Code of Conduct

Default Amouage Interlude: Do You Get A "Tuscan Leather Cocaine Note" In This?

I just blind bought a bottle of Interlude. I sprayed it on a paper towel and I'm immediately smelling an accord very similar to the notorious Tuscan Leather cocaine note. I've never heard anyone mention anything like this before, so I'm wondering, have any of you noticed this? Who knows if it will show up on skin as well (I'm just running an initial paper test now), but either way, it was surprising. At first it came out like a deep oregano note, which I was expecting, but it morphed pretty quickly into something pretty similar to what I pick up in TL.

Is this common?
    Currently wearing: Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi

Nothing is written!

Default Re: Amouage Interlude: Do You Get A "Tuscan Leather Cocaine Note" In This?

The only drug note I get in this one, is the green stuff that shady guys in hoodies try to push on the streets of Prague... Oregano

Cannot say I get cocaine from Tuscan Leather either...

But then again, cocaine should not really have a smell, at least if it is pure and has not degraded. It can degrade into methyl benzoate, an ingredient used in perfumery, and the chemical that drugs sniffing dogs are trained to detect, so perhaps that is what people call the cocaine note?

That is actually one of the reasons why I have not bought methyl benzoate for my perfumer's organ, because what if the parcel is stopped in customs because of an aroma chemical
    Last edited by Norstrøm; 10th August 2017 at 09:38 PM.
    “To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art.”
    Grand Admiral Thrawn

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Amouage Interlude: Do You Get A "Tuscan Leather Cocaine Note" In This?

I've never smelled cocaine, so I can only guess what it smells like... but... Interlude is definitely a perplexing scent. To me, it smells like two scents in the same bottle - something light and something dark, and the darkness dominates. I picture a dark cave with a lit candle inside. The scent seems dark and brooding, but there's something almost pretty in the heart of it. Interlude is one of my favorites, but it's such a commitment to wear due to its nuclear performance, and the fact that it clings to clothing like nothing else I've ever worn, so I don't reach for it often... but I do love the stuff.
    Current Favorites (not in any particular order)
    Rose 31
    Endymion
    Fahrenheit
    Castile
    APOM
    Curve
    Lumiere Noire
    Aqua Celestia
    Royal Water
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Dior Homme
    1725 Casanova
    Aqua Universalis
    Reflection Man
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori HM EDT
    Bergamote Soleil

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I've never smelled cocaine, so I can only guess what it smells like... but... Interlude is definitely a perplexing scent. To me, it smells like two scents in the same bottle - something light and something dark, and the darkness dominates. I picture a dark cave with a lit candle inside. The scent seems dark and brooding, but there's something almost pretty in the heart of it. Interlude is one of my favorites, but it's such a commitment to wear due to its nuclear performance, and the fact that it clings to clothing like nothing else I've ever worn, so I don't reach for it often... but I do love the stuff.
    FWIW, I think it smells great right now. I put one spray on the back of my neck and I'm really enjoying it. I imagine I'll be in for some surprises with it. I also can't see myself going too much heavier than 2 sprays.
    Currently wearing: Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi

Blog Entries

2 sprays is my absolute MAX with Interlude. It's a 24 hour wear even with just one spray. It's nuclear!

I absolutely adore the drydown, as well as the way it smells on clothes which it clings to for daaaaays.
    Rose 31
    Endymion
    Fahrenheit
    Castile
    APOM
    Curve
    Lumiere Noire
    Aqua Celestia
    Royal Water
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Dior Homme
    1725 Casanova
    Aqua Universalis
    Reflection Man
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori HM EDT
    Bergamote Soleil

I can't say I get anything illicit out of Interlude, but I will mention that it is complex to the point where you will get pretty drastically different experiences with it on different days.

And yes, the oregano is pretty central to the composition - it sorta fuses with the patchouli in the base into one green herbal accord (later in the drydown the oregano wears off and you can smell the patch by itself). Without these green accords it would be an impenetrable (and probably unwearable) sticky mass of resins.

I do detect similiar note. The one I always seek because I quit smoking a couple years ago. It's the "ashes of high quality cigarette" note. The more realistic is the TL one (depending on batches - more rasperry, less ash), in the Interlude it's more distorted because the spices are messing with it.
    Currently wearing: Tolu by Ormonde Jayne

During some wears of the stuff, I've noticed there's a point where the green sharpness of the oregano combined with the oud smoke, suggests burning marijuana. It's not quite exact, but it's there.
    Currently wearing: Figment Man by Amouage

I get an ash, but not hash note.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

2 sprays is my absolute MAX with Interlude.
    I recall that when I tried this using 3 sprays it was very overpowering.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

I get OREGANO

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    I get an ash, but not hash note.
    lol

keep trying!

I think this is the one I tried and thought it smelled like beef jerky on oakmoss?
    Currently wearing: Woodcut by Olympic Orchids

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OneBlueSummer View Post
    I think this is the one I tried and thought it smelled like beef jerky on oakmoss?
    That sounds more like Journey Man to me. Amouage releases are so hit or miss for me. I adore Interlude and Reflection, but I can't wear Journey Man at all, and I'm really torn regarding Beloved Man. Part of me loves it, but another part of me thinks it smells... kind of... weird.
    Rose 31
    Endymion
    Fahrenheit
    Castile
    APOM
    Curve
    Lumiere Noire
    Aqua Celestia
    Royal Water
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Dior Homme
    1725 Casanova
    Aqua Universalis
    Reflection Man
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori HM EDT
    Bergamote Soleil

I guess I'm going to have to get my nose on some of that cocaine stuff at some point.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Creed - Royal Oud
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Ormonde Jayne - Black Gold
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I guess I'm going to have to get my nose on some of that cocaine stuff at some point.

That sounds more like Journey Man to me. Amouage releases are so hit or miss for me. I adore Interlude and Reflection, but I can't wear Journey Man at all, and I'm really torn regarding Beloved Man. Part of me loves it, but another part of me thinks it smells... kind of... weird.
    I think your right
    Currently wearing: Woodcut by Olympic Orchids

No, to me Interlude is everything but addictive!
    Currently wearing: Coriolan by Guerlain

They both also share a raspberry accord. Interlude's isn't listed, but it's there later on, almost every wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hothamwater View Post
    They both also share a raspberry accord. Interlude's isn't listed, but it's there later on, almost every wearing.
    That's a good point. The Interlude "raspberry" note is a bit like the "kiwifruit" note of Interlude Woman i.e. not in the official note pyramid, but it's definitely there, and everyone talks about it ...

I usually get the raspberry (like you say not in every wearing, but almost) from about 2-3 hours into the development, after the composition turns drier.

Quote Originally Posted by NZFH View Post
    That's a good point. The Interlude "raspberry" note is a bit like the "kiwifruit" note of Interlude Woman i.e. not in the official note pyramid, but it's definitely there, and everyone talks about it ...

I usually get the raspberry (like you say not in every wearing, but almost) from about 2-3 hours into the development, after the composition turns drier.
    Yep, same here. It's usually a couple/few hours into it, just before it turns mostly wood-y. I just love the smoky resinous smell that lingers in your nose for several minutes when you get a nice, strong inhale of it.

Haven't tried the women's version yet, but I plan on it.
    Last edited by Hothamwater; 12th August 2017 at 04:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hothamwater View Post
    Yep, same here. It's usually a couple/few hours into it, just before it turns mostly wood-y. I just love the smoky resinous smell that lingers in your nose for several minutes when you get a nice, strong inhale of it.

Haven't tried the women's version yet, but I plan on it.
    Yeh I know what you mean, Interlude is my drug

Interlude Woman is definitely worth a try. It's chaotic and complex but very different. I like the final accord it develops into.