Code of Conduct
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Wearing Perfume Right Now

Default Re: Women's Dior Circa 1980

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    I'll say this, I'm really glad this sampling group is not a sample pass. I don't want to send any of these away.
    These are on par with vintage Guerlain and Chanel, for my tastes, my trio of favorites houses. (Honorable mention: Hermes, Patou).

Basenotes Institution

I wore Diorella (vintage EdT) today for the 1st time. I loved it.

Why did I keep smelling something that reminded me of Sous le Vent? Anyone else get a similarity between these two?

Edit: I didn't smell cumin. I did smell citrus, melon, hedione (I think...) and herbs. Cilantro?
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I wore Diorella (vintage EdT) today for the 1st time. I loved it.

Why did I keep smelling something that reminded me of Sous le Vent? Anyone else get a similarity between these two?

Edit: I didn't smell cumin. I did smell citrus, melon, hedione (I think...) and herbs. Cilantro?
    I'm especially interested in Sous le Vent, so I did a comparison wearing with Diorella.

Sous le Vent is a more typical chypre. Oak moss is the main note. It also has "heat" similar to Patou Pour Homme and Bandit, perhaps from galbanum? It's a spicy cinnamon heat in this case - maybe different from Patou Pour Homme and Bandit (there's some overlap among these three, I can't say what all).

For my tastes, it does not get much better than Sous le Vent. Maybe vintage Chanel Pour Monsieur, or Mitsouko.

Diorella has much more of the fruit / woods / playful accord - less serious, more of a unique style - rounded - vintage Dior - completely missing the heat of Sous le Vent - overly soft and inviting - it's all about the fruit. Without fruit, it's just a light, soapy woods.

Switching back and forth - Diorella smells like a baby. It's that soft and innocent. Sous le Vent is like cinnamon sticks, almost dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    These are on par with vintage Guerlain and Chanel, for my tastes, my trio of favorites houses. (Honorable mention: Hermes, Patou).
    Totally agree. The old Diors speak in a unique, distinctive voice, just like any other Grand Maison. And here I was just telling you that I'm not trying to grow my collection.

Final thoughts on Diorella, well, I still love it! I cannot possibly choose a favorite between the two examples CB sent. I do feel like the 1990 version is just a tad heavier on the peachy, honeysuckle vibe. This is actually in line with early 90s trends and I wonder if it wasn't tweaked a bit for just that reason. Otherwise, the late mid to drydown phases were extremely similiar to my nose. Both sublime. I also still think Kotori's 2014 version holds up well.

As far as any comparisons go, I find that difficult in general because again, these really just say "Dior" to me. Le Parfum de Therese is obviously a descendant , though I agree in retrospect an unsatisfying one. DelRae's Mythique is another that gladly revels in the Dior-style garbage pail of fruits, and I'd say the house style in general pays a bit of tribute to Dior. But the only classic chypre I can say really smells similar to the Dior fruity chypres (Diorella and Diorama), to my nose, is Rochas Femme. They certainly share that peachy glow and the chypre category with Mitsouko, but I don't really find them Guerlain-like at all.

And today, Dior Dior is just killing me. Yes, I read the posts about the hen's teeth availability. This is another I'd never smelled before. Aldehydes are similar to No.5 but for me, any comparison ends there. It seems close in style and mood, though not smell, to VC&A's First, also released in 1976 and which I also love. Parfum d'Hermes, which came in 1984, seems to have studied Dior Dior closely. But I love Dior Dior more than either of those, and again, comparisons don't do it justice. I love this style, straddling lines across floral aldehyde and woody chypre categories. This feels the most Parisian high couture of these to me so far. I'm so thrilled to have a generous decant of this. My favorite so far, though some Diorella and Diorissimo will make fine consolation prizes.

Nice mention of Parfums Delrae. I like their style. The Tigerlily shop in San Francisco had them when I visited last summer, and I took home some samples.

I agree with your notes on Dior Dior. Nothing hits the spot like a well done floral aldehydic woody chypre.

I like DelRae's style, too! Really a beautiful house for those whose tastes lean classic. Mythique and Eau Illuminee are my favorites.

Basenotes Plus

You both got me interested in DelRae. I guess I missed Bavard's thread last summer.

I just checked their website; they only make 9 scents, and 7 of them are sold out, as are all their samples. Tiger Lily only has 3 of them, and none are the ones that caught my fancy. There are none stocked at LuckyScent. Doesn't sound like they're a very flourishing enterprise.

Not surprising to find some commonality with Delrae and some of the classic Diors... Michel Roudnitska did Bois de Paradis, Amoureuse, Eau Illuminee, Emotionelle and Debut (lily of the valley).

I remember reading a lovely interview DelRae Roth with where she talked about the creative process, working with and visiting Michel in Grasse. I’m certain the complementary aesthetic is both intentional and authentic!
    Chypreish”:
    /ˈSHēpRAiSH/
    adjective
    (of a person or expression) to be desirous of an abundance of chypre.
    "Today, she was feeling chypreish”

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    You both got me interested in DelRae. I guess I missed Bavard's thread last summer.

I just checked their website; they only make 9 scents, and 7 of them are sold out, as are all their samples. Tiger Lily only has 3 of them, and none are the ones that caught my fancy. There are none stocked at LuckyScent. Doesn't sound like they're a very flourishing enterprise.
    Essenza in Seattle has Amoureuse and Coup de Foudre in stock. It might be worth a call to see if they are getting more of the others.
    https://shop.essenza-inc.com/collections/parfums-delrae

They seem to sell out quickly when they get stock, and DelRae only produces limited quantities. I think she’s selling everything she produces. Art et Parfums linked to stockists some years back, but I think this is well out of date now. Luckyscent had at least 5 of the range for a while. BDP had more 5 star reviews than any scent I’ve seen on their site (disclaimer... I’ve probably not seen them all I was really surprised to see so many rave reviews for a scent that seems to fly under the radar.
    Chypreish”:
    /ˈSHēpRAiSH/
    adjective

Quote Originally Posted by Lellabelle View Post
    Not surprising to find some commonality with Delrae and some of the classic Diors... Michel Roudnitska did Bois de Paradis, Amoureuse, Eau Illuminee, Emotionelle and Debut (lily of the valley).

I remember reading a lovely interview DelRae Roth with where she talked about the creative process, working with and visiting Michel in Grasse. I’m certain the complementary aesthetic is both intentional and authentic!
    Oh, wow! Thanks for this! I did know Michel was the perfumer for Eau Illuminee but I didn't realize he had done so many others or that the working relationship was such a close, hands-on on collaboration. Very interesting!

You’re most welcome! Their collaboration was why I went searching for the Delrae perfumes in the first place. Edmond Roudnitska is probably my favourite perfumer of all time, and Michel is notoriously selective about who he works with; I figured it would be worth chasing these down. I tried them all and ended up with a bottle of BDP. It’s a lovely blackberry rose, with soft woods and spices.
    Chypreish”:
    /ˈSHēpRAiSH/
    adjective

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post

Final thoughts on Diorella, well, I still love it! I cannot possibly choose a favorite between the two examples CB sent. I do feel like the 1990 version is just a tad heavier on the peachy, honeysuckle vibe. This is actually in line with early 90s trends and I wonder if it wasn't tweaked a bit for just that reason. Otherwise, the late mid to drydown phases were extremely similiar to my nose. Both sublime. I also still think Kotori's 2014 version holds up well.
    I’m glad to know my version is a pretty good one. I know I enjoy it. I suppose I should have smelled the Diorella they were selling at Sak’s just to see. I’m about halfway down on my bottle.

Parfums Delrae is on my radar...
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Silk Blossom by Jo Malone

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Lellabelle View Post
    Edmond Roudnitska is probably my favourite perfumer of all time,
    Then you're certainly among your tribe here in this thread, Lelabelle. If you know any of his old Diors we've been discussing here, please do jump in with any thoughts you have.

Oh, Lellabelle, I didn't even try all the DelRae's and still found two I'd love to have! You're scaring me with this Bois de Paradis talk; I'm a big sucker for a great rose!

Dang it, I was hoping you had smelled Diorella in Chicago, Kotori! I should have just bought it right away went you sent the sample. I do not relish the vintage hunt, though I will tolerate it where necessary. For me, if I knew Diorella is still in the same shape as your bottle, I wouldn't find it necessary. But then again, I did come of age in the early 90s and the sample from that period is really speaking to me. I wouldn't hate tracking some of that down! I'm beginning to see that Diorella is a good candidate for rabbit hole type exploration; smelling any and all versions one can lay nostrils on. Getting to know her from all angles could be a hobby in itself.

Freed from BN Institution

Where would a potential Dior newbie like me fit in?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Institution

I'm especially interested in Sous le Vent, so I did a comparison wearing with Diorella.

Sous le Vent is a more typical chypre. Oak moss is the main note. It also has "heat" similar to Patou Pour Homme and Bandit, perhaps from galbanum? It's a spicy cinnamon heat in this case - maybe different from Patou Pour Homme and Bandit (there's some overlap among these three, I can't say what all).

For my tastes, it does not get much better than Sous le Vent. Maybe vintage Chanel Pour Monsieur, or Mitsouko.

Diorella has much more of the fruit / woods / playful accord - less serious, more of a unique style - rounded - vintage Dior - completely missing the heat of Sous le Vent - overly soft and inviting - it's all about the fruit. Without fruit, it's just a light, soapy woods.

Switching back and forth - Diorella smells like a baby. It's that soft and innocent. Sous le Vent is like cinnamon sticks, almost dangerous.
    Yep Sous le Vent is, I think, my favorite chypre. I love it. Bavard have you smelled Philtre d'Amour by Guerlain? Which, IMO, is very close to SLV. It, and Aubepine Acacia by Creed are very similar and maybe *those* have more in common with the Dior.

I will take note of both, next time I wear Sous le Vent and Diorella.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Bavard have you smelled Philtre d'Amour by Guerlain? Which, IMO, is very close to SLV. It, and Aubepine Acacia by Creed are very similar and maybe *those* have more in common with the Dior.
    I haven't tried Guerlain Philtre d'Amour. I have tried Aubephine Acacia which I remember being ok.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I think there's a lot to be said for the current versions of the classics.

Great discussions of Diorella! I adore this perfume, which I have in the houndstooth EDT packaging (1980’s) as well as the parfum, which was discontinued in the early 1980’s. To me, vintage Diorella is all about strong contrasts and contradictions. Tangy citrus paired with ripe stone fruit. Fresh cilantro and basil (not dried cumin seed) and languid jasmine. Green patchouli leaves. Exuberant vegetal life...and death. Since reading Brosius’ comment that vintage Diorella’s animalic undertone is reminiscent of a dead mouse I’ve been unable to think of this note in any other way. It’s exactly that. But Barbara Hermann also captured it beautifully when she wrote that Diorella teaches us to find “beauty in the intersection of garbage and flowers.” But I have to say that nothing in Diorella smells like fruity, flowery garbage to me. Decaying fruit and flowers smell sour and moldy. Meanwhile, the mouse in Diorella has been dead for a long time, and his remains are now dry, dusty, musky, and faintly sweet. I have been trying to figure out what ingredient Roudnitska could have used to create this effect and, sadly, I still have no clue. I think it might be some kind of nitromusk.

No one seems to be emphasizing Diorella’s skanky/funky side so I am wondering if this ingredient has been removed in the versions being discussed? Or replaced with cumin? If Bavard can write, “Diorella smells like a baby. It's that soft and innocent” I would have to say this might be a different Diorella than the one I know
    Currently wearing: Métal by Paco Rabanne

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Hi N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer-

I've been wondering about this, and I will send you samples so we can put it to the test. Looking at how you rate the perfumes in your wardrobe, I think you like some warmth in a perfume's base, and the one thing that is notable about vintage Diors is the almost complete absence of vanilla, labdanum, and ambery resins. It is as if Dior and his perfumers were consciously avoiding comparisons to the Guerlain aesthetic. So I think you might like vintage Dioressence. It is the only vintage Dior that has an "oriental" [sic] personality.

Would vintage Miss Dior and Diorella be too floral for you? But they are extraordinary compositions so maybe not...

And I think you might enjoy vintage Eau Sauvage, although I made the mistake of suggesting vintage ES to a younger male friend, who tried it and, alas, found it too "mature." So he gave the mini back to me.

I get no cumin or anything especially animalic/skanky.

Looking back, I had initially described Cook.bot's version of Diorella as a "relatively tame, light, subtle fragrance, albeit delicious," so fairly similar to my re-testing impressions from Tuesday night. The fruit to me isn't rotten or even overripe. It's well-preserved produce, like emulsified fruits in glass jars used for baby food.

Basenotes Institution

Yeah vintage Diorella EdT isn't cheap. It's not crazy expensive but it's a healthy bite out of my wallet. However, I really feel like I need a bottle now that I've worn it.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I get no cumin or anything especially animalic/skanky.

Looking back, I had initially described Cook.bot's version of Diorella as a "relatively tame, light, subtle fragrance, albeit delicious," so fairly similar to my re-testing impressions from Tuesday night. The fruit to me isn't rotten or even overripe. It's well-preserved produce, like emulsified fruits in glass jars used for baby food.
    Ahhh...and we go merrily around the hermeneutic circle again.

I wasn't casting shade on your description, Bavard. Even sweaty babies smell great, but they are definitely not skanky...no hormones.

Meanwhile, I don't think that I live up to vintage Diorella, even on my best days. It always makes me think of Diane von Fustenberg in her prime:

IMG_3140.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Ahhh...and we go merrily around the hermeneutic circle again.

I wasn't casting shade on your description, Bavard. Even sweaty babies smell great, but they are definitely not skanky...no hormones.

Meanwhile, I don't think that I live up to vintage Diorella, even on my best days. It always makes me think of Diane von Fustenberg in her prime:

IMG_3140.JPG
    Understanding "context" and the "whole picture?" That does sound merry.

Diane is apparently still in her prime (May 2019):

hero-credit-dvf.jpg

Basenotes Plus

I received Bavard's sample from his metal-bottle edition of Diorama yesterday, and from top to bottom it was a most peculiar experience.

First off, the ink on the label had been completely dissolved by perfume -- and yet, there was no evidence of leakage inside its container baggie, the label itself had been covered with cellotape, and the vial itself was full to the top.

Then, thinking I would sniff the juice before I applied it to skin, I unscrewed the cap of the vial and POW -- there was an explosion of gas right in my hand! How can this be? Does the gas used in the pressurized bottle actually homogenize with the liquid and remain that way even after it's removed from the bottle?

Then when I screwed the cap back on, I noticed that the liquid content of the vial had reduced by half, even though no appreciable amount of perfume seemed to have escaped onto my hands during the gas explosion. What the heck is going on here?

When I did spray some of the sample onto my wrist, more bafflement ensued. This smells nothing like any Diorama I've experienced. I could have sworn the opening was a huge aldehyde assault, where that's only been a minor aspect of other Dioramas -- or was this a mind trick from the gases? Then, very light greens of the crushed-leaf variety, with none of the vegetable skank of sappy broken stems like my other Dioramas. The florals that came through for me were equally light, seeming mostly like a fragile jasmine and some LOTV -- but I really didn't get the powderiness that Bavard did, maybe just a little bit, more of the baby powder variety than the makeup variety. And as for fruit, there was absolutely none at all.

I can't speak much to the base, because I fell asleep not long after applying it, but there was no scent at all left when I woke up today. I'm going to give this a full, attentive wearing tomorrow, because I'm very, very confused by it.

I haven’t paid attention to whether spray bottles are pressurized up to now, but I think I’ll be more careful to avoid them.

The sample disappearing is the kind of thing that has happened to me before.

Ideally, there’d be little deviation from circa 1980. The 60s bottle isn't my ideal Diorama.
    Last edited by Bavard; 8th June 2019 at 12:10 AM.

I unscrewed the cap of the vial and POW -- there was an explosion of gas right in my hand! How can this be? Does the gas used in the pressurized bottle actually homogenize with the liquid and remain that way even after it's removed from the bottle?
    Hi Cook.bot
    I confirm your supposition, this happened to me too with a vial of vintage Tweed from a pressurized bottle.

Always be smelling

I received Bavard's sample from his metal-bottle edition of Diorama yesterday, and from top to bottom it was a most peculiar experience.

First off, the ink on the label had been completely dissolved by perfume -- and yet, there was no evidence of leakage inside its container baggie, the label itself had been covered with cellotape, and the vial itself was full to the top.

Then, thinking I would sniff the juice before I applied it to skin, I unscrewed the cap of the vial and POW -- there was an explosion of gas right in my hand! How can this be? Does the gas used in the pressurized bottle actually homogenize with the liquid and remain that way even after it's removed from the bottle?

Then when I screwed the cap back on, I noticed that the liquid content of the vial had reduced by half, even though no appreciable amount of perfume seemed to have escaped onto my hands during the gas explosion. What the heck is going on here?

When I did spray some of the sample onto my wrist, more bafflement ensued. This smells nothing like any Diorama I've experienced. I could have sworn the opening was a huge aldehyde assault, where that's only been a minor aspect of other Dioramas -- or was this a mind trick from the gases? Then, very light greens of the crushed-leaf variety, with none of the vegetable skank of sappy broken stems like my other Dioramas. The florals that came through for me were equally light, seeming mostly like a fragile jasmine and some LOTV -- but I really didn't get the powderiness that Bavard did, maybe just a little bit, more of the baby powder variety than the makeup variety. And as for fruit, there was absolutely none at all.

I can't speak much to the base, because I fell asleep not long after applying it, but there was no scent at all left when I woke up today. I'm going to give this a full, attentive wearing tomorrow, because I'm very, very confused by it.
    Decants form atomiseur are always a bad idea and I try to not do them anymore. Disaster waiting to happen both when you make decants and when you open them after a while.
    The juice has the pressurizing medium in it. So you need to keep the decant open for a couple days but that will also make the real jus evaporate.
    Then when you get the decant, invert it and spray it out. That way you are depressurizing the decant by letting just the gas out.
    But in the end you are left with extrait de atomiseur - and that is not the same as EDT in the atomiseur.
    So decants for atomiseur are not going to smell as intended by the perfumer.

tl;dr : never judge a perfume from an atomiseur decant.
    tl;dr tldr: Do not decant atomiseur.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

Basenotes Plus

I haven’t paid attention to whether spray bottles are pressurized up to now, but I think I’ll be more careful to avoid them.
    That would be a shame, since some of the best-preserved vintage scents I've had came from pressurized atomizeurs, particularly some old Balmains.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilturko View Post
    I confirm your supposition, this happened to me too with a vial of vintage Tweed from a pressurized bottle.
    Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    The juice has the pressurizing medium in it.
    This is news to me. I don't think I've ever heard it discussed before. I always assumed there was just gas in the bottle that displaced the oxygen that would be present in a natural-spray vapo bottle.

So you need to keep the decant open for a couple days but that will also make the real jus evaporate.
    Then when you get the decant, invert it and spray it out. That way you are depressurizing the decant by letting just the gas out.
    I have decanted atomiseurs before (but just for my own use, not for shipping) and haven't had this explosion happen. I wonder, could it all be aggravated by the heat and jostling of the shipping process?

But thanks, Papsi, I'm very glad to know about the resting and inverting procedure.

But in the end you are left with extrait de atomiseur - and that is not the same as EDT in the atomiseur.
    This might explain the "aldehyde" blast I thought I got. Maybe it was just "extrait de atomiseur".

So decants for atomiseur are not going to smell as intended by the perfumer.
    Well, according to Bavard, this one didn't smell like known iterations of Diorama even when it was straight from his bottle and not decanted. So what I'm smelling is probably an even further diminished rendition.

Now I'm extra-eager to hear Grayspoole's and PL's reactions to their samples of it.

Holy smokes, have I learned a bunch today! I've never had anything like Cook.bot's experience! What a lot of useful knowledge in these last several posts; thank you to all who chimed in on the atomiseurs.

My Diorama from Bavard also seemed to have had some seepage as well, though I could still decipher the label, I did see some droplets in the bag (but not to worry Bavard; I still have a generous amount to work with and the rest of the package stayed dry!), and thankfully, NO explosions! I most likely did turn the decant upside down as I was peeling tape off the baggie, and I did then spray immediately. It seems I cluelessly lucked into epap's suggested method.

It's astounding how un-Diorama-like it is, at least in the early stages. I honestly tore into to it straight away because sniffing the decant, it smelled like No.5 (and I happen to like that). Very, verrry aldehydic up top! I do see what Bavard means about floral, baby powder; it's an accord I love. It's most certainly not what I think one would expect when purchasing Diorama, though.

I did find it grew a little closer to what I'd expect in the later phases but really, if smelling blind, I don't believe I'd guess it as Diorama or even Dior. But I like it! I do need a longer sniff of this and probably a side by side comparison with CB's example as well. My studies at Institut de Dior continue!

Edit: Cook.bot, I always thought the same as you, that gas simply displaced oxygen in the bottle. But it sure sounds like your sample is cookin' with gas!

Always be smelling

This is news to me. I don't think I've ever heard it discussed before. I always assumed there was just gas in the bottle that displaced the oxygen that would be present in a natural-spray vapo bottle.

I have decanted atomiseurs before (but just for my own use, not for shipping) and haven't had this explosion happen. I wonder, could it all be aggravated by the heat and jostling of the shipping process?
    Been a while since chemistry class but a few things I am 99% sure of
    1) There is no way that gas is oxygen in natural spray cause that is the worst gas to use. Probably just air or Argon
    2) The gas in the empty space you see is not enough to propel 100ml juice. Not even close
    3) The gas that is needed to propel atomiseur is dissolved in the juice (because of the pressure). By pressing the nozzle the liquified gas becomes ,well, gaseous cause pressure is lowered and hence you see the spray.
    4) Decant atomiseurs are almost always extrait-de-atomiser. The only exception is if you have airtight and strong decant container to hold the pressure.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast