Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Hilde Soliani Discussion Thread

Hi guys,

I did the search, but couldn't find a thread on Hilde Soliani perfumes, so here it is

I have recently gone through a bunch of samples and would like to share my thoughts as well as discuss them with you. I think it might be helpful to have a dedicated thread for anyone interested in the brand, because there really aren't many infos available on BN. I will be posting my thoughts on the ones I tried and would love everyone to join me.

Hilde Soliani is an Italian artist; painter, theatric performer, jewelery designer and perfumer and her perfumes are lively, straightforward and fun!

I first tried some of them a few years a go and, I will be honest and say that at that point, they weren't exactly what I was looking for. For the most part, they weren't ''typical'' and mainstream enough for my tastes. I think the literality of them caught me by surprise and the raw, unusual realistic-ness kind of scared me.
    These perfumes are fun and unusual in many ways, They are mostly not complicated compositions, but the combination of notes is often weird with unexpectedly good results. They are not polished to death, not constructed in a way that would be universally appealing and that gives them charm, a human touch and a different kind of liveliness. They are not made for masses, and while many of them are straightforward, as in *you get what it says on the tin* and easygoing, I don't think they have a mass appeal. There are also more complex ones in the lineup, as well as some that I found completely excentric and unwearable, but I think gourmands are what she does best.

One of the things that especially appeals to me is that they are seemingly simplistic, literal and feature what seem to be rather undervalued themes in high perfumery, but succesfully avoid smelling boring, childish, plastic, cheap and unfinished. I think it takes talent to achieve that. They are straightforward, but not one-dimensional or flat. They are like snapshots of one particular moment, feeling, mood, taste... And I appreciate that - doing one thing, but doing it right, instead of trying to do many things at once. Perfumes that do many things at once confuse me. Another very important thing to me is that they are very much a "finished" product, unlike what was mostly my experience with indie so far.
    I really like her unapologetic style that does fun which doesn't smell funny! Somehow, in my head these fragrances evoke an image of creating with bare hands, with a dream and idea instead of just formula that will sell. I love the way she is very clearly true to herself from those first fragrances to the newest releases, they all have her distinct style.
    I think this is the first time a smaller, indie (artisanal?) brand really worked for me so in a way, this was an eye opener to finally see the appeal of a "human touch" that a smaller brand brings, and how in terms of joy and uniqueness, it can feel even more special and go beyond the 'flawlessness" and universality of big brands' perfumes.

Here is what I have and I will be posting my impressions in the next days;
    Crema di Latte, VaniChoc, Orgasmo, Il Tempo delle Mele, Sweet Home, Una tira l'Altra, Miss Trenchant, Dolciiiiisimo, Bacio, Amore, Buon Pranzo, Il tuo tulipano rosso, Conaffetto, Loggione, Cioccochic, Io.
    I had samples of Fighissimo, Freschissimo, Vani Chic, Sipario, Fragola Salaaaataa, but I no longer have them, and my memory is rather vague but I'll try to drop a line or two anyway. I will also be receiving a few more samples in the next days so will update the list.

I would love all of you to join me with your thoughts on any of Soliani's fragrances you tried or would like to try.

Thank you for reading!
    Last edited by Vernona; 7th August 2017 at 10:57 PM.
    Mi sagli smo glave, u strahu da biće još gore...i biće, jer sagli smo glave...a ljubav živi...
    Currently wearing: Beyond Love by By Kilian

Default Re: Hilde Soliani Discussion Thread

Oh, and here's my Hilde collection thus far. One more will join the crowd soon.

Can you tell I hit jackpot with the brand, gourmands-wise?

Mi sagli smo glave, u strahu da biće još gore...i biće, jer sagli smo glave...a ljubav živi...

Vani Choc - the perfect citrusy vanila. Perfectly fluffy and feathery, with a texture of foam floating around you. I think this one is the most universally appealing of all Soliani's scents I tried. The only thing it takes is for one to like vanilla, not even to be crazy about it, just like it enough not to want to scrub off any perfume containing it Lemon cream, vanilla ice cream, waffle cone all come to mind when smelling it, but the end result is not at all as sweet as this may sound. Hilde is usually very skimpy with her notes lists and she mostly gives only a note or two so citrus isn't even listed here. But it is there 100% and more, lemon in particular and it is the most beautiful part of the composition. The notes listed are vanilla and sugar, but believe me, this is not only vanilla and sugar. Obviously it is a gourmand, but one that is perfectly light so it might please the non-gourmand lovers as well. What I especially like about it is it's feathery texture, the gentle-ness, the mild powderyness that leaves a beautiful trail. When I first spray it on, I get a splash of refreshing lemon cream that works like a charm even on hottest of days, it's more citrusy than vanillic off top and then the vanilla takes over, but the lemon never goes entirely away. There are more notes in here than just lemon and vanilla, because something is obviously creating all the nuances that I am smelling, but unfortunately I am not that good of a nose to say what it is. I get something woody too, in the background, but luckily nothing even remotely remniscent of the modern woody synthetics. This particular ''wood'' smells like the ''woodiness'' in some other vanillas, like Le Labo's Vanille or even Eau Duelle. Vani Choc smells nothing like these two, just this one tiny woody note does. It's evokative of driftwood, not so much smell-wise, rather mental image wise. The whole composition smells natural (it is not, but it smells ), and that is something that I found to be true across the line, no nasty, ''obvious'' synthetics, no chemical ''noise''. Very important thing for me, because while testing some other fragrances recently, I discovered I was way more sensitive to powerful synthetics than I though.
    Vani Choc falls into the same category with scents like Sublime Vanille, Unknown pleasures, Cookiecrunch and even Vanille Jolie. In comparison to Unknown pleasures, the citrus is more lively and it's mostly lemon, while the latest (dissapointing) formulation of UP in terms of citrus is more orange (more precisely the orange flavoured powder for mixing with water and making soda, known as Cedevita in my country). UP also has a distinct tea note which is absent in Vanichoc and the drydown of UP goes towards waffle cone while Vani Choc obviously dries down to vanilla. A very very similar scent that I discovered recently is Cookiecrunch by a relatively unknown brand – Coquillete. Cookiecrunch is very similar, but heavier on lemon, it is overall fresher and yet lighter and, like UP, dries down to a waffle cone smell. But the drydown of Cookiecrunch is sadly too soft, it becomes a skinscent after less than an hour. Vani Choc is a lot stronger at all stages and lasts much longer. Overall, it has moderate longevity and projection.
    Last edited by Vernona; 7th August 2017 at 10:29 PM.

Really looking forward to your impressions. Vagabondo is one I would like to have.
    "Was the wood perceived as masculine, or was the hamster perceived as masculine?"
    -Renato

Swap

Wait, there's a fragrance in their lineup named "Orgasmo"?? Lol - it'd better be good!

I've only sampled Sipario albeit briefly. I'll see if I can find my notes on it as it's been a while. Great idea to start this thread, Vernona!

Thank you calzim and Diamondflame!

Yes, the fragrance is actually called Orgasmo, and the photo of her on a sticker...
    All that aside, it's a beautiful scent. Nothing even remotely sexual about it though. Just a very comforting soft marzipan scent. A food-gasm maybe?

I too sampled Sipario a few years a go, and I would really love to have it now. But she stopped making it, raw materials unavailable as I was told.
    It was a pina-colada-like scent, with mote pineapple than coconut, smelled quite unique and I would love it for summer...

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts. I had a sample of Hot Milk and currently have samples of Sweet Home and Stelle di Ghiaccio.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Quote Originally Posted by Furriner View Post
    I'm interested in hearing your thoughts. I had a sample of Hot Milk and currently have samples of Sweet Home and Stelle di Ghiaccio.
    Hi Furriner, I am actually waiting for a sample of Hot Milk. I am really curious to see how the chilli/milk combo will end up smelling. I suppose it can easily go either way. I tried Sweet Milk and I loved the top notes, the sweet toffee smell, but unfortunately it was very short-lived on my skin.
    Never tried Stelle di Ghiaccio. Love the name though. It would translate into Stars made of Ice or something like that...
    Last edited by Vernona; 8th August 2017 at 03:33 PM.

Crema di latte.

A seemingly simple creature that smells purely of condensed milk and sugar, but this is the best version of milk and sugar I have ever smelled. The condensed milk and melting sugar with caramel-y flavour. Sometimes I think I can even smell coconut shavings on top and I love that. And my husband said he smelled coconut when I asked him, but then he is very bad at analyzing notes At times it is so realistic that I can almost taste the milk fat. And it is not at all nauseatingly sweet as it sounds. She achieved that this tricky combo doesn't smell plasticky, dollhead-y, synthetic, of spoilt milk etc. Just perfectly comforting and warm. This one might be for all of you craving milk/caramel fragrances, but haven't had luck finding any that were done to your taste. The virtual category this one would fit in also includes Salt Caramel, Douceur Brulee, Madera...but it smells nothing like any of them. Most of all, it contains zero of that burnt sugar note that often comes in pair with caramel. It is infinitely more natural smelling, fluffier, less sweet, easier to wear, "better" than any of the aforementioned. Hilde seems to love the milk note and she used it in various combinations and very succesfully at that. Milk as a note can go all sorts of wrong, but I promise she does it right! Another scent from the same category is Creme Brulee from Ava Luxe and it is an excellent one, but again this has a bit of that burnt sugar note and smells more like toffee in the top notes. As it dries down it becomes quite similar to Crema. Absolutely love them both!
    Longevity of Crema is excellent and projection is just right, not too strong but I can smell it on myself all the time and I get wafts of it every time I move around. In my mind, this is a scent for self, if you are a gourmand or sweet fragrances lover, pure indulgence. It is probably not something I'd wear in a strictly professional and conservative setting, rather it is something I heavily spray all over myself when I have some "me time" and relax my mind, when I seek for comfort, but also when I need to face stressful situations. Because it smells like home and it somehow manages to reassure me that all will be allright. What more could I ask for?

That said, I don't think most people, who are not hardcore gourmand lovers, need a 100 ml of Crema di Latte, but I am pretty sure many would enjoy an occasional spritz. I wish she would introduce smaller bottles and I feel the same way about all brands that offer big bottles only. 100 mls is quite a commitment and regardless of cost effectiveness, it is much easier to wrap one's head around say 30 mls than a 100. Oh well...maybe some day.
    Last edited by Vernona; 8th August 2017 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Wait, there's a fragrance in their lineup named "Orgasmo"?? Lol - it'd better be good!

I've only sampled Sipario albeit briefly. I'll see if I can find my notes on it as it's been a while. Great idea to start this thread, Vernona!
    That bottle and sticker make me think about many things but an orgasmo. Actually it's the antithesis of an orgasmo. I once saw her mistreating people on Facebook cause they were laughing on this presentation. She told people there knew nothing about perfumes and art. It was hysterical and funny. She got nuts.
    Currently wearing: M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    That bottle and sticker make me think about many things but an orgasmo. Actually it's the antithesis of an orgasmo. I once saw her mistreating people on Facebook cause they were laughing on this presentation. She told people there knew nothing about perfumes and art. It was hysterical and funny. She got nuts.
    Seriously?!? Omg that is just so funny!!
    I guess it's in human nature, not everyone takes criticism well.

I too initially thought the stickers and bottles could've been done in a say more "serious" manner and I wondered what's with repeating the letters in fragrance names, but then that's her style. Her brand, her choices. The bottles eventually grew on me and now I think they're actually cute, simple and no fuss. As long as I love the way it smells, it may as well be packed in a plastic bag
    Last edited by Vernona; 9th August 2017 at 06:41 AM.

Blog Entries

Thanks for starting this interesting thread, V! l enjoyed your assessment of the house's aesthetic, summed up beautifully in the line "fun without smelling funny"!

l have only tried Vecchi Rossetti, & that was several years ago, when l was sent it as a free sample. lt didn't appeal to me at the time, but looking back at my review, it's possible l might appreciate it more now my tastes have evolved a bit. l described it as smelling like an abandoned theatre dressing room, complete with stale make up, spent cigarettes & old wooden furniture. lt was interesting, but not long-lasting, & l'm pretty certain it wouldn't be your thing!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Thank you, dear teardrop!
    I figured it would be useful to start a thread, because there is so little info about these fragrances. I remember when I first wanted to explore the brand, I searched everywhere for just about any info about the perfumes and basically anything, even the shortest impression or review was helpful to me to get an idea what to expect, what to sample, because samples are also not that easy to find.

Yes indeed, fun but not funny! The whole packaging, sticker, repeated letters and such that we allready mentioned kind of leaves a bit of an "un-serious" impression and I was pleasantly surprised that the perfumes were no joke at all!

I haven't tried Vecchi Rosetti, because I was mostly looking at notes and going for samples that sounded closest to my taste. I found that her scents for me tend to be either a total hit or a total miss. She has a wonderful way with gourmands, no doubt about that, and despite the seeming simplicity and the listing of one or two notes, they smell far more interesting and nuanced than that. The fargrances she made that are not gourmands were all excentric in some way, so the smell of abandoned theatre dressing room you describe sounds very Hilde to me.
    Last edited by Vernona; 9th August 2017 at 04:31 PM.

So, the "controversial" Orgasmo

Nothing controversial about it, nothing sexual, I wouldn't even consider it "sexy", whatever that might mean in perfume descriptions. This is a soft, calming, comforting almond scent.

Yes, the name and the sticker with Hilde's photo on the bottle , we've covered that allready, but the fragrance is so good that I couldn't care less about the presentation. This is another one for gourmand lovers and lovers of marzipan scents. First off, I get a brief blast of that glue-like, Karbofix smell that is typical for almond scents, but it is not really intense, and it is gone in seconds. Then comes the mild boozyness - the Amaretto, spot on realistic. The almonds are bitter at first but soon settle into sweet, creamy almond paste with a touch of that boozyness. It si so smooth and round and satisfying. I have nothing to compare it to, because none of the almond scents I know are like it. I think it's because of the combination of almonds and alcohol, I can't remember smelling a boozy almond before. There is a light almond note and rum in Maria Candida Gentile's Noir Tropical, but that one is mostly about vanilla and neither almonds nor rum really get to shine. Orgasmo is a base notes kind of scent that stays pretty much unchanged till the end, linear, but for a scent like this I wouldn't want it any other way. In my mind, some aromas are better linear, any shifting for the sake of complexity just looses the point. I don't really care much about complexity anyway, all I care is whether it smells good to me or not. It is soft and stays close to skin, but lasts very well. I think this is another thing that Hilde does very well - attributing the right "strength" to the right scent. If Orgasmo (or Crema di latte for that matter) were or projected any stronger, they would border on suffocating.

One thing to note is that this is more of a cold weather scent, not because it is too heavy to be worn in the heat, because it's not, but heat seems to supress it, it feels as though it shrinks in high humidity and heat, whereas it blooms beautifully in colder weather. There are 2 flankers to Orgasmo; Mint and Jasmine. Haven't tried those, but would love to try jasmine!
    Last edited by Vernona; 9th August 2017 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernona View Post
    Seriously?!? Omg that is just so funny!!
    I guess it's in human nature, not everyone takes criticism well.

I too initially thought the stickers and bottles could've been done in a say more "serious" manner and I wondered what's with repeating the letters in fragrance names, but then that's her style. Her brand, her choices. The bottles eventually grew on me and now I think they're actually cute, simple and no fuss. As long as I love the way it smells, it may as well be packed in a plastic bag
    Hear hear. Many times I found excellent perfumes in mediocre bottles.
    I'm curious about her brand. I will read your reviews later.
    Thx for posting them.
    Last edited by Beck; 9th August 2017 at 04:44 PM.
    Currently wearing: M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Basenotes Member Amelia Koenigsberg's Avatar

Hi Vernona,

thanks for starting this thread, I am very interested to hear what people think about her scents- about ten years ago her Ti Amo line and the theatre ones got me into niche perfumes!I really liked Vecchi Rossetti then and Il Tuo Tulipano, and I still think whoever likes coffee and tobacco together in a scent ought to try Bel'Antonio!I have not tried her recent ones, I guess I am a bit put off by people releasing 8-10 fragrances in one go...
    Which one of the theatre ones have you got,I see it in the photo?

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia Koenigsberg View Post
    Hi Vernona,

thanks for starting this thread, I am very interested to hear what people think about her scents- about ten years ago her Ti Amo line and the theatre ones got me into niche perfumes!I really liked Vecchi Rossetti then and Il Tuo Tulipano, and I still think whoever likes coffee and tobacco together in a scent ought to try Bel'Antonio!I have not tried her recent ones, I guess I am a bit put off by people releasing 8-10 fragrances in one go...
    Which one of the theatre ones have you got,I see it in the photo?
    Hello Amelia
    Form Teatro Olfattivo di Parma I have tried only Sipario. And I am so sad that it's discontinued. If it weren't, I would definitely buy it.
    I have heard great things about Bell'Antonio, I think it was made in memory of her late father and it sounds amazing. As I understand, it is more of a traditionally masculine faragrance, so I didn't go for a sample immediately, but I would love to try it, even if only for experience.

Hilde's scents that are not gourmands, to my nose all have a certain "weirdness" to them. Even the gourmand ones are not your typical gourmands. There's something unique in how she treats the notes. It's like she goes for the raw reality, the bare truth no matter if it's pretty or ugly as long as it's true to life. It is hard to explain unless one smells it. The way I see it, she creates a portrait of an idea, whether a situation, a place, an atmosphere, a meal or a single note and doesn't care if the end result will smell pretty or "appropriate" enough to please the masses. I think that sets them apart from the "average".
    Last edited by Vernona; 9th August 2017 at 04:45 PM.

Bell'Antonio has been on my sample/blind buy list for a while now. I'm eager to heard some more opinions about it first.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Buon Pranzo

Smells like salted butter. Period. Like you have taken out a cube of butter on the table and sprinkled it with salt and pepper. Well, this certainly questions the definition of perfume. I would love to meet a person that loves and actually wears it, and hear the impressions. I really wonder how a person that loves this would interpret it.

It's original, I give it that. Never smelled anything like it. While I smell it, all I can think of is how she could've tweaked it just a bit to make it more wearable, but goes to show she does not care much of making things "pretty" all the time. I don't like it, wouldn't wear it, it's really weird and repulsive in a *this is food and it is not meant for scenting purposes* kind of way!

Omg.*

The lightbulb moment! Is this how gourmand-haters feel most of the time??? Everytime I go *oh wow, what an amazing realistic Nutella smell* a gourmand-hater goes *yes, but Nutella is not exactly meant to be sprayed on*

One thing I've noticed while exploring the brand is that she is particularly fond of 3 notes; milk, butter and salt. Rather unusual choices in perfumery. And what is even more unusual, they actually end up smelling *good* (well, most of the time they do).
    Last edited by Vernona; 10th August 2017 at 10:24 AM.

That said, I don't think most people, who are not hardcore gourmand lovers, need a 100 ml of Crema di Latte, but I am pretty sure many would enjoy an occasional spritz. I wish she would introduce smaller bottles and I feel the same way about all brands that offer big bottles only. 100 mls is quite a commitment and regardless of cost effectiveness, it is much easier to wrap one's head around say 30 mls than a 100. Oh well...maybe some day.
    Hi Ms V, a much needed thread I think, there seems to be a dearth of info about this house; nice to see that rectified somewhat.

You've just summed up my issue with HS, the bloody bottle sizes. I recently sampled CdL and adored it's sweet, comforting milky simplicity but as you said, there is no way on earth I need a 100ml bottle of the stuff, as chronic undersprayers even 30ml would be pushing it quite frankly! Jeux de Peau is it's more savoury, complex older cousin - different scents but both fulfil that buttery cosiness that I often crave during downtime.

I think I got Orgasmo as well, bit overwhelmed by samples at the moment so haven't got around to it yet but as an almond lover it sounds right up my street. Have you tried Gloria by Cacharel? Another hideous bottle but it's an absolutely delightful Ameretto/cherry/almond affair, wonder how it compares? I shall report be back with my findings

Hi Anastasia

I totally agree that those big bottles are an issue, for many brands, but for Hilde in particular, because her perfumes are so "specific", as in not something most people would wear every day. The price per ml is not bad really, considering todays niche pricing, but a 30 mls would be even better.

Never tried Gloria, but it sounds lovely! Have you tried Creme Brulee from Ava Luxe? Similar to Crema di Latte especially in the drydown. Could be a nice compormise, the sizes are perfect

Please report if you find any samples! Would love to hear your thoughts.
    Last edited by Vernona; 10th August 2017 at 06:03 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Anyone like/own/smelled Hot Milk? It's her one fragrance that I can't stop thinking about...
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Sillage Monster

I ordered a sample of Cristina because I loved the notes: patchouli, laudanum, and vanilla. Unfortunately, upon wearing, the scent was too subtle and was difficult for me to detect.

Mike, have you tried Hot Milk? I am waiting for a sample to arrive so will be posting my impressions some time next week. I am really curious about it, I love the way she handles the milk note but my experience with chili pepper so far has been sort of a hit or miss. Based on the few reviews on Fragrantica, I've no idea what to expect. We shall see

Trilby, I never tried Cristina, because of the patchouly, I figured it probably wouldn't be for me. But I did have a few of her fragrances dissappear on me in matter of minutes. The sad part is that some of those I really really liked. For those 5 minutes anyway. Cristina belongs to her Gli Invisibili line, from which I tried only Io, and it also had this aetheral, "unpalpable" presence. It was light and sort of there but not there. More like an aura or a whisper than a " perfume-y" perfume. I think it was intentional too, the "invisibility", as the line was dedicated to the spirits... This line is also cheaper than the others so it might have to do with concentration.

Sillage Monster

Trilby, I never tried Cristina, because of the patchouly, I figured it probably wouldn't be for me. But I did have a few of her fragrances dissappear on me in matter of minutes. The sad part is that some of those I really really liked. For those 5 minutes anyway. Cristina belongs to her Gli Invisibili line, from which I tried only Io, and it also had this aetheral, "unpalpable" presence. It was light and sort of there but not there. More like an aura or a whisper than a " perfume-y" perfume. I think it was intentional too, the "invisibility", as the line was dedicated to the spirits... This line is also cheaper than the others so it might have to do with concentration.
    Thank you, Vernona. I didn't know the background on the line. There's something very appealing about Hilde Soliari. I appreciate her creative vision.

Una Tira l'Altra

Translated more or less to "one thing leads to another".

This is the perfect cherry fragrance. The one cherry to rule them all. No kidding, it's the best, most perfect, juicy, succulent, deep wine-red, ready-to-bite, realistic cherry. Every hunt for the perfect cherry solinote scent ends right here. There is not a single doubt in my mind that every person that loves cherry and looks for a "portrait of cherry" kind of perfume will fall head over heels in love with this.

Except for one thing It lasts 5 minutes on my skin!! I hope, oh how I hope it's just my frikkin' dry and perfume consuming skin!! I had a friend of mine test it too and sadly the results were the same, but her skin is same, if not worse than mine so not all hope is lost! Nothing in perfumery can piss me off more than finding the perfect scent only to discover it's gone in seconds!

I was recently on a hunt for the perfect cherry fragrance and this one was by FAR the best, nothing even remotely came close to it. However, I had to settle for Wild Cherry instead, because I just couldn't get past the abysmal longevity (why, Hilde, why???). I truly hope it's just me and someone else will have more luck, because it's just such a shame. It's perfect, so alive, like holding a cherry, smelling it, looking at it, biting into it, drinking the cherry juice all at once. A 3D cherry experience! The perfect balance of sweet and sour without a single trace of anything plasticky, without smelling like candy or a chewing gum, but a proper fragrance.

If only I were lucky enough to have the magic skin that would just glue this to me. Some of these days, I will try to get a hold of a bigger sample and try all over again. I'm not a quitter, but I won't hold my hopes too high.
    Last edited by Vernona; 11th August 2017 at 11:10 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Una Tira l'Altra sounds fantastic Vernona. I love the smell of a juicy cherry. I've never really owned a cherry prominent scent. I almost bought Bendelirious by ELDO when I was at Henri Bendel in NYC, but it would have been an impulse buy since I had only a few minutes to make my decision. I would love to smell that ELDO again but it's very hard to find.

I have not tried Hot Milk. Again, a milk prominent scent intrigues me...but would I wear it? I don't know. Jo Malone did a milk scent that I thought was great, of course it was a Limited Edition and is impossible to find now. I liked that. And I like chili notes. I remember thoroughly enjoying my small bottle of Piment Brulant by L'Artisan Parfumeur which was a green/chocolate/chili scent and also that Arquiste scent Anima Dulcis with spices and chili/chocolate.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

Wasn't sure if you saw this review that posted yesterday on the blog Now Smell This: http://www.nstperfume.com/2017/08/10...rance-reviews/

-- Eckhart Tolle

I am wearing the dregs of a second hand sample of Bell'Antonio, which if I recall correctly, I went to great lengths to procure and then promptly left to languish in my sample box untested for another 2.5 years....I'm really one of those "hurry up and wait" kind of people.

Anyway, Bell'Antonio is quite good, albeit not quite what I expected. Instead of a rich, dark coffee and tobacco, I get something a lot drier and lighter, like little flakes of cigarette tobacco that have fallen out of a cigarette mixed with dusty chocolate powder. Underneath, there is a faint tug of burned woods and tar, but it is not as intense as I had expected. I once lived in a neighborhood with three coffee-roasting shops which would pump out this really intense aroma of burned coffee that sometimes reminded me of scorched chocolate and sometimes of that terrible smell when coffee boils over and hits the hot plate - Bell'Antonio thankfully doesn't approach that level of intensity. The tobacco and coffee are lightly singed, but remain quite aromatic and golden in tone. In the opening notes, there is a strange, animalic note like coffee grounds and cigarette ash floating in water, but once the scent settles, the tobacco is just nicely dry. In overall tone, I'd place it at around the same intensity of the gentle tobacco leaf note in Caron's Aimez-Moi, although, of course, there is nothing floral about Bell'Antonio. The dusty chocolate nuance at the start reminds me somewhat of Borneo 1834.

It's quite heavy on the coumarin in the drydown, with notes of dry hay, almond pits, and cinnamon thickening up the scent, and although it is never sweet, it is not as dry or as austere as I had assumed it would be. There are elements of Fieno by Santa Maria Novella in here, and I also feel comfortable in saying that anyone who likes the dry, slightly pungent hay in the rustic Cuir Pleine Fleur will also like this. In general, a very dry, true to life picture of tobacco, minus any amber or vanilla that might drown out its drier, more delicate nuances.

And because I don't think you'd really like Bell'Antonio, Vernona, here's a review of the only other one of Hilde's I have ever tried, a gourmand called CiocoSpecissIMO (I've probably spelled that wrong):

Apparently, Hilde Soliani created this perfume to capture the scent memory of her grandmother’s homemade liqueur with notes of spices, basil, pepper, white and dark chocolate, tomato leaf and woody notes. It’s an interesting take on the chocolate theme, to be sure, because it introduces a fresh, herbal transparency to the mix, which serves to lighten the heft of the cocoa notes. The dark chocolate note starts out crisp and defined, like a square of thin, ultra-dark chocolate that breaks off from the rest of the bar with a pleasing snap. It is also spicy and peppery. Quickly, though, the green, herbal elements push through, which give the dark chocolate a minty feel. It’s kind of musky, dirty, and woody in feel: the chocolate element here is definitely not of the edible variety. I like its freshness, as well as its lack of literalism.

Overall, though, I don’t find this fragrance to be particularly satisfying. One reason for this is that I find the mash-up between watery, green garden elements and the dark chocolate to be a dissonant pairing at heart – and it also ends up somewhere in the territory of mint ice-cream, which I am sure is not really what the perfumer intended (surely?). Also, the projection and longevity leave a lot to be desired. It is an ambitious scent, but it falls off a ledge somewhere after the first couple of hours and quietly dwindles into a musky skin presence that makes you yearn for the bold and unusual beginning to be replayed from the start.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast