Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Women's Dior Circa 1980

Hello all-

Sorry to be so late to the party, but thanks to dear Cook.bot and Bavard for the kind invitation and compliments! And Happy Birthday, Cook.bot! Starting this swap topic is a delightful way to celebrate your day.

Vintage Dior perfumes were my first loves as a vintage perfume collector and they remain among my very top favorites. I’m not precisely sure why I was initially intrigued by them. Perhaps it was those perfectly rendered vintage René Gruau ads? I adore them. Overall, it was probably because vintage Diors are rather assertive chypres and florals, not particularly feminine, and they do not fall neatly into the oriental category. For a while, I had a deep prejudice against vanilla in my perfumes, but I am more open-minded now and enjoy wearing vintage Guerlains and other perfumes with some gourmand elements.

But vintage Miss Dior is my favorite vintage perfume of all, edging out vintage No. 19 and so many other wonderful scents. I wear the vintage EDC, EDT, and parfum (all houndstooth era). The different formulations reveal different facets of the composition--the EDC is more refreshing, the parfum is more heady and musky, but the EDT is the perfectly balanced option, as Bavard, Cook.bot, and Anastasia Beaverhausen have already observed,

Since I love the strong green and mineral note of galbanum, I delight in the opening phase of Miss Dior, which I know can be a bit off-putting to anyone used to feminine vintage Guerlains or Carons. Miss Dior doesn’t really feel particularly green to me, but there is a dark vegetal feeling within, coming from the galbanum and the rather surprising amount of patchouli in it. And then, there is the wonder of the old school nitromusks and, apparently, large amounts of real costus (according to the estimable JFrater of the DIY Forum) and possibly real ambergris. Miss Dior’s drydown is unmatched--just a perfectly balanced experience of musk, woods, and a touch of leatheriness.

And, as if you needed anything else, how about the wonderful story of the real-life inspiration for Miss Dior, Christian Dior’s beloved sister Catherine Dior--a true hero of the French Resistance? For once, perfume hype has a basis in real history. You can read more about Catherine and see some photos of her in this article by Josephine Fairley here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/...fragrance.html

(Yes, it does seem that Dior began to publicize Catherine’s story as a kind of damage control after Galliano’s dreadful anti-Semitic outburst but that doesn’t detract from my pleasure in learning about one of the inspirations for my favorite perfume.)

Well, my dear vintage Basenoters, I'm afraid work calls. I will jump back in with more thoughts on vintage Diors soon, if you can bear more of my rambling thoughts. In the meantime, if you have time to spare, I have posted about vintage Dior perfumes on Fragrance Daily, here:

http://fragrancedaily.com/diorama-19...dior-perfumes/

and here:

http://fragrancedaily.com/suffragett...tage-diorella/

Which vintage Dior will I wear today? An eternally delightful question!
    Currently wearing: Amarige by Givenchy

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Grayspoole - Thank you for posting. Great post.

Diorissimo Extrait - This is one I won't have to shop for, my third favorite of the three I've tried so far. It's a fun, interesting smell, a bold perfume, but not the kind of the thing I would normally want to wear routinely, which Miss Dior definitely is, and Diorama might be.

Diorissimo smells like bold concentrates of flowers and/or fruits that do not shy away from the sour notes, embracing them fully. It's the kind of smell that could definitely leave a memorable impression, like strong, pungent fresh flowers, and it's a smell that I think would grow on me over time. It smells like it would attract bees.

There is a slightly rubbery smell to it, and maybe even the smell of ammonia, but all seeming to come from the strength of the floral concentrates.

Diorissimo is probably my favorite Dior. It's the most vivid muguet. I remember the first time I opened a small bottle and put it on the skin, I felt like I was running in a flower field in the spring. Fresh and vivid, but also rich and with some warmth. It's probably the fact that there is also some civet. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any other muguet that came close to it. Inevitably, muguets nowadays smell functional, or flat.

I don't get ammonia myself, but I can see how the indolic notes could go in that direction (as they do with most contemporary muguets).

cacio

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Diorissimo is probably my favorite Dior. It's the most vivid muguet. I remember the first time I opened a small bottle and put it on the skin, I felt like I was running in a flower field in the spring. Fresh and vivid, but also rich and with some warmth. It's probably the fact that there is also some civet. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any other muguet that came close to it. Inevitably, muguets nowadays smell functional, or flat.

I don't get ammonia myself, but I can see how the indolic notes could go in that direction (as they do with most contemporary muguets).

cacio
    I think it was the sample of Diorissimo you sent that made me seek it out. I went for EDC though.
    With Guerlains I have come to realize that old school greats work best for me in EDC concentration.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

cacio
    Lovely imagery, Cacio. I have, for the moment at least, a more limited range of smells I prefer as scents to wear. Diorissimo, to my nose, is the perfect smell for an open air breakfast patio.

Basenotes Plus

Talking Re: Women's Dior Circa 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Grayspoole - Thank you for posting. Great post.

Diorissimo Extrait - This is one I won't have to shop for, my third favorite of the three I've tried so far. It's a fun, interesting smell, a bold perfume, but not the kind of the thing I would normally want to wear routinely, which Miss Dior definitely is, and Diorama might be.

Diorissimo smells like bold concentrates of flowers and/or fruits that do not shy away from the sour notes, embracing them fully. It's the kind of smell that could definitely leave a memorable impression, like strong, pungent fresh flowers, and it's a smell that I think would grow on me over time. It smells like it would attract bees.

There is a slightly rubbery smell to it, and maybe even the smell of ammonia, but all seeming to come from the strength of the floral concentrates.
    It will be interesting to try this sometime. Muguet forms part of the mix in some scents I like. Having centre stage I don't know.
    Bavard I'm very much interested in your thoughts on Dior Dior.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    It will be interesting to try this sometime. Muguet forms part of the mix in some scents I like. Having centre stage I don't know.
    Camel, are you sure you don't have some Diorissimo extrait? I was just sure I sent you a sample with the other Diors back in June. Take a look around.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Camel, are you sure you don't have some Diorissimo extrait? I was just sure I sent you a sample with the other Diors back in June. Take a look around.
    No sign of it. Our conversation was about Oakmoss and Roudnitska, so rightly you sent me a vertical of Moustache, Diorella, Dior Dior and Ocean Rain.
    I think I asked you about the Cabochard Perfume and you sent the Miss Balmain EDP to compare. It's all about this hunger for Oakmoss for me.
    All of these are Scrumpdilicious, however the Dior Dior really melted my heart. I found great associations with my first bottle of Eau Sauvage 1968.

Basenotes Plus

No sign of it. Our conversation was about Oakmoss and Roudnitska, so rightly you sent me a vertical of Moustache, Diorella, Dior Dior and Ocean Rain.
    Well, drat. I could have sworn I'd sent some. But if we were focussed on oakmoss, it would make sense to omit it.

Now, about the Diorissimo. This is the bottle for the extrait Bavard was reporting on:

Attachment 70917

I won't go on about my Diorissimo opinion, because I actually intensely dislike it, and only own it because I'm a Roudnitska completist. Sure, I recognize the quailty of the construction, and I respect the fabulous backstory of him planting the garden of lily of the valley, and I acknowledge it was a highpoint of modern perfumery since the plant produces no scent materials, etc., etc., etc. But that doesn't change the fact that I can't abide the smell of muguet.

So, then -- on to some geeky stuff about dating vintage bottles.

I'm just guessing at the age of my Diorissimo extrait. And here's my rationale for my estimate that it's around 1980:

Notice the labels on the two bottles in Epapsiou's photo of Miss Dior and Diorissimo. (Here's an easy LINK so you can just open it in a new tab.) On the left, the Miss Dior has "Christian Dior" printed above the name of the fragrance. Diorissimo has the fragrance name printed above the house name.

The caps are different, too. Miss Dior's houndstooth has a greater amount of black in the field. And the printing of the houndstooth graphic looks more crisp.

These houndstooth boxes and labels were used from the late '60 through early '80s. It's my understanding that the bottles with the house name at top of label ran though the late '70s.

Since my Diorissimo bottle has the scent name name first, but still has the pink oval label (L'Oreal changed it to grey), I'm estimating circa 1980.

I have no conclusive proof for any of this, just an assortment of reading others' opinions about Dior dating. Grayspoole may have far superior information or knowledge.

Basenotes Plus

Hello!

It seems we are all exploring Diorissimo, so I wore it yesterday...

When I began to explore perfumes, I wasn't sure that I liked the lily of the valley note. I had to learn to disambiguate all of the white floral notes before I realized that the crisp and green LOTV note suited me very well.

So then I began to try perfumes that are considered to be almost LOTV soliflores. I have a vintage Coty Muguet de Bois EDC that is a very bracing, paper-dry aldehydic green floral. (It is said that Roudnitska loved lily of the valley flowers and thought very highly of their recreation in the Coty perfume. I was happy to try the Coty Muguet in its vintage form, but I don't find it very interesting to wear.). Next, I obtained a decant of what was supposed to be vintage Diorissimo EDT, from a reputable source, that I fear was a sample of just its penultimate reformulation. This was such a weak and almost ygeneric aldehydic scent that I almost gave up on Diorissimo, but I realized that I had to give Diorissimo a fair chance (I’m a Roudnitska fangirl too, Cook.bot!) And so over time, I acquired a couple of vintage parfum minis, a large vintage houndstooth EDT, and a 2014 extrait (family photo of my bottles below). In these versions, I began to understand the appeal of Diorissimo.

Attachment 70933

In vintage Diorissimo, the LOTV opens green and almost juicy with lots of tart bergamot. Additional flower notes appear (I get jasmine and even a little rose) so that vintage Diorissimo is less focused on LOTV than is sometimes suggested. As it dries down, Diorissimo remains floral, with subtle sandalwood in the base. Although many reviewers mention civet in the vintage, I never perceive anything truly animalic in Diorissimo. It's pure, verdant, and clean to me

The houndstooth EDT is old. It has an unusual stopper inside that suggests to me that it may have been sold with an attachable bulb atomizer. It smells lovely, but it does not last very long. I love the vintage parfum in my little minis--I don’t know how to date the little amphora shaped one but I am guessing before 1980. The mini with the pink label, just like Cook.bot’s, is pictured in ads from the 1970’s. Elena Vosnaki has a good blog post on dating Diorissimo bottles that you might enjoy:

http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...i-date-my.html

The biggest surprise of all was the recent tester of “extrait de parfum” which dates to 2014, I believe. I stumbled upon this one, and it’s the only modern version of a classic Dior that I own. I enjoy wearing this very much--it has excellent longevity and feels lively and refreshing--and it allows me to conserve my vintage Diorissimo parfum! I don’t know if this is the same juice that is currently on the market--does anyone have more information on this version?

Enjoy your day and your scent all!

It's rare and exciting to see such thorough posting, although, to be fair, these perfumes merit the attention.

Dior Dior - The Chanel analog for this would be No. 5. It is a stunner, as is No. 5. Guerlain has a couple that are similar: Liu and the discontinued Vega.

It's a smell that has not yet been coopted for men. I'm smelling its beautiful flawlessness and thinking it's a slightly better fit for women. I say slightly, because it could just be a matter of time before aldehydes and jasmine become my go-to.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    The biggest surprise of all was the recent tester of “extrait de parfum” which dates to 2014, I believe. I stumbled upon this one, and it’s the only modern version of a classic Dior that I own. I enjoy wearing this very much--it has excellent longevity and feels lively and refreshing--and it allows me to conserve my vintage Diorissimo parfum!
    Wow. Some actual good news about a recent formulation. Music to the ears of Diorissimo fans, of which I know there are many, even though I may not be amongst them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Dior Dior
    It's a smell that has not yet been coopted for men.
    I'm inclined to agree, though I anticipate a counter-argument from a certain male who has recently become a fanboy.....

Basenotes Plus

Wow. Some actual good news about a recent formulation. Music to the ears of Diorissimo fans, of which I know there are many, even though I may not be amongst them.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm inclined to agree, though I anticipate a counter-argument from a certain male who has recently become a fanboy.....
    Chanel five is a good comparison with it's Adelhydes. I wear No 5 periodically, however it really scents better on my girl.
    Dior Dior the structure hit that spot for me particularly in the drydown. Eau Sauvage used to be a Hedionic bomb and drydown was a bouquet supported on a plonk of Oakmoss so very similar. Any man who would prefer not to wear theirs can give me a shout and perhaps we can work a deal. Part of the attraction for me is that there were no reforms.

- - - Updated - - -

Chanel five is a good comparison with it's Adelhydes. I wear No 5 periodically, however it really scents better on my girl.
    Dior Dior the structure hit that spot for me particularly in the drydown. Eau Sauvage used to be a Hedionic bomb and drydown was a bouquet supported on a plonk of Oakmoss so very similar. Any man who would prefer not to wear theirs can give me a shout and perhaps we can work a deal. Part of the attraction for me is that there were no reforms.
    Between Cook.bot, Grayspoole and Bavard I agree this is quite becoming a go to thread.

Basenotes Plus

I have Diorissimo EDT in the houndstooth box and white plastic cap spray. It's so beautiful, with a warm sensuous undertow to the flowers. It lasts for hours too. I've just blind bought Miss Dior in the same packaging, so this is a reassuring thread! It may arrive today. Both good deals on eBay.

Basenotes Plus

Dear Mrs. Dalloway-

How fun! Do tell us what you think about your vintage Miss Dior when it arrives and how you think it compares to the Miss Dior Originale that I see is your SOTD, or SOYesterday.

I have a mini parfum of the 2011 Originale version that I think is quite true to the vintage. (So I guess I have two modern Dior versions after all, but one is just a mini.). I don't know how well the Originale version is faring in 2017, does anyone? When reviewers describe the original Miss Dior as sharp, aldehydic, and many other adjectives that Miss Dior definitely is NOT, it makes me wonder if the current Originale EDT is very dfferent. (Like the current No. 19 EDT, which bears no resemblance to the original.)

I never see testers of Miss Dior Originale EDT on the counter. I have tested the various pink hued and updated Miss Diors...Cherie, Blooming Bouquet, etc. etc...on department store shopping expeditions, but I will draw a veil over those experiences. I probably need to ask the Dior SA to bring out a tester of Miss Dior Orginale from the hidden depths of the cabinet.

Cut to scene of me, requesting a tester of Azuree at the Estee Lauder counter: SA (fearfully): Are you sure?

Basenotes Plus

I have tested the various pink hued and updated Miss Diors [... ] on department store shopping expeditions, but I will draw a veil over those experiences.
    Such admirable discretion.

Cut to scene of me, requesting a tester of Azuree at the Estee Lauder counter: SA (fearfully): Are you sure?
    Basenoters: Proudly frightening SAs worldwide since 1999.

Always be smelling

I have seen this mostly with Lauder SA. They are woefully uninformed. To try Lauder for men I was shunted from one Lauder kiosk to another at Macys. Finally I went to their head lady and she walked with me to Women's counter and opened a locked drawer to bring out a tester of Lauder for Men. It is easier to Test Malle's Night than this Lauder.

Basenotes Plus

Epapsiou, any assessment yet on the vintage Diorissimo you just received?

Was it another Dior no-go in your wife's opinion?

Always be smelling

Epapsiou, any assessment yet on the vintage Diorissimo you just received?

Was it another Dior no-go in your wife's opinion?
    Oh no. Have not given to wife yet. Her Bday is tomorrow. She likes Muguet. So this may work

Quote Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen View Post
    Awww, that was Mummy Beaverhausen's signature all throughout my childhood, before she went over to the darkside and Chanel No 5.

I've a couple of bottles in my collection, it is exceptionally good and woefully underrated IMO.

It shall be tomorrow's SotD.
    I see you did get in your wearing of Miss Dior. Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDalloway View Post
    I have Diorissimo EDT in the houndstooth box and white plastic cap spray. It's so beautiful, with a warm sensuous undertow to the flowers. It lasts for hours too. I've just blind bought Miss Dior in the same packaging, so this is a reassuring thread! It may arrive today. Both good deals on eBay.
    "Sensuous undertow," I like that. I was wearing the extrait/parfum of Diorissimo. It was slightly too much for me, but certainly an interesting, intriguing fragrance.

If the Miss Dior doesn't suit you, you can sell it to me.

Diorella - This is another beauty.

It has so many notes listed:

Sicilian Lemon, Peach, Asil, Italian Bergamot, Melon, Green Notes
    Honeysuckle, Jasmine, Violet, Rose Bud, Carnation, Cyclamen, Oakmoss
    Vanilla, Clove, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Musk, Patchouli

I think I'm smelling lemon and bergamot citrus over naturally sweet flowers. It's delicious. For reference, Grayspoole has a link pasted above for a write-up she did on Diorella.

As lovely and delicious as this is, it's enjoyable in a more passive way than in a way that gets its hooks into me. There's no clear Chanel analog for this, although the citrus notes remind me of 31 Rue Cambon, but this does not have the iris of 31 Rue Cambon, and my impression is that this is a relatively tame, light, subtle fragrance, albeit delicious. This may be more similar to Guerlain in style than Chanel.

Summary

Miss Dior - In 1947, it may have been envisioned for women, but the listed notes such as galbanum, bergamot, patchouli, oakmoss, and sandalwood are favorites in male perfumery, and it smells so irreproachably classic, it's hard not to love.

Diorama and Diorella - Beautiful, well done fragrances with fruit notes. I have the impression that a lot of perfumes old and new may overlap with or copy these styles. These are safe and restrained, just slightly leaning feminine in 2017, and office appropriate. Diorama has interesting development. Diorella smells especially edible.

Dior Dior - A beautiful, sexy fragrance, similar to Chanel No. 5, to my nose.

Diorrissimo - A big, bold, fragrance too powerful for everyday use for me, but a great option to make a big impression.

I'd be happy having bottles of all of them, even Diorissimo, which mostly won me over with its development, and is just especially interesting besides.

Always be smelling

Great summary Bavard

Underneath, the basic structure of Diorella is that of a masculine citrus chypre (ie Eau Sauvage vintage), but with delicious doses of ripe fruits. They balance well the sharpness of the citrus. I agree that it's not very Chanel-y - the closest thing in Chanel would be pour monsieur (vintage).

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Dear Mrs. Dalloway-

How fun! Do tell us what you think about your vintage Miss Dior when it arrives and how you think it compares to the Miss Dior Originale that I see is your SOTD, or SOYesterday.

I have a mini parfum of the 2011 Originale version that I think is quite true to the vintage. (So I guess I have two modern Dior versions after all, but one is just a mini.). I don't know how well the Originale version is faring in 2017, does anyone? When reviewers describe the original Miss Dior as sharp, aldehydic, and many other adjectives that Miss Dior definitely is NOT, it makes me wonder if the current Originale EDT is very dfferent. (Like the current No. 19 EDT, which bears no resemblance to the original.)

I never see testers of Miss Dior Originale EDT on the counter. I have tested the various pink hued and updated Miss Diors...Cherie, Blooming Bouquet, etc. etc...on department store shopping expeditions, but I will draw a veil over those experiences. I probably need to ask the Dior SA to bring out a tester of Miss Dior Orginale from the hidden depths of the cabinet.

'Miss Dior Originale' was just the closest I could find in the Directory - is there an entry for 'proper' Miss Dior somewhere? I really enjoyed it, especially the beautiful drydown. The bottle turned out to be older than my Diorissimo, and it's a gas pressurised spray so sputtered everywhere, but seems in good condition. Happy buy - 60ml for £26 plus shipping. I was the only bidder.

Basenotes Plus

You've done all my old Dior babies very proud, Bavard.

Cacio is right, Diorella is of course the female twin of Eau Sauvage (same parent), and just six years younger than him, I believe. Just fruitier.

Diorissimo's interest to me is just as a museum piece. But Dior-Dior (if I could find/afford more of the damned stuff), Diorama and Diorella are completely wearable today and seem very modern to me, as does Eau Sauvage. People talk a lot about JC Ellena's "radiance" and "transparency", but both those qualities are evident in Roudnitska's work for Dior, and in fact I think Ellena has acknowledged as much in his writings about Roudnitska.

Miss Dior, on the other hand, seems almost sui generis to me. I don't feel the connection others do to No. 5.

If it turns out that there is a heaven, I think I could be quite content there if it contained nothing but everlasting fountains of these old original Diors. (Well, that plus a little Eau d'Hermes.)

One Dior from this same houndstooth era that we haven't discussed here is Eau Fraiche. I don't own any (yet), but maybe Grayspoole could add a few thoughts about it.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Great summary Bavard
    Yes, I agree.

Radiance and Transparency. I agree with Ellena. Perhap's it will allow me to take another look at a few Hermescense. It looks as if I'm best to start with Vintage Diorissimo and Muguet Porcelain.
    My opinion of most of Ellena's Hermes contributions have been "Uninterestingly Pretty"
    Roudnitska's Dior and other contributions are interesting, beautiful and buoyant. Period.
    I'm jaded by the fact of my Falling in Love with Eau Sauvage in 1968 and the "Fan-Boy" that I am.

Cook.bot, Grayspoole and Bavard I really enjoy your pictures and explanations of your experience of Vintages and bottle idiosyncrasies.

Basenotes Plus

'Miss Dior Originale' was just the closest I could find in the Directory - is there an entry for 'proper' Miss Dior somewhere?
    No, there isn't, MrsD. Dior has made it as confusing as possible for afficionados with their endless renaming of the Miss & Family. They tried to pass off Originale as a throwback to the original formula, but nobody with half an olfactory bulb was fooled.

I really enjoyed it, especially the beautiful drydown. The bottle turned out to be older than my Diorissimo, and it's a gas pressurised spray so sputtered everywhere, but seems in good condition. Happy buy - 60ml for £26 plus shipping. I was the only bidder.
    That seems like a fine bargain to me. I think Grayspoole and I both agreed that those gas pressurized 'atomiseur' bottles did a better job of preserving scent than the regular vaporisateurs. (Hope I got those terms right, I've confused them before.)

=============================

Here's JC Ellena's profile of Roudnitska, in original French, with photographs:
    http://www.art-et-parfum.com/textes/ellenaus.htm

And here's a text file of a clunky English translation I got by just running it through Google Translate:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...TZNN3hJdmthSjA

Basenotes Plus

Hi everyone!

This is such an engaging discussion! I wish we could all be around a table, exchanging vintage Dior samples and sniffing away as we talk. I don’t know how to do the nifty short quotation thing yet, but I wanted to respond to some of the great observations. Let’s see if this works...

@Bavard

Excellent description, and I see how Diorissimo parfum would suggest this. Me, I wear Diorissimo with a white starched shirt, instead of an aldehydic (powdery) floral such as vintage Madame Rochas or 1000. Not sure why, but while I do perceive the sharpness of its florality, Diorissimo still feels delicate and clean, rather than bold or indolic. Further investigation is clearly required.

@MrsDalloway
    'Miss Dior Originale' was just the closest I could find in the Directory - is there an entry for 'proper' Miss Dior somewhere? I really enjoyed it, especially the beautiful drydown.

Ah, now I understand! I misunderstood. Your Miss Dior bottle is also “houndstooth era” just like your Diorissimo. It sounds wonderful. The Basenotes Directory has only one listing for Miss Dior--”Miss Dior Originale (formerly Miss Dior)”--which is certainly reasonable enough but I think that there are differences between the Originale EDT, launched in 2011, and pre-1980’s Miss Dior EDT. Since I haven’t put this to a real test myself I am always curious about this point..

@Epapsiou
    Have not given to wife yet. Her Bday is tomorrow. She likes Muguet. So this may work.

Looking forward to hearing what Mrs. Epapsiou thinks (and many happy returns of the day!)

@Cookbot
    Cacio is right, Diorella is of course the female twin of Eau Sauvage (same parent), and just six years younger than him, I believe. Just fruitier...One Dior from this same houndstooth era that we haven't discussed here is Eau Fraiche. I don't own any (yet), but maybe Grayspoole could add a few thoughts about it.

Unfortunately, I have no Eau Fraiche, but I do have a vintage mini of Eau Sauvage EDT. The resemblance between Diorella and her younger brother, Eau Sauvage, is certainly there, but there are fascinating differences. Eau Sauvage does not explode with citrus and melon like Diorella. It feels gentler, more suave than Diorella to me, with a more smoky, ambery base.

@purecaramel
    Cook.bot, Grayspoole and Bavard I really enjoy your pictures and explanations of your experience of Vintages and bottle idiosyncrasies.

Glad to hear it! I could blather about vintage perfume all day, but my family can only stand so much.

@purecaramel
    All of these are Scrumpdilicious, however the Dior Dior really melted my heart. I found great associations with my first bottle of Eau Sauvage 1968.

Interesting! Must explore this: perhaps Eau Sauvage sits between Diorella and Dior Dior?

Have a great evening everyone. I wore vintage Diorling parfum today. It’s lovely, but I have very complicated feelings about it. Does anyone else think that Diorling is just a tamed Bandit? (I adore Bandit….)

Basenotes Plus

Talking Re: Women's Dior Circa 1980

Such admirable discretion.

LOL!

I've noticed lately that the SA's at Nordstrom know me,disappear, when I visit for a sniff and a chat. I usually get challenged by the semi-knowledgeable that aren't immunized to flattery.
    I rarely leave without a couple of samples. (Even if it's simply to have me go away.)

Diorling as an untamed Bandit? This has me salivating... Of course I would prefer the untamed-but any reference is of interest.

Basenotes Plus

Diorling as an untamed Bandit? This has me salivating... Of course I would prefer the untamed-but any reference is of interest.
    Dear Cacio-

I would be thirsty for it too, but I find Diorling (pre 1980) to be a tamed, gentler Bandit. Lovely, but I am loyal to Bandit in both vintage and current forms. I will try to post more specific comments later. Perhaps I will find Diorling's raison d'être in further testing--I have not worn it very much since I have onky 1/8 oz of the vintage parfum and a sample of an EDT that was said to be vintage but is possibly no older than the 2000 reissue.

What do others think of Diorling?