Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Who's tried Les Indémodables? Thoughts?

New in Les Senteurs it seems:

http://www.lessenteurs.com/c/3104/Les-Indémodables

And from their newsletter:

"When we smelt these fragrances they had a truly unusual quality, quite different to anything we had smelt before! Their lightness and understated feel was paired with real depth, with each scent having its own jewel-like texture.

This is because the naturals in these fragrances are produced by L’Atelier Français des Matières, a lab in Annecy who extract their own naturals on a small-scale, by hand. Les Indémodables makes use of 'alcoolat' extracts (a time-consuming method devised in the 1920s for the making of Arpège) that is no longer widely used, but gives a lightness that is impossible with an absolute.

The lab was founded by Valerie’s husband Remi (previously in charge of natural ingredients supply and ethical partnership at Givaudan), and their holistic approach means they also guide their clients through the entire process of creating a fragrance, making it a unique setup in niche perfumery."

Cuir de Chine and Iris Perle sound nice. Not cheap...
    Currently wearing: Diorella by Christian Dior

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Who's tried Les Indémodables? Thoughts?

Happen to have tried all four. A business associate brought samples from London. Cuir De Chine for me is the standout but all are very nice IMO.
    Last edited by hednic; 29th July 2017 at 06:22 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be very curious. Cuir de Chine is a novel name - Nuit de Chine or Cuir de Russie- there must be a nuit de Russie somewhere. Osmanthus and leather is definitely a good idea (unless the osmanthus itself is the cuir of the name), Lutens Sarrasins had some of the theme.

cacio

I have Azural but pretty much loved them all

Basenotes Plus

Popped into Les Senteurs today and had a sniff. They are nice. Cuir de Chine is the only one I tried on skin. Found it much more about the osmanthus than the leather, in the same way Galop is more about rose and quince. The osmanthus has that juicy sweet-sharpness. Also tried Iris Perle on card (floral, rather fresh iris rather than cold and rooty) and Chypre Azural (very nice citrus-fresh).

Basenotes Plus

I think of the three I probably like Azural the best. It's more complicated than just citrus obviously but I find it hard to describe. Not sure it would suit me but it's rather beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDalloway View Post
    I think of the three I probably like Azural the best. It's more complicated than just citrus obviously but I find it hard to describe. Not sure it would suit me but it's rather beautiful.
    +1 citrus with a twist which is hard to nail down -- amazing drydown

The 'fougere' is lovely to imo and that 'iris' is wonderfully fresh

I think I'll buy all of them [eventually}

*RESURRECTED*

Any further thoughts on this house? Has anyone tried their Musc des Sables? Perfumer: Antoine Lie.

EE122DB0-0E2E-48B4-B4D7-B6EFEC549464.jpg
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

I tried Rose de Jamal, Chypre Azural, Musc des Sables and Iris Perle. I liked Chypre Azural the best, Iris Perle the least. Musc des Sables was nice but subtle, wish it were stronger. The rose was nice and potent.

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    I tried Rose de Jamal, Chypre Azural, Musc des Sables and Iris Perle. I liked Chypre Azural the best, Iris Perle the least. Musc des Sables was nice but subtle, wish it were stronger. The rose was nice and potent.
    Thank you for the insight. Will add them to my sampling list...
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

I am today trying Chypre Azural, and it's definitely one of the best citruses I've smelled, ever. The price is super steep for me, though

in civet est veritas

I stopped by Scent Bar (Luckyscent) yesterday and got my first sniffs on a few of these.

I like what I see (nice packaging mechanicals and art) and the compositions all have an original twist but also are hommage to classic structures. That alone catches my attention.

I took home a sample of Chypre Azural and Iris Perle but have yet to test on skin.

/Acey

I agree on the pricing, but looking around the niche line-ups these days such $/cc numbers are becoming more and more the norm. I don't like it -- yet it is what it is. Of course, the jus just needs to be that much more inviting for me to pull the FB trigger (and the houses should account for that. Not everyone lives on the Veblen Curve...).