Code of Conduct

Default Fresh lemon peel extraction

Byron Bay Australia
    Re-charging a lime peel tincture to extract more scent.
    Peeling keffir limes to replace the exhausted peels.
    First time i am doing that,
    After pruning the kaffir lime tree i will attempt to steam extract the oils in leaves.
    Anyone reading this has done that?
    Steep learning curve here.IMG_1608.JPGIMG_1681.JPG

Default Re: Fresh lemon peel extraction

don't know whether it may be useful.
    Here the 'old' very manual way to extract bergamot oil in calabria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN-P7jqNTJE

Pierpaolo

Quote Originally Posted by pierpaolo72 View Post
    don't know whether it may be useful.
    Here the 'old' very manual way to extract bergamot oil in calabria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN-P7jqNTJE

Pierpaolo
    Just had a look at the video clips showing the way folks in Sicilia extract citrus oils in sponges. They also have special tool to scoop out the bergamot citrus fruit flesh. Thank you for that. I will do it at my next batches of different kinds of limes, lemons, including an australian finger lime.It is winter here so plenty of citrus in the garden. Mille Gracie!

Quote Originally Posted by SeedSavers View Post
    Just had a look at the video clips showing the way folks in Sicilia extract citrus oils in sponges. They also have special tool to scoop out the bergamot citrus fruit flesh. Thank you for that. I will do it at my next batches of different kinds of limes, lemons, including an australian finger lime.It is winter here so plenty of citrus in the garden. Mille Gracie!
    This is the historical way which is no longer done. I have written a long explanation of various extraction methods elsewhere which mentions this tecnique.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    This is the historical way which is no longer done. I have written a long explanation of various extraction methods elsewhere which mentions this tecnique.
    This is the way done now .

BERGAMOTTO-DI-REGGIO-CALABR-640x472.jpg
    I was trying to give a piece of inspiration to SeedSavers who doesn't own (i suppose so) such a machinery.

If he tries to collect manually the peel juice i just remember he should then separate away the water part.
    Now that is done thanks to strong centrifugal separators.

Quote Originally Posted by pierpaolo72 View Post
    This is the way done now .

BERGAMOTTO-DI-REGGIO-CALABR-640x472.jpg
    I was trying to give a piece of inspiration to SeedSavers who doesn't own (i suppose so) such a machinery.

If he tries to collect manually the peel juice i just remember he should then separate away the water part.
    Now that is done thanks to strong centrifugal separators.
    Thank you David in north London I will use a natural sponge to collect oil from the skins. I just picked a dozen kaffir limes from a 10 years old tree and when i got enough i will do the Calabiran method Pierpaolo in Holland pointed to via a video clip.
    BTW i re-used the spent lemon peel from a tincture (that is all i know i am affraid) shred for a duck pate i made. I will use the sponge method with a range of limes, lemon, cumquats, growing in the garden. This winter here in Oz, i will make some more macerations of citrus flowers. this time no more than 40 degrees C for two hours. Last time i used an electric crok pot and i reached 55 degree Celcius and i thought i lost the fresh notes i jhad at the beginning.
    Then i recharge with new freshly picked flowers every day. Six times maybe more.
    Anyone is doing warm macerations? or know about it?
    IMG_1584.JPG
    Photo of one of the kitchen table today. All from gardens.
    Michel

...in Holland ??? Never been to Holland, actually .

Are you looking for essential oils or tinctures? Because you really need to use the steam distiller for essential oils. But if you just want to extract the oils for a tincture, what are you using as the carrier?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MissM2U View Post
    Are you looking for essential oils or tinctures? Because you really need to use the steam distiller for essential oils. But if you just want to extract the oils for a tincture, what are you using as the carrier?

Looking for scents. Testing all sorts. beginning! We use almond and a sugar cane alcohol. Can use water too. or vinegar. All the best with your interest in DIY perfumes from scratch.

Looking for scents. Testing all sorts. beginning! We use almond and a sugar cane alcohol. Can use water too. or vinegar. All the best with your interest in DIY perfumes from scratch.
    No, you can't. Well, you shouldn't.

K. Just trying to get a baseline. I do alcohol tinctures, but for drinking or medicinal use. I'd like to try some steam distillation but have other priorities. Distillation gives you the essential oil and hydrosols too. Looking forward to hearing about your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    No, you can't. Well, you shouldn't.
    Agreed. Vinegar or glycerin only for medicinal tinctures. Not good for scents.

It's admirable that you are trying these experiments presumably as a learning experience but keep in mind: citrus oils such as the ones you have mentioned are some of the cheapest things you can buy. And you can get very good quality for very little money. Maybe it would be better to spend your energies extracting natural products that are more unusual, rare or difficult to find. Doesn't Australia have a lot of strange plants and flowers that grow nowhere else on Earth? That's what I would work on if I was down there.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by bshell View Post
    It's admirable that you are trying these experiments presumably as a learning experience but keep in mind: citrus oils such as the ones you have mentioned are some of the cheapest things you can buy. And you can get very good quality for very little money. Maybe it would be better to spend your energies extracting natural products that are more unusual, rare or difficult to find. Doesn't Australia have a lot of strange plants and flowers that grow nowhere else on Earth? That's what I would work on if I was down there.
    Agree with Barry, here.
    Although, as one of my Aussie perfumer friends mentions, most of the naturals in Oz smell like eucalyptus, so finding something nice to work may take research.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon