Code of Conduct

Default Jacques Fath Pour L'Homme: A Solid Fall/Winter Option

Hello everybody, I recently posted my impressions of this one in the "Today I tried for the first time..." thread, but I wanted to bring a little more attention to it as I feel it's a solid choice for anyone looking for a Fall or Winter woody-oriental without wanting to spend too much money. And for anybody looking to build up his collection with a cheap but worthwhile selection, I think this one fits the bill. This first caught my attention when it was listed as a 'new arrival' on Fragrancenet. I then checked its reviews on Fragrantica and was surprised to find it scored an exceptionally high rating (4.42) and more importantly with a significant number of votes as well (205). For anyone who's unfamiliar with the site, good fragrances generally begin to appear at scores of 4, and 100 votes seems to be about the minimum level needed for the scores to be somewhat reliable. Anyway...considering the context of its score it was a no brainer to purchase Jacques Fath Pour L'Homme at $23, for a new, 100ml bottle. After receiving it and testing it out, I have to say I'm very satisfied with it. Here are my first impressions I posted in the aforementioned thread yesterday:

It's a warm, spicy-sweet blend of Amber, tonka, and woods. It has a raspberry note which works really nicely, providing some sweetness, almost like a fruity candy. There's a bit of a winter holiday feeling to this one, similar to scents like Burberry London and Eau des Baux, and it would probably work well around that time of year. The base is warm Amber and woods with flashes of nutty tonka. For $23 this stuff is a bargain, and it ought to be added to those lists of great cheapies which always include scents like Encre Noire, Individuel, London, Carven Homme, and Bentley Intense. If I have one gripe it's that the performance could be a bit stronger. But I'm still catching some nice wafts off of it and actually find myself surprised by its intensity sometimes, but then it will kind of recede for a little while. Some of you might like this, it's worth checking out!

As far as its style and quality, it sort of reminds me of London (but sweeter, less dry) or perhaps Eau des Baux, while it doesn't exactly smell like them it leaves a similar impression, or fits a similar mood. And actually, for the first half of its duration it reminded me a lot of Guerlain L'Homme Ideal, in the sense that the Guerlain features a cherry-almond accord over a tonka-centric base, while this one has a raspberry note over a base of tonka and amber. They smell quite similar to me. L'Homme Ideal is also a good benchmark to understand the sweetness of this one. They're both around the same intensity of sweetness. I'm tempted to say Jacques Fath is sweeter, but due to the fact its projection is not as intense they feel about equal in the end. Pour L'Homme takes a turn in the second half and becomes woodier, as the amber increases in intensity. It smells less like L'Homme Ideal in this stage and becomes very much a woody oriental--sweet, warm, and a little spicy over a dry woods accord that resembles sandalwood and maybe some gaiac or cashmeran wood.

Overall the fragrance is smoothly composed and the notes are well-integrated in the composition. There are no harshly synthetic elements or clumsy facets. Its projection is moderate but the smell diffuses well. I caught wafts of it the whole time it was on my skin. Longevity is slightly above average. There are two potential drawbacks to this fragrance: 1) If you are completely averse to anything sweet you may not like this. The raspberry accord, along with the tonka and amber base, lend sweetness to the scent. It is certainly more sweet than bitter. 2) While I actually find this fairly distinct, in some ways its smell may be familiar. As mentioned there are similarities to L'Homme Ideal and also Obsession and Polo's Safari.

To conclude, this a very good low-cost option for the fall and winter. It's warm, sweet and cozy, smoothly composed, and has a pleasant moderate projection which makes it suitable for intimate situations or scenarios which may require some discretion. If you like scents such as Heritage, Safari, Eau des Baux, London, Obsession, Opium, Bentley Intense or Lanvin's Avant Garde you will probably like this as well.

I'm also curious to hear the opinion of anyone who has had experience wearing or owning Pour L'Homme. Please share your thoughts.

Last edited by Buysblind; 10th August 2017 at 08:21 PM.

Default Re: Jacques Fath Pour L'Homme: A Solid Fall/Winter Option

Definitely going to check this out, since L'homme Ideal is right up my alley. (I've only purchased/tried the Parfum and the Cologne, but thus far I really enjoy both).

Thanks for the write-up, BB!!
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory88 View Post
    Definitely going to check this out, since L'homme Ideal is right up my alley. (I've only purchased/tried the Parfum and the Cologne, but thus far I really enjoy both).

Thanks for the write-up, BB!!
    You're welcome. I was just thinking it's a really good choice if you're just looking for something new for this season to replace a woody-oriental or holiday-style scent that you liked in the past but have grown tired of. Say for example you've enjoyed Eau des Baux for several years now but are sort of bored by it at this point--you enjoy the genre however so you want something similar but different. JFPLH is a good choice then. The fact that it's not much of an investment makes it easy in that regard. It's also good for beginner's looking to build their wardrobe with some scents that are well suited for the fall and winter.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post

I'm also curious to hear the opinion of anyone who has had experience wearing or owning Pour L'Homme. Please share your thoughts.
    Have owned this for many years and simply love it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

A great fragrance, and one that I reach for often in the cooler months.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Ténéré by Paco Rabanne

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Have owned this for many years and simply love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post

Thanks for sharing!

Just to own it and give it away, for some reasom give headache this is the only fragance that I have experience that, I would like to find Yang the original what a beauty was that fragance.

Convincing, will definitely have to check it out. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    Thanks to YOU, sir, I was introduced to this in original form. I'm happy to say that, also because of you, I own a bottle of the original. You are correct. It is a great cool weather fragrance. I really enjoy the great amber presentation in original form.

I'm sorry that I do not have any experience with whatever the latest release of this smells like. But the original formula is great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Thanks to YOU, sir, I was introduced to this in original form. I'm happy to say that, also because of you, I own a bottle of the original. You are correct. It is a great cool weather fragrance. I really enjoy the great amber presentation in original form.

I'm sorry that I do not have any experience with whatever the latest release of this smells like. But the original formula is great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You're very welcome! It was my pleasure to pay it forward, because I was lucky enough to have a friend put this on my fragrance map
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

Great writeup, Buysblind. I "like" this one, but don't love it. However, at the pricepoint (about $25 for 4.2oz) you can't go wrong. I have a few gripes, but they're not major. First one is that projection/sillage are average to below average. Not a big deal, just overspray if you need to. For the price, it's an affordable option. Secondly, again not a big deal, but it smells really generic to me. I've smelled this type of fragrance a lot of times before (as you mentioned, similar to Lanvin Avant Garde, Burberry London, L'homme Ideal) and it's been done better in all of those fragrances, at least to my nose. As you and others have said, you MUST like sweet fragrances to enjoy Fath Pour L'Homme. I like sweet fragrances occasionally, but certainly don't love them. I have a feeling this one will wear much better in cooler weather this fall and winter. I guess all in all I feel slightly let down due to the great reviews this fragrance gets on Fragrantica and YouTube, but I can't feel too badly considering the price I paid for it. Will keep this one in the rotation at least until Fall and Winter and then decide if it goes in the sale/swap thread.

Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    Great writeup, Buysblind. I "like" this one, but don't love it. However, at the pricepoint (about $25 for 4.2oz) you can't go wrong. I have a few gripes, but they're not major. First one is that projection/sillage are average to below average. Not a big deal, just overspray if you need to. For the price, it's an affordable option. Secondly, again not a big deal, but it smells really generic to me. I've smelled this type of fragrance a lot of times before (as you mentioned, similar to Lanvin Avant Garde, Burberry London, L'homme Ideal) and it's been done better in all of those fragrances, at least to my nose. As you and others have said, you MUST like sweet fragrances to enjoy Fath Pour L'Homme. I like sweet fragrances occasionally, but certainly don't love them. I have a feeling this one will wear much better in cooler weather this fall and winter. I guess all in all I feel slightly let down due to the great reviews this fragrance gets on Fragrantica and YouTube, but I can't feel too badly considering the price I paid for it. Will keep this one in the rotation at least until Fall and Winter and then decide if it goes in the sale/swap thread.
    Thanks, I think you make some fair points. I agree with your comment regarding its projection/sillage although it does diffuse well on my skin and I can vd probably requires an extra couple of sprays.
    I can also see how you could regard this as "generic," as it definitely embodies the entire 'woody-oriental' genre. The woody Amber/tonka base has been done a million times over and the fragrance itself has a familiar impression right off the bat. So I can see why it's just a 'like' for you. What takes it a little beyond that for me is that I think it's really well put together. I get a smoothness from it and it feels like all the notes are really integrated well into the composition. The base, while familiar, is well done. I enjoy the raspberry note too. I don't want to give off the wrong idea that this is the greatest fragrance ever or anything, but I think it's solid, and could easily be added into a rotation to replace another woody oriental when you're ready for a change.
    Last edited by Buysblind; 11th August 2017 at 11:43 AM.

I own the vintage version of this fragrance and I found that it performs better than the current and has more depth. Here's what I'd written in a thread from September 2015.

Hello all,
    I own both versions (new and vintage) and doing a side-by-side sniff test, the vintage is only slightly richer than the newest formulation. I'd say there is less "powder" and more amber. I easily get 10-12 hours from the vintage with 4 mindfully-placed sprays. Is the vintage worth seeking out? Well, for the purist, "yes." Is it absolutely necessary (I.e. Vintage Bel Ami vs new), absolutely not.
    Rating: vintage 8+/10, new 7+/10 only because of slight lack of depth in the newest rendition.

PS-The vintage looks like it has "screws" in the corners of the label as seen in the link below:

https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...omme-6567.html

The thread is located here:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/239...ew-versus-old)

Mother Teresa

Bumping this up one last time for anybody who may have missed it and may be curious about Pour L'Homme.

Don't blind buy it, beware. Very synthetic and sweet.