Code of Conduct

Lightbulb Have you tried any Parfums Grès perfumes?

I stumbled across this perfume brand while browsing online and from the reviews I read they seem to be good quality and pretty cheap too. Have you tried Grès perfumes and what is your opinion? I'm thinking about blind buying Lumière d'Orient as I saw people commenting on how similar it is to TF Black Orchid, although there aren't many reviews.. Plus the bottle is very pretty . I can get it online for about $30 so do you think it's worth blind buying?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Have you tried any Parfums Grès perfumes?

Grès is often found in discount stores that sell cheap clothes. I have sampled one or two but I wouldn't consider buying any of their stuff. It (and 95% of the perfumes in those shops) generally smells cheap and nasty. So the advice would be no, don't buy blind.

Has the current Gres any meaningful relation to the firm that created Cabochard?

Cabochard was a masterpiece, but current iterations aren't.
    Cabaret (a woody rose) was still good as of three or four years ago, but I don't know what's going on now.
    I have not tried any other.

cacio

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I happen to own two bottles from this house - Homme De Gres and Caberet Homme, both of which I like very much. Seem to have gotten them a long time ago from what I recall
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Hmmm....I suppose perception is different for different people, right?

I own a couple of bottles by Parfums Grès. I own Lumière d'Orient and Madame Grès.
    I find both bottles to be worthy additions to my collections. The bottles are lovely...heavy glass and nice fittings. The perfume inside is well-made and sophisticated. I would not consider them "cheap" smelling and certainly the bottles are far above "cheap".

To my nose and on my skin, Parfums Grès are reasonably long-lasting with moderate sillage.
    If pressed, I would say that Madame Grès is reminiscent of Miss Dior Le Parfum - and it wears very similarly.
    I would say that Lumière d'Orient straddles a line somewhere between Black Orchid and Coco Mademoiselle.
    I like both perfumes.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Lorien; 2nd August 2017 at 09:32 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

Cabaret (a woody rose) was still good as of three or four years ago, but I don't know what's going on now.
    Sniffed it within the past year, it's still quite nice. And as Hednic says, the Homme version is more than passable.

Basenotes Plus

I've only briefly sampled 3: Cabochard, Cabotine and Homme. I don't know about those Gres fragrances OP highlighted but I thought Cabochard was very good. I had the chance to acquire a vintage years ago but passed up on the chance because I didn't care for its outdated looking packaging. Yeah, I'm a little weird. Anyway if you enjoy a scent and the price feels right, go and get it. Second-guessing yourself is not a good habit.

Cabotine is a lovely, hellishly potent floral musky-green with an overall feel not too far away from Tommy Girl. I own a few bottles of it and quite like it on the right person. This one really stands out because it's really unique. The EdT has a zingy ginger bite that's tamed in Cabotine EdP. Despite it smells truly lovely, wearing it as a male is somewhat challenging.
    Other thing is Homme de Grès. This is a hidden vintage gem. A lavender-basil citrus fougère with strong chypre aspects. It starts oldschool to the bone and finishes with an almost endless dry-cedar/ambery drydown. Lots of moss in here. The hefty Grès bottles are a pleasure to use.
    Currently wearing: Sybaris by Antonio Puig

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I happen to own two bottles from this house - Homme De Gres and Caberet Homme, both of which I like very much. Seem to have gotten them a long time ago from what I recall
    Same here.

I really enjoy both fragrances and I'd highly recommend them to anyone.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

The consensus that modern versions of Grès fragrances are not good, is unfortunately true. Cabotine is pretty unpleasant now. I own an ancient bottle of Grès Pour Homme which I still, occasionally, wear. A lovely Lavender, Mossy, Musky fragrance. Discontinued of course. Probably due to the amount of Musk Ambrette and Oakmoss it contained.
    Last edited by David Ruskin; 3rd August 2017 at 09:35 AM.

Blog Entries

Old Cabochard was outstanding, the modern one an outrage.

Since Cabotine was mentioned, would really like to know out of curiosity whether there is any release by this house that matches the craftiness and beauty of vintage Cabotine? At least someone, in fact more than one person enjoy Cabotine quite a a bit and even the compliments it got them, so thought it would make a good idea for a present.
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Since Cabotine was mentioned, would really like to know out of curiosity whether there is any release by this house that matches the craftiness and beauty of vintage Cabotine? At least someone, in fact more than one person enjoy Cabotine quite a a bit and even the compliments it got them, so thought it would make a good idea for a present.
    Pity you're too far away to ship to, Ken_R. I have at least 3 bottles you could gladly have for free. Don't know why I kept buying it, I disliked each version more than the last. But maybe none of mine qualify as what you're calling 'vintage'.

And did any scent ever have more flankers than Cabotine?? There must be more than a dozen of them.

Still grateful about the idea just the same- besides, this could be a good pretext to finally take the time and look into their flankers (yes, even if the quantity seems to exceed the quality, one might never know until actually trying) and who knows, maybe will find something appropriate for the respective persons anyway, even when least expected.
    As an addition idea, considering to also test Cabaret asap, remembering that it was and still is held in quite high esteem by reviewers both within and outside of BN, Youtube and similar fragrance formus/communities.
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    considering to also test Cabaret asap, remembering that it was and still is held in quite high esteem by reviewers both within and outside of BN, Youtube and similar fragrance formus/communities.
    Yes, I'd certainly take Cabaret (male or female) any day over any version of Cabotine.

I even like the way the Cabaret bottle has a kind of "circus" look to it. A little trashy, but fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Gardener View Post
    Old Cabochard was outstanding, the modern one an outrage.
    Hear, hear. Had its heart torn out.