Code of Conduct

Default Cerruti 1881 or something close?

What are your thoughts on the latest version of this one? I purchased it a while back and was pretty underwhelmed; however, I thought I might've got a bad bottle. The scent was "shallow" and not long lasting; smelled a bit synthetic as well. Any input on recent purchases/testings of this scent? I'm thinking of revisiting it. I'm looking for 1) a semi subtle, "mature" (though I hesitant to apply agism to fragrances) scent (I teach and do not want to smell like my students), and 2) maybe a greenish scent (current favs: Paco Rabanne PH 3rd iteration, Guerlain Vetiver ribbed bottle, Patrick, vintage Agua Brava [new version = horrible IMO], etc.) If not Cerruti 1881, anything else?
    Smokin Dave is in the house

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Cerruti 1881 or something close?

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Dave View Post
    If not Cerruti 1881, anything else?
    Two inexpensive options: Carlo Corinto Rouge and Chaumet Pour Homme. Both green, aromatic and mature. Cerruti 1881 is a very nice scent, but I only have experience with the original release.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I'm okay with the latest version, not that synthetic as far as I can tell.
    The latest version, via a sample vial, is basically the same with my 2010 bottle. It's totally tolerable, especially compared to the brutal reformulation of Eau Sauvage...

via Tapatalk

Vintage 1-12
    It's subtle, clean, uplifting, masculine, performs well, smells natural, green in a different way than what you're currently wearing, and can be had for $10-20. Look for "HALSTON FRAGRANCES" on the sticker on the bottom of the bottle.
    Last edited by calzim; 20th August 2017 at 04:17 AM.
    "Was the wood perceived as masculine, or was the hamster perceived as masculine?"
    -Renato

Swap

I bought the recent formulation of cerruti 1881 still smells fresh and long lasting the way I remember it from the earlier days. My only concern is not as rich in aroma which is understandable.

I quite like 1881and think of it as a barbershop'ish aromatic rose scent with lots of woods and clean musks. So in that view Azzaro Acteur might do it. Of course it's different and it's vintage. But it's not difficult to find and sample. I especially love the After Shave of it which is more airy, yet lasts for half a day. And it's reasonably priced, given that it's quality stuff.

Maybe also the Edition Blanche flanker of the same fragrance- zestier, brisker, but also with more woody notes, closer to an understated gentlemanly classic

Default Cerruti 1881 or something close?

I used to own Cerruti 1881 and had it as my signature scent for a time. Love it to bits but my skin drinks this one and it doesn't smell so good not me as it has done on many more people. Fortunately there are several comparative ones to it:

Boucheron Pour Homme
    Cartier Pasha de Cartier
    Ralph Lauren Safari
    Polo Ralph Lauren (green) - maybe go lightly on the trigger for this one

This one reminds me of a mix of Bois du Portugal/Boucheron PH/Jazz all mixed into one. Good stuff.
    Currently wearing: Pi Fraiche by Givenchy

I find it very similar to Boucheron Pour Homme, as several people have noted above. I do like Boucheron better, however.

My bottle of Cerruti 1881 is probably 3-4 years old, so fairly recent, and I quite enjoy it although I have no experience with older vintages.
    Also agree with Boucheron PH (I have the EDT), another great one. Can't think of anything else I've smelled that's as close to 1881. If you start veering in the direction of Polo (green) then definitely check out Esencia Loewe.

Bambou by Roger & Gallet is quite an underrated scent (IMO) of the type you seem to be seeking.