Code of Conduct
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14
    Always be smelling

Default Re: 4160 Tuesdays sampling group

OML - Green:
    Not as weird as notes sound. Citrus/cucumber . The Martha Stewart cucumber/mint/lemon infusded cold water that people in Hampton drink in summer,
    Not bad at all
    Last edited by epapsiou; 14th January 2018 at 06:32 PM.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Oriane:
    Another good one. This is from Proust collection as is Swann. I wonder why this is called Proust. Is it because it is more "cereberal" or because these frags are Remembrance of things past?
    In any case a beautiful ethereal floral. And it is NOT all natural. There are synthetics here in perfect harmony. This one also has the Blue raspberry Jolly Rancher note but here it is muted and works very well.
    In a perfect world, I would have a restaurant in Sweden and my girl would wear this to bed.
    Orianne and Swann were the two stand-outs the that I received.

I read your review on Beta a while back, you can tell from the tester being almost empty that I sampled it quite a lot trying to make heads or tails of it before really liking it at the end.

Basenotes Plus

Hello, fine fragranced friends! Apologies for my tardy arrival to the 4160 party. (Hopefully I’m still fashionably late? Maybe? / ) As the lovely and gracious PerfumedLady mentioned, I have in my hot little hands ~40~ (yes, forty→ F.O.R.T.Y.!!!!) pretty little samples from this quirky and creative perfume house. Thank you so much, PerfumedLady, for this sample pass and for including me! Thank you also to the kind and generous Kiliwia, for her contributions and inspiration! I am so happy to have survived the flu season (thus far, anyway) and the holidays and I am a little over 30% done with sampling everything, so the show is on the road and moving ahead, albeit thus far in the backstage. Poor lonely epapsiou! Sorry for not getting a chance to post sooner. You are such a dear and I agree with PL-- wonderful reviews and more than enough to keep this thread hopping with interest. (BTW, Kitty2Shoes, I didn’t think perfume could make me salivate, but the thought of an Advent calendar with samples very nearly did! lol!) Anyway, here are a few brief reviews to start. Due to the large number of samples and time constraints, I will try to be a bit more concise/ less rambling than usual, which is likely a good thing! Hopefully I will be able to send the West Coast set on to the East Coast in the next 7-10 days and then finish the other half.

London 1969

Opens with a fresh bergamot and tangy citrus that is heavy on the lemon. There are some crisp green, herbal notes, like some wet violet leaves crushed underfoot, and perhaps a cool floral such as LotV . In my notes, I have written “cocoa(?)” but to be honest, I have no recollection what that was! Lol! Apparently there was a phantom cocoa of some sort to my nose. The lemon becomes quite a bit stronger and green like lemongrass, and almost veers into functional lemon-scented-polish/soap/cleaning spray territory to my nose. However, this aspect soon softens and I was rather delighted to be reminded of the nostalgic clean, simple lemon musk of Love’s Fresh Lemon. A slightly sweeter floral becomes evident, and I was reminded a bit of honeysuckle or some delicately sweetened floral accord. As the scent wears on, a deeper, almost resinous herbal note comes to the fore, and it almost carries with it a humid feeling. This heavy, earthy, garden odor was perhaps patchouli, but not a headshop variety; it was much more subtle and blended into the composition. The scent developed a hint of woodiness, giving a whiff of dry cedar or pencil shavings, with maybe a tiny bit of spice. I happen to like these sorts of herbal and woody notes, (and all the more with some spice!) so this was a very nice surprise. As the dry down continued, it grew leathery and lovely, again just a wonderful surprise in the evolution. At this point, I was reminded quite a bit of the Courvoisier fragrance, which I like a lot. It wore on in this manner, a wonderful herbal, leathery skin scent for hours and it was so unexpectedly enjoyable.

What Katie did on Friday Night

Opens with a blast of sweet, fruity rose, citronella, and a green, rooty scent that reminds me of a peeled parsnip, of all things. A woody, leafy aspect grows and it smells like Katie had an awesome Friday night walk on the edge of some woods, with the remnants of her rosy perfume and citronella bug repellent still wafting lightly about her. The scent sits in this easy, comfy, quietly calm way and gradually grows a bit more citric, now juicier like oranges and lemons, but kept soft with some powdery, make up like notes. The face powder note is very slight, and could be some mix of rose, violet and iris. This aspect does not grow into a full fledged make up scent, as the prominent citrus plus rose bring to mind a lemon rose geranium as well. There is also something clean and bright and herbal at the edges, perhaps lavender. It grows deeper as it dries down and surprisingly has an increasingly perfumey feel, with something sparkly and shiny, with an aldehyde-like lightness sitting atop a berried fruitiness that has emerged from under the rose and other florals. It almost grows a bit boozy, and starts to have a very familiar feel of a fruity, rosy, vanilla/cocoa perfume that I feel like I must have in my wardrobe, but I cannot place it.

Time to Draw the Raffle Numbers

This one was an immediate and surprising blast from the past in the sense that the opening reminded me *exactly* of an herbal tonic loaded with minerals that an aunt gave me as a kid when I was misdiagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome and everyone wanted me to take this supplement and that vitamin and eat red meat and also more raisins, and all manner of other maddening things. (In case anyone is interested, I was fine. My parents should have let me ride my horse more often. I think the condition is called “being a spoiled teenager.” ) After the herbal tonic note (an earthy, minerally thing, sweetened, but with bitter herbs) dissipated, a wonderful leather arose, as if one had just settled into an old, deep, cushy leather sofa, with a pouch of good pipe tobacco resting on the side table, next to a glass of Grand Marnier. A vanillic tonka and coumarin sweetness develops to keep things from becoming too bitter. This is joined by a medley of cedar, vetiver, pepper, and various spices such as cloves and nutmeg. As the scent dries down, the cedar becomes a bit drier and more like pencil shavings, and the pepper and vetiver remain prominent. Although I do not sense fig wood, the wood and pepper reminds me of two fragrances that I really like, Carbone and Lothair.

Goodbye Piccadilly

Rather unexpectedly, this one opened with an almost minty cherry note that brought to mind a “Halls” throat lozenge, of all things. A sharp, camphoraceous lavender balanced the slightly sweet lozenge notes, and an added floral note with some vanilla also became apparent. The camphor element of the lavender or something else became stronger and combined with the mint-like note in the beginning to bring about a Vicks Vapo Rub scent. This all creates a somewhat unpleasant image of a sick room, fragrant with remainders of a floral perfume water and a calming lavender and vanilla linen spray overpowered by the scent of an abundance lozenges and the thickly applied chest rub one might use in mild desperation while ill, in the hope of achieving some comfort while waiting for a full recovery. However, it is much more than the smell of a sick person’s bedroom, and actually very pleasant! There is also a wonderful sensation of coolness like violet leaf and also that natural chill that comes with the menthol and camphor. This makes the cherry and spices that start to show in the heart and dry down seem light and bright. There is a vague similarity to L’elephant in the cherry and clove and peppery spices, although the fragrances are very vastly different on the whole. Some heavier oriental basenotes appear, also in diet version. Then a sort of delicious inedible aspect of lavender drizzled with caramel and vanilla that I found (and liked) in the first iteration of Guerlain’s Mon Exclusif and in the Lush scent, Twilight (incidentally also introduced to me by the wonderful PL!) It developed depth and heft and a seemingly inexplicable earthiness while remaining fairly light and happy hearted. I admired the scent more and more, and it also grew increasingly familiar and was strangely compelling. Then it hit me. I found myself unconsciously nodding and smiling and thinking of another dear BN friend once I figured it out. The dry down had turned into something very like the Lush scent, Lord of Misrule; I was given a lovely gift of the shower cream, and I loved it immediately. That scent is a weird, sweet, earthy patchouli, pepper and vanilla done in a synthetic, otherworldly way.

Sleep Knot

I am not sure what a sleep knot is, but the name initially made me think of the aria from Turandot “nessun dorma,” as in “no sleep” (sleep not), however, this scent gave me the sense that it might have been designed as a calming sleep aid, sort of helping you “tie the knot” with sleep. It also sounds like “slip knot,” but that made no sense, lol! After reading up on the scent when I was done sampling, I found that none of these were really at all what the perfumer had in mind! (LOL! Not surprised, though.) With most of these scents, the names are sort of quirky and so long that I often willfully ignored them and could not remember them fully after wearing the scents. I would abbreviate the names in my head, as they were so cumbersome, and without a backstory, they sound arbitrary and random instead of evocative of anything. Anyway, this one had a short name and it still created questions in my head, lol.

Despite whatever my petty qualms and questions, I quite like this scent! In fact, the first spray almost stole my breath, and I immediately thought “Oh, this is so beautiful!!!!!” It opened with a gorgeous melange of ylang ylang and jasmine, rich and sultry and a bit indolic. It had tinges of orange blossom and a sweet, grapey fruitiness that some white flowers have, and I felt already that it was everything I love. A bit of earthiness gave character and kept it from becoming “too much” or too shrill, and then a pretty, refreshing green note, perhaps a facet of the ylang, shone through. I sighed softly. As it dried down, the lovely, clean, creamy sandalwood became stronger, and created a soft pillow of scent. Simple, and perfect.

I am so in love with this perfume, it is not even funny. I feel like some kind of schoolgirl, and rather strangely, I might add, as even when I *was* a schoolgirl, I was too irritable and picky to have the sorts of schoolgirl crushes that everyone writes about.

Mother Nature’s Naughty Daughters

First impression: Pop rocks candy and L’Ombre dans l’Eau. First assessment: Yummmmmm! Lol. This fruity, rosy, musky, black currant filled scent reminded me of a few perfumes that I own and enjoy. The aforementioned Diptyque, as well as Balkis, Rose Muskissime, Amethyst, and Parisienne. This was a delightful scent, accented by a nice mineral, chalky note. The rose was lovely, the fruitiness was tart and mouth watering, and the currant never became urinous. The drydown was rich and boozy, the rose gradually reminding me slightly of the beauty that is La Rose Jacqueminot. This was nicely potent, wafting from my wrist for hours, even with a single small spray from the sample. Another that I just love. (PL, I think your predictions were probably spot on!)

More soon folks!
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

Always be smelling

Killer Rose:
    Start is screechy but moves on to Tocade+Spices very soon. Then the tocade-ness goes down and the fragrance settles in to a greenish smoky rose. Smoke is perhaps from cloves and or incense.
    A nice rose.
    Anyone here knows what rose is this. This rose is not Taif. It is thin and screechy. It is sued in Homage Attar too. Or is it perhaps a different extraction method ?

Edit:
    Looking at my review after Cestrum's monster post makes me feel very inadequate.
    Last edited by epapsiou; 16th January 2018 at 04:03 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Oh, you are too funny, e! Sadly, however, quantity does not necessarily equal quality! And, if I took all the random jibber jabber out of my reviews, I am sure they would be quite short! Still not sure about quality though! Lol! However, I hear mine are very popular with people who want to know about the health supplements that I took as a child, or perhaps read my tired, semi-brain dead ruminations on perfume names. Anyway, I was hoping to keep your company here!!!! You are probably almost finished by now though. Killer Rose sounds really good--- is that rose like a Grosjman rose by any chance? I have a set of quickie reviews for two that I kind of hated.

Dark Heart of Old Havana

Opens like a cheap candle scent, filled with an overly sweet, synthetic mess of fruit and thin, unrealistic tobacco. I imagine that one could even find a dollar store candle that would smell better than this. The too sweet, too candied notes are accented by a very fake pine scent, thankfully fairly light, but still very reminiscent of a car freshener. In a last attempt to create something dark, a halitosis like smell arises. Perhaps this is supposed to be a cigar aroma. Dry down is an equally unpleasant synthetic coconut plus a waft of a dollar store version of Brut aftershave. (Because normally, Brut is so expensive and high quality, of course!) This smells indie, in the worst way. It is almost masterfully bad and has successfully consolidated many of the problems one anticipates when sampling an indie creation with a funny name that is only sold online or.on Etsy. Nothing about it smells good-- even vaguely, the notes seem thrown together in a bewildering fashion, and as for the quality, well, it is as if the very cheapest of fragrance oils were mixed in a blend filled with nothing redeeming, save for the hopes of the perfumer.

Captured by Candlelight

This is Havana’s good pal. Opens with a blast of artificial rum and candied, overly sweet orange and coconut. Then a revolting caramel note fills the entire space. I am not very fond of caramel in edible or perfume versions, much less such a poor quality one, and this smells like a cheap candle that smothers you until you can't breathe. This gross, synthetic caramel and rummy thing goes on and on until the same synthetic, plasticky coconut in the beginning returns for an encore in the dry down. Yuk.
    Last edited by cestrum nocturnum; 17th January 2018 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Thems is backstabbing backslashes i tells you!!!
    ~ Henri Matisse

cestrum, those are superb reviews, extremely high quality and we must insist that you keep the jibber jabber! It's part of the fun!

I'm so happy that you liked Mother Nature's Naughty Daughters; I did have this picked as a possible cestrum scent. Bavard and I also noted the vintage vibe and felt it could have been part of Retro Roses. I love that you brought up La Rose Jacqueminot; these two scents do seem to run parallel in time to my thinking. Both are just bursting with non-rose notes with all of it heading toward a perfect boozy rose. Worth noting that this is probably the most popular of the pass. These are some tough noses to please and it hasn't failed.

Sleep Knot did surprise me! I was meh on it, though it is pretty. I should probably revisit this one later. Your Time to Draw the Raffle numbers review cracked me up and I agree you should have been allowed to ride your horse more often. Parents just don't understand.

Love your negative reviews too! These two sound like we're even on that J.Lo from the blind sniff. (JK; we were even as soon as I ate the Pocky. Speaking of, I found Pocky mecca. A great big tall stack of cases of Pocky at Costco!! I wanted to hug it.)

Looking forward to more monster posts please! But at your leisure only. I don't want you to get totally burned out!

Killer Rose, you know I've been waiting for your thoughts on this one, epapsiou! I'm intrigued by the Tocade connection. I can deal with and even love a screechy rose opening. "Greenish smoky rose" sounds awesome. You did not disappoint! Nowhere near "inadequate"; expert sample passer is the proper term. You know what you think when you smell it. I believe you and Kitty2Shoes are the only two here who have tried this so I can't say what sort of rose. "Not Taif" is good enough for me; will definitely try to smell this.

Green sounds like the sort of thing I like to put in the refrigerator in summer for cool spritzing. These scents have a usefulness, and this one actually sounds interesting.

Thank you both; I had such a fun read!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 17th January 2018 at 11:30 PM.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    cestrum, those are superb reviews, extremely high quality and we must insist that you keep the jibber jabber!
    Agreed, on both accounts

cestrum is always a good read, monster post or not. We all love the monsters, but know there are so many hours in a day. Glad you're here!

Always be smelling

OML - Indigo:

Indigo is not just a dye. It is world history in a word - cause of revolutions, wars, nobel prize, countless deaths and suffering and riches. Scratch that. Indigo is older than history. The original Blue Gold used to be ubiquitous. It was with you when you gazed at the rainbow and when you wore your first denim.
    Unfortunately, last few years have not been too kind and it is being slowly forgotten. Pink Floyd didn't care for it in Dark Side of the Moon and Gay Pride tossed it out .
    I am glad Sarah brought it out of its shell and tried to do justice to it.
    Inky,Incensey, not dry but fresh cut wood.

Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

Hello everybody
    I have Who Knew to swap, and some other stuff probably in due course.
    Anyone in the EU interested?
    Can't do the US or the UK because of mailing restrictions, sorry.

The sampling group members are all in the States but we have lots of Europeans following along. The right person might just see your post, Wild Gardener. Off topic-I love your username!

epapsiou, that's a beautiful post on Indigo. You have me very excited to sniff!

I'll be sampling the Advent calendar soon; epapsiou kindly offered to send them on. I'll begin posting thoughts in February on these and Eau My Soul. Needless to say, I'm eager to sniff all those new releases after such great posts by Kitty2Shoes and epapsiou! Many thanks to both of you for your interesting thoughts and for the opportunity to sniff!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; Yesterday at 06:39 PM.

Basenotes Plus

OML - Indigo:

Indigo is not just a dye. It is world history in a word - cause of revolutions, wars, nobel prize, countless deaths and suffering and riches. Scratch that. Indigo is older than history. The original Blue Gold used to be ubiquitous. It was with you when you gazed at the rainbow and when you wore your first denim.
    Unfortunately, last few years have not been too kind and it is being slowly forgotten. Pink Floyd didn't care for it in Dark Side of the Moon and Gay Pride tossed it out .
    I am glad Sarah brought it out of its shell and tried to do justice to it.
    Inky,Incensey, not dry but fresh cut wood.
    epapsiou, see, here you manage to be both full of thoughtful content and poetic. That’s an art. Bravo, man, bravo!

Wild Gardener, I love your user name, toooooo!!! (You probably didn't know it, but you stumbled upon some avid gardeners in this thread!)

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    cestrum, those are superb reviews, extremely high quality and we must insist that you keep the jibber jabber! It's part of the fun!

I'm so happy that you liked Mother Nature's Naughty Daughters; I did have this picked as a possible cestrum scent. Bavard and I also noted the vintage vibe and felt it could have been part of Retro Roses. I love that you brought up La Rose Jacqueminot; these two scents do seem to run parallel in time to my thinking. Both are just bursting with non-rose notes with all of it heading toward a perfect boozy rose. Worth noting that this is probably the most popular of the pass. These are some tough noses to please and it hasn't failed. [...]
    Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Agreed, on both accounts

cestrum is always a good read, monster post or not. We all love the monsters, but know there are so many hours in a day. Glad you're here!

PerfumedLady and IsoE, thank you both for your kind words and encouragement!

PL, I am glad that you and Bavard also found a vintage feel in MNND. That was a surprise for me and such a pleasant one! In fact, I have felt surprised by many of these, lol! Part of this might not be entirely due to the artistry of the perfumer... I was really sick for what seemed like 2 months, so I do wonder if my nose is off still. Sometimes I feel like it is not quite right. I am really curious about Goodbye Piccadilly. I really questioned my nose on that one after I read other reviews! (Violets and leather? Where?!? I have and love Jolie Madame, and all I got was Halls and Vick’s Vapo Rub! And I doubt that was the desired effect! I feel cheated now! LOL!) At any rate, I may take another quick sniff of that one. PL, a mountain of Pocky sounds wonderfully delicious!!! God, I hate Costco! But Pocky may have partially redeemed them- finally something good in big box format!!!!

Ok, anyway, here are a few more reviews! Sorry for the delay in posting-- I gave it a shot over the weekend, but the lag times just getting the multi-quotes to work was excruciating and I did not want to waste time trying to post things and then lose it all. Oh, and I do believe that I am done sampling the first half and I will be sending them off to epapsiou soon.

Tart’s Knicker Drawer

Opens with a leathery, makeup blast. The rose, violet and iris are the main players, but the leather provides a nice tableau for them. This smells more like a leather purse with makeup than an underwear drawer. Candied berry notes bring to mind the candy in that purse. The powdery make up note continues through the heart, and a sort of floral, lotiony scent, similar to a sunscreen fragrance. As that lotiony aspect grows stronger, I begins to sense a benzyl salicylate, chemical type of floral, with perhaps some LotV, clean floral. It reminds me of Coppertone sunscreen. This has a bit of the harsh chemical aroma that these lotions tend to have, but eventually, a creamy peachy note comes out and it is much more pleasant. The powdery iris and candied notes are still there with the overall makeup like scent, but these take the center stage and it now reminds me the tiniest a bit of an HdP, although I can’t really place which one it might be… maybe one of the Tubereuses-- perhaps 1? To be frank, I forgot I was even sampling this one, so I may have missed some of the evolution by neglecting to check, but
    the drydown seemed uneventful and it did not seem to develop much, save for perhaps growing a fading into a still sweet, musky, vanillic thing.

Sex Goddess

Upon first spray: Allure Sensuelle. To me, this smells very similar to AS. It is less sweet, and has a sharper opening, soon to be all filled in with flowers such as rose, jasmine, and magnolia, sweets, patchouli, powdery iris, warm amber, vanilla and musk. As the heart emerges, the differences between the two become even starker, and this has some smoky, bitterness that is absent in the Chanel. Some woody, pencil shaving note and spicy pepper and incense also create more complexity. It feels more “natural” and less polished than the Chanel, and in the dry down grows soapy, but like that weird, dried powder hand soap. As time passes, it seems lactonic and creamy, and it brings to mind heavy creams, such a Nivea. After a while, it takes on another heavy cream scent, but this time, it is surprisingly like one heavy in lanolin. I am not fond of the smell of lanolin, so this was not entirely pleasant, but it was mercifully light and disappeared fairly quickly. I am thankful for the Chanel, which I own and enjoy.

Inevitable Crimes of Passion

Begins with a boozy orange note, not unlike the Grand Marnier aspect in Raffle. However, this is overlaid atop a layer of cocoa powder and dry dusty herbs and coniferous notes. Then this citrus-conifer takes on more of a salty ambergris like scent, but also grows more woodsy. It soon developed a smoky, acrid, burnt aroma and a stronger and increasingly bitter dark cocoa. In the end, this slightly strange scent reminded me most of composted redwood chips, with heat rising into cold air as it decays into the earth. This was the character of the fragrance for the rest of the wearing.

Lady Rose Lion (Monkey Unicorn)

Well, I'm back to some jibber jabbering here. I know it is irrelevant, but I have to say that I really dislike this name. These are all cute words-- some of my favorite things, really. However, each time I read it, I cannot shake the image of a bratty, none-to-smart-yet-still-a-smart-ass kid answering a question with this nonsensical string of words in a stupidly defiant and irritating gesture. Now that I’ve gotten that off of my chest, I can admit that I really like this perfume. A lot. I drew a little heart next to it in my notes. (Ok, confession: I did that to a few of the samples so far. I’ll let you guess which ones.) So I suppose I would add a penciled in heart beside the string of words. LOL!

This one opens with a hard, sharp leather, rose and saffron. For me, this was very pleasant and easy to love. It has a creamy feel even though the leather, rose and saffron all have substance and depth. The raspberry note becomes apparent, but it is not syrupy to my nose. (This stage brings to mind DYLEEDP of retro roses fame, lol.) It accents a lovely plushy, chewy iris note and makes a delicious accord. I sensed some patchouli, and together with the iris, I was reminded of another favorite perfume, Shalimar Parfum Initial. That flanker is often panned, but I love it. The beautiful rose continues and seems partnered now with ambrette and yet another favorite is brought to mind, Ce Soir ou Jamais. As the dry down begins, a wonderful peachy, lactonic mossy combination becomes evident. This is just lovely, and I am awed by McCartney’s skill and ability to create this stunning base, which is similar to Mitsuoko, and of course, is also just amazing in Doe in the Snow, from this same perfumer and house. The late dry down is still great, a solid vanilla musk, which I know sounds uninspired, but is so well done, I can only appreciate it all the more.

Mrs. Gloss & the Goss

I am going to copy and paste epapsiou’s excellent and concise review of Lemon Sherbet here. It fits perfectly.

Lemon Sherbet:

I don't think Sarah has made real Lemon Sherbet
    his one is Vanilla+Lemon. Musk later on.

Lemon Meringue Pie is what this should have been named. [...]
    I will just add that this did also have a stand out grapefruit note that was gorgeous. It really was everything I would want in a grapefruit. The drydown smelled like a delicious vanilla cake after the citruses faded. Overall, it reminded me of La Vanila Lemon Vanilla and DKNY Sweet Delicious Lemon Meringue. I do love these for a light hearted, cheap thrill on a hot day, and this is one that would fit right in with the others. Perhaps too well, as I have both and this would really be a bit redundant, and further, I think I like the DKNY best of the three for a gourmand lemon vanilla fragrance. However, the grapefruit note is so excellent, it may warrant a bottle as well!
    ~ Henri Matisse