Code of Conduct

Default Seeking input on new frag purchases, from Jub XXV fans

Hey all,

Big Jubilation XXV fan here. Also like TF Plum Japonais a lot (similar, imho). The only problem I have with Jub XXV is, kind of too sweet and dense for everyday/casual wear. I really want to find something "like" XXV but more casual and lighter, not as sweet. But same basic idea, oriental spicy woody with some fruit.

I've tried the other Amouages and they aren't doing it for me. I'm looking for some ideas that are non-Amouage.

Huge fan of Creed Royal Oud, that's kind of the level of casual, light spicy-woodsy I'm seeking, but with the Jub XXV notes as opposed to the green notes in RO. Maybe such an animal doesn't exist haha Very open to new ideas and suggestions.

Tnx!

Default Re: Seeking input on new frag purchases, from Jub XXV fans

You might want to check out Sequoia by Comme des Garçons, it smells vaguely similar to Jubilation, but is a little less complex and heavy, also a little more linear. It was even created by the same nose behind Jubilation, Bertrand Duchaufour. It was originally released in 2001, so one might even say that Jubilation smells like Sequoia, rather than the other way around. This was discontinued for a while but has recently been re-released as part of Comme des Garçons "Olfactory Library". I believe Surrender To Chance is selling decants/samples if you want to try before you buy.

I just recently got Il Profumo Othello, and it's another incense+elemi("passionfruit") fragrance, but the sweetness is really restrained. It's sort of barbershoppy in the dry down, actually. Could be a good one to try.
    "Was the wood perceived as masculine, or was the hamster perceived as masculine?"
    -Renato

Swap

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by SmellYouLater View Post
    You might want to check out Sequoia by Comme des Garçons, it smells vaguely similar to Jubilation, but is a little less complex and heavy, also a little more linear.
    This is a very good suggestion.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Nothing is written!

Sequoia is indeed a good one, and great news if it really has been reissued!

Perhaps try out some L'Artisans? They are affordable and well crafted.

Al Oudh
    Mon Numero 10
    Timbuktu
    “To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art.”
    Grand Admiral Thrawn

Currently wearing: Reflection Man by Amouage

Tom Daxon's Resin Sacra, it's a delicate version of Jubilation XXV with less sweetness. I think you can sample through Luckyscent.
    Currently wearing: Acqua Viva by Profumum

I'm not sure but a time ago, I found the similarity of JubXXV with "Chambre Noire Olfactive Studios"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Looking for Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens (split, decant, bottle)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comme de Garçons 2 Man is a wonderful scent that checks a number of your boxes. It can be dressed up or down, has a beautiful woody base and incense plays a key complementary role. It's by no means a Jubilation XXV clone, but I find that they wear similarly.

Another possibility is to sample the women's Jubilation. I'd consider it more "unisex" than "feminine" and feel it's just as good, if not better, than its male counterpart.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

For less dense versions of JXXV you can't go wrong with Comme des Garcons Incense series such as Ourzazate, Jaisalmer, Avignon, Kyoto and also Palisander, +2 Sequoia. Also am really impressed by the Unum: Lavs, Io Non Ho Mani, Opus 1144. For less dense, but similar to TF Plum Japonais recommend some of the Les Liquides Imaginaires scents like Dom Rosa, Bloody Wood and Il Pourpre even Tellus although it doesn't have the fruity parts. Nanban by Arquiste and Oud Shamash by TDC are nice dry incenses although still kind of heavy like JXXV. Much lighter is Penhaligon's Halfeti.
    favorites: santo incienso • azemour les oranger • eau de neroli dore • cedro di taormina • byredo rodeo • le sillage blanc • piccadilly '69 • byredo la botte • monsieur houbigant musk • bibliothetique • sammarco bond-t • Issara •

Pretty linear but heavy : Costume National Homme
    +1 CdG Sequoia
    My current top 10 fragrances :
    1. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    2. A Lab on Fire Almost Transparent Blue
    3. YSL L'Homme Libre
    4. Tauer Perfumes L'Air du Desert Marocain
    5. Rania J. Ambre Loup
    6. Atelier Cologne Cedrat Enivrant
    7. Parfum MDCI Ambre Topkapi
    8. Imaginary Authors Memoirs of a Trespasser
    9. Heeley Sel Marin
    10. by Kilian Back to Black

tnx guys, I have ordered a sample of Sequoia, From Surrender to Chance. $5/ml LOL eh, what can you do ...

Rasasi (Rumz al Rasasi) Leo pour Lui: sweet, fruity, peppery, plum-y oud
    Baldessarini Ultimate: fruity, patchouli, woody
    "I love fragrances because they provide a sheer endless variety: there is a scent for every occasion, mood or feeling. Standing before my collection in the morning matching a perfume to my needs is one of the most enjoyable things in my day..."
    My Top 10 Summer :: Armani Emporio Lui :: Chanel PM Concentreé :: Shiseido Basala :: Tom Ford Grey Vetiver :: YSL Rive Gauche :: Creed Aventus :: Bleu de Chanel :: Dior Eau Sauvage Extreme :: V.C.& Arpels Zanzibar :: Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boiseé ::
    Currently wearing: Opus VI by Amouage

I would go with Plum Japonais.

00 Auriel by Odin. Not lighter, but better than Jubilation 25 by a mile.

**or rather, similar profile but accentuated in a way that meets your needs.
    Last edited by rucksack; 14th August 2017 at 03:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    I would go with Plum Japonais.
    I have and love TFPJ. My problem with it is the same problem I have with XXV. I don't have enough formal, romantic, or special occasions where they fit. They're both heavy and dense and one doesn't spray on XXV or TFPJ to go to Starbucks or just hang out. Hence my post, which was to get suggestions for "lighter", more casual frags that are in the same general scent camp as XXV. I really love the mix of notes in XXV (and TFPJ) but 95 % of my life is very casual.

That's what I love about Creed Royal Oud -- there is no situation too casual for RO, it always fits the situation. Formal, informal, day, night, work, play, it works.

Waiting on my Sequoia sample order to see if it fits the bill.

(The weird thing about XXV and TFPJ is, they are listed as having very different notes but to me they seem soooo similar, almost redundant, although I'm happy to own both)
    Last edited by tostig; 14th August 2017 at 02:17 AM.

On the less expensive side I can recommend Versace "Oud Noir"
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I second Timbuktu, incense-vetiver. Same perfumer, if I remember correctly.

With a lot of cash, also Armani Bois d'encens, that's the lightest smelling, lemony incense.

cacio

I recommend Creed Spice & Wood, but it's pretty expensive.

If you like XXV, but find it too dense and syrupy, and would like a drier lighter version, try Rasasi Rumz Leo (9453)
    It's the Blackberry & Cedar/wood portions of XXV at full strength, and the immortelle and sweet notes dialed back.