Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default Dress Shoes Questions (and Asking for Suggestions)

I'm looking to get myself a new pair of dress shoes. I'm looking for something that is of good quality and durability, but not very pricey. I'm looking at a few brands like Alden, Allen Edmonds, Church's and Crockett & Jones. Anyone has any experience with these? Also, what other shoes / makes / brands should I look at?

Many thanks.
    a bottle a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Default Re: Dress Shoes Questions (and Asking for Suggestions)

Alden is of very good quality, but not exactly cheap. I don't wear them myself, but my cousin in Italy loves the horse-hide ones and has asked me to buy a few for him. He has had one pair for more than 20 years. As said, though, Alden horse-hide cost around $650- not cheap. The ones made with regular leather are cheaper, but my cousin hasn't tried them, so I don't know if they last as well.

I have worn and like Church's - though I don't own any dress one. For other brands, I've seen Bruno Magli at Nordstrom rack for $300-$400, not cheap but a good price for a luxury brand.

cacio

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I like the shoes from JCrew. They partner with one or more of the companies you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I like the shoes from JCrew. They partner with one or more of the companies you mentioned.
    Thank you, I shall look J Crew.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Alden is of very good quality, but not exactly cheap. I don't wear them myself, but my cousin in Italy loves the horse-hide ones and has asked me to buy a few for him. He has had one pair for more than 20 years. As said, though, Alden horse-hide cost around $650- not cheap. The ones made with regular leather are cheaper, but my cousin hasn't tried them, so I don't know if they last as well.

I have worn and like Church's - though I don't own any dress one. For other brands, I've seen Bruno Magli at Nordstrom rack for $300-$400, not cheap but a good price for a luxury brand.

cacio
    cacio, thank you for your feedback. I'm looking for something of good quality and durability, and that led me to these companies. I'd consider any of these because of after sales service and repair. Is Bruno Magli a designer company or a shoe manufacturer? Basically I'm looking for something that's quality, has a three digit price tag, doesn't disintegrate after six months or a year (with proper care), and has some service (paid service is okay) after sales if required. Therefore I'm reluctant to buy designer shoes.

I'd probably enquire about the repair of Crockett & Jones and Church in the US, and then go from there.

Will also check out Bruno Magli shoes, thank you.
    Last edited by freewheelingvagabond; 16th August 2017 at 05:56 PM.

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Bruno Magli is an Italian shoe company (like Ferragamo). I don't know if they have service, but I doubt (and certainly not if you buy at Nordstrom rack). That's very uncommon in Italy. In Italy, we have very good and inexpensive shoe repair stores, so nobody would send the shoes to the manufacturer for repair, you simply go to a local shoe repair.

cacio

Depending on your size, you may be able to take advantage of the 30% off sale at Ralph Lauren:

http://www.ralphlauren.com/family/in..._cs_dressshoes

That puts some of the sale items at around $130-$140 after discount. I just bought two pair, the cap-toes and the monk strap loafers. Supposedly made by Allen Edmonds.

Allen Edmonds - support US manufacturing and jobs

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff View Post
    support US manufacturing and jobs
    Thanks, but that's not the main motivation or objective when buying a pair of shoes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mattybumpkin View Post
    Depending on your size, you may be able to take advantage of the 30% off sale at Ralph Lauren:

http://www.ralphlauren.com/family/in..._cs_dressshoes

That puts some of the sale items at around $130-$140 after discount. I just bought two pair, the cap-toes and the monk strap loafers. Supposedly made by Allen Edmonds.
    Thanks, shall browse some of these.

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Allen Edmonds makes some nice quality stuff and is worth trying on. Bruno Magli also produce some excellent shoes, but I have found they can be hit or miss depending on the style with comfort and fit, so definitely try them before you buy. I'll also add Bally's of Switzerland to the list. I've been extremely happy with the quality and comfort they have to offer.

Freeship125 code is stackable too on top of the 30% off, and if you use Ebates it is another 3% off......

Crockett & Jones - Both quality and design are great. Alden is renowned for their shell cordovan but their designs are boxy. You can also try Paul Stuart, Alfred Sargent and JM Weston.

Strike a note with you on that one, buddy?
    Don't panic, most of their products are made overseas. They have a high-end product line manufactured in the US.

Allen Edmonds just added an extra 20% off clearance.......

Dependent

Johnston Murphy are pretty good quality too.

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    +1

Most of my shoes are J & M. I find them to be very comfortable, they wear well and they have a number of styles to choose from. They typically have store fronts at Clothing Outlets which will also be gentler on the wallet.

I have 1 pair of Allen Edmonds and they're great shoes, but I do have to say, my J & Ms are more comfortable.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Lyric Man by Amouage

My first port of call would be www.herringshoes.co.uk. They carry a range of different shoemakers, and sell a lot under their own name (made by Loake, Barker, Carlos Santos, Alfred Sargent and others). Prices are good and they ship to the US; their service is also widely acclaimed. They also have the tail end of a major sale at the moment, so you may (depending on size) be able to pick up a bargain! To answer a question you haven't asked, I would suggest something in burgundy / oxblood for versatility - it goes with just about any colour clothing; semi brogues will work with anything from jeans to suits, and will be suitable for all but the most formal occasions.

I swear by Marsell. Their shoes are made from the most beautiful, soft Italian leather. Their brogues always have a Chaplinesque quality, which I love but possibly not to everyone's taste. I've had several pairs for eight years and only had to resole them once.

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff View Post
    Strike a note with you on that one, buddy?
    Don't panic, most of their products are made overseas. They have a high-end product line manufactured in the US.
    Relax, I'm not concerned about 'supporting' any specific geographical area, US or otherwise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    +1

Most of my shoes are J & M. I find them to be very comfortable, they wear well and they have a number of styles to choose from. They typically have store fronts at Clothing Outlets which will also be gentler on the wallet.

I have 1 pair of Allen Edmonds and they're great shoes, but I do have to say, my J & Ms are more comfortable.
    Thanks for your feedback, however, I had a pair from this company and it didn't last at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HFMIII View Post
    Allen Edmonds makes some nice quality stuff and is worth trying on. Bruno Magli also produce some excellent shoes, but I have found they can be hit or miss depending on the style with comfort and fit, so definitely try them before you buy. I'll also add Bally's of Switzerland to the list. I've been extremely happy with the quality and comfort they have to offer.
    Thank you. I'd add these to test lists, particularly the latter two.

Freeship125 code is stackable too on top of the 30% off, and if you use Ebates it is another 3% off......
    Allen Edmonds just added an extra 20% off clearance.......
    Thanks, I checked the coupons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradition View Post
    Crockett & Jones - Both quality and design are great. Alden is renowned for their shell cordovan but their designs are boxy. You can also try Paul Stuart, Alfred Sargent and JM Weston.
    Thanks for these suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Drzava View Post
    My first port of call would be www.herringshoes.co.uk. They carry a range of different shoemakers, and sell a lot under their own name (made by Loake, Barker, Carlos Santos, Alfred Sargent and others). Prices are good and they ship to the US; their service is also widely acclaimed. They also have the tail end of a major sale at the moment, so you may (depending on size) be able to pick up a bargain! To answer a question you haven't asked, I would suggest something in burgundy / oxblood for versatility - it goes with just about any colour clothing; semi brogues will work with anything from jeans to suits, and will be suitable for all but the most formal occasions.
    Thanks for the suggestion, and the very helpful tip on the colour coordination, really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Suspended View Post
    I swear by Marsell. Their shoes are made from the most beautiful, soft Italian leather. Their brogues always have a Chaplinesque quality, which I love but possibly not to everyone's taste. I've had several pairs for eight years and only had to resole them once.
    Thanks. These do seem to have a rustic look and appeal.

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

I'm not sure I have any important information but maybe this can help:
    https://ashleyweston.com/mens-wardro...rd-dress-shoe/

I sometimes prefer short-sleeved boots over dress shoes cause they fit me better and sometimes look even more elegant with a suit.
    Currently wearing: M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Basenotes Plus

Clark's premium line Unstructured has great quality, style and fit all at a fair price ($100-165).

Having well over 25 to 30 pair of shoes/boots I find myself looking for quality when it comes to my dress shoes and boots. I wear mostly Allen Edmonds, Alden, Crockett and Jones, Edward Green, and Brooks Brothers Peal & Co ( which is either made by Crockett & Jones Alden or Alfred Sargent). Most of my shell cordovan leather shoes is either Alden or Edward Green.

To me companies like Johnson and Murphy are not worth the cost as they are no longer what they use to be and the quality of their shoes show it

If you are comfortable with paying the price for Church's and Crockett's I would go a step further and get some shoes from Edward Green. They are expensive but outclass the competition.

I have 2 pairs of Crockett & Jones shoes but never considered them reasonably priced. They are very well made but I wouldn't put them to the hardest of tests. I imagine you wouldn't get them with a leather sole?
    There is this brand called Shoepassion that I like but I don't think you'll find them in the States. With some patience I was able to buy the shoes I wanted 50% off. They replace leather soles very quickly and affordably.
    I love Ecco shoes but I would wear only a small percentage of their dress shoes. Their casual shoes on the other hand are one of the best.
    “You must have a perfume. A perfume is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?” Oscar Wilde

Try Nike or polo shoes.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

For excellent quality Stefano Ricci
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

If youre going to buy one pair of great quality and not that pricey as you say but of those listed that you mention, go with Crockett and Jones. They are a bit pricey now but much better in quality of fit and finish and styling. AE is ok but I dont like their styling and shapes. I havent followed shoe prices as of late, but knowing the prices of CJs, I would just invest a bit more and get a pair of Edward Greens which are a definite step up (unless their prices skyrocketed as well).