the Malle in my collection. The rose materials are very similar, but that is where similarities end. The aldehydes in Raw Silk give this one more lift, less heaviness than UR. And it completely lacks the annoying woody ambers of UR. Instead, Raw Silk sits on a base of old school smelling musks. Plush velvet. I have loved and worn Une Rose a lot over the past several years but thanks to Raw Silk, I won't buy it again. I've fallen for another. So take your ugly woody ambers and hit the road, Une Rose!

For more fun and educational Tuesdays reading, here's a link to the thread Kiliwia made while she was sampling these: www.basenotes.net/threads/433392-4160-Tuesdays
    Those participating may like a sneak peek of what they'll be sampling.
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 26th July 2017 at 01:59 AM.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    it completely lacks the annoying woody ambers of UR. Instead, Raw Silk sits on a base of old school smelling musks. Plush velvet.
    I agree about the contrast between Malle Une Rose and Raw Silk & Red Roses. The woods in Une Rose are doing the rounds, whereas Raw Silk and Red Roses smells like something different, a work-around to create a more vintage-smelling base. I'm looking forward to trying it again.
    Some Favorites
    1. Antaeus/Antaeus Sport
    2. Givenchy Gentleman (1974)
    3. Chanel for Men/Chanel Pour Monsieur/Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree
    4. Chanel Bois Noir/Egoiste/Egoiste Concentree/Egoiste Platinum/Platinum Egoiste
    5. Balenciaga Ho Hang Club
    6. Moschino Pour Homme
    7. Patou Pour Homme/Patou Pour Homme Prive
    8. Fahrenheit/Fahrenheit Summer
    9. Habit Rouge edc/Habit Rouge edt
    10. Dior Homme/Dior Homme Intense
    11. Boss No. 1 (older versions)
    12. Versace L'Homme

I wish I knew how she did it, Bavard! Did she source some older musks, or like you say, did she create her own workaround with modern materials? A combination of both? I honestly have no idea. And I think coming from someone who did wear this style back in the day, my not being able to tell the difference is a big compliment to our Ms. Sarah McCartney. However she did it, it's brilliant. The how is not so important; this rose just makes me happy.

If this one should run out before it reaches the East coast, do give a holler. I'll just send out individual samples to any of you who'd like to re-visit this one. It will be no trouble at all.

On a side note, I'm loving your sample pass list in your sig, Bavard! And how full already! Cool idea!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 24th July 2017 at 04:47 PM.

PerfumedLady, I hope you have enough of Silk, Lace & Chocolate and What Katie Did On Friday Night, I tried those a few times. Also, if you want more of the 4 that I own just let me know, I'll gladly send more.
    Currently wearing: Iris Dragées by Lancôme

Off hand the only one that ive ever smelled/worn and tried out is the sexiest scent on the planet. Dunno about it being the sexiest scent on the planet but it was nice enough. Been a long time but that I recall from it, smelled like a orange starburst with a lot of iso e super.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    PerfumedLady, I hope you have enough of Silk, Lace & Chocolate and What Katie Did On Friday Night, I tried those a few times. Also, if you want more of the 4 that I own just let me know, I'll gladly send more.
    Kiliwia, you're a gem! Your generosity has already gone above and beyond! Thank you so much for this kind offer. My plan is to just play it by ear; will certainly come begging if we need a top-up! You've made yourself a beautiful 4160 collection and you were smart to grab Centrepiece. It's been out of stock at LS for quite a while now. But, thanks to you, I found I like Rome just as much! I may just end up "settling" for this one, though it's such a beauty it's hardly settling in the usual sense.

And you've reminded me that the East coast group has some samples that do NOT need to be passed along. N.Cal and cestrum have already tried Silk, Lace & Chocolate, Tokyo Spring Blossom, Goddess of Love & Perfume, Doe in the Snow, The Great Randello and Centrepiece. So this means, Bavard, IsoE and epapsiou, that you gentlemen can polish these off if you like. And N.Cal has tried Shazam; if you can manage to leave just enough for cestrum, that will be perfect. But everyone, use as much as you need and don't feel badly if anything runs out! When this happens, I'll order (or beg) another sample, or if not much interest in the given scent, just leave it be. With so many samples, we can afford to just see how it goes.

seekritdude, I was also a bit underwhelmed by Sexiest Scent. Your description was great, that's just what it is. A darn nice citrus, too. But I'm not one to get excited over IsoE. This scent does smell good and I can see it getting lots of compliments. But I feel I must be tough on it because I think there are other crowd pleasers from this house that also happen to be unique and challenging enough for us fragrance freaks. Not a bad scent by any means, just not among the more exciting offerings. I hope you try a few more and see if you feel similarly!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 25th July 2017 at 03:57 AM.

A bit about my true love, the one I adore most-Doe in the Snow, which I wore today. When I posted it earlier, I noticed that it's just one wearing away from breaking into my "most worn" list, and I haven't even had it a year! A testament to just how perfectly right I feel in this. It began as a bespoke for Odette Toilette's wedding but if I had a bespoke made, I think I'd walk away with basically the same thing. I've always loved peachy florals and chypres and turns out, I like my peaches even better when covered in frost. The green tea note adds a modern edge and though it's a true chypre, it's softer-wearing than Mitsouko or Cristalle or Diorella or any other precursor I can think of. I think I'm learning that I like green tea notes and moss paired together a LOT. This closer wearing aspect is also clearly modern to my nose, and makes it a good deal easier to wear than some classic chypres. No haughtiness or grandiosity. It's not despite, but in fact because of these new twists, Doe is the best dang recently created chypre out there for my $.

In spite of such a chilly, green and angular opening, DitS (how funny is that abbreviation) does this super cool trick of warming and rounding itself out, ever so slowly, as it wears. I can almost watch the development in the air around me, incredibly vivid and noticeable changes. By the far drydown, it's just on the verge of sweet, with a sprinkle of chocolate over the still cold but now unfrozen peach. It's as though the skin of the peach has become part of my skin, like a good peachy chypre ought to. I'm fascinated every time by the way it finishes both cozy warm and ice cold. Definitely one of this house's more complex scents, based on the others I've tried so far. And I'm liking a lot of Sarah's more linear scents, too. But her work in vintage styles is where it's at for me. As mentioned before, I'll never be without Doe again. Impossible to live without.
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 26th July 2017 at 02:00 AM.

The Vintage Cities: New York 1955 - It doesn't really smell especially vintage-y to me, or natural, whereas I expect primarily natural smelling perfume in 1950s vintage, but it's interesting. It's supposed to smell like raspberry and cotton candy (aka cotton floss). From the little I've sampled this house (Raw Silk and Red Roses, which impressed me, and Doe in the Snow, which was more of an interest than love at first smell), I think this may have some familiarity as a housemate (or my memory could be playing tricks on me, and it's reminding me of something else).

Notes: Candyfloss, Raspberry, Rose, Violet, Vanilla, Musk

This is striking me as interesting, impressively ambitious, and edgy, but not a shoo-in for stealing my heart. But almost.

I like the ambition, and it has intrigue, and a whimsical, artistic flair. Also, the base notes have some gravitas. These are deep dark, florals, and the musk must by synthetic, but it's tastefully selected. I do smell a raspberry note. Although cotton candy is a listed note, it's not too sweet.

I'm a fan. I don't love this enough to start shopping for a big bottle a la vintage Pour Monsiuer, Antaeus Sport, or Fahrenheit Summer, but I'm suitably impressed to get the 4160 Tuesdays fan juices flowing.

It is creamy. It's supposed to smell like chantilly (whipped cream, or the perfume Chantilly, which is supposed to smell like chantilly/whipped cream). It's succeeding.

One of the Carner Barcelona fragrances, Palo Santo, had milk listed as a note, and I'm finding that modern fragrances are able to pull off dairy fairly well. This one, New York 1955, has the ever-present raspberry in it's signature, and it's giving it a kind of 1950s soda fountain ice cream shop feel; but with the dark florals, bordering on woods, and musk.

Three hours in, this has dipped slightly in enthusiasm generation, trending slightly more predictably modern smelling.
    Last edited by Bavard; 26th July 2017 at 05:23 AM.
    Some Favorites
    1. Antaeus/Antaeus Sport
    4. Chanel Bois Noir/Egoiste/Egoiste Concentree/Egoiste Platinum/Platinum Egoiste
    6. Moschino Pour Homme
    12. Versace L'Homme

Wow, Bavard! Fantastic review; you're off to quite a start!

And you saved me a bunch of thinking and typing. My thoughts on New York 1955 are nearly identical to yours. A really pleasant scent that I enjoyed wearing but just doesn't grab me enough to want more. The candyfloss note surprised me; the sweetness is much more restrained than I was expecting. This scent is much more mature in character than notes may lead one to believe. I do think this is quite special, even if not for me. I think New York would have a lot of fans if more people knew of it. A good scent to begin with if just starting out exploring 4160 Tuesdays. Raspberry and rasperry leaf notes show up frequently in this house; New York is a great example of the overall style. But the city that has won me over (for now, still 2 to try) is Rome. This is the Vintage City to beat for me, and I may just purchase a bottle. More on this one later!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 26th July 2017 at 05:16 PM.

The Vintage Cities: Rome 1963 - To me, this smells like a warm, spicy, red leather. Another wonderfully interesting fragrance. I'm off to read a bit about it (notes, etc.).

Ah - we posted at the same time - so I've already read something about Rome now - you like it! I'm curious about the notes, if there are any reviews, etc., and how it will develop.

From initial spray, it had a promising uniqueness, and it has become somewhat gripping in the following 20 minutes, mostly leather, but with an almost edible note.

Listed notes: Bergamot, Chocolate, Tuberose, Ylang ylang, Jasmine, Cedarwood, Tobacco, Patchouli

One review, from the reliable Darvant, who loved it. Chocolate would be the edible note, although it's not a sweet chocolate.

What I'm smelling as leather I can accept as cedarwood, tobacco, and patchouli.

This is a maybe for a bottle purchase for you, PerfumedLady? I can understand that. I'm trigger shy about full bottle purchases, and then focussed on vintage, but this is delicious. It's rare to smell something so accomplished. Something is tickling my memory from not-too-distant sampling of something in this ball park.

This is warm with a touch of smokiness. Maybe it's just reminding me of a much-better-done Mona di Orio Cuirs. Not having leather as a listed note (and Darvant doesn't mention leather), it might not do to have me going around describing it as a leather fragrance. If the tobacco would come out more distinctly, I could call it a tobacco fragrance.

Darvant's review is fantastic, and he nailed the scent this is reminding me of: Mon Parfum Chéri, par Camille by Annick Goutal, which I had described as a peppery leathery fragrance.
    Last edited by Bavard; 26th July 2017 at 03:50 PM.
    Some Favorites
    1. Antaeus/Antaeus Sport
    6. Moschino Pour Homme
    12. Versace L'Homme

Yep, I'm mulling this one over for sure, Bavard. I'll wait until I've sampled this whole pass to decide what else to add to my little collection of Tuesdays but if I were to order right now, Rome would be the one.

What I love about most (I think, I found LOTS to love here), is the treatment of the white florals. They give me the feeling of wearing a Big White Floral without actually being one. Much easier to wear, less heady, than the BWF genre. But scratches the tuberose itch nicely without ever going into rubber, humidity or butter. The tuberose is definitely the non-challenging sort; would probably not please Fracas wearers. But for me, it's perfect. I think I could wear Rome anywhere without fear of dirty looks. A very modern white floral for a Vintage City.

Also, if leather is the impression you get, I see no problem with describing it that way. And I can see why you'd think so. We're here to talk about how these smell to us, and your truth is as valid as anyone's. Rome uses a base that strikes me as a bit similar to that of Centrepiece; see if you maybe get that, too. And it is a base I find difficult to describe. The tobacco doesn't stick out in the usual way and that goes double for the patch. The way Sarah uses them seems like its own distinct house accord to me. I do think leathery is a good description of the texture these notes impart. Dark, rich and smooth. No pencil shavings/hamster cage from the cedar either, which I especially appreciate.

The chocolate note reminds me of its use in Doe in the Snow in the base. I love how this note can round things out and pull the whole scent together. Agree it does not add sweetness, just another layer of texture. Rome really is delicious and yummy but also technically impressive. Yes I do want more! But, I'll use my patience. When I finish all of these, I may order another round of just my favorites and narrow down from there, if necessary. But as of now, Rome is waaaay out there on its own in first place!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 26th July 2017 at 03:49 PM.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    The Vintage Cities: Rome 1963 - To me, this smells like a warm, spicy, red leather. Another wonderfully interesting fragrance.
    I have to say, spicy red leather does sound wonderfully interesting, Bavard. Looking forward to trying it. I have a sample of Mona's Cuir but have not sniffed it yet. From the descriptions, it sounds fun.

I've been enjoying yours and PL's sniffing notes so far. I hope some other 4160 fans chime in too, as did seekritdude and as did iris fans in that thread. A big thanks to Kiliwia and PL for setting this shindig up
    Currently wearing: Upper Ten (new) by Lubin

Nice to see you, IsoESuperman! And you're more than welcome; the pleasure really is all mine. These are so interesting! Just a really cool house. I hope we hear from a lot more folks, too. I think we do have a few BNers who have sampled nearly the entire line; maybe we'll even get some suggestions that aren't in the pass. If anyone knows of any other "must tries" from this house, I'd love your recs!

I'm trying Sex Goddess. The listed notes are rose, plum, blackcurrant, violet, cedarwood, musk, lily, raspberry, and jasmine. There's a tart note I assume is blackcurrant, maybe too sharp for me, at least in the opening. I think I can sense the raspberry, which I like. Based on the opening, this could be a neutral for me. Maybe the development will win me over. I'll report back.

A couple hours later, the sharpness has receded, and the smell is more rounded and lightly sweet, nice and fruity, but the overall ride has been a little too sharp for me, and I liked the raspberry more in the cream the way it was in Vintage Cities New York.
    Last edited by Bavard; 26th July 2017 at 09:42 PM.
    Some Favorites
    1. Antaeus/Antaeus Sport
    6. Moschino Pour Homme
    12. Versace L'Homme

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    ...But I'm not one to get excited over IsoE.
    ^^^Invalid statement until you see me on a stripper pole
    Currently wearing: Upper Ten (new) by Lubin

I stand corrected! Hahahahaha! I wish you could see how hard I'm laughing! Best comment I've seen in a long time, anywhere. We've only just started and you've already won the sample pass. A gazillion points to IsoE!

Oh, you guys, I'm off to a bad start. I tried Sunshine & Pancakes today and I've found another for the bottle list. I could actually see this one being an even more immediate buy than Rome 1963. Only because I have lots of florals with depth but I have nothing like S&P. It's just what it sounds like and yet it isn't the heavy, sticky, gooey gourmand I expected. It's a floriental that alludes to sunshine and pancakes in the most genius way. Sunny, woody, orange-y and syrupy but the syrup is never cloying or oppressive. An almost liqueured orange, rosewood and sandalwood, and a clean, bright jasmine. All on a powdery honeyed base, which is one of my favorite drydowns I've smelled yet from this house. And that's saying a lot as I do think her bases are especially interesting. This is fantastic and I WANT.

I wasn't a huge fan of Sex Goddess either, Bavard. Though again, I did enjoy wearing it for a day. One thing this perfumer does on occasion is have a play around with mixing her scents together. Tart's Knicker Drawer is a combination of a bunch of things she'd been working on, for example. And I believe I read that Sex Goddess is a combination of Goddess of Love & Perfume and something else I'm forgetting. Possibly Sexiest Scent; I'll try to double check on this. Anyway, I like Goddess of Love & Perfume better all by itself. That one, I'd put among the most impressive of these.
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 27th July 2017 at 02:38 PM.

Shazam - The listed notes are basil, tangerine, juniper berry, atlas cedarwood, pink peppercorn, cardamom, frankincense, amber, patchouli, and cocoa absolute.

This has a lot of development over the first hour. It starts with a nice tangerine note, turns harshly modern woody-amber and frankincense, then settles into a lighter frankincense with citrus with a touch of sweetness, becoming faint surprisingly quickly.

Frankincense is a tricky note. It eventually works well here after a harsh period, with a hint of orange chocolate emerging. I'm giving this a neutral with the qualifier that I'm not a big fan of frankincense.
    Last edited by Bavard; 27th July 2017 at 03:37 AM.
    Some Favorites
    1. Antaeus/Antaeus Sport
    6. Moschino Pour Homme
    12. Versace L'Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Shazam - The listed notes are basil, tangerine, juniper berry, atlas cedarwood, pink peppercorn, cardamom, frankincense, amber, patchouli, and cocoa absolute.

This has a lot of development over the first hour. It starts with a nice tangerine note, turns harshly modern woody-amber and frankincense, then settles into a lighter frankincense with citrus with a touch of sweetness, becoming faint surprisingly quickly.

Frankincense is a tricky note. It eventually works well here after a harsh period, with a hint of orange chocolate emerging. I'm giving this a neutral with the qualifier that I'm not a big fan of frankincense.

This one I really loved, I like my amber dark and dirty and Shazam fitted the bill. To me it was in the similar vein as SL Ambre Sultan, herbal dirty amber.

Oh by the way, for those testing A Kiss By The Fireside, this has been reformulated into Another Kiss By The Fireside. Sarah still had an original batch but then the EU rules changed and she could not make more the exactly same because of the new regulations. So she tweaked it and it is now Another Kiss By The Fireside.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    This one I really loved, I like my amber dark and dirty and Shazam fitted the bill. To me it was in the similar vein as SL Ambre Sultan, herbal dirty amber.

Oh by the way, for those testing A Kiss By The Fireside, this has been reformulated into Another Kiss By The Fireside. Sarah still had an original batch but then the EU rules changed and she could not make more the exactly same because of the new regulations. So she tweaked it and it is now Another Kiss By The Fireside.
    Oh, I didn't know this, thank you! That's a clever and honest way to handle reformulation. A heads up to the customer that something has changed-I love it!

Today is one of those surprising sampling days with this house. I was just enjoying Bavard's thoughts on Shazam. I'd tried this one prior to the pass. It was one that I thought I wouldn't like based on notes. I guessed totally wrong; as it turned out, I loved wearing it. Maybe not a "need" but I thoroughly enjoyed. Now here I am today in Lady Rose Lion (Monkey Unicorn), which according to notes, I should be absolutely wild about. And I'm not. In fact, something here is bothering me, as in I'm uncomfortable wearing it. Not sure what it is; going to have to sniff and think for a bit. But definitely a strong dislike. I have so far loved or at least enjoyed trying everything from this house, until now. It was bound to happen. But I was really not expecting it to come from a scent with Rose in its title! And a mossy base too! Why don't I like this?

PerfumeLady, Sarah will be honest about changes she had to make for legal reasons or just cannot get the ingredients.

Lady Rose, I also thought I would LOVE it, and it just did not play well with my skin at all. There was a strange something which annoyed bothered me with it like you. I gave my 9mls size away.
    DONNA

Basenotes Junkie Miss Hesta Jones's Avatar

I'm really enjoying reading about you guys discovering this house! I'm part-way through reviewing Rome - I've got a few private notes written on it, but need another wearing and some focus before I post. Great to hear your thoughts on Shazam, too - it's on my testlist, for sure.
    It's good to hear so much love for S&P - I'm not sure why, perhaps because I'm a bit of a hippy Brit, but I have a massive soft spot for 4160s. They've something really nostalgic and soothing about so many of their scents.

I implore you all to try Goodbye Piccadilly! And for any of you that like an asphalt or rubber note (Bulgari Black or IA The Cobra and the Canary), give Time to Draw the Raffle Numbers a go.

I think I might shut up now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Art is a lie that tells the truth” - Pablo Picasso

Oh please don't shut up, Miss Hesta! I was hoping you'd pop in here! Do come back and chat as much as you want!

Goodbye Piccadilly is in the box that's currently with me. I'm taking a day off for sync tomorrow but Piccadilly will be my next sample when I get back to sampling. It's officially been bumped up my list.

While I can't speak to any specifically British nostalgia, I do appreciate Sarah's ability to put an old school finesse on modern ideas. And I'm loving her more beachy scents, though I've never been to the British seaside. Sunshine & Pancakes certainly captures a bright morning near a boardwalk breakfast diner for me. Also What I Did on My Holidays, again on the boardwalk, eating treats, enjoying crisp salt air while doused in a fabulous lavender cologne. For my references, these could just as easily be set on Coney Island but whatever, I just really love how she does beachy that isn't tropical, suntan lotion and bronzed bodies (sorry guys!). Just a very interesting way of evoking various memories and locales. Plus, I just like how these scents make me feel British. I also can't help but like Sarah as a person, though I don't know her. The more I learn about her creative inspirations and her way of handling business (such as reformulations, as mentioned by donna), the more I like her.

So, no Lady Rose Lion for me. donna you may be interested to know that I cannot figure out why. No idea why it bugs me. It's even a little bit creepy-feeling to me but I don't know why that is, either. I do know I'll at least always remember it as a scent that stumped me! I also tried Mrs. Gloss & the Goss, now apparently renamed #MrsGlossMadeMeDoIt. The way this one came about is pretty cool; a collaboration with members of a beauty blog. They actually got to go into the studio and help choose materials for the scent! What a nice thing. But I'm meh on the actual scent. It's pretty, pleasant and well-done. It also smells a lot like Guerlain's Insolence, which I prefer. If you're going to do sugary sweet violet-y rose, may as well do it loudly, and with a weird hairspray note. However, those who like the idea and notes of Insolence but not the weirdness should try this. As for me, I'm much more interested in Lemon Sherbet from the Mrs. Gloss line. I'm liking these 4160 citruses!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 27th July 2017 at 07:10 PM.

PerfumedLady, I was getting a strange sort of raw rough thing from Lady Rose, it just dominated the whole thing. I can wear oakmoss and I know that was/is in it do don't think it was that.
    DONNA

The Lion Cupboard - The listed notes are mint, lavender, juniper berry, grapefruit, aniseed, ylang ylang, rose, cedarwood, sandalwood, black pepper, tobacco, vetiver, vanilla, cocoa.

I like it pretty well. It's a thumps up for being a nice perfume, a solid effort, but it's somewhat underwhelming. I've put the notes in bold that I imagine I could be smelling. It smells like a rose and wood combination, with sweetness from vanilla (or benzoin), with notes such as juniper berry and aniseed, perhaps, giving it a bit of a twist.

The sweetness (sweet note?, benzoin?) and the woods (cedarwood?) give it a bit of a been there, done that feel, making it not overly exciting, although it's nice and wearable, warm and agreeable.

This strikes me as something that could be a mass market success, marketed to men, rechristened "Vetiver Woods," and distributed in suitable packaging along the lines of Dior Homme, Bleu de Chanel, and D&G the One.

Wearing this through the day, it reminded me of Aramis Calligraphy Rose and, to a lesser extent, Carven Homme.
    Last edited by Bavard; 28th July 2017 at 10:21 PM.
    Some Favorites
    1. Antaeus/Antaeus Sport
    6. Moschino Pour Homme
    12. Versace L'Homme

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    PerfumedLady, I was getting a strange sort of raw rough thing from Lady Rose, it just dominated the whole thing. I can wear oakmoss and I know that was/is in it do don't think it was that.
    Yes! That makes sense! Raw/rough describes the feeling I got from Lady Rose very well. I don't think it's the moss, either. The notes list looks absolutely perfect to me; I usually love all the listed notes for this one. I'm just shocked. I really expected this to be one of my top loves.

Then there was The Lion Cupboard, which I liked much more than expected. Agree with you, Bavard, it leans masculine to me as well. I thought it a pretty great herbal woody rose. The thing about these modern woody notes is that you'll need very good luck (and some money to spend) to find a recently created rose without them. I'd say woody roses are a bit overdone these days. But this one is more interesting than most and just a really pleasant scent to wear. Having a dad who used to smoke pipes and cigars, and who had his own little cupboard, I definitely get the woody/tobacco/manly associations that Sarah was going for. To me, it's very sweet and sentimental as well as a very valid choice among all the woody roses out there. Nice lavender note-I'm liking her use of lavender very much. Though for myself, I'd still choose What I Did on My Holidays for a 4160 lavender fix. The Lion Cupboard will stay in my mind for recommendations. I could see a lot of BNers enjoying this.

Evil Max - I had hoped there would be a listed note to explain what I'm smelling, but I didn't find it:

Lime, Mandarin, Pink peppercorn, Black cherry, Cardamon, Musk, Geranium, Leather, Oakmoss, Patchouli, Vetiver, Tobacco

Leather would be the best bet. Leather can be a catchall for various naturals and/or synthetics used in various leather curing processes.

This is a harsh one, sort of like Jovoy Private Label. I'm giving it a neutral. I find enough interesting about it not to give it a thumbs down.

A note that's not listed, that I like, although it can be challenging, and that this fragrance is reminding me of, is immortelle (everlasting flower).
    Last edited by Bavard; 29th July 2017 at 02:29 AM.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast