Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 39
  1. #1

    Default Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    Not sure if this worked, and I didn't do it on purpose. I was trying to spray Joop! Homme Wild to the chest but it slipped out of my hand a bit and I got sprayed in the face (my left eye got quite a bit). I washed out my eyes and then sprayed once to the chest, as intended. The other times I've worn this one my thought has been, "it's got a touch of the 'chemical' to it that I wish wasn't there," but this time I didn't get that. It could be simply a perception change that would have occurred without the spray to the face, but I'm wondering if this happened to anyone else. If I try this on purpose at some point, I will be sure to keep my eyes closed! LOL.

  2. #2
    Smellcheck
    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Carolinas
    Posts
    777

    Default Re: Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    Ouch! Bet that smarted in the eye.

    Recent talk of face-spraying causing changed perceptions -- some of it serious, some silly:

    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/440...t=#post4162575
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm going to be wearing this all summer and my friends will ask, "Where's
    the classy lady who just shampooed her horse?"

    --MsMaryO on Air de Cabochard

  3. #3
    Dependent Diddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Posts
    2,842

    Default Re: Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    Sorry you got it in your eye. Interesting observation. I've not had this happen.

    Please don't try this on purpose.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    11,106

    Default Re: Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    Funny story. Unfortunately it's happened to me before. The problem is the nozzle has a habit of turning with every use. And it's pretty difficult to see sometimes.

  5. #5
    Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Posts
    12,719
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    The odds of you getting all of the chemicals off of your face when you washed up is very low. Almost impossible, really. There have been times when testing where I sprayed the back of my hand and no amount of scrubbing could get everything off, and I just had to wait it out for hours with the leftover funk (base notes, really) on my hand. And I scrubbed harder than I'd ever be willing to scrub my face, especially around my eyes!

    I say this because you almost certainly had a bit of the chemicals still on your face even after washing, so you probably unintentionally made yourself anosmic to that part of the smell.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    The other times I've worn this one my thought has been, "it's got a touch of the 'chemical' to it that I wish wasn't there," but this time I didn't get that.
    Exactly. That's olfactory fatigue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    It could be simply a perception change that would have occurred without the spray to the face
    Nope. It's olfactory fatigue. Olfactory fatigue doesn't mean you have no sense of smell at all. It makes sense that you'd still be able to smell the parts of the scent that you did manage to wash off and had become anosmic to the parts you couldn't wash off (generally speaking, the base).

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    but I'm wondering if this happened to anyone else. If I try this on purpose at some point, I will be sure to keep my eyes closed! LOL.
    I had something sort of similar happen once. I had an accident with a sample of Ungaro II. I couldn't get the frigging stopper off the vial. When I finally managed to get it free, I ended up flinging the vial at myself, dumping the whole thing on my shirt, and flinging some of it at my face, my pants... oh, god. I think I even managed to get some of it in my hair! It was bad.

    I actually enjoy Ungaro II even though it's not my style... but after that, I couldn't go near anything animalic for a while.
    Current Favorites (not in any particular order)
    Rose 31
    Endymion
    Castile
    APOM
    Curve
    Nio
    Lumiere Noire
    Aqua Celestia
    Royal Water
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Dior Homme
    Aqua Universalis
    1725 Casanova
    Reflection Man
    Interlude Man
    Grey Vetiver
    Hanae Mori HM EDT
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

  6. #6
    Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Posts
    12,719
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Funny story. Unfortunately it's happened to me before. The problem is the nozzle has a habit of turning with every use. And it's pretty difficult to see sometimes.
    Oh my god, that drives me CRAZY!!! I have a few bottles that do that, but one in particular drives me nuts because it seems like it sprays diagonally to one side instead of forward... and every time I wear it, I say to myself "You really should try to clean out that sprayer!" ...but I don't. Sigh...
    Current Favorites (not in any particular order)
    Rose 31
    Endymion
    Castile
    APOM
    Curve
    Nio
    Lumiere Noire
    Aqua Celestia
    Royal Water
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Dior Homme
    Aqua Universalis
    1725 Casanova
    Reflection Man
    Interlude Man
    Grey Vetiver
    Hanae Mori HM EDT
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

  7. #7
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    224,103

    Default Re: Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    Over the years, once or twice I recall when I wasn't aiming the nozzle correctly.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  8. #8

  9. #9
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    21,479
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    I am voting this Most Interesting Thread Title of 2017. This should be a cargo cult within the naturals movement.

    And totally agreed with LHBI - olfactory fatigue!
    https://cologniac.com - raging for the machines

  10. #10

    Default Re: Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    I am voting this Most Interesting Thread Title of 2017. This should be a cargo cult within the naturals movement.

    And totally agreed with LHBI - olfactory fatigue!
    So I finally win something? LOL. I don't think it's usual olfactory fatigue, as someone suggested, though, because I can smell the scent quite well, but it's not coming across as having any chemical/synthetic element this time.

  11. #11
    Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Posts
    12,719
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I don't think it's usual olfactory fatigue, as someone suggested, though, because I can smell the scent quite well, but it's not coming across as having any chemical/synthetic element this time.
    ...because the harsh chemicals are the part of the scent you didn't manage to scrub off your face. That's olfactory fatigue.

    Obviously the whole scent wouldn't give you olfactory fatigue at that point since you scrubbed most of it off. It's the stuff that you didn't manage to scrub off that you're experiencing olfactory fatigue from. SIDE NOTE: Most people don't experience olfactory fatigue from top notes. Want to guess why? Because they're gone. Top notes don't last.

    Don't take my word for it. Find a scent that is a chemical disaster. Spray the back of your hand. Next, wash it off. Put it up to your nose after washing and take a big sniff. You'll smell the funk you couldn't scrub off, which is usually the chemical madness. Iso E Super tends to stick around. Norlimbanol REALLY sticks around, even after a good hard scrub. If that's what you didn't manage to scrub off your face, then of course you're experiencing olfactory fatigue from it.

    Olfactory Fatigue is a lot like the whole flat Earth thing, where people look out their front door and see no curvature of the ground, so they think the Earth is flat. I'm not kidding, there are still people who believe that. And there are fragrance fans who don't believe in olfactory fatigue, but that doesn't mean it's not real. Go to a movie theater. After a while, you won't notice the smell of the popcorn, but you'll still notice other smells. That's how olfactory fatigue works. It doesn't shut your nose off. It's your brain ignoring something in order to subconsciously pay attention to other things. In this case, your brain is ignoring the chemicals you sprayed directly on your face and didn't manage to 100% wash off. You probably easily got the top notes off, but some of the harsh chemicals that tend to be base notes can really stick around. Your nose (your brain, really) is ignoring them.

    That's olfactory fatigue.
    Current Favorites (not in any particular order)
    Rose 31
    Endymion
    Castile
    APOM
    Curve
    Nio
    Lumiere Noire
    Aqua Celestia
    Royal Water
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Dior Homme
    Aqua Universalis
    1725 Casanova
    Reflection Man
    Interlude Man
    Grey Vetiver
    Hanae Mori HM EDT
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

  12. #12
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    21,479
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    Good science here! Also remember these things:

    High-molecular-weight (heavy) molecules that make up bases, and which tend to be persistent, and which now tend to be these (semi)synthetic woody and/or ambery monsters, are the same ones that are most likely to lose perception by olfactory fatigue.
    https://cologniac.com - raging for the machines

  13. #13

    Default Re: Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    I am voting this Most Interesting Thread Title of 2017. This should be a cargo cult within the naturals movement.

    And totally agreed with LHBI - olfactory fatigue!
    +1 for all of this
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

  14. #14

    Default Re: Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    If it works out finely and especially the eye area can be avoided next time, this might just be yet another good testing method
    Currently wearing: Halston 1-12 by Halston

  15. #15
    Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Posts
    12,719
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    If it works out finely and especially the eye area can be avoided next time, this might just be yet another good testing method
    Yikes. I really hope you're kidding. I assume you are, but... one never knows.

    It seems like we get a thread like this every other year.

    In 2013, it was the guy who wanted to know if he'd get better projection by spraying his junk. His junk? Double yikes. Mine's definitely not junk, btw.

    In 2015, we had the guy who thought spraying his forehead was the way to get compliments. Triple yikes. Aventus, straight to the forehead (That was 2015, wasn't it? And of course it was Aventus. Of course it was).

    And now, in 2017, it's spraying the face to prevent olfactory fatigue from the harsh chemicals in cheap chemical nonsense scents. Quadrupleyikes. Luckily, this time, I assume he's kidding (I sure hope so).

    I wonder what I missed from basenotes in 2011? Was somebody posting about spraying his butt thinking he'd give the civet a boost?

    That Toppie was ironic. I wonder how many people understand why.
    Current Favorites (not in any particular order)
    Rose 31
    Endymion
    Castile
    APOM
    Curve
    Nio
    Lumiere Noire
    Aqua Celestia
    Royal Water
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Dior Homme
    Aqua Universalis
    1725 Casanova
    Reflection Man
    Interlude Man
    Grey Vetiver
    Hanae Mori HM EDT
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

  16. #16
    Dependent Roky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Heilbronx
    Posts
    1,145

    Default Re: Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    Can't comment on this and had no experience of this so far.
    But I once fell asleep with a glass of water on my nightstand. There was also a uncorked Mitsouko Extrait besides the water.
    Guess what happened when I got thirsty later on ... THIS was the most impressingly shockingly awful taste I ever had ... !
    It's been a milliliter or two ... Lysterine, water, brushing teeth ... no way! Mitsouko lingered on my tongue for hours and hours.
    I don't wear it often since this happened.
    Sorry for heading off-topic ... but might be of a certain interest.

  17. #17
    Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Posts
    12,719
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roky View Post
    Sorry for heading off-topic ... but might be of a certain interest.
    AHAHAHAAA!!!!! Not off topic at all. That was awesome!
    Current Favorites (not in any particular order)
    Rose 31
    Endymion
    Castile
    APOM
    Curve
    Nio
    Lumiere Noire
    Aqua Celestia
    Royal Water
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Dior Homme
    Aqua Universalis
    1725 Casanova
    Reflection Man
    Interlude Man
    Grey Vetiver
    Hanae Mori HM EDT
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

  18. #18
    Dependent Possum-Pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Downwind from Gettysburg
    Posts
    5,806
    Blog Entries
    19

    Default Re: Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    I HATE trying to find the tiny hole in the atomizer in the dark. Sometimes grab a bottle to apply while me wife is sleeping, don't want to turn on the light. Feel around for the hole, aim and squirt. Off goes some Montale spritzing my left arm and the carpet. Need to invent a glow in the dark dot over the atomizer hole...
    [SIZE=]See my Sale thread for partial bottles/samples Zoology, Penhaligon, Montale, marc de la morandiere, many others! [/SIZE]
    Currently wearing: Bandit by Robert Piguet

  19. #19
    Dependent Diddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Posts
    2,842

    Default Re: Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roky View Post
    Can't comment on this and had no experience of this so far.
    But I once fell asleep with a glass of water on my nightstand. There was also a uncorked Mitsouko Extrait besides the water.
    Guess what happened when I got thirsty later on ... THIS was the most impressingly shockingly awful taste I ever had ... !
    It's been a milliliter or two ... Lysterine, water, brushing teeth ... no way! Mitsouko lingered on my tongue for hours and hours.
    I don't wear it often since this happened.
    Sorry for heading off-topic ... but might be of a certain interest.
    That story is epic! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #20

    Default Re: Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    Admittedly, most of it was (at least personally speaking) a joking/humorous approach, however the only serious part in it was indeed related to (or influenced by, even in part subconsciously) about the already famed, established and quite talked about, at least by BN standards, fragrance application method that involves "spraying Aventus to/on the forehead"
    Currently wearing: Halston 1-12 by Halston

  21. #21
    Basenotes Institution sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    33,804

    Default Re: Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    Always sample first before spraying in eyes.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    Natural selection ftw.
    I still don't know who Alice is...

  23. #23

    Default Re: Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Good science here! Also remember these things:

    High-molecular-weight (heavy) molecules that make up bases, and which tend to be persistent, and which now tend to be these (semi)synthetic woody and/or ambery monsters, are the same ones that are most likely to lose perception by olfactory fatigue.
    Yes that seems to be a good possibility. I think the next "experiment" would be to mist the air in front of the face then walk through it (eyes closed, obviously), to see if this effect can be reproduced with scents I dislike due to things like obvious iso e super usage.

  24. #24
    Dependent Diddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Posts
    2,842

    Default Re: Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Yes that seems to be a good possibility. I think the next "experiment" would be to mist the air in front of the face then walk through it (eyes closed, obviously), to see if this effect can be reproduced with scents I dislike due to things like obvious iso e super usage.
    Maybe spray some on a tissue and stick it in your nostrils? If we're talking olfactory fatigue potential, what's the point of macing an entire face? Although there's a great chance of no harm occurring, I can't help but believe it's not the best approach to spray chemicals onto or in a manner that gets on a face. If your bound and determined for the experience as prescribed, I'd respectfully suggest wearing goggles until the fragrance has settled on your face. Closed eyes can still potentially get covered and cause issues.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #25

  26. #26

    Default Re: Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Maybe spray some on a tissue and stick it in your nostrils? If we're talking olfactory fatigue potential, what's the point of macing an entire face? Although there's a great chance of no harm occurring, I can't help but believe it's not the best approach to spray chemicals onto or in a manner that gets on a face. If your bound and determined for the experience as prescribed, I'd respectfully suggest wearing goggles until the fragrance has settled on your face. Closed eyes can still potentially get covered and cause issues.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The idea would be to have just enough of the large aroma chemical molecules near your nose, which is probably what happened when I washed out my eyes (I didn't scrub my face, since I was curious to see what would happen). If you spray onto a card you'd have to keep it right under your nose at all times and then it also might be too strong (I do this at times if I think a scent smells better this way). Let's face it, something is either going to work for a person or it's not, so it makes sense to try different things.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmellyFinger View Post
    Was it "vintage" Joop! Homme Wild??? I heard the newer version has been "watered down".
    Sarcasm duly notes, though it seems a bit out of place on this thread. My advice would be to wait for a more appropriate thread before getting those negative emotions out of your system. LOL.

  28. #28
    Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Posts
    12,719
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    The idea would be to have just enough of the large aroma chemical molecules near your nose, which is probably what happened when I washed out my eyes (I didn't scrub my face, since I was curious to see what would happen). If you spray onto a card you'd have to keep it right under your nose at all times and then it also might be too strong (I do this at times if I think a scent smells better this way). Let's face it, something is either going to work for a person or it's not, so it makes sense to try different things.
    You're trying to give yourself olfactory fatigue in order to not smell the harsh chemicals in scents with harsh chemicals? Here's a better idea: don't wear fragrances that smell like harsh chemicals in the first place. That's what I do. It works.
    Current Favorites (not in any particular order)
    Rose 31
    Endymion
    Castile
    APOM
    Curve
    Nio
    Lumiere Noire
    Aqua Celestia
    Royal Water
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Dior Homme
    Aqua Universalis
    1725 Casanova
    Reflection Man
    Interlude Man
    Grey Vetiver
    Hanae Mori HM EDT
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

  29. #29
    Dependent Possum-Pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Downwind from Gettysburg
    Posts
    5,806
    Blog Entries
    19

    Default Re: Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    You're trying to give yourself olfactory fatigue in order to not smell the harsh chemicals in scents with harsh chemicals? Here's a better idea: don't wear fragrances that smell like harsh chemicals in the first place. That's what I do. It works.
    I don't get what "harsh chemicals" smell like. I suspect that harsh chemicals mean some note/notes that you don't like. Technically, they are ALL harsh chemicals, especially natural Essential oils. They are more complex chemical concoctions than man-made aromachemicals. Look over people's review of fragrances...if they don't like it they tend to call it 'harsh chemicals'.
    [SIZE=]See my Sale thread for partial bottles/samples Zoology, Penhaligon, Montale, marc de la morandiere, many others! [/SIZE]
    Currently wearing: Bandit by Robert Piguet

  30. #30

    Default Re: Spray yourself in the face to remove "chemical" perceptions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    I don't get what "harsh chemicals" smell like. I suspect that harsh chemicals mean some note/notes that you don't like. Technically, they are ALL harsh chemicals, especially natural Essential oils. They are more complex chemical concoctions than man-made aromachemicals. Look over people's review of fragrances...if they don't like it they tend to call it 'harsh chemicals'.
    I disagree with this, as everyone has their own perceptions/thresholds when it comes to "chemical sensitivity." What I would say instead is that it is related to the amount used. For example, iso e super seems to really bother me, but there must be a minimal amount that would not.

Similar Threads

  1. What do you consider the worst "chemical nightmare" fragrance?
    By Bigsly in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 125
    Last Post: 19th July 2017, 01:29 AM
  2. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10th March 2017, 11:03 PM
  3. Hmmm...A Fragrance "Primer" Spray? "Canvas and Concrete"
    By Meow7 in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 16th February 2014, 02:32 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 3rd June 2010, 05:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000