Code of Conduct

Default montale vs arabian oud vs amouage

Can someone do a typical breakdown of these three and how they rank/different?

it seems like they are all western adaptations on Arabian perfumery but basenotes searches on threads just give very arbitrary differences (ie non traditional approach)?

Also I searched the forums for suggestions from montale and amouage, but finding suggestions from arabian oud seems more difficult. I guess their ouds are something I look forward to trying, anything else?

I plan on trying oud and rose. maybe some leather and oud, and then maybe some green (im talking a good batch of Creed IT) and maybe some citrus (better than guerlain boisee, is it possible?)
    Last edited by throwitdontshowit; 27th July 2017 at 09:39 AM.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: montale vs arabian oud vs amouage

Quote Originally Posted by throwitdontshowit View Post
    Also I searched the forums for suggestions from montale and amouage, but finding suggestions from arabian oud seems more difficult.
    My guess is because it is a much newer house and doesn't have as good a distribution network as the others.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    My guess is because it is a much newer house and doesn't have as good a distribution network as the others.
    arabian oud was founded in 1982 but they were focusing most of the years in saudi arabia and surrounding countries. also, their products can only be found in their boutiques and more recently through the online store. they don't distribute to retailers as you mentioned.
    Currently wearing: Lost Cherry by Tom Ford

As joov was saying, Arabian oud is an Arabian company that pretty much only sells in the Gulf. They only recently opened a few stores in the West (London, NYC, Paris), so they're not big in the West. However, unlike the other companies, they do offer some of their traditional attar range in their Western stores. We will need the input from our fellow BNers who live in the Gulf about it. My understanding from their previous conversations is that Arabian oud is considered one of the top companies in the Gulf for their expensive range of attars. I won a Syoufi oud that's quite good, and an old attar (now discontinued) called Al Azerya that a couple of BNers are enamored with. But as said we're talking about the very expensive ones. Regularly priced ones, and their alcohol based perfumes, are more hit and miss; Kalemat (a leather) has received some attention on this forum.

Amouage alcohol based perfumes are for all purposes in the Western style. The first ones were extremely rich and comples, nowadays a bit less so, though it's a house still worth exploring. Their citrus offer is Silver, which used to be heavenly, now it's just good, though whether worth the price is a different story.

Montale is known for popularizing oud style perfumes in western niche perfumery. Their oud reconstruction is a bit sharp and woody, and as far as I understand, not loved by many Arabian connoisseurs who are used to expensive oud attars. But they have their interest. They have a famous oud leather perfume called Oud Cuir d'Arabie (they also have another one called Leather aoud, which is very sharp, though interesting).

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Arabian Oud has a boutique in NYC, which I have visited a few times. I am not sure if they send samples. I have Royal Musk Gazelle, Gentlemen's Secret and, as cacao mentions, Kalemat (though I wouldn't call it a leather fragrance) and its oil-based flankers, Kalemat Amber and Kalemat Floral. The basic Kalemat has been reformulated since my older bottle was produced and, based on my in-store sampling, today the release called, alternatively, Seher Al Kalemat or Kalemat Black seems the better pick. AO's in-store offerings are very broad -- broader than the BN directory or even AO's own website would suggest. Like most producers, it's hit and miss. But the good ones are not only good but invariably excellent values.

Quote Originally Posted by joov84 View Post
    arabian oud was founded in 1982 but they were focusing most of the years in saudi arabia and surrounding countries. also, their products can only be found in their boutiques and more recently through the online store. they don't distribute to retailers as you mentioned.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

My visiting list for when I make it out to the city next time, will probably hit up at most 2 places at a time:

arabian: montale Santal de Mysore and Indian Safran Aoud Cuir d'Arabie

vs arabian oud ( Royal Musk Gazelle, Gentlemen's Secret and, as cacao mentions, Kalemat, al azerya, syouf oud) vs

amouage (epic man, jubilation, interlude)
    Last edited by throwitdontshowit; 27th July 2017 at 08:53 PM.

My visiting list for when I make it out to the city next time, will probably hit up at most 2 places:

arabian: montale Santal de Mysore and Indian Safran
    I can pretty much assure you that you won't find these anywhere anymore. They were discontinued a long time ago in Paris. Never even made it to the States. Was lucky to be in Paris when they came out.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I can pretty much assure you that you won't find these anywhere anymore. They were discontinued a long time ago in Paris. Never even made it to the States. Was lucky to be in Paris when they came out.
    As I said before one of my standards for fragrance buying and investing so much time into some are t hat I should be able to buy them for life (ie 15 years +).

The lack of info on Arabian Oud makes me wary of visiting it, as much as I have comed to love Attars I feel like Misk Shoppe, particularly being South Asian (Pakistani American) myself tend to be arond a lot longer. My dad recently had his students come from India and they brought him, as is typical, attars from a shop which has been established for three generations. I might visit but I don't think I will make a purchase then. I really want to try Kalemat.

Any suggestions for a rose oud I fee llike those two notes would dance together. I have a leather woody oud right now from Misk Shoppe

Any suggestions for a rose oud I fee llike those two notes would dance together.
    Oud et Rose by S.T. Dupont