Code of Conduct
    Wearing Perfume Right Now

Default A Primer on Chanel Cristalle

I'm curious to hear summaries of Chanel Cristalle.

I was talking to someone who said she used to have a Cristalle splash, and then later had a spray that was just the Eau de Toilette.

Based on what I can gather, she had the original edt in a splash bottle when it just said Cristalle, with no mention on the bottle that it was edt.

What can you tell me about Cristalle old and new, edt and edp, and even the Eau Verte flanker?

I see I can get all three from the Chanel website. How is the current edt compared to the original?

It seems as if people tend to prefer the edt to the edp. I've only tried the vintage edp, which was really fruity, strong, and quite long lasting.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: A Primer on Chanel Cristalle

I've got a vintage EDT which is very nice, though it's lost some citrus from the top. The current EDT is also very good, maybe a touch richer and more nuanced in the top and heart than my old spray, but less so in the base. They're very similar though, so I haven't bought the new one. There's an interview with Luca Turin - I think a report on Persolaise's blog of a q&a session in 2015 - where he says Cristalle is as good as ever.

Personally I don't much like the EDP; the opening is lovely but then it cloys a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I'm curious to hear summaries of Chanel Cristalle.

I was talking to someone who said she used to have a Cristalle splash, and then later had a spray that was just the Eau de Toilette.

Based on what I can gather, she had the original edt in a splash bottle when it just said Cristalle, with no mention on the bottle that it was edt.

What can you tell me about Cristalle old and new, edt and edp, and even the Eau Verte flanker?

I see I can get all three from the Chanel website. How is the current edt compared to the original?

It seems as if people tend to prefer the edt to the edp. I've only tried the vintage edp, which was really fruity, strong, and quite long lasting.
    I have two vintage bottles of Cristalle EdT (both 59mL vaporizers). The older of the two has "CRISTALLE" at the top of the box with "EAU DE TOILETTE SPRAY" at the bottom and the second bottle has "EAU DE TOILETTE SPRAY" at the top of the box with "CRISTALLE" underneath, though still a vintage example. The vintage EdT is pretty remakable, and is loaded with oakmoss. It's simultaneously austere but inviting. Excellent on male skin, my wife finds it "too masculine" for her personal use.
    Currently wearing: Knize Ten by Knize

I remember somebody saying that Cristalle was thought and created in edt. I may be wrong of course.
    But I do feel that this is about the icy galbanum, and the edt does it nicely. Any addition makes it heavier. I have not tested it extensively, but I do think the edp is indeed too heavy. I'm very satisfied with the current edt.
    The eau verte is a great flanker. Lighter, more floral and citrusy, in a way more like a traditional citrus masculine.

cacio

I don't have as nuanced a perspective as other commenters, nor have I tried other formulations, but I love the current EdT. It is infinitely wearable, even for work. I find it to be very dry and green, but complex enough to be interesting. Not much fruit that I could detect.

I am not very good at descriptions, but having just sampled my vintage minis, the edp has much less brightness and green. It is more of a honeyed melon.
    “Let the beauty we love, be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.” -Rumi

I'd like to compare the current and vintage edts. The new version sounds great, but I love oak moss-rich fragrances so much, it makes me wonder if an older version might be my preference.

For me the edt and edp are very different. I love the edt but it is quite fleeting, while the edp is less sharp, more floral and somehow a little fruity (but in no way oversweet). The edp is a very nice perfume if considered apart from the edt - side by side for me there's no comparison.

I've been wearing the edt off and on for around 30 years, and while I remember an amazing fresh burst from my youth, I can't honestly say that the more recent versions are very noticeably lessened by restrictions on oakmoss, although the last bottle I got felt a little 'thin'.

Best of luck in your quest!

I have old and new (er) edt and edp, Cristalle.
    Honestly, the old and the newer Cristalle are very much the same to my nose. Both are wonderful.

As for the edp - a different animal, but a similar animal.

Again, the older and the newer edp are both very good.

If you are concerned about the absence of oakmoss, go for an older version of either. Not hard to find on Ebay.

The EDT was replaced in my affections by Eau du Sud, but I still have a bottle of EDP and there are days when nothing else fits that yearning, a tolerance for melon I think. Is it fair to say that those of us who love No 19 find a fondness for Cristalle? Here, at the bottom of the world, it is impossible to obtain vintage anything, let alone vintage kept in good condition, so the reformulations are the only option. I'm inclined to agree with LT on Cristalle, very good.
    The years teach us much, which the days never knew

If I remember well the Edt and the Edp are purposedely different scents. The original Edt (the "true" Cristalle) is a typical green mossy chypre from the 1970's (think Eau de Rochas). Years ago I also found it very similar to Diorella but not so much nowadays: I am familiar with the reformulation of Diorella but with what may have happened to Cristalle although it smells different to me.

The Edp is from the 1990's and not as exuberant and sharp as the edt. Still from the chypre family but rather floral. To my nose there is a very distinct honeysuckle note. It is the one I own.

Eau verte is more of a cologne, very little staying power. If I remember well a magnolia note. I wore it when it came out and it is one of my favourite scents in my own "breath of spring air" category.
    Currently wearing: Samsara by Guerlain

Parfum de peau
    interesting comparison with eau de rochas (I assume the pour femme). I only have the current one, and the current one is definitely sweet citrus (comparisons could be with the current Eau Neuve by Lubin), while Cristalle is more about the green and galbanum. Vintage Diorella also had a sweet note. But as you point out, who knows what happened to all of these through time.

cacio

I smelled Eau de Rochas recently and it is definitely different and not in a good way... Likewise for Cristalle edt. No blind buy even for old goodies.
    Currently wearing: Samsara by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I was at a perfume shop that had Cristalle this weekend, and I tried the edt. It had a brilliant opening and I bought a bottle for my friend. Wearing it for the rest of the day, it had moments in the late mid that were a bit oak mossy, but that burned off, and the base smelled moss free to my nose - something else was making it last a long time. The base was ok, but not as good as the opening through the late mid.

As summarized in this thread - thank you all for posting - the edt is quite different from the edp. The edt is more green herbal, bright, and fresh; the edp is richer, sweeter, and fruity.

I tried Cristalle EDT and I actually bought a 100 ml bottle of No 19 EDT out of loyalty, but I probably shouldn't have. Another fragrance that seems much attenuated is Caleche by Hermes. Eau de Rochas changed dramatically about five years ago. On the upside I got a compliment from a department store saleslady yesterday, I was wearing No 19 Poudre. In five years time we will probably be bemoaning the deterioration of that fragrance. The You Tube Video of Christopher Sheldrake, promoting No 19 Poudre, tells the story of Iris butter and is beautiful to watch.

Is vintage Cristalle EdT less bright and "champagne-y" at top? @MrsDalloway said her vintage lost some of its citrus top notes. I am considering a vintage purchase, possibly from the the earlier batches in the 70s, and would love anyone's input. The reason I'm looking into vintage Cristalle is the oakmoss. At the same time, I don't want to lose that bright, crisp, grassy, champagne-y opening.
    Currently wearing: Nahéma by Guerlain

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mongut View Post
    Is vintage Cristalle EdT less bright and "champagne-y" at top? @MrsDalloway said her vintage lost some of its citrus top notes. I am considering a vintage purchase, possibly from the the earlier batches in the 70s, and would love anyone's input. The reason I'm looking into vintage Cristalle is the oakmoss. At the same time, I don't want to lose that bright, crisp, grassy, champagne-y opening.
    Buying vintage is always a crapshoot, so take that into consideration. And topnotes are always the first to go. However, as with many scents that are fortified with a lot of oakmoss, I think Cristalle ages beautifully. We don't talk a lot about aging in perfumery (at least not yet), but it happens. My vintage EdTs (I pick up the travel refills when I find them, because I read that they were part of the initial launch, and so I'm pretty sure about their age) all feature that very aromatic just-past-ripe melon in the opening, but they're still bright to my nose. After that, it really is about the play between the fruit and the galbanum and evenutally the moss. I think aging adds a layer of complexity to the melon-y opening, putting it in that place where fruit and flowers are almost indistinguishable, and the galbanum is still stiff but it smells somehow integrated into the whole.

I prefer the EdT. I believe cacio is correct about Cristalle's conception as an edt. I don't believe Chanel ever released it as a parfum, and that says a lot about the intentions.

BTW, don't be afraid of vintage bottles of Cristalle that show a little color--I believe that I read somewhere that it was a pale amber in its first incarnation (and if I'm wrong, somebody please jump in and correct me)--mine is, and it does not smell oxidized.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bal a Versailles View Post
    The EDT was replaced in my affections by Eau du Sud, but I still have a bottle of EDP and there are days when nothing else fits that yearning, a tolerance for melon I think. Is it fair to say that those of us who love No 19 find a fondness for Cristalle? Here, at the bottom of the world, it is impossible to obtain vintage anything, let alone vintage kept in good condition, so the reformulations are the only option. I'm inclined to agree with LT on Cristalle, very good.
    I think that's completely fair. I was a No.19 girl from my very early perfume days, and Cristalle speaks to me in a similar way, albeit without the iris heart. To trot out a hoary but useful metaphor, it's kind of like No. 19's perky daughter.

I found a 2012 bottle of EDT with about 30 mls remaining in my big dark drawer. It is sharp, and still sufficiently mossy for me. We are coming into summer here in the Southern Hemisphere, think I'll keep this baby out and finish it. I don't chase vintage perfumes in my country because homes aren't air conditioned and the general populace has no clue of how to store perfume, but I love reading about perfect vintage buys! I'm a masochist, I guess.

What year would be considered new vs old?I only have an edt 2002....

Quote Originally Posted by annetteo View Post
    What year would be considered new vs old?I only have an edt 2002....
    Oh, I think that's a very perky daughter. LOL.

Basenotes Plus

2002 would probably be perfect; before the run of reformulation around 2008 but still quite fresh. I have a no 19 edt from around then which is great.

I used to love Cristalle edt. It was my go-to daytime frag in the late 80s - 90s, but haven't smelled it for ages. I am heartened to hear that it has not changed much, or is still seen as good. I loved that whole sparkling champagne citrus mellowing into green hyacinth and mossy woods. Is it still like that?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bal a Versailles View Post
    Oh, I think that's a very perky daughter. LOL.

I would be remiss not to post a picture of this Cristalle deodorant I recently received. It smells amazing.

E119CC0C-D300-4FA4-B38F-82CFC2835205.jpg

I have new bottles of both EDT and EDP, and I love both of them. I find the EDP to be indeed a bit more lush, with more of an inky effect pulled from the oak moss. But both definitely feature oak moss, no doubt, and the chypre accord is intact. Discovering Cristalle definitely felt like coming across treasure that had been hiding in plain sight this whole time. It deserves more attention, especially in on the male discussion side when similar things like Chanel Pour Monsieur or Eau Sauvage come up. The EDT easily sits in a similar category.